Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

catsmash t1_jdgy4rw wrote

it’s a deliberately distasteful final suggestion directly juxtaposed with the preceding list of perfectly normal ideas, jokey self-effacement given that the article is exploring how it can feel to be perceived as a vulgar little townie by society’s upper echelons.

you don’t have to find it funny, but fully & repeatedly clutching your pearls over it on this post is just kind of dopey.

Kbts87 t1_jdiwbjm wrote

Listen, I have no problem with crass humor, but I just don't see how a 40 year old dude proposing that he get a 20 year old college student pregnant and baby trap her just to, what, prove a point, is funny, juxtaposition or not. Have you considered that there are some subjects that just aren't funny? Perhaps you should be more outraged. OP is writing about creepy, predatory behavior, and going "ha ha, it's a joke" doesn't change that fact. Sorry my principals ruined your sick comedy hour, but no one asked you to debate me. I'm allowed to be outraged just as you're allowed to have your own opinion, so kindly fuck off.

−2

jlevnhv OP t1_jdjblo1 wrote

> 40 year old dude proposing that he get a 20 year old college student pregnant and baby trap her just to, what, prove a point, is funny, juxtaposition or not

I didn't even go to Yale.

catsmash t1_jdj6jc7 wrote

>I just don't see how a 40 year old dude proposing that he get a 20 year old college student pregnant and baby trap her just to, what, prove a point, is funny,

uhh, probably because that's not what he says at all. it's a suggestion he's making, jokingly, to the hypothetical yalie in question.

the exact quote: "Get out there. Visit a non-Yale bar. Attend a Night Market, or Arts & Ideas. Go hang out in Elm City Games. Get a membership to MakeHaven. Go to the beach. Get a townie pregnant. [emphasis mine] Visit the local Planned Parenthood!"

like, come on, dude. it's not even like i don't love righteous outrage, myself, but i'm also, like, VERY MUCH for taking the time to actually, you know, fucking read the thing i'm purporting to be outraged about before i start telling people to "kindly fuck off," lol.

Kbts87 t1_jdj758n wrote

−2

catsmash t1_jdj7wzb wrote

yes, indeed: the joking advice, once again, in the quote YOU QUOTED YOURSELF in the link above: "GET A TOWNIE PREGNANT," and in the comment following, explaining that this would be making the fake yalie in question who completed this act a "REAL NEW HAVENER" because, implicitly, they WERE NOT ALREADY ONE.

he is NOT ANYWHERE HERE saying he has any interest in BABY TRAPPING ANYBODY, holy shit, this is ten thousand percent a thing you have made up in your head to be mad about.

edit: again - it was slightly distasteful! it was fully intended to be! but it is not, in any fucking remote capacity, "a 40 year old dude proposing that he get a 20 year old college student pregnant and baby trap her". it is objectively just not the thing you thought it was. you misread, and you were wrong. it's okay to be wrong about things sometimes, jesus christ.

Kbts87 t1_jdjedp6 wrote

Okay let's summarize. OP:

*Writes an article actively bashing college students half his age because they aren't more invested in the town he lives in.

*Writes in a comment that he has dated some of those students, but it's not creepy because at the time he was only one decade older than them rather than two. (Clearly those relationships ended well if he goes on to write an article saying how horrible his ex's college peers are.)

*Ends the article by suggesting pregnancy and possibly abortion as a fun pastime.

*States in another comment that if one were to become baby trapped it would boost the townie population.

But that's funny somehow? Got it. You win. I get it, we find different things funny. You're allowed your opinion and I'm allowed mine. Clearly we're not going to see eye to eye on this, so please just stop. No need for the caps lock shouting. Just walk away.

catsmash t1_jdjhbg6 wrote

nobody was in here arguing about "whether Kbts87 thinks this joke was funny". nobody, in fact, particularly cares whether Ktbs87 thinks it's funny.

what we WERE arguing about, up until you very abruptly veered entirely from it just now, was whether he was "a 40 year old dude proposing that he get a 20 year old college student pregnant and baby trap her," which you insisted he was. aaand he's not. you were wrong. the end. the rest of this shit never entered the conversation. well, bye!

catsmash t1_jdjiqms wrote

so weird, it really was, and so was this in the comment immediately following that one:

***"***you don’t have to find it funny"

Kbts87 t1_jdjj4du wrote

And yet you felt the need to have this entire exchange about whether or not it was a joke. For someone who claims not to care if I find it funny, you've gone awfully out of your way trying to convince me it's a joke.

catsmash t1_jdjk6dh wrote

actually, super weird, i think you'll find that my concern, as repeatedly stated, was not and continues not to be whether you thought anything was funny, but was, and continues to be, based entirely around the fact that you were erroneously and repeatedly characterizing OP as some kind of predatory pervert targeting young women based entirely on your pretty severe misread of said joke, which is, hey, pretty fucked up of you, actually!

Kbts87 t1_jdjp01e wrote

I've made characterizations based on OPs written article and subsequent comments, which you're choosing to explain away, claiming it's a joke. You know, two things can be true at once right? If a misogynist makes sexist jokes, but prefaces everything with "guys it's a joke" would you still not call that individual a misogynist? Don't worry, that was rhetorical. No need to answer.

You're claiming I misread the joke. No. I just don't find it funny, and for some reason that really bothers you. But supposedly it doesn't. If it doesn't bother you, then stop commenting.

−2