Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DeffNotTom t1_jdcnqj4 wrote

Damn. Not even a good fake. What's with those holes?

Potat-O-Vision t1_jdcssrp wrote

It looks like one of the fake plates used in movies or tv shows.

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jde11yb wrote

Not only is the format wrong but Massachusetts hasn’t issued I or Q on standard issue plates since they had the green plates.

malapriapism4hours t1_jdejd4d wrote

Curious…what are the other tells?

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jden6ld wrote

The font is wrong and it’s not embossed. Massachusetts also hasn’t ever used that format of letters and numbers. The last number is also supposed to match the registration month, which it doesn’t.

malapriapism4hours t1_jderbpt wrote

Thanks! I was aware of the reg month issue, but didn’t know if it applied in all cases.

idkhow2userddt t1_jdfruto wrote

The only time that doesn't apply is vanity, trailer, commercial and motorcycles. Vanity and trailers always expire in November and commercial and motorcycles in December.

GaleTheThird t1_jdfd21i wrote

> The last number is also supposed to match the registration month, which it doesn’t.

Interesting, I registered my car in Feb but the last digit on the plate is 1. I guess it must've been a leftover or something

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jdfeqg2 wrote

What format is the plate? Is it a special plate?

GaleTheThird t1_jdff1lu wrote

Nope, just the one they mailed me. Bought and registered the car in Feb of 2021. Overall format is #AAA ##

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jdffd4w wrote

Interesting and it doesn’t say Jan on the upper left? It should if the digit all the way on the right is a 1.

GaleTheThird t1_jdffjcq wrote

>it doesn’t say Jan on the upper left?

Now that you mention it, it does. I've never noticed it, even when looking at the thing to check the format. Definitely just a leftover plate or something then

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jdffxhh wrote

Yeah, that’s how all Massachusetts regular plates are issued. Vanity plates are November and commercial plates are December.

NowakFoxie t1_jdgouu0 wrote

I believe it's the prior month that gets assigned, rather than the month you register your car in

mini4x t1_jdkqkbb wrote

How's that work for November and December?

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jdkso5o wrote

November is vanity and commercial is December. Passenger cars don’t expire those months.

notgoodwithmoney t1_jdjsfo5 wrote

Whoa, why though?

NCSUGrad2012 t1_jdjtdk0 wrote

When they issued green plates it was all the numbers on the left and all the letters on the right separated by a dot in the middle. After using all those combinations they switched to multiple other formats. Q could be mistaken for a 0 and I can be mistaken for a 1, so they aren’t used on formats when the letters and numbers aren’t as easily divided. O is also not used for this reason.

notgoodwithmoney t1_jdjtxv2 wrote

Oh that makes sense. I wonder if they allow custom plates like "lIIIllI" I'm guessing no

NowakFoxie t1_jdgoqn3 wrote

I've seen older Spirit of America plates with I and O, but no Q or U on either green or SoA

The_rising_sea t1_jdcsuz7 wrote

Shenanigans! They’re filming. It’s a prop plate.

Lobstaman t1_jdcrfo9 wrote

That’s a plate is a prop used in television/films where you want the car to clearly look like it’s from Mass.

Maybe it was used in CODA?

Outrageous_Map3458 t1_jdcrkty wrote

They are probably from out of state and don’t want to end up like Ben.

[deleted] t1_jdcnoj6 wrote

[deleted]

NoMoLerking t1_jdcoa3c wrote

I don’t want to sound cynical, but….

It’s an obvious fake, and so it’s definitely been seen and ignored by multiple cops.

joelav t1_jdcz131 wrote

At least have it expire in July

fendermrc t1_jdd49zw wrote

Or add any colored square to create the impression of a reg sticker.

onewithoutasoul t1_jddsjec wrote

Sovereign citizen, maybe?

eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkie t1_jdelsix wrote

They’re not driving they’re traveling.

Justlike2havefun t1_jdf52wd wrote

It’s not a commercial vehicle, they don’t need a license (plate).

FourAM t1_jdg8g7m wrote

Personal conveyances are not encumbered by the sanctions of maritime commerce! I know my rights!

/s for those who need it

FriendlySocietyWhale t1_jddthlx wrote

There's a guy on YouTube who goes around I think NYC busting people that intentionally obscure/remove/fake their plate. Sometimes it's as easy as sticking a leaf over one number and the license plate scanners are "fooled".

Lumpymaximus t1_jdeksmg wrote

Wow thats almost.as.annoying as the shopping cart return guy

−5

majoroutage t1_jdf0evi wrote

At least the cart guy isn't committing vandalism on behalf of revenuers.

village_Smythe t1_jder5u2 wrote

few years back when I registered a new car I put the plates on backwards so rear plate didnt have a sticker, got pulled over within 24 hours on 290 and had it pointed out to me by the trooper. This dude aint gonna get away with it for long especially w plate readers in all cruisers now state and local....

Aromatic_Gap t1_jdd1puk wrote

Did you give this info to the cops?

a_white_american_guy t1_jdff9sw wrote

Not sure what you mean. That’s a perfectly legitimate issued license plate.

−1

[deleted] t1_jdcnuc4 wrote

[deleted]

−4

ButterAndPaint t1_jdd0d1u wrote

The sharpness of its reflection in your filthy hood is impressive.

−14