Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Rockytana t1_ja8g8gw wrote

The swastika was taken by the nazis, it is a very old symbol from Hindu and others.

Edit: it’s a symbol of luck and prosperity, it was even used by the Boy Scouts and on coke a cola products

uv-vis t1_ja8k7u6 wrote

Yes, it was adopted into Buddhism also. I remember a big spat about a Golbat Pokémon card, with the symbol on it. And in East Asian temples and shrines it’s on the doors and everything. I’m sure plenty of tourists get a little confused and/or offended by it.

ShinkuDragon t1_ja8ks4r wrote

iirc japan's maps used the symbol to represent its shrines on maps, leaving more than one tourist fairly indignated.

Count_de_Ville t1_ja8r499 wrote

It's used for Buddhist temples. Not for Shinto shrines. Not nitpicking, just clarifying.

porchpooper t1_ja90ely wrote

Yeah, Shinto shrine symbol looks like a giant A to look like this emoji ⛩️ . Definitely was a little concerned when I saw swastikas on the map in Japan.

ShinkuDragon t1_jabf363 wrote

you're good mate. they are not the same and as the other dude mentioned they're both presented differently on maps.

stopandtime t1_ja95yfm wrote

White people will find anything to be offended

It’s like their 2nd job lol

−7

No-Leading6909 t1_ja8iqg1 wrote

Who doesn’t love the others? They were the best.

Rockytana t1_ja8jshj wrote

Hey, I’m hungover as hell right now and Buddhism was giving me fits on spelling it LOL

altruistic324 t1_ja8zy5z wrote

Its also backwards. Look them up side by side.

KingRhoamsGhost t1_ja987ne wrote

IIRC The original use of the swastikas actually included both rotations. The nazis took the less well known rotation.

LevelDrawers t1_jad4xpa wrote

Yes, the reverse and 45-degree angle "facts" aren't really facts at all. There are many instances of un-tilted swastikas in Nazi Germany, notably at the Nuremburg parade grounds. But redditors are compelled to post the one thing they know every damned time this topic comes up.

Wildse7en t1_ja989jp wrote

And by the downvotes on the post, we can see how quickly people are to learn.

Not so much.

From a marketing standpoint, it’s probably better to not put a picture of a swastika on your product. If you’re trying to sell it.

−1

LevelDrawers t1_jad59in wrote

We're downvoting because anyone who's been on the internet more than 5 minutes knows that swastikas are common in other cultures. We're tired of the fake rage bait and the same 3 factoids about swastikas being repeated every time the topic comes up.

LordDaddyP t1_ja8gnl3 wrote

Thats the symbol of spirituality and divinity in Indian and Buddhist cultures. Not Nazism in this context.

Bryanishired t1_ja9cp2u wrote

Yeah, the Nazis just adapted it for their own cause. It’s interesting how one group using a symbol (modified or not) can ruin the symbol’s reputation for everyone else who was using it first. :/

It makes me think of the American Red Cross. They’re very protective of the Red Cross symbol, just to prevent this sort of thing from happening. They don’t want it being associated with anything other than medical aid.

rookiemistake01 t1_ja8hltj wrote

It's the Buddhist equivalent of being kosher. The irony has bee noted.

Billpod t1_ja8knh8 wrote

Ironically Hitler was vegetarian.

No-Leading6909 t1_ja8lx0x wrote

Who is ironically Hitler? A different one?

Billpod t1_ja8s4tk wrote

Sounds like the name of a punk band tbh

Koolaid_Jef t1_ja8pwdg wrote

He also wasn't blonde and blue eyed which has always confused me tbh. Like Polish people are almost always blonde and blue eyed yet they were labeled how they were? Mental gymnastics if I ever heard

AlexBucks93 t1_ja93etb wrote

A perfect arian is blond as hitler, tall like goebells and slim like goring

r-i-c-k-e-t t1_ja8we75 wrote

He truthfully was not

Billpod t1_ja91a7p wrote

Really? I'd always heard that he was, though never dug into it.

babygrenade t1_ja8mcys wrote

Why is that ironic?

−8

SgtCocktopus t1_ja8msu6 wrote

... literally made slaugterhouses for people.

babygrenade t1_ja8xhzy wrote

It's a dietary choice. Vegetarians aren't necessarily good people.

SgtCocktopus t1_ja8y03e wrote

Still ironic... Nazi germany was one of the first countries to stablish modern animal protection laws but they slaughtered people in worse ways than cattle.

Psych0matt t1_ja8xrbu wrote

I’m not sure bees can understand irony, but I haven’t asked them either

dr3adlock t1_ja8g20t wrote

Why not, its the west that shat on an otherwise peacefull symbol. Lets disarm the nazies by neutralizing their version of this symbol.

Not-Smegma-0n_Demand t1_ja8kxgs wrote

Exactly, take back the swastika!

Imafilthybastard t1_ja8ot35 wrote

Everytime I here someone says "We're taking it back" I think of Randall in Clerks and remember that it's never a good idea hahaha

samtheking25 t1_ja8lvfj wrote

The west didn't do that, The Nazis did

japachu t1_ja973i4 wrote

The Nazi's are part of the Western Civilization history. You can't just ignore it. That's not how it works.

samtheking25 t1_ja97f5v wrote

Sure they are but I don't think the Nazis = the west. Does ISIS represent the middle east?

japachu t1_ja989ob wrote

you seen American culture lately? Nazism is very prevalent in the west still.

TarkovskyAteABird t1_ja91j5t wrote

You'd be surprised how much the west and the nazis have in common

samtheking25 t1_ja927q4 wrote

no

−2

ShoalinShadowFist t1_jaa2kcj wrote

Don’t bother. There was a post recently about explaining how US is worse then a 3rd world country with mad awards and like like 3k upvotes.

The_Dough_Boi t1_ja8z8xp wrote

I know it’s almost been 100 years but it’s probably going to take a lot more time for that to happen.

ajv6200 t1_ja8i263 wrote

Except it wasn’t the west that shat on it was it…

−13

cheapcoffeesucks t1_ja8ijn2 wrote

Pretty sure USA, Europe, and Australia are all considered western

ajv6200 t1_ja8m557 wrote

Yes. But it wasn’t the “west” it was nazi Germany. It was the nazis… not the “west”. And on top of that, there is no reclaiming that symbol, both can be used concurrently, as a Hindu peace symbol, and a swastika. Neutralizing the symbol and making it common place would be insulting to all those who were affected by the swastika. This is a very nuanced debate, but neutralizing a symbol to make it less bad would be the same argument for letting anyone say the N word to decrease the weight the word carries… it’d be quite to neutralize either

uv-vis t1_ja8fxbe wrote

Was the sauce a little too spicy for you as well? To be honest it’s a little outside mein kampfort zone.

Kawachi18 t1_ja8hn5b wrote

It’s a manji. Not a swastika.

tshwashere t1_ja8o5kk wrote

It's a manji, a symbol of Buddhism. The manji denotes that this product is suitable for religious (Buddhist) vegetarians.

As others have pointed out, the swastika has a very noble meaning before Nazi's appropriation. Many Asian and Eurasian countries continue to use the symbol for its original meaning.

tshwashere t1_ja97oj6 wrote

This looks to be Taiwanese from the traditional Chinese. Taiwanese loves to barbecue, and a high percentage of the populace are vegetarians.

Barbecuing vegetables are a thing. Grilled shitake mushrooms are freaking delicious (they taste similar to grilled portabella, but I think more flavorful). Grilled yams, eggplants, vegetarians imitation pork and fish are also a thing.

GurnoorDa1 t1_ja8kqhd wrote

Its a manji… how dumb are you bro

BroccoliPrince t1_ja8hba4 wrote

That's not a swastika, it's a manji. The swastika's "arms" point the other way.

Originally this symbol, the manji, was (and remains) a positive symbol in many eastern cultures. There are similar symbols of luck and prosperity found worldwide, even in Europe. The Nazis wanted a symbol that was recognisable and beloved, they wanted something that people already had something of a stake in, so they took the manji and flipped it. Even their word for it - "swastika" - was taken from Sanskrit words. The whole thing was stolen from the top down.

(Edit: lord preserve me from the people who reply and then immediately block me - way to show faith in your argument, lads 👍)

DryEyes4096 t1_ja8kzx0 wrote

When I was in Japan a Buddhist temple was marked with a manji on Google Maps. This has changed, I've heard.

BroccoliPrince t1_ja94ird wrote

Yeah, I've heard about that. Apparently Japan itself has been looking into removing it from signage and the like too. Iirc the decision to start phasing it out was driven primarily by optics and concern over how tourists would view it, which does seem a bit of a shame to me, feels a bit like just letting the Nazis keep it or something.

asparadawg t1_ja8hltl wrote

A manji is a type of swastika genius. And swastikas can point either way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

BroccoliPrince t1_ja8hqoz wrote

Guess which one came first, GeNiUs.

−4

asparadawg t1_ja8idlj wrote

Pretty pathetic that you can't even be bothered to read the article. LOL Neither came first manji is literally just another word for swastika. Next time educate yourself instead of talking crap.

IronGhost3373 t1_ja8j2n5 wrote

ancient religious and cultural symbol, predominantly in various
Eurasian, as well as some African and American cultures, now also widely
recognized for its appropriation by the Nazi Party and by neo-Nazis. It
continues to be used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian
religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.

TrippySubie t1_ja8o5by wrote

Not every symbol is a swastika

cfdeveloper t1_ja8ovj4 wrote

I'm down-voting post due to OPs ignorance. karma whore

Puzzled-End-3259 t1_ja8j6ya wrote

It's also known by the Navajo as "whirling logs", not a swastika.

captnjak t1_ja8vaaf wrote

This is not a swastika.

hvc801 t1_ja93snd wrote

Swastika goes clockwise, my friend.

d3t3r_pinklag3 t1_ja8mcba wrote

The nazi swastika rolls the other way

XxFrostxX t1_ja8mu8d wrote

Asian product different type of swastika

WatchUnlucky5302 t1_ja8x882 wrote

Looks exactly like Rep Katie Hill’s tattoos that forced her to resign from the DNC not too long ago.

Arnumor t1_ja91ofl wrote

At this point, we just need stickied posts in various subs that pre-emptively point out what a manji is, because apparently today's population has no knowledge of its history, and we get somebody making some kinda 'wtf, swastika?' post every week or two.

kurtcobainwaskilled t1_ja925lk wrote

sometimes it’s better to google first before putting it on reddit

Investinwaffl3s t1_ja94aqr wrote

Imagine being low IQ and ignorant as fuck

Ruyue45 t1_ja94ol8 wrote

This is 100% bait

-Aone t1_ja97elk wrote

This is not swastika - If it makes a cross its a swastika

notkeny t1_ja9a6pp wrote

Not a swastika

R3333PO2T t1_ja9an9y wrote

Thats not even what the nazi swastika looks like, the nazi swastika was designed on an angle and directed the opposite way. This is a buddhist symbol of spirituality

EloWhisperer t1_ja8j5l3 wrote

Also it’s not like American bbq style sauce fyi

SwagFeather t1_ja8ju0b wrote

That’s Manji. I think one of the levels in the original Zelda is shaped like that too.

Danmarmir t1_ja8kkao wrote

OP is dumb as a rock

Buck_Thorn t1_ja8liau wrote

Popcorn, please. A large.

ratsandcats1984 t1_ja8n3pl wrote

We need to take back the swastika. It was and is a very cool and meaningful symbol. If it can be taken then it can be taken back.

sandsnake25 t1_ja8ncr8 wrote

haha It's not a swastika. It's a manji. I know the feeling though. I had no idea it meant anything else until a young girl tried to sell me a bracelet covered with them when I was in India. She explained what it meant, but I still didn't buy it.

tubagoat t1_ja8onhu wrote

I remember, as a 17yo in Germany, seeing that symbol on an old old church tile floor. It was found during an excavation of a church that was over 400 years. I was puzzled when I saw it and my German (language) teacher explained how it was around WAAAAY before the Nazis.

SuccessFuture7626 t1_ja8r2x5 wrote

People Go around just looking for things to be offended by it seems.

DystopianRebel666 t1_ja8w1tx wrote

the nazis were occultists and used various symbols from different mysticisms

x3B1x89 t1_ja8x7m5 wrote

wait until you hear about Hitler ice-cream. It's a real thing - google it.

soorr t1_ja8y999 wrote

it's the symbol for temples on maps in Japan

Pavlock t1_ja8yfe6 wrote

Does it matter that it's square to the edge of the can? Isn't the nazi version rotated 45 degrees?

Maskeno t1_ja8z0l9 wrote

Not for use on Dachau.

Kona_Guy386 t1_ja8z8qa wrote

I was a contractor doing some work at some Indians at their new house. They had some sort of blessing ceremony and these symbols were everywhere written with chalk lol.

Disastrous-Mess-5643 t1_ja912ca wrote

Listen. This symbol can mean luck and prosperity, it can be a sacred symbol, but that was destroyed by the nazis. It’s true meaning was destroyed and cannot recover from that. People are always going to see a swastika and think nazi. There is no way to change that back. You can wear it and use it all you want, but first glance people will always assume Nazi. I’m all for reclaiming, but you have to take into consideration how it was used and if you’re willing to have others assume you represent that. For example: this post.

PsychicLawyer777 t1_ja9181k wrote

Swastika is in the opposite direction. This sign is of American Indigenous People or Hindu.

amitrion t1_ja94pfn wrote

Just wake up from under a rock? Do better

tankrd t1_ja958go wrote

Zyklone Sauce

skippyspk t1_ja9784h wrote

Remember, lefty loosey righty Nazi

Secure-Bus4679 t1_ja97kzk wrote

I remember when I was stationed in Korea I saw someone selling teddy bears on a table on the street. It was little white teddy bears with a giant blue swastika on the chest. Definitely did a double take and was like “holy shit what the fuck is going on around here? Nazi Koreans?? Just out in the open like this?” And then I learned about the other uses for the the symbol and it made a lot more sense haha.

MorseCodeMike t1_ja98601 wrote

The swastika goes the other way. That isn’t a nazi swastika

ivannovick t1_ja9bcik wrote

There are many symbols with a totally different meaning, the Nazi swastika is crossed and points to the right.
The inverted cross is related to satanism but it really means humility, since Saint Peter or someone like him believed that he is not worthy of being crucified in the same way that Jesus did, for which he asked to be crucified upside down

lesmobile t1_ja9c7x1 wrote

It's been 80 years, i say we take the symbol back. Also Charlie Chaplin moustaches.

YourLocalMosquito t1_ja9iakz wrote

As everyone says - this is a Buddhist symbol. The difference is the nazi symbol is rotated 45 degrees. When it’s “upright” like this - the arms vertical and horizontal then it’s all good!

MasterpieceBrave420 t1_ja9ydmh wrote

Jains and some Buddhists are vegetarian. They commonly use this symbol.

yepprd t1_jabnjue wrote

Zis ez zi best Barbey que sauce en Duetchland

LevelDrawers t1_jad4mfb wrote

I wonder if anyone in this thread will point out that the swastika existed for thousands of years before the Nazis appropriated it.

Disarray215 t1_ja8m4p0 wrote

To the left, to the left. To the left, not right left. Lol

jayjay234 t1_ja8r1yu wrote

Thats NOT swastika because swastika, while it looks similar, is tilted 45 degrees.

GogettheDrill t1_ja8wmvl wrote

that isn't a swastika, swastikas are side-ways. That's just Buddhist/ Hindu symbol

FairHous24 t1_ja90f95 wrote

It is still a swastika regardless of orientation. However, it is NOT the swastika of Nazi Germany that most people associate with this ancient symbol.

AdultAccount23 t1_ja8z97e wrote

hey, why not, hitler was a vegetarian after all

KookyHorse t1_ja99wxf wrote

Boo this man.

Booooooooo

[deleted] t1_ja9fi5n wrote

[deleted]

Arael1307 t1_ja8htax wrote

Not sure why they put a Swatstika on the can. I looked it up, it's a Taiwanese company. Maybe some of the company owners are very religious and thought it was appropriate to put it on the can as good luck or positive message to it's customers?

I once had some business with a Taiwanese company and each time they sent a pdf file with their promotions, the first page was a quote from the bible with some extra text around it (don't know what, I generally skipped that page). So I know of at least one company that was including the owner's religion in the business. Not sure if this is something that happens often or not.

I'm also not saying this is definitely religion related, but it is the first explanation I can think of.

Edit: I did some more research. Apparantly some Taiwanese restaurants put a swastika symbol out to show they're a vegetarian restaurant. As it is (among other things) a buddhist symbol and some buddhist don't eat meat. So as this is a vegetarian sauce, the swastika is probably just symbolizing that it's vegetarian.

−6

harrywang88 t1_ja8is94 wrote

It’s also a symbol for Buddhists which a lot of Buddhists are vegetarian so it’s basically the equivalent of having a kosher label on food it’s for religious purposes

Banea-Vaedr t1_ja8hpzq wrote

Don't use it. Tastes like ash

−11