Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dan420 t1_jdv2yy8 wrote

There was a Big Y on rt 1 Saugus that has the same thing going on. It’s looked like an Amazon fresh for month, if not a year, but shows no signs of opening.

NooStringsAttached t1_jdvf47o wrote

I’m local to there, not in Saugus but close by anyway.

Awhile back, maybe last summer or early fall in the Facebook page there were lots of inquiries as to what is going on etc, and some people from Saugus said it had to do with how many jobs they told the city/town they were going to offer and it ended up being a fraction of that. It could be wrong and way off but it was going around 6-9 months ago.

NativeMasshole t1_jdvhbwm wrote

Seems to be a pattern with them.

NooStringsAttached t1_jdvnxr2 wrote

Yes and honestly until I read this post I had no idea they were all over MA doing the same thing. I’d not seen another before.

NativeMasshole t1_jdvv7a1 wrote

All over the country. Not just Amazon either. A lot of these big corporations seem to be making huge promises for how many jobs they'll create in order to get concessions, then they only deliver a fraction of them.

NooStringsAttached t1_jdvyr9c wrote

Oh wow. What do they get like tax breaks for bringing in jobs and “improving” the area ? There seem to be no consequences to not holding up their end of the bargain, or else it’s cheaper to pay the fines or whatever than to operate as planned.

MammothCat1 t1_jdwpezc wrote

Towns in general can offer incentives for businesses to come in and develop. It's a nice little premium that can help make the first year ROI nice.

Normally though there's a clause somewhere that if they don't produce, they have the regular taxes to pay and will get charged starting at x year. I forget the place you can find most of them but I'm sure a call to your BoS could get some info.

Taco-Maniac-4043 t1_jdyja7p wrote

Same thing in my town. They started building one in a strip mall (bought a bunch of units and demoed them, worked on the exterior and electricity inside, etc.) It was supposed to be ready over a year ago. They never finished the inside and it’s just been sitting there.

dan420 t1_jdvgh7i wrote

Big Y closed 2 years ago last week. Not sure exactly when the signage started going up.

NooStringsAttached t1_jdvhiwm wrote

I’d estimate a good 9 months it’s been there, the sign and the what looks to be completed building.

AlpineLace t1_jdwggye wrote

How about the movie theatre and that monstrosity that they built there that seems to be sitting idle. I read someplace that they are just abandoning projects like this because of there financial stuff

Ialnyien t1_jdwi2mo wrote

You didn’t lose out, better an empty building than the previous tenant.

dan420 t1_jdwiwsc wrote

I mean I thought the big y was pretty alright. Amazon sucks, obviously.

Ialnyien t1_jdwmeah wrote

They have good employees but it’s essentially run by a group of people that are as transparent as a brick wall, you just don’t hear about it much because they have the local news in their pocket. They also have no desire to improve, only to the extent it affects their image.

−1

dan420 t1_jdwo8xa wrote

I mean by my estimation in this region Big Y is behind Stop and Stop, Shaws/ Star Market, market Basket, and buying groceries at Walmart. Impressive that local media is Controlled by Big Y. I mean sure I’d rather support local grocers or farmers markets or whatever, and I didn’t think of them as saints or anything, but it seemed like a fine place to stop in to pick up supplies for dinner on the way home from work. There isn’t even one in my area now, but I’d be interested in knowing what makes them any worse than say Shaws, or Stop and Shop.