Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Belarionthedread t1_ixk35rs wrote

Yep. Today I was told my AirPods were left behind… I was wearing them at the time😔

Swiney52 t1_ixmo0zl wrote

I’ve had this happen before. It made for a good laugh

snsv9 t1_ixn1xc5 wrote

Ahh it’s me, Find My told me that my AirPods moving around, and it’s on my pocket all the time. 🥲

Bacender t1_ixkiljv wrote

I get these all the time with my AirPods Pro 1st and 2nd gen. Happens when i'm driving, i'll get a time sensitive alert that i left them on the highway 20 minutes back at the petrol station i stopped at. It's actually a shame because more and more i'm completely ignoring these alerts because i get them so often for my AirPods, and every so often I see them for my MacBook and AirTags as well.

If i'm at a point where these alerts are getting subconsciously ignored, then what's the point of even using the feature? May as well switch it off completely.

-K9V t1_ixllgnk wrote

Yeah, it’s way too sensitive. Would be nice if we could select a “perimeter” or radius ourselves, so it only sent a notification if you got like 500 meters away from them or something.

Bacender t1_ixm3paw wrote

I don't think it's a permiter thing. I've received warnings about my AirPods not being near me while i'm actively listening to them. It's just buggy.

-K9V t1_ixm3tkb wrote

Oh yeah but what I’m saying is that we should be able to set a perimeter, like if you go X distance away it’ll ping you. I only get the notification if I actually leave my AirPods, I’ve never gotten it while using them or having them in my pocket. Not even while driving.

DigitalJEM t1_ixkqxd8 wrote

This feature was spot on perfect when they first released it a couple years ago. Now, it’s useless and crappy. I get these same messages about my iPad and AirPods when they’re definitely within reach.

https://preview.redd.it/go6d7mpw9v1a1.jpeg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=6b13aa918521dd8e9c7d36b3357aff34538b87a7

mck2018 t1_ixlfvji wrote

What kind of AirPod case is that?

GKQybah t1_ixljmu8 wrote

a faraday cage

Gmun23 t1_ixlsrx8 wrote

looks like it could block signal alrgiht.

DigitalJEM t1_ixn13bh wrote

This issue started way before I even had this case, when I was going caseless. So it isn’t the case causing it.

IMAC55 t1_ixmawhd wrote

It honestly wasn’t bad. I didn’t see a difference at all in signal. It’s plastic not metal. Never seen a plastic faraday cage.

IMAC55 t1_ixmapfx wrote

I had that same case but in red. It’s so awesome. For some reason when you drop the AirPods, it automatically objects them like a rubber band gun and with that type of case it holds it shut so when you drop it they stay in the case. Much better!

kainsta929 t1_ixnw075 wrote

This happened to me at the gym, fell out of my pocket, and one airpod shot under the treadmill the other in the completely opposite direction, and went under the vending machine. That was fun to get back.

IMAC55 t1_ixrkqyi wrote

The only good news is the new 2nd generation air pods let you navigate to them like an air tag AND has a special speaker on the outside made to make a loud noise to find them without maxing out the air pod volume like they used to!

Shortafinger t1_ixl4wwl wrote

Hey. It's better than buying a car from a dealership that came with one set of keys, then getting a notification of an unknown airtag traveling with you on the way home, then said car being stolen 4 days after you bought it by the person who had the other set of keys that likely worked at the auction house the dealership bought it from days before you bought it.

IMAC55 t1_ixmb724 wrote

Nice rule of thumb. If you get a message than an AirTag is following you. Do something about it. You can make it chime and find the AirTag. They have had this safety feature since it came out so that predators could not use AirTags to hurt people.

AkogwuOnuogwu t1_ixlw48b wrote

This is a callous question and sorry for asking but maybe i am just super paranoid but why wouldn’t you just stop somewhere look for the air tag dump it or park somewhere not your home find it and dump it somewhere else preferably a dustbin

thefnboogeyman t1_ixk0z77 wrote

Is there a chance the location for your iPhone is set to a different device? For example if you had an old iPhone and maybe didn’t change the location settings?

I did that awhile back so it would read my old device’s location at my house instead of my new one that was with me and give me a notification.

nfunncecnecub OP t1_ixk6kf2 wrote

Just checked, my Find My location is set to this phone

turncoatmormon t1_ixkcpjm wrote

Settings > Privacy > Location Services

I don’t know if this would be it. But when you go to your Location Services settings, scroll down and tap on the Find My app, what are the settings? If “Precise Location” is off, I wonder if there’s a lag in your phone’s location updating that causes your watch to think it’s separated.

LiquidDiviums t1_ixkwql3 wrote

Adding to this comment:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Find My (ON).

The way System Services work is still a bit of a puzzle and can make things to stop working or work less reliably even if the toggle is enabled within another setting (i.e. Optimized Battery Charging).

Also, inside System Service make sure to have “Significant Locations” enabled. I don’t know why but having it enabled has made some stuff like alerts, notifications and location more reliable.

pina_koala t1_ixl3s16 wrote

I keep LS off most of the time, this hasn't happened to me. It's more likely an NFC link e.g. this phone is unlocking My nearby watch

BananaBaconFries t1_ixktz99 wrote

I guess tshoot steps I would do is

1. Make sure Find My Feature is ON and location is allowed for the app with precise location enabled
  2. Double check my privacy location settings; find my iphone should be enabled
  3. Make sure bluetooth is ON(BLUE) or at least semi-on(Grey). Do not completely disable it in settings
  4. Worse case, I would forget and re-pair my devices

nfunncecnecub OP t1_ixl3x3k wrote

Okay I see the issue. I use hearing aids bc my hearing sucks balls even tho I’m not old and recently it stopped working if bluetooth is on for my ipad and iphone. this led to me usually leaving bluetooth off, so my watch isn’t connected to my phone. therefore my watch can’t detect my phone so that’s why i’m getting this. thanks!

Unhappy_Offer_4572 t1_ixkzutm wrote

I would almost wager that some of these people have seen a video or tictok about how to change their privacy setting (or stop being tracked) and changed/updated them without realising that it will affect services like this?… maybe…

DigitalJEM t1_ixl342x wrote

Nope. I haven’t changed any settings on my phone that would affect this. It went from reliable to annoyingly stupid for no known reason.

Lucidification t1_ixklyzc wrote

You can turn this type of notification off in the watch app. I recently turned off all of my Watch notifications because they just drive me crazy. I don’t need to know every time I get an email.

Flyingscificars t1_ixkfk5g wrote

Double check settings in the find my app, under devices devices. Maybe try toggling notify when left behind off and on, or just keeping it off.

AgainstGreaterOdds t1_ixl48nv wrote

Do you have Bluetooth on on both devices?

Edit: just saw you confirm this was exactly the case.

cqffeebreaks t1_ixl4pr8 wrote

Same thing happened to me but kinda different, just got on the plane and it was just taking off. I whip out my phone and see a notification telling me “Your AirPods we’re last seen at Portland international airport” I start freaking out and looking in my bag and I found them 🤦🏾‍♂️ apple bug?

The_MetalDog t1_ixkwvm6 wrote

I turned that off. I just drove cross country and it kept telling me I left my MacBook and Airpods on the highway. First time I saw it I kinda panicked for a second, but after the TENTH TIME? Nope.

This-Influence-5317 t1_ixl5jlq wrote

To add to all the above comments If the Device turns off due to low battery The system assumes as lost

yesiamintrouble t1_ixl793s wrote

So this uses the ultra band chip which is available in the newer generation devices, ie upwards of iPhone 13 series, AirPods Pro 2, M1 Macs.

Since you mentioned it is a older gen that is why you keep getting the notifications. Due to the improvements in ultra band you get precise location information, like tracking it to the device itself, like how you find a device that it tagged to your AirTags.

Euphoric_Respond1669 t1_ixm8j4h wrote

I used to get this message about my pods all the time…while they were in my pocket

Unlucky_Reveal_3064 t1_ixmz7b2 wrote

Maybe stop forgetting to bring your phone with you, Ryan …

DevATee t1_ixkoeyk wrote

Maybe you have a vpn installed on the phone which makes the phone be in another location ?

Habit8902 t1_ixl8zzp wrote

iOS 16 still has a few bugs to iron out. Give it a bit

Bigfornoreas0n t1_ixlnzyu wrote

I got these multiple times a day with my AirPod 3s. It was so bad I had to disable the notifications. Would love a solution.

jjbugman2468 t1_ixlqglq wrote

Meanwhile I can never get mine to tell me I’ve left my phone elsewhere. Do you need LTE on the watch to make it work?

GENTOOO t1_ixlsifv wrote

Do you have an ipad?

AmthorTheDestroyer t1_ixlzsks wrote

I get these notifications for my mac book which sits in my office room all day and isn't moving at all (quite literally). It works for a few days, then when I'm chilling at a friends place, I receive a notification that I left my MBP behind. I'm like yo what, no, I know it's chillin in da office room still.

gsridgway2 t1_ixm3j9i wrote

My watch kept getting kicked off of my iPhone’s Bluetooth, then I would get this message. It happened several times a day. Then, it just stopped doing that when I updated to iOS 16. Have you updated your devices lately?

Bulliwyf t1_ixma4wl wrote

Mine is rock solid although I sometimes wish it would notify me sooner - it’s great it tells me I left something behind, but it doesn’t do me any good when it’s 5km away when it tells me.

IMAC55 t1_ixmajm4 wrote

Sometimes it doesn’t keep up perfectly. Maybe you walked further away from your phone than you thought. You can turn the notifications off but do you really want to? What about the day you really do leave the phone on your nightstand or at work. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’d rather it work too well than not well at all. Ever since I was 16 they have ramped up the focus and while I do appreciate not getting a notification every 12 seconds, I don’t appreciate not getting important notifications until noon or 5 PM or whenever my focus is set up for. So I had to go into the notification screen and set it up custom. The ones like email and important messages need to come through immediately and the news stories and unimportant things can be held back till later. So I would advise you to set it up to your convenience.

Atosl t1_ixmk0q9 wrote

Apple support said it was a connectivity problem when it happened with my Airpods. Got them replaced.

sfernandes30 t1_ixmyqh1 wrote

I get that on my phone for AirPods but there mine

n8best t1_ixmzwxa wrote

It broken

hermitcraftfan135 t1_ixn827j wrote

I will randomly get messages that my MacBook got left behind when it’s literally in my backpack and have a mild panic attack. Find My just isn’t very good sometimes

Prestigious_State951 t1_ixn8tqd wrote

I have had my tile item right in front of me and tapped sound and it’s told me they are not in range. Frustrating when they are actually misplaced. As for the AirPod finder, I just wish it could help me when they are on my 2nd floor and I am on my 1st. I am so scattered and I am always trying to be better!

Legoman718 t1_ixnbel5 wrote

there’s an option somewhere (in the Find My app I think) to not show these notifications when you live specific addresses, like your home

LyftedX t1_ixnftou wrote

I get this with my AirPods like 3x a day. When I have them in my ears. It’s aggravating

AmphibianOk9979 t1_ixnjak3 wrote

I get a similar one it says my airpods were left behind but they’re with me. It’s a notification you can turn off if you want but not really sure why it says it when we still have the phone or pods with.

kainsta929 t1_ixnwp5l wrote

Mine seems to happen if I open the case of the AirPods then say leave work, it'll say the AirPods are where I last opened them, even when they are in the car with me.

Satvrn_X t1_ixk0v66 wrote

Assume you’ve already unpaired your iPhone right

−6