Submitted by ellindsey t3_11rbig3 in newjersey

My wife was lamenting to me the other day how much she misses the old Mongolian Barbecue restaurant that used to exist in New Brunswick, which had been a date night restaurant for us way back in the day. That restaurant closed many years ago. Are there any similar restaurants remaining anywhere in New Jersey? There are still plenty of hot pot restaurants, but that's not quite the same thing.

For those unfamiliar, it was a restaurant where you would take a bowl and from a buffet-style table collect diced vegetables, frozen shaved meat, noodles or rice, and a collection of sauce and oils. You would then take your ingredients up front to the cook who would cook the ingredients in front of you on a large circular metal cooking surface. You'd then take your bowl of delicious seasoned noodles, meat, and veggies back to your table to eat, and then optionally repeat the process until you were full.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hdaana1 t1_jc7piwo wrote

Anyone know of one in south Jersey?

Ordinarily_Claim t1_jc80gtj wrote

Magic Grill in Garwood. It is family owned and the dumplings are made daily and are delicious. I’ve been going there since I was a kid and now take my kids there.

hip_drive t1_jc80kg2 wrote

Thirding Magic Grill. The BBQ is great, but the dumplings are truly addictive.

bsidetracked t1_jc83sy1 wrote

I also miss that place in New Brunswick! It was great for a filling meal on a student budget. I have to echo Magic Grill if it's still as good as it was in the 90s. Pleasantly surprised to hear it's still open.

atomicflounder t1_jc86t0q wrote

When I was in the northern part of the state, nearest was Khan’s by the Palisades mall, but I will third/fourth/fifth/whatever is next the Magic Grill in Garwood

rachelthelibrarian t1_jc880xy wrote

I loved that place in New Brunswick! Nothing like a bowl of Mongolian BBQ :)

RivChk t1_jc8c4x3 wrote

Oh me too! I loved that place in New Brunswick.

vegas_gal t1_jc8cj6e wrote

JP LEES!! I also miss that place in New Brunswick!

mymainmanmoney t1_jc8csne wrote

Meng gao Yang bbq is hands down one of my favorite restaurants

Jimmytowne t1_jc8ex9s wrote

There used to be one in Montclair in the basement of the Claridge. Loved that place. There was a chain in New England called fire and Ice that did that too

Linenoise77 t1_jcb5wwh wrote

There was a great one in Milburn that was around forever, that i forget the name of. I recall hearing it closed maybe 5 years ago.

Also was one way back in the early 2000s in hoboken that was good, and had a crazy eclectical cast of characters in their revolving door of staff. i must have ate their weekly for a few years from when i first moved in, until when they closed down.

Deadfish211 t1_jdqpn95 wrote

I've been going to magic grill for around 25 years. Can't recommend it enough