Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

eskihomer t1_jeeq3ys wrote

Haven’t been in years but Bluewater Seafood on 18 was always one of our faves

Also Ria Mar in South River was a great Portuguese spot. Excellent paella

lotusvagabond t1_jefghgc wrote

IMO Campozino & Portuguese Fisherman are much better. Also Campozino has great staff that really keep an eye out for their customers, which is great for a first date.

ColdYellowGatorade t1_jeg7luu wrote

Bluewater was very good the last time i went a few years back. Amazing!

eskihomer t1_jeg92eg wrote

Same! Although my last visit was pre-pandemic so 🤷🏽. They may have also changed owners but I don’t know that for certain, although it has changed hands several times over the years and never dipped in quality.

My parents are still in the area and say it is still great but they are far from reliable in the space of food recs

mkj3322 t1_jeew40d wrote

I like gusto grill. N-Thai is great. Our mall is small and rather lame, but it has a movie theatre.

anotherjerseygirl t1_jef2yv1 wrote

Omg I haven’t been to N-Thai in years but now I’m craving it! Great atmosphere too!

biscovery t1_jeexa2v wrote

Pinos in Highland Park has live music over the weekend. Nightlife in New Brunswick isnt what it used to be but they have tons of good restaurants and great place for plays. Also has a geology museum and zimmerali art museum both of which are free.

If it was me I would do early date, goto both museums then eat somewhere downtown on of off george st, maybe bar hop a bit on george st and goto pinos later on to see music if you’re still energetic at that point.

Also Rutgers gardens is a great date spot but maybe not the best place for first date cause parts of it are somewhat secluded, though not all.

nicklor t1_jeexr5q wrote

I personally don't get the appeal of pinos it's pricey for the area and not that great inside.

biscovery t1_jeey8pq wrote

Its the only venue in the area that consistently has good live music, they allow dogs, have video games, and do all sorts of cool shit regularly. If you’re not a music fan I’d understand thou.

nicklor t1_jeeyr2n wrote

I get you. I've gone for trivia night before but otherwise I prefer to go by the shore if I can.

−1

biscovery t1_jef0qlq wrote

Shores where i go during the summer but when its cold out its a close easy option for people that live around here.

infl1ct1on t1_jef6hs0 wrote

The appeal is that tons of people can walk to it, and they basically have a musician or event every single night of the week. You can also bring in your own food (Except pizza since they serve that now), and HP has some pretty good restaurants to choose from.

islamcardoors t1_jeezhc9 wrote

Ramen nagomi

abdul_bino OP t1_jefeawp wrote

We actually both really like this place we wanted to go. Is it usually busy on weekends?

islamcardoors t1_jefga9z wrote

I would recommend making a reservation if possible if it is a weekend day but during the week should be fine. I'm pretty sure they have a seating app they use to show wait times.

bastard_child_botbot t1_jegrfcw wrote

Mmmmmmm bao buns. Screw the ramen. Just give me this buns. But that’s New Brunswick.

sbal0909 t1_jeeyfmh wrote

Kpot Korean bbq or Rai Rai ramen

Glittering-Rock t1_jefc8ec wrote

Love that you’re planning for your date! Hope it goes well 😊

kktyp t1_jef1s6d wrote

The best activity to do here is leave tbh. Just grab some food and head to New Brunswick or Highland Park.

abdul_bino OP t1_jef21e4 wrote

Is there a lot more to do in New Brunswick then East Brunswick

kktyp t1_jef2bus wrote

Definitely. Between restaurants, bars, and events, you can’t go wrong.

rjr017 t1_jef88w4 wrote

East Brunswick itself has restaurants and stuff but not really any nice walkable date areas, things are spread out…if you wanted to do like movies or bowling there they have those things. But New Brunswick has an actual downtown with lots of good bars and restaurants, outdoor seating areas, they also have a comedy club, some places may have live music…George st area is good for dates I think. Highland Park would be pretty good too, but they have less places to choose from than NB.

friendfromjersey t1_jef4u5s wrote

Portuguese Fisherman in South River was my go to place when I lived in the area. Haven’t been in years but it was a great place to bring a date.

Hand_Sanitizer3000 t1_jef6r8r wrote

Portuguese fisherman >>> ria mar when it comes to food

Mrr_NiceGuy t1_jefp46f wrote

I like both places but you can’t beat Ria Mar’s sangria

Hand_Sanitizer3000 t1_jefriv9 wrote

I agree, thats how they get you lol i like their private event food better for some reason

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jeerknh wrote

Gusto Grill on 18 isn't a terrible date spot. Not much else to do in EB other than bars and restaurants though. New Brunswick has better options like Destination Dogs and Batch Bin Barrel.

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jeex9wb wrote

Gusto closed

−2

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jeezn8y wrote

No they didn't, where'd you hear that?

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jef1zow wrote

I went to eat dinner there a month ago, that’s the old stuff yer face right?

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jef4mgv wrote

Yeah, and they're still posting on IG as of 4 hours ago lol. Yesterday they posted about hiring.

https://www.instagram.com/gustogrilleb/

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jef7b1b wrote

Hmm, interesting. Guess they’re still open.

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jef8xbu wrote

No shit. Try giving yourself 10 seconds to look before just stating something like it's a fact.

−3

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jef9ipo wrote

Shut the fuck up. I was wrong. I went there they were closed.

−1

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jefa8t0 wrote

So you went once when they were closed, and now they're permanently closed? Fucking idiot. Like I said, if you're going to say something with so much certainty, you could save yourself from looking like an idiot by taking literally 10 seconds to look. Something tells me you're more used to looking like an idiot though.

−5

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jefaji0 wrote

I went there at 4-5p on a sat and they were closed, parking lot all fucked up. I admitted I was wrong and your insulting me? Is this what you do to make you feel good about yourself?

Unusual-Okra9251 t1_jefaszy wrote

It's a slow Friday. You have a point though, their parking lot really is a fucking disaster.

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jefb7mq wrote

We clearly live within 15 minutes of each other, could be neighbors…will never know. You’re why people have a negative opinion of NJ.

11goodair t1_jef8opo wrote

Fisherman/Campozinho/Ria Mar in South River. Good Portuguese food, nice atmosphere.

If you want a smaller meal, Rai Rai is pretty good for ramen, China Poblana has good Mexican food, Jersey Shore BBQ is good for BBQ. Those 3 aren't really for dates, unless you really enjoy that type of food.

silentsnip94 t1_jefg0iv wrote

Dunno what vibe you're going for, but a nice walk in Johnson Park or Donaldson Park in Highland Park pre-dinner and then drive over to Destination Dogs in New Brunswick. I always like a good icebreaker in a first/second date by a little 'messy' eating (just don't eat like a slob!). There's always Ramen Nagomi if you like a good ramen. In New Brunswick, you'll have a nice selection of post-dinner drinks if it should strike you.

abdul_bino OP t1_jefgiv8 wrote

Oooh I do love some walks but I think it’s going raining tomorrow around the area. But definitely will try those parks for sure thanks

noturbuddyguy101 t1_jefhn0k wrote

Bicentennial Park in East Brunswick is a nice spot to walk around and explore!

United-Stomach1317 t1_jefoa68 wrote

Take shrooms or acid and then go to the movies watch something visually stimulating then walk in the park for the night

Dsxm41780 t1_jefs89m wrote

Gusto Grill is a nice spot bc they have good drinks and a variety of food depending on your level of hunger and your diet.

Just in Old Bridge is a nice experience too, though it is located behind a gas station which could give an odd impression.

You won’t be fat from New Brunswick which has a nice variety of restaurants. If you like Ethiopian food, Dashen is a solid spot. You can walk up and down George Street and there are some bars and other restaurants that you can check out.

ThrowinSm0ke t1_jeexj7x wrote

New Brunswick is probably a better place. Lots of restaurants and bars, all walkable. There is also a comedy club on Church Street, Stress Factory.

solidblu t1_jef76fk wrote

I see people saying New Brunswick over East Brunswick, but it also depends how n the crowed you are looking for. East Brunswick is more professional and older crowd mixed in, New Brunswick you will get a professional and younger crowd mixed in.

Fresco (Steak and Seafood) and Rice Factory (Thai) are good restaurants at the edge of East Brunswick.

In New Brunswick you will want to be around George St for example he non-college crowd, Easton Ave is more college crowd focused.

In East Brunswick it will be all paid for things like a bar or a park that closes at sundown. In New Brunswick you can walk around campus like Voorhees mall and Old Queens (next to each other and close to both Easton ave and George st. There is Stress Factory (comedy club) but that needs tickets in advance and has a two item per person requirement. There is also an escape room too.

Hope this helps, good luck on your date, if you give more info on what you are looking for in activities afterwards people will speak up more.

hkoppell t1_jefjs28 wrote

Frescos for dinner 🤤

KookyCarpet t1_jefqs8t wrote

You're so brave- traveling all the way to East Brunswick and all. A little outside of your wheelhouse, isn't it? Hope you get lucky! Best, Kooky C

abdul_bino OP t1_jefrdyl wrote

Oh yeah I actually from Columbus and she from Liden so we decide to meet in the Middle East Brunswick was the closest

JealousGroup2675 t1_jefmi23 wrote

Kpot on 18 it’s in the plaza with shoprite or even aroogas on 18 south in East Brunswick

nakedbeans t1_jefrj3u wrote

Salt is New Brunswick is our fave date spot. Best oysters I’ve ever had

Acrobatic_Drawing_38 t1_jefs4od wrote

🤮🤮🤮 What are you looking to spend? If the sky is the limit I would venture to Cafe Luna $$$$on route 9 10 minutes from mall. There is also Cucina Nuevo. $$$close by really good and BYOB. Pine Tavern has been my go to recently more moderately priced good quality Food and drinks. I would make a reservation and try to make it early. Raman Nagami is a great place I like the burnt Onion. off the charts still trying to figure out how they make those eggs. Very crowded small place. Old Man Rafferties was a pleasant surprise the other night the Burgers were good and beer was great. Good luck.

I_Reddit21 t1_jeg9r4r wrote

I’m not going on a date, but I’d love to check out the recommended restaurants. Foodie @ heart.

the-camster t1_jegalkg wrote

The Frog and the Peach. It's in New Brunswick.

JimmyTurnpike t1_jegjme7 wrote

The Denny's on 18 has been there for years. Solid Option.

bastard_child_botbot t1_jegrml3 wrote

I always saw. What age group and what’s is your price range. Casual or fine dining. So many places in the area. But I saw earlier the Ramen. Super casual and fun.

unclebonesy t1_jegw94s wrote

Fresca’s in milltown . Fine dining

ruckh t1_jegwqia wrote

East Hana sushi or Mancini pizza

Lanky-Clock89 t1_jefs35a wrote

If you’re up for a short drive I would go to Princeton, they have some great bars/restaurants you can bounce around. Agricola is my personal favorite. Closer to east brunswick is Salt Creek Grill that’s a nice date spot too but nothing else around.

mtol115 t1_jeh0c3i wrote

Gusto Grill and Aroogas. Edison Diner is really good too. There used to be this really good Italian place called the tomato factory but it’s been closed for years

jerseyborn733 t1_jefdijn wrote

Nothing East Brunswick sucks lol

−2