Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

derphurr t1_j167206 wrote

No it doesn't..

>And the Spanish acquired it from the word "kana:wa", used by the Arawakan indians of the Caribbean islands to describe their boats

Yes, there is a Spanish word and French word that ended up in English, but canoe isn't Spanish.

Same with potato. Taíno is an extinct Arawakan language that was spoken by the Taíno people of the Caribbean.

You are using stolen words from colonial Spain, and pretending they are Spanish that ended up in American English, but they were words for stuff they found in the Americas and their native words.

urmomaisjabbathehutt t1_j16rrcb wrote

There are spanish words of arabic, germanic and romance origin... and some of amerindian origin

And that hapens to english french and most modern languages

so is it wrong to say that english language loaned a spanish word which is the version of a word loaned by the spanish from latin, amerindian or german that also those amerindians or germans latins or arabs may had made it theirs being loaned from who knows all the way to ancient languages?

OfficialWireGrind OP t1_j16bc4m wrote

I am sorry that any of this is displeasing. I would fully agrees with anyone who claims that many, if not the majority, of the listed words were not invented by people who identify as Spanish speakers. Regarding the chart though, the word "origin" is not intended to mean the inventor of a particular word. The intention is to refer to the most direct source or the source of the most direct parent word. Also, the term "Spanish" is intended to refer to the Spanish Language and not Spain.

zuencho t1_j17t5iq wrote

It’s only displeasing because it’s just incorrect

meepers12 t1_j16i3wr wrote

Even then, a few of these words came more directly from different romance languages, like the French "croisade." This is moreso a list of English words whose presence in the English language was influenced by Spanish at some point.

derphurr t1_j16c85m wrote

But in both of my examples it wasn't any Spanish speaking country, but Spain that took a native word like for potato.

And if you are doing word origin, yes most Spanish words came from Spain.

But this is silly because almost all these same words were adopted by French before becoming English words.

So why the fuck are you arbitrarily stopping in the chain English French Spanish (some Caribbean language)

OfficialWireGrind OP t1_j16ebqn wrote

In this context, origin is not the same thing as originator. I looked up every one of these words, and, in every instance, the references cited usage in the Spanish Language. It could be that the French Language acquired many of them at about the same time and from the same or from another source.

−4

derphurr t1_j16jjn1 wrote

Adobe 1739, American English, from Spanish adobe "unburnt brick dried in the sun," which is said by 19c. Dutch Arabist Reinhart Dozy to be from oral form of Arabic al-tob "the brick," from Coptic tube "brick," a word found in hieroglyphics.

Other sources point to a Spanish adobar "daub, plaster," from the source of English daub (v.) late 14c., dauben, "to smear with soft, adhesive matter, to plaster or whitewash a wall"

canoe (n.) "light boat propelled by hand-held paddle or paddles," 1550s, originally in a West Indian context, from Spanish canoa, a word used by Columbus, from Arawakan (Haiti) canaoua.

French, from New Latin canoa, from Spanish, from Arawakan, of Cariban origin; akin to Carib kana:wa canoe. First Known Use: 1555. The Spanish spelling finally settled down on canoa about 1600.

https://thcc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=496051&module_id=97430

Definitely none are Spanish origin. Potato, etc