Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

vorrhin t1_iw2rf15 wrote

Here's the issue: the state set up an online portal to process childcare checks. The portal has never worked, resulting in childcares losing potential hires who couldn't wait forever to start the job. The waiver was put in place so the portal could be fixed, but the state never fixed it. So now the childcares will have to both lose staff they've already had on, AND be unable to hire anyone else. The state needs to get their shit together. I was in a meeting yesterday where all the childcare directors were discussing the possibility of striking. How are y'all going to get to work if the daycares strike??

Granolapitcher t1_iw2tgay wrote

Daycare workers make shit pay too. They should already be striking

vorrhin t1_iw33xo0 wrote

And the owners can't raise their pay because they can only charge so much because families can't afford any more. It's a vicious cycle.

Lumpyyyyy t1_iw3dmae wrote

How much are owners pulling in after expenses? I’ve been curious about that

HikeEveryMountain t1_iw3h5li wrote

There are lots of nonprofit daycares in NH, too, where the director makes a fixed salary and other than that all the earnings go right back into staffing, food, supplies, and facilities. They're broke too. It sucks.

Loosh_03062 t1_iw3jl7f wrote

And if they're nonprofit then their financials are public record in the form of their IRS Form 990s. Salaries of corporate officers and top employees should be lsted.

Granolapitcher t1_iw3hbr9 wrote

As I understand it and I’m by no means an expert insurance costs a LOT to run a daycare and the owners do not make a lot of money

valleyman02 t1_iw2yeoi wrote

This is what happens when you break government by defunding it. And then not have a plan to fix it. I'm sure Sununu will be giving it lip service shortly. Now there a leader who can talks in circles.

KingBubbaBouy1 t1_iw3xeka wrote

Remember about this time last year Biden’s infrastructure plan got shot down? In that plan Childcare centers were going to be subsidized because they ARE infrastructure.. along with capping and subsidizing what parents pay. Im not saying it would’ve solved this problem, but being able to pay childcare workers an extra 3-5 per hour raising their pay to above 20per hr would’ve helped the child care labor crisis! Next time something like that is on the table dont let them tell you tax cuts are better!!!

Few-Afternoon-6276 t1_iw5gwo7 wrote

3-5 brings them over 20$ per hour?? Hahahaha… it brings them to 15-19!! This job is a dead end job.

occasional_cynic t1_iw45ylo wrote

You mean the BBB bill filled with increased entitlements without a price tag and no way to pay for it?

−7

KingBubbaBouy1 t1_iw6fow0 wrote

No way to pay for it? Lol. You watch too much Faux news my friend!

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw3ydib wrote

Tax cuts are better.

I shouldn't have to pay a singular fraction of a penny because you're unable to care for the child you had.

−25

wRIPPERw_ t1_iw3ytxz wrote

Well then you're an asshole. Straight up saying "fuck you, I got mine". God forbid your taxes go somewhere useful.

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw3yzft wrote

They should go to fund the military and build roads like God intended.

Not watching your kid because you cant

−25

wRIPPERw_ t1_iw3z8p2 wrote

Ah yes, thousands of years ago God decided that the United States should not fund childcare, and instead fund the world's largest military and roads that are in disrepair anyway.

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw48oz3 wrote

Ah so you understand the federal government misuses taxes, therefore proving my point that we are better off with tax cuts VS child care.

−8

wRIPPERw_ t1_iw4c69m wrote

Maybe you are, but everyone else in the country would be better off if taxes actually paid for things that we needed, such as healthcare or childcare.

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw4cfz5 wrote

You entirely missed the point.

Fix your own roads. And take care of your own child.

−3

MsTomHardy t1_iw4xt36 wrote

Surely you realize at least some of the people responsible for building roads require childcare.

wRIPPERw_ t1_iw4fl54 wrote

I don't have kids. I never will. But I understand the value in paying my due so that everyone benefits. You're clearly too selfish to understand that.

Also, what do you mean fix my own roads? I don't own any roads. Neither do you. Earlier you said to build more roads. Who's paying for that? Trogolodyte.

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw7sb6g wrote

I own a road on my property.

Guess you don't understand how private roads work.

−1

KingBubbaBouy1 t1_iw6g5il wrote

You obviously have never looked at a property tax bill.

Connect_Stay_137 t1_iw7s4i3 wrote

I have. Taxes are a scam and should only go to pave roads and fund a defensive military

KingBubbaBouy1 t1_iw82clr wrote

Take your red hat off, wipe the blue paint off your face and join our democracy! We call it the American way my friend!

Demfer t1_iw4ggnf wrote

You want to hire more qualified teachers? Pay more, provide benefits. Some of the best teachers at my kids school bounced to work at Whole Foods or Starbucks and this even after they raised fees on childcare at my center. The poor owner of the center need to chip a few hours a week now to provide coverage for the ratios . Seems she rolls up in a new BMW or Benz every other week. Give me a break

YouAreHardtoImagine t1_iw8wo35 wrote

This is the exact stuff we would see. I still see ads for workers w/ a degree, no benes, and never close to $20/hr. I would rather sling coffee too than put up with that.

Dubbsss14 t1_iw2lmct wrote

It’s not about worrying if they’re going to pass a background check or not. It’s about the state taking so long to have available appointments and then processing the background checks. People could be available to work the following week or in 2 weeks- but they can’t until they can get an appointment and then still have to wait for the background check to clear. Available appointments are weeks out.

Turnover is a whole different story. Teachers that come in now come in with too much expectation for kids. Childcare is a tough job, not just a paycheck.

Auntienursey t1_iw2aop3 wrote

If you're worried your staff can't pass a background check, you need different staff. I've been fingerprinted and background checked in every job I've had that had me working with kids, as a direct support staff and as a nurse. It's to protect the kids and should be a priority.

RevolutionaryAd492 t1_iw2d1xh wrote

Yea, the problem isn't so much that they won't pass, it's more of a logistical issue. The job market is currently very competitive, and if you tell me "you can start working and getting paid in 6+ weeks", while another employer says "you can start working ASAP", then you'll obviously choose the latter, all else being equal. That's why the article is discussing a waiver pending the results of the background check.

quintk t1_iw2i1c2 wrote

And this explains the constant stream of notices about waivers from our daycare. If that gets shutdown in December that is rough

CannaQueen73 t1_iw2b1a2 wrote

The concern is that it can take up to 6 weeks. That’s ridiculous.

Auntienursey t1_iw2bes3 wrote

Absolutely. Most of mine took less than 10 working days. Most folks I know can't afford to wait 6 weeks to be cleared.

5nd t1_iw2e6qv wrote

Excellent leftoid take, especially since you didn't RTFA, which is exactly in line with what I expect from leftoids.

−36

Auntienursey t1_iw2eef7 wrote

Do you speak English? Sorry I don't speak troll. And I have absolutely no respect for someone who's not interested in protecting children. Or are you one of those that children need protecting from? Right...

hellsongs t1_iw2hzkp wrote

I don’t understand? I’m pretty conservative and a father who thinks that taking whatever measure possible to ensure kids’ utmost safety transcends politics? To make it relatable for you; Just think of the Moloch worshipping, adrenochrome guzzling, lizard-people-pedophiles in the White House for God’s sake.

dojijosu t1_iw2j3eq wrote

It’s cool. 5nd is kind of famous for having the worst takes. It’s his gimmick.

smartest_kobold OP t1_iw2habw wrote

Seeking asylum: Extreme vetting Caring for children: quick and cheap vetting

lMickNastyl t1_iw60pkr wrote

"Leftoid" 🤢

Why do I get the feeling that's not the only word ending in -oid you use?

Bertob15 t1_iw2iqh5 wrote

The turnover from childcare workers is way too high already, putting more obstacles to hiring is a bad idea. The businesses and their ability to provide services will suffer from this.

smartest_kobold OP t1_iw2jt2r wrote

Maybe they should find a way to reduce turnover.

RickyDaytonaJr t1_iw2n49k wrote

I paid $35,000 in daycare fees last year for my two kids. Our daycare pays the highest wages of any daycare in our area, and there is still a ridiculous amount of turnover.

smartest_kobold OP t1_iw2qwrj wrote

Sounds like much bigger solutions are needed instead of quicker background checks

RickyDaytonaJr t1_iw2s96n wrote

It’s a tough job. The pay has improved, but still isn’t anything to write home about ($17-$25/hour at the daycare my kids go to). It’s a highly regulated industry, and often the teachers have to work through breaks to maintain required ratios. There aren’t many new people coming into the industry, so the daycare facilities all try to poach each other’s staff…and the result is chronic staffing shortages and dramatically increasing costs.

Fizzle_Fazzle t1_iw49ptj wrote

When I went to enroll in an early childhood education program at a community college in the state, the advisor straight up told me I was going to be paid poorly and asked me a few times if I was sure. She pushed me to really consider getting to the level where I could be a lead teacher going into any job. At the time she told me to expect about $10/hr starting out. So I would have student loans to be paid back and only be making $10/hr. Things got all screwed up with the classes so I dropped them and was supposed to start the correct classes the next semester but I got a job at a produce market for $9.75/hr which pretty quickly was raised to $14/hr. Then I got into data entry and made $18/hr with incredible insurance and never looked back. I miss working with children but I don't regret turning away from that path.

valleyman02 t1_iw30i1t wrote

Sounds like a worker's wage and benefits problem. Money does not seem like the problem. As in your paying more than enough to fund a great program. Seems like when you can't find workers you're probably not paying enough wages.

−2

manicmonkeys t1_iw2sryi wrote

Do you know how well they pay? Aka do they actually pay good wages, or just slightly less shitty than other daycares?

RickyDaytonaJr t1_iw2tdzz wrote

Entry level (Assistant Teacher) starts at $17/hour at the daycare my kids go to. Lead teachers could start up to $23/hour, but I’ve recently heard of new hires with experience getting up to $25/hour. Other daycares in my area pay less.

Naillian603 t1_iw2yvmg wrote

Working with other people’s little kids under strict rules and scrutiny by parents, all while under serious constant surveillance. Not really what I would call an easy, low-stress job…

WeirdEngineerDude t1_iw2hv0r wrote

Not sure if it’s still this way but for DOD secret clearances used to take 6 months to a year. Companies will hire people and have them work offsite or on sideline stuff while they wait for the clearance to come through and then they can start the real job. 6 weeks seems super fast by comparison.

Darwins_Dog t1_iw2kk5x wrote

The change is that there used to be a waiver that let new hires start right away as long as they are supervised. The waiver is going away so they won't be able to start early.

heeyyyyooo t1_iw2g4cd wrote

Is this process similar to jobs requiring a security clearance? By that I mean is the background check good anywhere you work as long as you keep up the annual requirements or do you need a new background check for each employer?

Impossible-Bear-8953 t1_iw2j2y6 wrote

Looks like it has to be completed up to 1 year before the start of employment, upon change of resident status (for in home child care) and then renewed every 5 years.

[deleted] t1_iw2l1zk wrote

[deleted]

−6

vorrhin t1_iw2r2oo wrote

Who is "we"? Your checks might go through a different system. For DCYF they routinely take 6 weeks.

thathighwhitekid t1_iw30867 wrote

For government, too, like childcare on the shipyard. Would usually take 6-10 weeks to get the background check back, but it’s a deep dive.