Submitted by Lannden t3_11psuw5 in newhampshire

This might be a weird question, but does anyone know about the moped license mentioned on the NH dmv website? I have a friend who is moving here from CO, she exclusively rides an electric moped. I guess in CO they don’t require a moped license but NH does. The problem is, besides college and my own few years in CO I have been a life long NH resident and I have never seen anyone with an exclusive moped license and besides the small section on the DMV website stating you need it if you wish to only ride a moped I can find nothing about the requirements for said license. Does anyone know about the process for getting this license?

Just a small note, she has no interest in riding anything but her moped and does not want to get a full driver’s license. I have talked to her about all the pitfalls of this but she is adamant about this. She is willing to do the motorcycle course if need be, but it seems like you need a traditional license to get that as well? Correct me if I am wrong on that one please as I just drive a car.

I usually wouldn’t take this type of question to Reddit but I have searched high and low and can’t find anything beyond what is on the DMV site.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

59000beans t1_jbzohgm wrote

Never seen a moped license, but most people I know with a moped have a regular drivers license. NH has moped plates, the whole process is done through the DMV -- extremely cheap to register them too. Definitely call the DMV and inquire there, best way to do it. Theres a moped shop in Portsmouth too, Port City Mopeds, and you could ring them and ask if they might know, but better off just calling the DMV.

Doug_Shoe t1_jbzth58 wrote

It's the same requirements as an operator's license. The difference is that the test would be on a moped, and then you only have a license for a moped.

Personally, I'd get the operator's license.

I've never known anyone with a moped only license. I have known people with a motorcycle only license.

ninjamansidekick t1_jbzu87p wrote

A valid driver's license should keep you out of trouble on a moped.

Loosh_03062 t1_jbzwas9 wrote

Are you looking for this?

263:33-a Moped License; Driving Mopeds. – The department shall cause to be issued a restricted license for persons without a driver's license or motorcycle license for all applicants who successfully complete the requirements for a restricted license. Applicants for such license shall be required to pass a written examination prepared by the director. No person shall drive a moped on a way of this state unless such person possesses a driver's license or restricted motorcycle license or is duly licensed to drive a moped by a license issued under this section. No person shall knowingly authorize or allow the driving of a moped owned by the person or in his or her charge on a way of this state by any person who does not hold a driver's license, a motorcycle license, or a moped restricted motorcycle license.

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/263/263-33-a.htm

Loosh_03062 t1_jbzwll9 wrote

And:Saf-C 1003.06 Special Moped License, Examinations Required.(a) Each applicant for a special moped license shall satisfactory complete the following in the order reflected:(1) The visual acuity examination set forth in Saf-C 1004.01; and(2) The knowledge examination set forth in Saf-C 1005.01.

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/saf-c1000.html

Lannden OP t1_jbzxcbn wrote

No, I found that it is on the DMV website. I was looking for the details on what the test would entail like you can find for every other class of license. Nothing goes inyo detail on the process like the operator’s license or motorcycle license.

Loosh_03062 t1_jc018xa wrote

Following the reference:Saf-C 1005.01 Knowledge Examination: Description.(a) The knowledge examination shall consist of up to 50 multiple choice questions designated by the director, according to the class of driver license(s) requested by the applicant.(b) Each question shall have multiple answers, only one which is correct.(c) Each question shall focus on the New Hampshire motor vehicle laws according to the class of driver license(s) requested by the applicant.

Which one can probably take to mean "anything under RSA 265 is fair game" since there aren't many rules of the road specific to mopeds (the "no riding motorcycles sidesaddle was a minor surprise, although it makes sense).

Other than that, there only seems to be the generic stuff at https://www.dmv.nh.gov/drivers-licensenon-driver-ids/driver-licensing-testing-requirements

4ak96 t1_jbzmkok wrote

Your friend doesn’t seem too smart if she thinks she’s gonna survive a New Hampshire winter without a car…

Lannden OP t1_jbzmozo wrote

She survived CO winters so… it isn’t really my choice to tell her otherwise I am just trying to help her when she gets here.

WackyInflatableAnon t1_jbzpaew wrote

I guess it's doable if she has a job that doesn't mind if she's absent every snow day, or within walking distance

Lannden OP t1_jbzqasw wrote

She is a software dev so she works remotely, mostly. But she does ride in the snow.

RobynZombie t1_jbzt8kv wrote

This says something about her driving skills, lol. I lived in Denver for a bit and they never, I mean NEVER plowed during snowstorms. I had a rough go some days in my 4Runner.

4ak96 t1_jbzmuxo wrote

I imagine there’s better public transport or Uber/Lyft support out there though, no?

Federal-Cockroach-62 t1_jc2b8ex wrote

No license necessary if it’s under 50 ccs. Electric nothing either. Just 12 bucks for a moped plate. So easy

ThePencilRain t1_jcdlv86 wrote

Mopeds just need a regular dl as long as they are under 50cc. The plates are cheap.

If you don't have a dl, we'll, you're kinda fucked.

Able_Cunngham603 t1_jbzyuao wrote

An “electric moped” sounds a lot like an e-bike. You don’t need a license to ride a bike (even an electric one).

Stop calling it a moped, stay to the right, and I’m sure she’ll be fine.

−2