Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

icantbearsed t1_je0bp54 wrote

In the UK pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon?

rocket_gun OP t1_je0e630 wrote

It was actually a German recipe. They call it “Würstchen im Schlafrock” literally it means Little Sausage wearing a bathrobe :) Going to the UK this summer, if I find it, I will try their version!

icantbearsed t1_je0fqg2 wrote

Oh you’ll only find the UK version at Christmas sitting next to the turkey and stuffing I’m afraid!

GeodarkFTM t1_je0zzsl wrote

Nah you can buy them all year round now, or make your own. I often knock my own up and cook them in the air fryer after a night out.

jjgabor t1_je1erdj wrote

that sounds like an ideal desert for my walk home kebab and chips, thanks

NotAddison t1_je27fj4 wrote

Knock up apparently also means something different in the UK.

GeodarkFTM t1_je27l19 wrote

Depends on context, from the UK and it also means make haha

NotAddison t1_je2c5u1 wrote

I know, I was just knocking you up [joking with you]

Cannabis_Sir t1_je1k066 wrote

Nice, what temperature and rough timing for them?

Reet_up_north t1_je4jqod wrote

Greggs bakery in the UK have them in the north all year round

jdl_uk t1_je4aknn wrote

Is there bacon in there somewhere, or is this just sausage in pastry (what we call a sausage roll)?

rocket_gun OP t1_je4cwra wrote

I guess it’s a sausage roll, but according to Wikipedia it also fits the description of the US version of “pigs in blanket” not to confuse with the UK version that also has an “s” on the end, called: “pigs in blankets”. That was my TED talk on sausage rolls, thanks for listening!

jdl_uk t1_je4dedf wrote

Yeah there's different terms for things.

Didn't know sausage rolls were called "pigs in blanket" in some countries

MissyBee37 t1_je3nx53 wrote

This is interesting because I've heard people in the U.S. call this food (the hot dog/sausage in dough kind of recipe) "pigs in a blanket," but I also grew up with my parents calling meat wrapped in cabbage "pigs in a blanket." (Mom made both mini meat loaves and pork, all cooked in sauerkraut.) We made it every New Year's and I was under the impression that recipe came from my German side, but to be honest, we're pretty disconnected from all of that and I may have it wrong. Now I'm going to have to research that dish...

showherthewayshowher t1_je5rhbz wrote

The UK version is mostly a Christmas thing though you may find it at other times it is less easy. Of course the epitome of the dish is available in some chippies where you'll find hog in a duvet (something ranging from a foot longsausage in a load of bacon, sometimes battered, through to a full blown comedy 6ft long version)

chairfairy t1_je1jor0 wrote

Interesting. The US version is 1) fried, and 2) dipped in a cornbread batter instead of wrapped in a yeasted dough. Haven't seen these other versions before

edit: brain fart on what things are called

−9

geekusprimus t1_je1qfw4 wrote

That sounds more like what I would call a "corndog". I always grew up with a pig in a blanket being a sausage wrapped in puff pastry or a soft roll.

bsievers t1_je1qz4m wrote

> The US version is 1) fried, and 2) dipped in a cornbread batter instead of wrapped in a yeasted dough.

...what US are you from? It's always been crescent rolls or, much more rarely, biscuit dough.

HideousTits t1_je25x9r wrote

Is a crescent roll a croissant?

Redfo t1_je26zd6 wrote

Pretty similar but the usual American crescent roll is less fluffy and airy than a proper French croissant.

Ambitious_Ad2354 t1_je1r8sx wrote

Sounds like a corn dog lol pigs in blanket for me are hotdogs wrapped in a crescent roll

geekpeeps t1_je1qx7x wrote

I’m from Australia and thought the same thing. This is more ‘pig in duvét’ :)