Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theliontamer37 t1_j24yz7t wrote

Yup , that’s how it should be. You do you, and let everyone else do them.

−28

Impressive-Ride-7537 t1_j2515iq wrote

Well then you sir clearly don’t care about the elderly and children you monster! Ahh

SomePolack t1_j2586ur wrote

This is why we never contained COVID, something that would’ve been possible.

But muh freedom and having a never-ending pandemic is more important.

camelCaseAccountName t1_j25rdmz wrote

>This is why we never contained COVID, something that would’ve been possible.

It was definitely not possible, and actually never even the goal of lockdowns and other such measures (that was to slow the spread and prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed). It is simply impossible to totally contain a virus like this. Zero COVID is a total myth.

(And for the record, I'm fully in support of vaccine mandates and mask recommendations)

magellanNH t1_j25y1nu wrote

IMO, it depends on what you're willing to do and for how long. China's problem was that they didn't have an end game.

Before the vaccine, countries other than China, like Japan and Australia for example, strived for zero-covid with pretty harsh interventions. Both countries took less of a hit to GDP than the US did and both had significantly fewer deaths per capita than we did (US 3,226 deaths/million, Japan 453, Australia 648).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

Even China isn't guaranteed to end up worse off than us. Epidemiologists are predicting 500k to 1 million deaths in China from this wave. If that happens, that'll put them at around 1/5 the death rate we had in the US. Also, they barely took any hit to GDP in 2020 and 2021 compared to the US (in 2022 they did take a hit, but it didn't come close to the hits we took).

So if we're keeping score, several countries implemented zero covid policies and did much better than the US in terms of both deaths and GDP hit.

SomePolack t1_j25rpcx wrote

Agree to disagree. I’m not saying everyone should’ve stayed home forever, but there were definitely more things to do before we gave up and let it spread everywhere.

Let’s not act like there was ever a lockdown - there was people staying home voluntarily.

−5

theliontamer37 t1_j258qu0 wrote

Yup chinas no covid approach worked well. Lmfao

OldCoaly t1_j25e9h9 wrote

Is this the part where we pretend there’s literally no middle ground between being welded into your own home and not being allowed to tell customers in your own business to wear a mask?

I think we should encourage vaccination as much as possible, allow businesses to enforce their mask rules if they see fit, not whine at people taking measures to protect themselves, and proudly call out people that think they are freedom fighters but actually just don’t want to be inconvenienced in any way by limiting their public presence when they have COVID or another contagious illness. Those people aren’t noble patriots fighting tyranny, they are jerks that think their desire not to be inconvenienced matters more than the health of otters.

Let’s be honest. Masks aren’t hard to wear. I played D1 volleyball with an n95. Don’t try to tell me it’s impossible to survive a trip to the stop and shop with a mask on. If your or anyone else’s lungs are that frail, a COVID infection will destroy you.

theliontamer37 t1_j25fu1h wrote

Where did I say it’s hard to wear a mask? I wore a mask even when they had those ridiculous rules in place where you had to wear em when you came into a bar, but could take them off and stand shoulder to shoulder with ppl once you had a drink. I got double booster as soon as I could, and I’ve had two boosters. I don’t judge ppl, or businesses, who choose to be cautious or choose to implement policies in their place of business. It wouldn’t stop me from visiting a store if I had to wear a mask. What I am against is the government forcing business to implement policies that they don’t want to at this point. Thats why my first comment said let everyone do what they’re comfortable with.

−7

OldCoaly t1_j25mznd wrote

Sorry, I don’t want to put words in your mouth. You contrasted no rules with a literal authoritarian lockdown. The US was never enforcing anything like China has. Sure, some of the rules were ridiculous, but my whole point is there is gray area between the two extremes. I think mask mandates made complete sense earlier when there was little immunity, vaccine or natural, for the public. I haven’t seen any proposals yet for businesses, only BPS, and studies showed the effectiveness of the mandates in the schools. That’s the government setting the rules for a government-run system. I just reflexively have to respond when it seems people try to equate any restrictions at all with police barricading you in like China.

SomePolack t1_j25blyn wrote

Oh wow the place wher the virus originated is still dealing with it? I’m shocked.

−8

theliontamer37 t1_j25bzry wrote

Lmfao yup. The country where it originated, whose been dealing with it the longest, implemented the longest and strictest lockdowns in the world and it still didn’t contain covid. Thanks for proving my point bud, appreciate it

SomePolack t1_j25h97i wrote

Yeah except that’s not what’s happened in China but sure ok bud.

−5

theliontamer37 t1_j25htpn wrote

Lmfao they were literally locking ppl in their homes. But ok

SomePolack t1_j25k5cm wrote

Yeah in the cities, you realize China is fucking massive right? You think every single person with COVID was locked in a room?

theliontamer37 t1_j25ksem wrote

I know the majority of ppl lived in and entered the cities were under strict covid lockdown restrictions and yet they still weren’t able to contain it. Which was my entire point.

SomePolack t1_j25p7e8 wrote

How could they contain something they were keeping silent? The spread in China was out of control before they could contain it because the CCP lied about it.

HoneydewOk1731 t1_j25bz9i wrote

It would have been physically impossible to prevent it from spreading to the US, unless all incoming flights were suspended. And we know how xenophobic that is perceived to be. The virus has entered endemic mode, and that’s a good thing

−4

SomePolack t1_j25hhvj wrote

Shutting down all flights and then actually having people lockdown. Instead we let people do whatever they wanted and were shocked the virus kept spreading.

America never went into a full lockdown, not even close.

HoneydewOk1731 t1_j25lyss wrote

The lockdown would have to be never ending

−1

SomePolack t1_j25oyi9 wrote

Not true, it ended before we ever got COVID under control so it wouldn’t have to be forever.

HoneydewOk1731 t1_j25pu6o wrote

Doesn’t matter. Unless the entire world agrees to the same lockdown measures, which may not have even worked the way you believe, the US would have to ban air travel indefinitely. I get that people want more reasons to hate Trump, but what you’re saying makes little sense

SomePolack t1_j25q48r wrote

I never even referenced the big bad tangerine and I think Biden has downplayed the pandemic for political unity.

All I’m saying is if I was in charge - we would’ve had no international travel as soon as the report hit my desk. Sort out to the problems later, save a million Americans.

HoneydewOk1731 t1_j25qcpo wrote

Would that travel ban extend into 2023? Because there are countries outside the US still experiencing covid

SomePolack t1_j25s0g2 wrote

Idk, we’re talking about hypotheticals here so who knows. Just saying I would’ve done a lot more than was done, if I had any say.

Definitely wouldn’t have told people not to worry and to keep gathering for holidays.

hawaiianbarrels t1_j258hbl wrote

what’s your solution? Nobody every leaves their house and always tests ? That’s worked really well for China

dante662 t1_j259ea7 wrote

People see what is happening in China and their disconnection with reality really hits home.

​

You cannot "contain" covid. You can stay locked down forever, or you can live with it. You can't semi-lock down, semi-mask, etc. All you are doing is creating more opportunities for the "triple-demic" we are seeing now due to lack of seasonal (and normal) virus circulation.

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_j259jm1 wrote

Well that didn’t work because their vaccine didn’t work.

hawaiianbarrels t1_j25avzo wrote

Right - because all the other vaccine have been so effective in stopping the spread of disease (not lowering hospitalizations but actually stopping the spread)

−8

SomePolack t1_j25hnbc wrote

No, but actually working together as a society to combat it would have been nice. America never fully locked down and many places never isolated at all.

It’s like doing nothing and saying it didn’t work - no shit!

metrowestern t1_j25gk0u wrote

Lol, ok. How’s China doing?

−4

SomePolack t1_j25h5i4 wrote

Idk I live in MA.

metrowestern t1_j25hulg wrote

They locked people in apartment complexes from the outside. People starved to death. It’s terrible there now - travel testing was reinstated yesterday if I’m not mistaken. Containing this was never possible.

SomePolack t1_j25k733 wrote

Defeatist.

metrowestern t1_j25ks1m wrote

You’re an idiot. Stay in your apartment till summer.

−5