Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SandraDoubleB t1_jcpn5ar wrote

This is a bad title for the section.

The type of person who has an inflatable snowman is not the same as the typical person who puts up christmas lights and wreaths.

It also doesn't seem to define the end of last year's winter holidays which means some people are going to assuming very different dates for the start which is enough to mess up the week and month data slots.

joopface t1_jcpocrq wrote

> It also doesn’t seem to define the end of last year’s winter holidays

This probably isn’t a problem. This is a survey so people are reporting when they took the decorations down with reference to their own perception of when the holiday ended.

It’s just that the graph isn’t about the specific date that decorations are removed but how late people are comfortable leaving the decorations up with reference to when they view the end of the holiday occurred.

Killawife t1_jcpqdt9 wrote

I notice when I'm out walking the dog that some of my neighbours still have led nets and such up and lit all day and night.

1714alpha t1_jcpqq3k wrote

It took me a long time to learn to think of the actual day of the holiday as the last day of that particular season of festivities. Deep down, I always felt it was like the center, with a couple weeks before and after still covered in decorations.

BlackEyedAngel01 t1_jcpqwdh wrote

Other: I took the inflatable shit down within a week, but left the lights up for another month because it helps my partner feel happy during the dark month of Jan.

betweentourns t1_jcpv3ub wrote

This is just a bar chart. Regardless of the subject matter, it is not beautiful data.

haz3lnut t1_jcpvgbn wrote

January 6th. End of discussion.

Frankennietzsche t1_jcq1n1v wrote

"Winter holiday?!" Another salvo in the War on christmas! Derpyderp!

/s

daveashaw t1_jcq59a5 wrote

I like to have everything back to normal during the first week of January.

syncsynchalt t1_jcq7bm7 wrote

Laff, the inch of ice over the decorations and power cables didn’t melt for a month here. The last of the ice melted less than a week ago.

Here in Denver it’s traditional to take them down the weekend of the stock show, which is usually a week into the new year.

annswertwin t1_jcq817d wrote

When the snow melts and you can use a ladder to get them down.

Divallo t1_jcq9h3t wrote

Okay but can we agree that it's acceptable to leave halloween decorations up for more than a month?

I think that by december the halloween decorations should come down by any time from mid september to late november is in season and halloween decorations can in many cases doubie as thanksgiving ones.

PM_ME_UR_KITTY_PICZ t1_jcqay0m wrote

The first weekend day after New Year’s Day where it’s 60 degrees and sunny.

knitnetic t1_jcqglks wrote

/looks at Christmas tree/

Any day now…

iwicstsbitp t1_jcqgop9 wrote

Taylor Swift said January so I’ll go with January

Alantsu t1_jcqi3pb wrote

Depends where you live. Northeast is the day after Christmas because if not the snow buries it until April.

basketcase7 t1_jcqjxy2 wrote

Whenever the owner of said decorations feels like it.

Malvania t1_jcqrwhi wrote

Whenever the hell I feel like it. My goal is to keep the tree alive until Easter, really cap the two ends

Valhallapeenyo t1_jcqshrl wrote

The only right answer.

We take ours down by new years or so, but if it makes people happy to leave them up for as long as they want, who gives a shit.

There are a lot more things to be pissed off about in life then someone leaving their Christmas decorations up until April.

gentlemancaller2000 t1_jcqtp8g wrote

For me it’s highly dependent on the weather for the outside decorations, but no earlier than the weekend after New Year and no later than the third weekend in January. I won’t leave them up until February.

OB1_error t1_jcqu1m8 wrote

There’s a reason the day after Christmas is called Boxing Day.

Box that shit up!

(Lights can stay up as long as you’d like because they’re pretty.)

BuzzyShizzle t1_jcqug4n wrote

I still find it quite jarring when that shit is over the next day. I grew up in a world where the tree stayed until it had to go. Now everyone I'm around is done the second the last gift is opened.

[deleted] t1_jcqumrh wrote

In our family Christmas with one side out the other sometimes isn’t celebrated until January or - as this year - February. And sometimes Christmas decorations help relieve winter SAD feelings. The Christmas decs stay up as needed, and fooey to all the decoration Karens who disapprove.

_AlreadyTaken_ t1_jcqxsde wrote

My wife left the christmas tree up until june one year because it made her happy to see it every day. Lol

WarwickRI t1_jcqzgbt wrote

My family and the majority of my neighborhood leaves lights and decorations up until at least the halfway point of January, often into late January

AfraidtoDraw2021 t1_jcr05za wrote

Yeah, the way I determine when to take down decorations varies based on the decoration. Some are christmas specific and others are just seasonal for winter.

I do NOT have inflatable anything in my yard. White lights and natural wreaths outside, christmas tree and ornaments inside.

The tree and ornaments get taken down within a week. But the lights around the house can stay up through 'winter' and any natural pine wreaths can stay up as long as they look good. Typically taking them apart in mid February.

AfraidtoDraw2021 t1_jcr0elq wrote

Well, traditionally there are 12 days of Christmas so you can start on Christmas Day and call the Feast of Epiphany the end. My family always celebrated "little christmas" on Epiphany with a small gift. And that marked the official end of the christmas season. The tree would typically be down by then, but some of the seasonal decorations would still be up around the house.

AfraidtoDraw2021 t1_jcr0onz wrote

I think that's where the idea of "decorations" needs some clarification. Because you can have seasonal decorations up for an entire season, but holiday decorations start looking a bit out of place after the actual holiday.

So yeah, I leave natural things like decorative gourds or corn decorations out for all of fall, but the bats and black cats and carved jackolanterns typically come down right after Halloween.

julesk t1_jcr2581 wrote

My mom had a neighbor with inflatable Santa, Re indoor on roof, etc, up all year. A bit deflated and weather beaten when I saw it in July. It didn’t do a lot for me

thetomahawk42 t1_jcr2efp wrote

Christmas decorations specifically on 6th Jan, the last day of Christmas.

Dunno about other holidays.

LIRAAAAAAA t1_jcr2itc wrote

The small Christmas tree that sits on my printer is assembled since 2021 xD

gw2master t1_jcr5bzd wrote

What the fuck does "Whose inflatable snowman is still up" mean?

mkculs t1_jcr5l0g wrote

You’re supposed to take them down?

VBB67 t1_jcr75vp wrote

It always amazes me why people give a crap what other people do. That said, I always leave my tree up at least until January 6 (12th night), but then it comes down when all the needles completely fall off or when I feel able to add another task to my day, whichever comes first. I try to do it by January 15, the last day it will be collected for mulch by the local water department, but sometimes I miss that so chop it up and put it with yard waste for collection. I don’t decorate much other than the tree so no outdoor decor for the neighbors to judge me about 😏

Xtinguish t1_jcrbjmn wrote

There are multiple problems.

The title of the post is asking when people think they should take their decorations down. The actual question is when they took them down. Those are not always the same thing.

The question is also ambiguous. The holiday season does not have the same end date for everyone. For some people it's after Christmas. Others it's after new years. If your Catholic it's through Epiphany or the Sunday after Epiphany.

It's a poorly asked question with an incorrect title.

deagh t1_jcrcfjv wrote

Depends on what you count as "the end of the holidays" If it's Christmas, then it was more than a month. If it's New Year's, then it's a month (I usually take them down Jan 31) I just do lights, so no inflatable stuff.

FullofContradictions t1_jcreg4a wrote

Why isn't this higher?

I kind of get taking them down right away if you can fucking get to them but my yard still has a few feet of snow that I have no interest in tramping through to retrieve stuff that isn't hurting anyone. The lights are off now, but the decor remains until the weather stops acting like Christmas!

roxy031 t1_jcrf70a wrote

I had the same problem so I put up some fairy lights around my desk that stay up year-round. They’re LED and use very little electricity and they make me happy. I can change the color on them too!

TheDulin t1_jcrhqhn wrote

Up and running through the 12 days of Christmas, then lights are up but off until early February (we get like 0 to 3 snowfalls a year, so I leave them up in case we get one, then I can take snowy Christmas pictures).

oddmyth t1_jcrlcm1 wrote

The first day I'm not at work, it's dry outside and above freezing.

starling83 t1_jcrq5bl wrote

Lol, I literally can’t take down the Christmas lights wrapped around our trees outside cuz the cords are buried under three feet of snow. I’ve wanted to since January.

TheWarWookie t1_jcrqhav wrote

Its bold of you to presume they are ever coming down

chigangrel t1_jcrquro wrote

Same. Everything comes down but the lights because they make me happy. I've fell back into a depressive funk at the start of this year though and didn't end up taking them down until yesterday :(

I normally take them down by Groundhog's Day though.

chigangrel t1_jcrr6fb wrote

This is what I do! My old office had a white light curtain behind my desk, but I moved offices last summer and couldn't do that in my new one, so I got some command hooks, lined my office shelving with them, and now have lights for every month.

Feb lights: red and pink twinkles

March lights: little green shamrocks

April lights: pink and purple flowers

chigangrel t1_jcrs5ou wrote

I got them from Amazon. I don't like buying from them but I live in a place that doesn't really sell any fun stuff like that. I don't think I paid more than like $12 for any of them, but usually less than $10 (I only buy on sale).

These are some of them:

WATERGLIDE 1 Pack St. Patricks... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MRXNN7G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

LIGHTOP Battery Operated Flower... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9M2DQQM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Onemore Flower String Lights... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4RHJQP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

[ Timer ] 3 Pack Valentine's Day Fairy String Lights, Total 90LED 30Ft Copper Wire Lights Battery Operated Fairy Light for Bedroom Valentine's Day Decor Home Indoor Outdoor, Each 30LED 10Ft (Red Pink) https://a.co/d/gzdNCmz

chigangrel t1_jcrsu48 wrote

I tried to link to them but automod removed it because Amazon does short links apparently. Here's a pic from my Amazon (unfortunately it doesnt show all the lights, just the shamrocks and purple flowers), and what I originally wrote:

I got them from Amazon. I don't like buying from them but I live in a place that doesn't really sell any fun stuff like that. I don't think I paid more than like $12 for any of them, but usually less than $10 (I only buy on sale).

https://ibb.co/1Kwv40K

SnipesCC t1_jcrt65f wrote

I'd totally leave my Halloween decorations up until the grass needed to be mowed if I could. They are fun and I like them.

pspahn t1_jcru61n wrote

When the Stock Show is over.

pspahn t1_jcru7aq wrote

When the Stock Show is over.

thelastpizzaslice t1_jcs2vmi wrote

I'd love it if more people left their lights up through January. It's so dark in the winter.

Mcipark t1_jcs4gau wrote

4% margin of error means that potentially 7% of people still haven’t taken down their decorations

RonTRobot t1_jcs6n8q wrote

I'll only take it down on the first day temps are above 2 degrees Celcius in January or February.

annswertwin t1_jcs8jdm wrote

When we were in high school, one of my friends fell off a ladder putting Xmas lights up on his parents two story house. He didn’t break any bones thx to snow but he did staple himself in the forehead with the staple gun as he landed and it left a dent in his skull too. Could have been so much worse but he still was teased mercilessly by everyone (he was one of 13 kids ) for a while thx to the dent.

TechnetiumAE t1_jcsb1mi wrote

This year I got a big stand of mutucoloured lights and I put them around the top corner of my living room.

Definitely makes me feel happier and I enjoy the dimmer lights while watching stuff or playing games. I got a bunch of fairy lights that are AA powered so I got a bunch of rechargeables for them and I'm gonna put those up cause they use alot less power

Agromerado t1_jcsc9j9 wrote

Epiphany. That is the only correct answer.

Ruffleufagus t1_jcsgewu wrote

I feel fine with them until Jan 5th. That’s the official end of the holidays for me

znoopyz t1_jcsj59j wrote

Really just a survey of how many people don’t live somewhere with ice on their roof.

timsredditusername t1_jcslboh wrote

I still have lights lining the border of my front shutters.

It's not that they're hard to reach, I can comfortably stand on my porch and remove them.

I'm just that lazy this year.

Stralau t1_jcsz25v wrote

There is literally a rule, isn’t there? It’s supposed to be down by Jan 6th, unless you’re orthodox.

DaHotFuzz t1_jct2hwd wrote

If it's still snowing two months after Christmas you can bet I'm leaving the tree up lol

Myrtlized t1_jct6eb8 wrote

I left my lights up all year. My Christmas lights were behind the eaves, protected from the elements and invisible to passers-by. When turned on, the lights reflected off my light-colored house. It was like an inferential Christmas. If I was expecting company during the year I would turn the lights on to aid my visitors in finding my house.

himitsuuu t1_jcte60b wrote

Take it down at 00:01 the 26th of December you damn heathens

tubbis9001 t1_jctfn1p wrote

This isn't beautiful data....its just a screenshot from some random article...

jbarlak t1_jcth8l5 wrote

Here in Florida they stay up all year

integrating_life t1_jctix62 wrote

Days don't start to get longer until the end of January. (In the USA.) Tree lights make waking up in the dark winter mornings, and relaxing in the dark winter evenings, so much better. So nothing comes down until early to mid- February.

Phantomht t1_jctku7v wrote

E. When i goddamn good and well FEEL like taking them down.

Krieghund t1_jctrn8c wrote

"Did" and "should" are two different things. I took mine down right away, but I maintain that it is proper to keep them up till January 6.

naeogeo t1_jcu52ru wrote

Whenever the fuck you want.

Your house, your rules.