Submitted by Dreamer_4200 t3_10rgxeu in massachusetts

I practice daily, I can parallel park, hand signals have become a second nature to me.

I mean, I can't prove it to you, and I know there are some real shitty drivers in this state, but I swear, I’m a decent driver. Not perfect. But decent.

So, I walk into my driving test, finally ready to be done with the mess that is drivers ed. I won't argue whether the right to drive is a 'privilege’, but I’ve sunk 700$+ into the mandatory classes.

I failed.

It was for waiting at a blinking yellow light. (For context, it was one that did eventually turn green.)

I was told by an instructor in a lesson at the same school I took this test at, to wait (even if it was clear), to wait until it turned green to make the turn.

And I believed it. To be extra cautious I thought. Same reason on the test I wasn't going to turn right on red. Or not abruptly stop at yellow lights.

I looked it up, just to be sure. “Are you legally required to turn on a blinking yellow light?” Couldn't find anything.

My parents didn't know.

I had even had the same thing reaffirmed in my refresher lesson the week before, when I waited at that light multiple times and my instructor then never mentioned it.

He said nothing when I sat there, blinking light, not a car in sight, while I waited for a green.

And he said lots of stuff, about my steering, my pressure on the break, my lack of signaling in empty parking lots.

I tell the driving school head this, that I was misinformed by them and he just starts yelling at me. “An instructor would never say that!”

One did though.

I don't know what I’m gonna get out of this post. Maybe in three weeks I’ll pass, and never think about this stuff again. I'm pissed though.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Adorable_List3836 t1_j6wgnqf wrote

It sounds like you’re not ready for a license if you don’t know basic traffic signals

Menacing_Anus42 t1_j6x8vlp wrote

Yeah dude if you don't know to turn on a blinking yellow you were correctly failed.

​

I would lose my mind if someone was just sitting there while it was clear. Blinking yellow means yield, proceed with caution. That's it.

Past-Adhesiveness150 t1_j6xirod wrote

This right here. That guy who did the test just save you a whole bunch of stress. Normal mass hole driver would freak the f*** out if you just sat there at a yield. You probably wouldn't be surprised but people get road raging over really small things. Everybody's in a hurry.

pillbinge t1_j6vo898 wrote

That sucks, and I can certainly believe that you could be told that.

For the record, a blinking yellow light means to proceed cautiously. You shouldn't be speeding, but a car that isn't speeding should at least take their foot off the gas and just be aware. I don't see too many of those myself, which means you probably got a little unlucky.

Not sure how to approach it. I'd find the instructor again and ask them. If you can get it in writing, even better. My test decades back was a tough one, but I passed. Watched a kid fail within 1 minute. Didn't even make it around the block because he choked when taking a right. They made me parallel park and do a three-point turn out of it on a really narrow street in Cambridge. Passed it my first time. But I still realize that others would have probably been fucked.

AnyRound5042 t1_j6x60ez wrote

My home town had an intersection that 24/7 the main road had a blinking yellow and the side road (a + not a T) had a blinking red.

Menacing_Anus42 t1_j6x91f9 wrote

Because the red is a stop sign, and the blinking yellow is to say "slow down and proceed with caution because there are people pulling out from the stop side of the street"

AnyRound5042 t1_j6xodmj wrote

Yeah I know I'm just saying if OP never went through until it changed they'd still be sitting there today, like Charlie on the mbta

VibrantSunsets t1_j6yvupa wrote

Since he knows it turns green my guess is it was a blinking left arrow. Are there any blinking yellows that aren’t arrows that turn green?

Sprucey26 t1_j74yd6l wrote

No such thing as a blinking yellow that turns green. Blinking yellow just usually means a crossroad where there is a stop sign on the roads perpendicular to the main road. A blinking yellow light will always be a blinking yellow light.

Waggmans t1_j6zlekd wrote

I can't tell you how many people don't know the difference between a red turn signal, blinking yellow light and blinking red light.

You CANNOT make a turn on a red turn signal under ANY circumstances. People behind me just honk like crazy.

Menacing_Anus42 t1_j71v1qo wrote

Right, red turn signal is a flat out red light, equal to "no turn on red", solid red light. People should have to review some of this stuff every 20 years when they renew a license lol

Past-Adhesiveness150 t1_j6xicye wrote

So it's a point system. They normally don't fail you for just one thing. Driving classes are not mandatory by the way. Some people absolutely need them though.

How many times you've taken the driving test because a lot of people don't pass it the 1st time.

kissmekate48 t1_j6wpqk3 wrote

It sounds like you had a tough examiner, but aside from the yellow (you can definitely cause an accident coming to a full stop on yellow around here), he also had comments about steering, brake pressure, and signaling. Did those make sense to you? If so, you learned a lot and will probably pass next time.

For most people, this is close to the “best” they’ll ever drive, as far as adhering to the law, which is different than the confidence gained through driving over time. So he’s being a stickler and maybe even noticing stuff that could turn into future bad habits. And yes, there are tons of licensed terrible, distracted drivers.

Deep breath, and good luck.

Icy-Neck-2422 t1_j6zgh1r wrote

More bad news. The dollar sign goes first.

XoeDanger t1_j6xjmip wrote

Sounds like the driving school failed you, and you should ask for a refund.

If they are able to prove that they did in fact teach you correctly, then it sounds like you were correctly failed and just need to keep studying and practicing.

Nicksucksathiking t1_j6znwjc wrote

Well ever think it had anything to do with your”steering, break pressure and lack of signaling in parking lots”? Thats alot of shit to fuck up in one test. I know you probably dont wanna hear this bit It seems like you failed for a reason.

March_Latter t1_j71klps wrote

My wife went through this a few years back and its unbelievable. The test used to be administered by professionals but now we have a bunch of idiots on a power trip saying amusing things like: "I have failed every applicant today" "Don't use your mirrors, that's not allowed" "Turn around and look out the back window. Can't see over the seat? Sorry you fail."

Ten years ago we had probably the best registry in the country. No wait times, and a minimum of stupidity. It shows that we are always one political appointee away from ruining what took years to create.

LowkeyPony t1_j6z6p0a wrote

I have a friend whose son failed 6 times. No idea if he ever got his license. A neighbor of my mother has a kid that just got his license, and still takes the bus everywhere, even though he has access to a car. My own kid actually has a really nice car, but just doesn't like driving. They live on campus and use the university shuttles to get everywhere. And will be using the bus system this summer during their internship. They took the classes during the pandemic, which I am sure actually soured the kid. Plus people are just generally a holes here in MA.

newestJourney t1_j6xrgl4 wrote

Venting is fine, but just think about it like you are one step closer. So you fail one time or three times. Take it as motivation to learn more and be determined for the next time.

Ultimately, that is THE key in life if you want to get ahead, btw. Focus on that kind of a mindset that you CAN learn and do anything IF you have the determination and you will go far.

Good luck to you on your next exam, and I'm sure when you're out there on our roads this will be a distant memory!

Sprucey26 t1_j74y4lb wrote

There is no such thing as a yellow blinking light that turns green. That’s fake news.

dombosco1992 t1_j7706qi wrote

You're wrong though.

Sprucey26 t1_j771d22 wrote

Am i? Where have you ever seen one? And what does it mean.

dombosco1992 t1_j771zl4 wrote

It mean yield to traffic and go when its clear. After a while they stop on coming traffic and turn green. Sometimes traffic is so heavy youd never be able to turn with just a blinking yellow. I've seen them in multiple towns and cities all over western mass

proudfiddleleafmom t1_j7d8jip wrote

They failed me for not knowing hand signals. The instructor would not let me start driving due to not knowing them.