Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Notesh OP t1_iu8dtcr wrote

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dygwmv/peanut-butter-mousse-crunch-cake-recipe

Sorry for delayed posting of recipe, had to hurriedly cook something else for the family. I'd make this again first chance, freaking awesome dessert

kaptaincorn t1_iu945ku wrote

I didn't know vice had food and recipes.

Is there a physical magazine/ print edition?

Are there any weird, sarcastic, neo hipster- early articles/ recipes?

Should I be frequent the site more than Bon Appetite since it's gotten boring there?

Ever since conde nast got rid of gourmet magazine, i've felt there aren't any worthwhile food magazines.

FRNLD t1_iu9diaz wrote

That particular recipe is in, or at least all the parts to make it, Dominique Ansel's book "Everyone Can Bake."

Great book with components to make all sorts of tasty desserts.

korben2600 t1_iu9ex23 wrote

It's kinda ridiculous that the Kindle version is just 50 cents less than the hardcover. Maybe I haven't bought any books on Amazon lately but that is an outrage. Time to find the pirated pdf, I guess.

CanadiianBaconEH t1_iu93krg wrote

Wow, not as much sugar as I expected. And dark chocolate not milk chocolate. Cool

FRNLD t1_iu9drh8 wrote

Dominique Ansel's style is more French than American. Less sweet but everything I've made out of his book as been delicious. I even prefer making his French buttercream vs what most Americans associate with buttercream.

Notesh OP t1_iuaahfh wrote

Exactly. Almost on the level of the Japanese desserts; sweetness is tertiary

queefiest t1_iu9sypu wrote

Thank you, this is the perfect specific comfort food I need right now

FrenchFriesOrToast t1_iu9vag3 wrote

Thanks a lot for posting that! Even without having read the recipe I know it‘s gonna be a bang.

perlgeek t1_iuaohyr wrote

This looks awesome.

However, watching the video, I cringed at how much of the ingredients were wasted / not used. About 1/rd of the pb mousse was left over, maybe 1/4th of the puffed rice, 1/2 of the ganache?

I guess that's not really a problem if you make large quantities or make the recipe every other day, because then you can reuse the left-overs. But for something done occasionally, it seems like quite the overhead.