Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

swatlord t1_j0muftg wrote

Even if this came true, people would still consider “western Mass” as anything west of Worcester.

Fair-Physics3577 t1_j0mvz71 wrote

Actually Framingham. West of Framingham is western Mass.

MeEvilBob t1_j0n1lsw wrote

In Boston, 495 is the western edge of society, there's nothing between there and Chicago. West of 128 is kind of a no-man's land, there's stuff out there but it's dark and scary out that way so it's best to stay closer to the village where the dark creatures of the western woods will be too afraid of all the bright lights of the city.

ScarletOK t1_j0n5xlo wrote

Sort of works the other way around,also... I was in Spokane, Washington for a meeting a few years ago and at one point my local friend drove onto I-90E and i said, "oh, let's just stay on this--it goes to Massachusetts" (never mind everything in-between!)

Reaper0700 t1_j0odzwi wrote

"Western Mass? Like uh... Grafton, or westa'wusta'?"

MeEvilBob t1_j0ojcjy wrote

I've heard tales from the elders of uncontacted tribes living as far west as Pittsfield, but I assume that's just a myth, nobody could survive that far from the hub.

bubalusarnee t1_j0r387x wrote

I hear there's talk of running a rail road to Pittsfield.

Freedom3264 t1_j0n5ieo wrote

Should just have “Dragons be here” on the map.

MayaIngenue t1_j0qpn2c wrote

I was at a party in Westford once and a girl from Cambridge flat out asked me "Why should I ever go west of 495?" and I replied "well, you could go see where your drinking water comes from, plus you know, the rest of the country."

420trashcan t1_j0qx6g4 wrote

I speak for all of us in Bestern Mass when I say that is 100% true. You'd hate it out here.

Giving_Cat t1_j0na8c9 wrote

Born in Framingham. Yes. Framingham Natick is the furthest extant of Eastern Massachusetts.

Fair-Physics3577 t1_j0niirz wrote

Yup.

And north of Woburn is Northern New England while we are at it.

ChefBoyAreWeFucked t1_j0nrzr6 wrote

If you can't hit someone there with a handful of salty water, believe it or not, Western Mass.

ducaati t1_j0p9217 wrote

I grew up in West Springfield. I’ve been meaning to learn that weird dialect spoken by Bay Staters living closer to the ocean.

tom_echo t1_j0n3el9 wrote

Maybe central ma is also part of western ma

Wizard01475 t1_j0nravc wrote

Or north of it. I grew up in Winchendon (due north) and was told we were western. Not central.

seh0872 t1_j0mvf94 wrote

Interesting… Chicago, MA… Denver, MA… Los Angeles, MA. We would be the most powerful state!

lucascorso21 t1_j0n3wgl wrote

And yet only have 2 senators. 🤷‍♂️

Not as powerful as you may think.

EarnYourBoneSpurs t1_j0nf432 wrote

I mean our vote is already diluted. Maybe we need some more of that sweet land where nobody lives to juice our stats.

Max_minutia t1_j0ngoz3 wrote

We don’t need more land we need to break the land we have up into 15 different states.

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0nwpen wrote

Did you fail middle school social studies?

−7

lucascorso21 t1_j0nwwkf wrote

What did I say that was incorrect?

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0nx646 wrote

The House of Representatives exists. It's kind of an important thing.

−5

lucascorso21 t1_j0nxzrm wrote

Awesome. Maybe you can now go back to middle school civics and tell me how a bicameral legislative branch works.

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0ny8yd wrote

I could do that now, but it seems too complicated for you.

−7

lucascorso21 t1_j0nysti wrote

Lol, okay. Try to find one with small words. I’d hate for you to continue to not understand how bills pass in this country.

But hey, being super aggressive to a stranger over <checks notes> nothing is totally normal behavior. Not at all making you look like an angry cunt.

Objective-Ad4009 t1_j0op70m wrote

We already are.

Cambridge was the number two target for Soviet nukes after D.C.

Wyrmslayer t1_j0mm6vk wrote

Don’t forget our lost territory of Maine

lumberjackninja t1_j0mw2ys wrote

Make Maine Massachusetts Again

4timesthesteak t1_j0n4mbo wrote

But keep NH out

LePoultry-geist t1_j0n8npl wrote

Let's take Portsmouth though. Make em landlocked lol

4timesthesteak t1_j0nadf4 wrote

Fine. But I want the white mountains too. I am willing to trade the cape.

LePoultry-geist t1_j0natp9 wrote

I wouldn't trade the Cape. But they can have the South Coast (like New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton)?

deathtothescalpers t1_j0nf87i wrote

Not sure who would take Taunton in any trade but yeah

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0nx1cy wrote

You call out Taunton, but think they'd willingly accept New Nedford and Fall River?

deathtothescalpers t1_j0oemwf wrote

No, no no. None of that is true I lived in Taunton 20 years. I’m good with Taunton new b and the riva ain’t any betta. That Better?

−1

4timesthesteak t1_j0nnqqk wrote

I feel like the wouldn’t give the whole white mountains for that. Let’s start small, we’ll go your trade package for Mount Washington, and a notch to be named later.

tsujxd t1_j0mx9mn wrote

Maybe we'll finally see high speed rail across the US, even if it just spans MA

M_Shulman t1_j0n7fpk wrote

That’s a lot of trains on fire

sir_mrej t1_j0nqnhj wrote

The most trains on fire ANYWHERE! I guarantee it

notanotheramber t1_j0mu5nj wrote

That's how far "apart" western ma and Boston are financially

Giving_Cat t1_j0n9o8b wrote

OMG. I moved from western Massachusetts to West Coastal Massachusetts.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0ntjog wrote

Super west Massachusetts

Tameg t1_j0nw89s wrote

The westest Massachusetts.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0nx6vr wrote

Is Kansas Central West Massachusetts?

Tameg t1_j0ny379 wrote

Does this make St.Francis an independent State? It’s little enclave is cut off from the rest of Kansas.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0nyea5 wrote

You can see a lot of states with these. I guess the solutions are:

1. Engulf them into Massachusetts: We have conquered the little “islands” too.

2. Let the states keep them: They have to travel through Megachusetts for the most basic of tasks.

3. Make them their own states: Tiny areas are their own states. Small populations, though. Barely city size.

4. Engulf them into their nearest neighbor: Just let the next nearest state take them in.

Tameg t1_j0nz3e6 wrote

Making them independent would be a bitch for voting/electoral legislation. Conquering seems plausible, if our state can achieve manifest destiny just think of what else we could do. Mass would be unstoppable.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0nz71x wrote

I mean, we’ve already conquered a large portion of the states already. And yeah, 2 senate seats and 1 house rep would be weird for each little area.

Tameg t1_j0nxpk0 wrote

I’d say so. Nebraska seems to be Central Mass, so Kansas checks out.

[deleted] t1_j0mqrjn wrote

[removed]

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0nxcmc wrote

Did you fail middle school social studies?

−14

SouthShoreSerenade t1_j0o3eeb wrote

Funnily enough, I have a degree in history. Helps me make political jokes. How about you, thug?

fullocularpatdown t1_j0oa194 wrote

"how about you, thug?" is the hardest shit I've ever heard as a reply. hell yeah.

Daily_the_Project21 t1_j0o83o2 wrote

Thug? Wow. Kind of racist tbh. You'd think with a degree in history, you'd know that. You must be a big tough guy.

−10

Vanillaburp180 t1_j0mt5zm wrote

This is how you get to the Berkshires

theycallmeyango t1_j0mv6a7 wrote

That's pretty crazy I went to college in Boston and now live almost exactly in that spot in California

TheOhrenberger t1_j0nljwi wrote

You know what they say: “you can take the boy out of Massachusetts, but not Megachusetts.”

theycallmeyango t1_j0nlt30 wrote

I can't escape! I'm going to see if I can get my accent back start freaking everybody out here out.

DEWOuch t1_j0ncz3d wrote

I grew up in Erie, Pa and took that straight shot to Boston, Mass. I always knew the latitude was the same bc of the coordinates of my astrological chart.

Tameg t1_j0nwsld wrote

The seatbelt state of America. Keepin us all safe.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0nx9dx wrote

Are we unbuckled right now?

Tameg t1_j0nxung wrote

We’ve been unbuckled for quite a while I’m afraid.

cxp64 t1_j0p513l wrote

And unhinged, too, but that's another story lol

gofigure85 t1_j0n8fmh wrote

Dimmadone dimmassachusetts

DarePatient2262 t1_j0oi2l6 wrote

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Borner791 t1_j0neu1c wrote

Suck it Santa Barbara...

es_cl t1_j0n9am0 wrote

Can we cut through Syracuse, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago instead of going through western NY, western Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana?

We really don’t want any part of Indiana, especially northern Indiana.

DEWOuch t1_j0ndk4f wrote

Western Pa has a high number of folks that are Mayflower descendants. I am one of them. As land opened up for the taking, the OG colonists migrated west to Pa. That’s why the area around Cleveland was designated as the Western Reserve.

gordonfactor t1_j0n8pun wrote

Sure feels like it politically

DroidChargers t1_j0n9f4r wrote

If this were to actually happen, how would this work with states being split?

TheScrantonStrangler t1_j0npbzk wrote

They'd have to pay three tolls and get flicked off in traffic for an hour to travel to the other part of their state then complain when all the Megachusetts residents go to their states only for cheaper booze and cigarettes.

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0nugau wrote

That tiny corner of Arizona would have to pass through mass to go to the supermarket

Edit: spelled “pass” wrong

AverageJoe-707 t1_j0nmpn3 wrote

If that were true, eventually we could take the T to Los Angeles.

mamroz t1_j0nwu5q wrote

Going by how long it took to build the GLX - which is only a few measly miles - it would take 3,213 years to build the Los Angeles Extension.

wickaboaggroove t1_j0o67ny wrote

Megachusetts… resistance is futile, join us, or be assimilated.

DanHassler0 t1_j0oag0y wrote

Is this accurate? Shouldn't it consider that the earth is indeed not flat?

Objective-Ad4009 t1_j0ope4c wrote

That line needs to take a right fork at Albuquerque, cause we want some PNW, Mass.

losergeekorwhatver t1_j0otr8q wrote

What’s crazy is that no matter where in Megachusetts someone is from, they’ll still say they’re from Boston.

jcowurm t1_j0p3dh1 wrote

How could I ever forget Massivechussetts! That and Haramabe are in my heart forever.

thedude2024 t1_j0pggfe wrote

I agree- Worcester is central Mass. Anything west of Worcester is Western Mass. The 413 area code is a myth 🤣

el_toille t1_j0pgh2i wrote

is that MASSIVEchusetts?

thee-mjb t1_j0naz2l wrote

That should be a new state with a direct highway

sabrefudge t1_j0o3qfg wrote

Aw, if this were real, I’d still be considered home in Massachusetts. But alas, California (which is awesome in its own way, but I miss my home state).

TheDestroyer72 OP t1_j0o7wif wrote

Imagine being able to take a train across the country every morning lol

Ksevio t1_j0o6git wrote

The problem with this is if you view it on other map projections, MA ends up looking a little flaccid so we'd be like Florida

S1ntag t1_j0o6uql wrote

Longachusetts?

Longachusetts.

Elibrius t1_j0ovlfg wrote

this is what we could have been

ThatDudeThatWrites t1_j0psq3g wrote

Now I want to read a book that takes place in this version of the United States. The interstate politics would almost be as fascinating as the in-state politics.

FAHQRudy t1_j0qfwpl wrote

That’s why L.A. consistently has the Blue Sox.

jmcflynn33 t1_j0qrku6 wrote

can’t wait for the green line extension

semiconodon t1_j0p0ir8 wrote

… which is still just a subset of Virginia.

wyoung377 t1_j0rv8ep wrote

Am I the only one who watched Good Will Hunting?

aaronmackenzie3 t1_j0pd3ql wrote

Sheltered Eastern MA residents living in a bubble. Little do they know in Western Mass you can make the same salary as out in Boston area but cost of living is way less. But shhh 🤫

stoplightrave t1_j0pj464 wrote

Whoever made this doesn't understand map projections. Ventura, CA is not directly west of Boston.

−2