Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DarkKitarist t1_j8ckepx wrote

Oh nooooo... So basically infinite increase in demand and infinite increase in revenue increase is impossible... Won't someone think of the massive multi-billion dollar companies!

Xtasy0178 t1_j8crh3k wrote

For real… I am always amazed that this idea of infinite growth is possible and everyone being upset when a company has to admit… it isn’t.

alc4pwned t1_j8de1ul wrote

Sure. But idk why people think headlines like these are evidence of that. A product selling less than the year before happens all the time. In fact, it's expected to happen periodically during recessions (not that we're in one now).

[deleted] t1_j8dkyv7 wrote

[deleted]

alc4pwned t1_j8dlg8s wrote

The accepted defition of a recession is pretty clear. We have not seen two consecutive quarters of GDP decline, so it's not a recession.

And while the layoffs are concerning, the economy added 500k net jobs in January. We may well be in a recession soon, but we're really not right now.

Imkindaalrightiguess t1_j8dper9 wrote

Because it's just price gouging bullshit. We've experienced gdp growth while getting robbed.

The avian flu was used as a cover to double the price of eggs.

plummbob t1_j8fqs0l wrote

Price gouging would indicate the economy is not in recession

[deleted] t1_j8g368f wrote

[deleted]

plummbob t1_j8g3e0e wrote

A fall in demand would mean that firms would loose money by raising prices

[deleted] t1_j8g60az wrote

[deleted]

plummbob t1_j8g69hi wrote

Same demand + reduced short term supply = higher prices

If there was a looming recession, we would expect a fall in demand

alc4pwned t1_j8dsued wrote

I think you’ve got a really really long way to go from the egg situation to making the case that GDP growth as a whole is solely the result of price gouging lol

−5

Imkindaalrightiguess t1_j8e3gi2 wrote

Death by a thousand cuts, not slippery slope.

I'm saying every industry is finding new ways to squeeze their user base.

Attempting infinite growth is a function of capitalism. If you have no market to grow into you wring out what you can from existing customers.

Have you not noticed the rise in cost of necessities, fast food, and housing against stagnant wages?

alc4pwned t1_j8e4mwn wrote

Sure. But pointing out that price gouging exists does not make the case that current GDP growth is the result of price gouging. That’s what I’m saying.

−1

Informal-Soil9475 t1_j8dpofy wrote

Recessions are really declared after they happen. And even so, the official statistics that determine a recession dont really help quantify the state of the economy.

Price gouging for example is not even a factor.

Puzzled_Plate_3464 t1_j8dq760 wrote

> because the execs are panicked about the outlook of the next few years.

yea old self fulfilling prophecy.

so your execs are world class economists in addition to being lawyers?

or they are a bunch of scared old guys who want to protect their share of the firm, so they can keep on buying their houses and cars and watches?

Ask them why they are laying off and freezing hiring before the event occurs? Isn't that sort of assuring they'll lose business, have less revenue, make less money right now (ummm, tell me again, how do we get into a recession - oh yeah, by shrinking). They can always lay off when it actually happens (cause they don't care about people - just $$$$)

I put zero confidence into the ability of your execs to be economists (I give only a little more to actual economists). However, it is that blind groupthink that will become a self fulfilling prophecy and get us there.

GSPilot t1_j8dnbpt wrote

It’s almost as if people worrying about and preparing as if a recession is imminent, are causing the prophecy to become reality.

docbauies t1_j8e4ejy wrote

Is it expecting infinite growth? Or is it thinking that the total addressable market may grow (due to opening new markets for a product, or finding new customers within a market due to interest growth) or that a given company is looking to increase their market share. Companies can grow and expect growth without thinking it is infinite.

wastedkarma t1_j8d5jtk wrote

The SSD basically made upgrading obsolete for me. I used to be a gamer but I’m not anymore. Quick boot plus SSDs mean I’m up and running in under 10 seconds now. On a computer that’s 9 years old.

DarkKitarist t1_j8d61jr wrote

I'm still into gaming, but it's become less and less viable to upgrade on a 2 year basis, since the prices keep rising and rising, especially in the GPU market. And if anything I wanted to regularly update my GPU since I also use it for 3D modeling and working in Unreal Engine. I wanted to upgrade to a 4090 this year, but there is no way in hell I'm paying over 2k€ for it. Also most higher end stuff is more expensive in EU so it's a bummer to be an PC enthusiasts these days...

RickySpanish1272 t1_j8dlbri wrote

I’ve found the last generation GPUs fairly reasonably priced recently if you don’t have to have the latest and greatest.

richardawkings t1_j8dm9fe wrote

I upgraded from a 960 to 3080. My graphics card this time around was the price of my entire computer before. I use my rig for gaming and work but if things keep going the way they are going, my next rig would be a console and ill just keeo my computer for work. I could have probably bought a PS5, Switch, Xbox, TV and surround sound system for the price I paid for my current setup. I'm convinced that PC part manufacturers hate PC gamers.

[deleted] t1_j8d8p2o wrote

[deleted]

−2

Lord_Shisui t1_j8dcig6 wrote

Meh I'm not so sure about mechanical keyboards. Most of them are so obnoxiously loud I can't stand them.

DarkKitarist t1_j8ddby0 wrote

I switched to a mechanical Razer keyboard with their orange switches and it's quiet enough to type and has that mecha feeling which made my typing much faster and accurate.

MRaholan t1_j8ddlq9 wrote

A cheap desktop PC isn't going to rub you that much. And honestly for the firepower you get it's typically worth it since you can upgrade as you go for years

Roro_Yurboat t1_j8dv470 wrote

Every time I've planned "upgrade as you go", there has been a pin change or chipset update or something that makes upgrading not worth the effort or expense.

GenderBender3000 t1_j8dandi wrote

I still game. But my steam deck has been great. Plus my Nintendo switch. Between the two I don’t do much actual desktop gaming anymore. And when I do, it’s for some of my older titles that my system can weather. There’s too many new games and not enough time in my late 30s now. So my library just keep building. I’m not sure if I will continue upgrading anymore. Or just sort of freeze my computer and stop updating. Will essentially last forever (until the parts themselves burn out) without getting slow or laggy or not being able to keep up. But with cards nowadays costing as much as my whole gaming pc did when I built it, it’s not very enticing. Plus no more EVGA for GCs means I’m stumped there.

DarkKitarist t1_j8de7uh wrote

EVGA leaving the GC space kinda broke my heart too... I have all GPUs from the 480 up until 1080ti from them, they were just soo good (damn nVidia for basically chasing them away with their practices...)

StyleChuds42069 t1_j8dbq5r wrote

if you aren't ever going to game on it you can pick up a very nice refurbished ex-office desktop tower with an SSD for $150 that will do everything you need for years

CAFunked t1_j8dwkfc wrote

I'm sure they'll find a way to raise the prices to make up for it, they always do.