Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheEmpressIsIn t1_iunt9ma wrote

you're just going to drive yourself nuts over this. there is no way people will use it correctly until those responsible for enforcement actually work to educate drivers and then punish them when they violate the rules.

sad to say, but it feels like a lost cause to me. in addition, i am tired of mega speeders tailgating me when i am trying to pass a car. some people just feel like they own the road and there's no point arguing with them...

endofthered01674 t1_iunwwh5 wrote

As a general rule, if I am going, say 75 in the left-hand lane and we are passing everybody, I'm making the dude riding my ass wait until I am done passing people.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_iuoa5qq wrote

In that situation, it makes sense as long as you move when there's a reasonable gap in the middle lane. Once you get to the part where there's 40-50 yards between cars, you become the asshole for not moving over.

charons-voyage t1_iuo3smn wrote

Yep, if I’m clearly passing slow drivers in the middle lane at 75+, it’s not my fuckin problem if you wanna go 85. Slow the F down and if you’re gonna ride my ass, at least pull my hair

swat02119 t1_iuqi8vy wrote

You’re causing traffic and congestion, stick to the travel lane

−15

cathellsky t1_iutc9qq wrote

Passing someone else in the designated passing lane does not cause traffic and congestion just because you want to go faster than them. They're allowed to pass.

swat02119 t1_iuus335 wrote

Yeah, but 75 is barely travel speed on the pike. This is a toll road that is well maintained, we like to drive a little faster to get our money’s worth.

−2

notmyrealname17 t1_iuquqbp wrote

That's totally fine, anyone who gets mad because someone is using the passing lane to pass cars a little slower than they'd like is a dildo. This is about those who aren't passing anyone at all who seem to not understand there is a difference in function between the 2 lanes.

WinsingtonIII t1_iurq7ly wrote

>in addition, i am tired of mega speeders tailgating me when i am trying to pass a car. some people just feel like they own the road and there's no point arguing with them...

Right, this is my pet peeve with all this.

I do use the left lane as a passing lane, but way too often I find myself passing someone at say 72mph (they are going 65), and then someone roars up behind and is tailgating me all pissed off because they want to go 90.

Yes, it's a passing lane, but that doesn't mean people there are allowed to go 90 just because they are passing. These people probably say "he was sitting in the passing lane!" But I really wasn't intending to, it was just taking me 30 seconds to pass someone because personally I'm not interested in going 90 just to pass.

TheEmpressIsIn t1_ius1mj4 wrote

exactly this. then, sometimes they rush to pass you on the right the minute a spot opens. i have almost gotten hit due to that when i tried to pass into right lane at the same time.

mrsnrub77 OP t1_iup18nu wrote

I respectfully disagree. I know it can be better because I’ve seen it be better, and not all that long ago.

Also, I’m going to have to drive the Pike for years to come, so I’m hoping people will listen and get better.

Also, to be clear: I am all for ‘left laners’ who want to stay there while passing multiple, ‘spread-out’, right-lane cars. I am all for slowing my sorry ass down to do that. No problem with it, whatsoever.

However: the same principle applies (though I suppose it could be a bit more clear): if you are passing or if you are getting ready to pass by staying in the left lane, fine. If you aren’t, move over. That simple.

finally, for the people complaining about drivers being, “on their ass”? If you are following the rule? You have my every sympathy. It sucks being tailgated when you are but one in a line of cars. If, however you are not following the rules? You’re just staying in the left? Nope. You have no argument. Move out of the way, please. Thank you.

Candid-Tumbleweedy t1_ius5w7l wrote

If you tailgate someone for being in the left lane you’re not fixing the situation. Now there are two problems instead of one.

Somehow cars break everyone’s brains and then everyone thinks they’re the most important person in the world.