Submitted by nauhlty t3_z8zqi3 in movies

I’m apologizing for any grammar errors occurring in my post. My first language isn’t English, so bear with me. Also, if it might be a spoiler, then I’ll apologize for that too.

I post rarely on Reddit and I don’t know how I feel about it. I researched through a lot of websites, but I got no answer to this question. Today I rewatched “The Truman Show” on Amazon Prime with my daughter and as we watched, I told her that there is one scene I was shocked about back then (she likes to spoiler herself): That the “director” is actually Truman’s real father.

And as the movie ended, the scene never came.

I got quite confused and asked myself, if I had a bad recollection of the movie, so I tried to find the specific scene. Maybe it was cut from the original airing. They do cut scenes for other releases (Directors cut etc.) for timing reasons.

But my research came out with no conclusion or answers.

So I’ll try my luck here. If it’s just a case of the Mandela Effect, then I’m sorry for taking your time of the day to bother you. So does anyone remember this scene too?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PotterAndPitties t1_iye8jzu wrote

The Director Christof makes a big speech at the end calling himself "the creator". Truman was a baby adopted by the studio.

RK_Bob t1_iye6lrh wrote

No, personally I do not.

tysontysontyson1 t1_iye7104 wrote

It’s the Mandela Effect. That scene was never in the movie.

[deleted] t1_iye911e wrote

Could be that you're in your own version of The Truman show, and your Director did a cut, removing that entire scene from you or anybody even remotely associated with to make you think it's not a thing

No_Cow_7012 t1_iyegjhz wrote

Did his real father not break into the set as a drunk or something

TrueLegateDamar t1_iyemzi0 wrote

That was his stage father who was 'killed off' to give Truman a traumatic fear of open water as to prevent him leaving the set, only to try get on set again and than was 'brought to life' to try keep Truman calm but just convinced him nothing was real.

TreesBirdsGrass t1_iye6oow wrote

I do not recall that scene from the blockbuster copy I rented 20 years ago.

thatCapNCrunch t1_iye9jf8 wrote

Like someone else said, the creator of the show is often referred to as The Creator, and has a God complex. He didn’t adopt Truman and is not his real father. But the corporation who made the show legally adopted Truman, so I understand why you would be confused.

angel19999 t1_iyekiiv wrote

I don't remember that line. AFAIK, we don't know Truman's biological father.

If English is not your first language, may I suggest that you probably watched a bad translation back then, where the translator had just made that up?

Sonny_Crockett_1984 t1_iyepgqn wrote

I watched this in the theater and several times while working at a video store. It is a favorite of mine. I still own my "Free Truman" button, lol. Never saw this scene. Also, never heard of it being in any deleted scenes so it must be your imagination playing tricks on you.

Great film. Peter Weir is an amazing director.

afty t1_iyeii37 wrote

I love that movie and have seen it a dozen times (including twice when it was out in theatres) and I will confirm no such scene ever existed.

The_Meemeli t1_iyeyish wrote

I've seen the film twice and I don't remember that scene.

New_Poet_338 t1_iyf9ptn wrote

I think that is The Empire Strikes Back.