Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zaahc t1_j6nudab wrote

Yeah, the monthly pass costs really need a refresh. The train from Salem to North Station is $16/rt. The monthly pass is $261. There were 20 non-holiday weekdays in January, so the $261 monthly pass saved a nice bit over paying $320 for individual rides. But most people I know are only going in three days per week AT MOST. So for them, thirteen pay-per-rides this month is $208 v. $261 for the monthly pass. Plus, the savings grows every time a conductor doesn't check tickets.

man2010 t1_j6o0ldf wrote

They added the 5 day flex pass for this exact scenario

MJAMI7 t1_j6ogqb0 wrote

The 5 day flex passes can only be used within a short amount of time, and for my zone it’s $72. They have the 10 ride option for $80 but those passes are valid for 3 months. But depending on how often you go in, it’s also not cost effective. Then you add parking to any fare, and it’s even less cost effective.

And how is it the Salem fare costs the same as Swampscott, that doesn’t make any sense?! Shouldn’t Swampscott be less?

man2010 t1_j6oif5c wrote

They can be used within 30 days; that's hardly a short amount of time and it isn't based on calendar months like monthly passes are. Obviously it's not cost effective to buy them if you don't take the commuter rail at least 5 days a month, hence these being for people who commute a couple times a week. The 10 ride pack is just 10 individual tickets with no discount so I'm not sure how that's relevant (or why the MBTA even offers it). I'm not sure how you're calculating what's cost effective or not, but the flex passes are 10% cheaper than single tickets which makes it pretty easy to see how they're more cost effective. Salem and Swampscott are also in the same zone, hence their fares being the same.

MJAMI7 t1_j6ok9bh wrote

I go in 2 days a week, so neither option is cost effective for me. I didn’t realize they were in the same zone. There’s only a mile between Lynn and Swampscott, and they were different zones. You’d think they’d both be Zone 2, and Salem as zone 3.

When I took the Providence line, every station was a different zone. No matter the distance between them

man2010 t1_j6om0ql wrote

Unless you have parking included, work somewhere outside of downtown Boston, or carpool, it's almost certainly cheaper to take the commuter rail compared to driving. Regardless, even if it isn't cost effective for you personally, it is for many people who commute into the city a couple days a week but not often enough to need a monthly pass. As for the commuter rail zones, the Newburyport/Rockport line isn't the only one with multiple stops within the same zone.

MJAMI7 t1_j6oq18c wrote

Definitely cheaper and easier than driving in from Swampscott. The cost is worth the less stress from driving. It will be interesting to see if the commuter rail makes and fare and scheduling changes when the Sumner Tunnel shuts down this summer.

Krakatoacoo t1_j6o55rb wrote

Your example is great. However, it doesn't factor in price for those who need to use the subway or bus once you get into the city. The monthly pass has those fares included.

MJAMI7 t1_j6oivgp wrote

Since they put the gates in at North Station, the conductor always checks the ticket on my train. And even if he doesn't, you still need to activate the ticket to get through.

brufleth t1_j6nx3sr wrote

Sick days. Weather events. Service outages. Vacation days. Etc etc. And to your point, it isn't even all that close with a reduced work schedule anyway. It would at least make more sense if it was like the NYC subway and you only paid X times in a given time period.