Submitted by TheMusicGenome t3_11z648i in newhaven

Hey y'all. I'm planning on moving back to New Haven this summer after almost 5 years of being away and I was curious if anyone here has any experience or thoughts on Fair Haven or Fair Haven Heights sections of New Haven as I have limited familiarity inside those areas.

I have previously in the greater New Haven area (for almost a decade) and I'm very familiar with the city but I'm not particularly familiar with this neighborhood in general so I looking for insight and feedback.

For reference: I've lived in West Haven (near UNH), Westville (just east of the park), East Rock, and Whitney Ave (technically Hamden as it was just over the border of NHV line).

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Maybe worth noting? I'm an open minded middle aged male with a dog.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spirited1 t1_jdbaup4 wrote

I just moved out of Fairhaven Heights and it's not bad. I lived near the water though and a lot of houses there are renovated or new construction so it's nicer. I never felt unsafe walking my dog after work at 12am around the grand bridge area. I'm a 28m for reference.

Just make sure your building doesn't flood regulary, I moved out because my buildings basement was moldy af and I could smell it regularly on the top floor if it was bad.

buried_lede t1_jdblgut wrote

Have friends on both sides of the river who all bought their homes there in the same decade. It’s an area with neighborhood spirit and a lot of beauty along the water. It was an Oyster Village originally and much of that is preserved. All those walk out basements on the front of houses on Front Street and on Q Ave have oyster shucking stations just inside - usually a counter and sink.

You can get to know people pretty quickly in the neighborhood and they care a lot about the neighborhood and take pride in it.

For some reason it’s never been able to support a neighborhood gourmet grocer but has had a nice wine shop for years now. The restaurant on the Q Ave side that opened recently is well reviewed.

On the Front Street side, there is the famous (or notorious) Waucoma Yacht Club, a marina, which you should definitely join if you move there. You’ll meet everyone that way. ( I like to call it the Glaucoma or just, the Coma Yacht Club.) it’s not expensive and has a bar. There is also a nice breakfast place over there.

You’ll meet lots of interesting people and it has that village feel you get in Westville too.

I would avoid south of the waterfront on Quinnipiac but up the hill from the water on the Q side has many options.

Front St traffic is less crazy than Q Ave traffic. Rush hour on Q Ave sucks.

Up the hill off East Grand there is a wonderful Friends Meeting House.

There are some nice houses all over the hill and of course on the Front St side too.

If you don’t find anything in that whole area, people have been piling in somewhat less so, into the Chatham Square area for quite a while now and it’s sort of a sister neighborhood.

Rocco’s Bakery is good too and there is a supermarket in Grand near Front.

Bring your canoe

Edit: There is a farmers market in the park along the river. Forgot to mention that.

darkegon t1_jddq2qr wrote

A friend called the Waucoma the “walk home-ah” because we could drink as much as we’d like and then just walk… home…. ah, I didn’t need to describe that so explicitly, did I?

marche_au_supplice t1_jdb6ql2 wrote

I had never considered it seriously until I had a coworker who lived there for several years and was very happy. Fair haven along the water is totally nice and livable.

cdoc777 t1_jdbunkc wrote

I bought my house in the heights 13 years ago and love my neighborhood. We lived in lower Fair Haven prior and wanted to stay in the area. Our neighbors are awesome. We love the diversity that our kids get to experience. My youngest even goes to preschool in the neighborhood so we can walk her there. We plan on being here for quiet sometime.

TheyCallMeTylee t1_jdcgflb wrote

If you're looking on Front St to the South of Grand Ave, consider seeing if any of the "Riverplace" Condos are available for sale or rent. I bought mine in 2019 and plan to stay for a while more. I'm 35, male, no kids. I have loved the location and neighborhood ever since. The neighbors have been friendly and helpful. Favorite parts -- Wake up to sunrises, a view of the river, the oyster boats, and grand ave bridge (turns for larger boats to pass through). There's an osprey nest we can see from our windows, and we follow the feathered family every year as it rears it's young. There's often people fishing in the warmer weather months. Lots of dog-walkers. In addition to the park (where there are occasional concerts and mini-farmers markers), there's potential to get involved with multiple nearby community gardening sites. also amazing Latin American food. And in the autumn, there's pretty foliage to appreciate. I really enjoy feeling a little more connected to nature, but not far from down town (short commute, maybe 10 or 15 minutes).

kppeterc15 t1_jdcv2wo wrote

I've never personally lived there but my wife and I came close to buying a condo on Front Street in 2018. Neighbors seemed wonderful.

In the years since a few of my friends have bought houses/condos in the area (it's about the only part of town where a younger adult can still afford to) and they all like it a lot. We love where we settled in Hamden but part of me wishes we'd ended up part of the wave of Millennial homesteaders along the river.

notablyunfamous t1_jdd6fpv wrote

Heights isnt a terrible area as far as fair haven goes.