Submitted by Lemax-ionaire t3_z1wcfm in newjersey

I’ve been to Costco, Staples, Office Max, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, TJ Maxx and Home Goods. Where is the best place and not insanely expensive place to buy a home office desk that’s either fully assembled or can easily be assembled?

I don’t like wayfair because half of their quality is garbage and it’s often very difficult to put together. Staples imo has the best quality without being crazy expensive but they’re out of stock on most desks and also charge $200 or so for assembly.

Any help would be appreciated! I can do online if it comes with assembly or inexpensive ($125 or less) assembly.

Edit: Don’t know why I didn’t include that I went to Ashley, My Bobs and Raymore & Flannigan too. My last delivery from Bob’s was awful (they literally tossed my dresser out of the truck and let it fall without even trying to catch it).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HolyShonks t1_ixd68vg wrote

I got mine off of Facebook marketplace. Lots of new or lightly used pre-assembled furniture. It was difficult to transport even with an SUV though.

Lemax-ionaire OP t1_ixd724h wrote

Good call, yeah, I have a big SUV but I can see that any large desk would be an issue to bring home myself. Medium or smaller though maybe!

afterglow88 t1_ixd7kp3 wrote

Sometimes renting a uhaul for $20 to pick up a free or cheap used desk is worth it. Check out your local buy nothing FB group.

Csl223223223223 t1_ixf08lz wrote

The cheapest uhaul is nearly $100 imho once you factor in some mileage fees and the bare minimum misc fees (even waiving insurances)

Lazuli9 t1_ixkncsr wrote

It's not always that high, when I was picking up futons, I paid $52 total with 24 miles of driving last month. And $37 in April with 9 miles of driving.

ser_pez t1_ixf4tbx wrote

I’ve had decent luck with getting people to deliver FB Marketplace furniture purchases, sometimes for an extra $20 and sometimes for free! Definitely worth asking because I drive a Honda Civic and if someone has a truck or van and can get it loaded up, I can definitely help unload.

Xero246 t1_ixd4w4q wrote

Maybe hire a handyman to assemble for $125 and choose the desk you actually want? Good luck.

Lemax-ionaire OP t1_ixd9oid wrote

Yep, thats one of the options I’m exploring.

Jake_FromStateFarm27 t1_ixevlwx wrote

Not sure where you live in NJ but if you're out towards Warren County feel free to dm I have the perfect handy man for you! Reliable, friendly/respectful, fair prices, and of course great service!

stickman07738 t1_ixd54kl wrote

Have you tried IKEA.

ice_cold_fahrenheit t1_ixd61p6 wrote

OP asked about buying a fully assembled new desk.

Summoarpleaz t1_ixe0r7h wrote

Or easy to assemble. IKEA is imo generally pretty easy. It’s just a meme that it’s difficult

Lemax-ionaire OP t1_ixd9hsp wrote

I was under the impression everything from there needs to be built. I haven’t for that reason but I probably should just to see the options. Thanks for the reminder.

theorigamist t1_ixdksja wrote

Can also check the IKEA “used” section near the end, any desks should all be preassembled.

ferocious_coug t1_ixdxpun wrote

If there's one piece of advice I can give, it's to never ever buy second hand IKEA furniture.

hip_drive t1_ixebvkq wrote

It’s not secondhand—I think what the person you replied to is describing is Ikea’s as-is section, which is for damaged or returned stuff. Most of it is just damaged furniture off the display floor. I got my couch for 50% from the as-is section and it’s still going strong 5 years later!

MY_FUCKING_USERNAME t1_ixgs5wt wrote

I purchased as-is coffee tables and shelving...all work fine in my home workshop and I paid about 25% of retail.

BanditoSlim t1_ixe8u8h wrote

Got my desk from IKEA. Roughly 2.5x5', can't remember the exact price but couldn't have been more than $200-250. The assembly required was just screwing the legs into the tabletop, super easy process. Don't sleep on IKEA!

StrategicBlenderBall t1_ixda9jb wrote

Try a furniture store like Raymour and Flanigan maybe?

nicehuman16 t1_ixfpxql wrote

I had a good experience buying a mattress set from Raymour and Flanigan. I would buy from them again.

StrategicBlenderBall t1_ixfv3j6 wrote

I’ve bought a lot of furniture from them, it’s always a great experience. Can’t say the same for La-Z-Boy. Bob’s Discount has also been great, believe it or not!

scrubjays t1_ixdiic2 wrote

CORT used furniture showroom on rt 17, everything is assembled, and delivery is a flat rate. If you want classy vintage stuff at pretty good prices, Brownstone Liquidators has a warehouse near there too. I have bought stuff from both, it has always been excellent.

New_Stats t1_ixdath1 wrote

Go to a used store and get a solid wood desk in decent condition for $25. Then pay to get it delivered because you saved so much money and that thing is gonna be heavy. Then clean it for hours because it will be dirty

Mrs_Lemons t1_ixeigv5 wrote

Yep, second this. You can find some really solid wood desks that will last years in used furniture stores.

imnotlibel t1_ixe1q9j wrote

Got my desk from Staples for $100. Very easy to assemble. I am in Sussex County area if you’d like me to check if it’s in stock

lost_in_life_34 t1_ixd8t10 wrote

i bought one from amazon a few weeks ago. easy to assemble too

Lemax-ionaire OP t1_ixd9tan wrote

Can you recommend which one you got?

underscorebot t1_ixdav6j wrote

Due to a bug in new reddit, URLs with underscores or tildes are being escaped in an inconsistent manner, breaking old reddit and third-party mobile apps. Please try the following URL(s) instead:

^This ^is ^a ^bot. ^Invoke ^with: ^/u/underscorebot. ^Questions? ^Comments? ^/r/underscorebot ^Thank ^you. ^Moderators: ^this ^is ^an ^opt-in ^bot. ^Please ^add ^it ^to ^the ^approved ^submitters ^on ^subreddits ^you ^wish ^to ^have ^it ^scan. ^Note: ^user-supplied ^links ^that ^may ^appear ^in ^this ^comment ^do ^not ^imply ^endorsement.

−2

ansky201 t1_ixdfrvr wrote

You can buy a desk from anywhere and hire someone from Taskrabbit to do the assembly.

AlinNJ t1_ixe6v36 wrote

There is a store in Green Brook on Rt 22 that sells nice quality desks, assembled and delivered if you like.

Goldfish2022 t1_ixf3vmj wrote

Try your town's Freecycle group on FB or some sellers market there. A lol of folks give away desks.

A_Downboat_Is_A_Sub t1_ixd9fix wrote

Staples's Eureka Ergonomic "gaming" desks are pretty easy to assemble, and they charge $100 for them to do it if you don't want to.

I've had one for a year and it was a huge improvement over my old desk. Still sturdy and no warping.

alissa2579 t1_ixdba2k wrote

I just bought one from Ashley furniture- waiting on delivery

TheOkGazoo t1_ixde845 wrote

>they literally tossed my dresser out of the truck and let it fall without even trying to catch it

Well, yeah. Why should someone ruin their back?

Lemax-ionaire OP t1_ixdew5d wrote

Haha I actually get that, it was an obvious push out of the truck without anyone standing to lower or catch it, so of course it fell haha.

jerseysbestdancers t1_ixdef4o wrote

You could go to an unfinished furniture place like Derbyshire on Rt 23. They often will finish them for you at an additional price and it will be solid wood.

Rainseamusic t1_ixdgyqw wrote

I would totally sell you my desk 😭 I just bought a new one from ikea but I’m dying to get rid of my old L desk but it would have to be assembled so I’m sorry :( but you could pay through ikea or Amazon to have the desks assembled! I have seen those options!

therealpetejm t1_ixdkn8q wrote

My last desk before going with uplift Desks was an Ikea countertop with legs on one side and a multi drawer cabinet on the other.

They have a service to assemble using a task rabbit app, but it's a bit expensive. Maybe try FB Marketplace as well

HeadCatMomCat t1_ixdqq8d wrote

Not only TaskRabbit but Thumbtack offers people who will assemble. I bought a chair from Wayfair - same model was all over and they were the cheapest. Hired someone for $55 to a assemble through Thumbtack.

Telnet_to_the_Mind t1_ixdtldd wrote

Ikea mate. You're in north jersey so you should be near Elizabeth. And Ikea makes it's brand on easy to put together stuff... I have a desk here that took me 20 mins to put together.

inf4mation t1_ixdtn7e wrote

buy 2 ikea alex drawers (or legs instead), buy an ikea karlby countertop; place countertop on top of drawers or legs, and you have a new desk.

Check r/battlestations for reference pics as its easy, simple, looks minimal and gets the job done.

ferocious_coug t1_ixdxku6 wrote

Go vintage. Look on FB Marketplace or IG vintage furniture dealers.

CopyDan t1_ixdxmgt wrote

Buy the desk and go on TaskRabbit to get someone to assemble it for you.

jd732 t1_ixdyj4h wrote

Your local Habitat Restore will have plenty of desks to choose from

Ozznato t1_ixdznkw wrote

R&F always did a swell job assembling my furniture

Summoarpleaz t1_ixe0gmg wrote

For me, depending on what you’re looking for in a desk, the easiest option is ikea or online since you don’t have to worry about getting it to your home. If going online, I’d also check Etsy, target (which has a surprisingly good inexpensive home section). It’s a bit of a hit or miss sometimes with Etsy, but I haven’t been disappointed yet. The reviews can tell you how easy it is to assemble on that end I haven’t been upset either).

The other option is something “high end” like crate and barrel or higher and they often come with free assembly since it’s so expensive.

cmpalm t1_ixe3eon wrote

Facebook market place or Craigslist

Hot_Dragonfly_4406 t1_ixe8430 wrote

IKEA. Buy two file cabinets & a kitchen countertop to put on top of them.

KayakHank t1_ixedxn5 wrote

If you're close to a restore/habitat for humanity they may have some nice cheap ones.

I got an office depot standup desk. It was about 8 bolts to put together

robertfcowper t1_ixekrj9 wrote

We have used Tasker to hire somebody to put furniture together. It was clutch when my wife was pregnant and we had crib/dresser/etc and had no interest in doing it ourselves.

Edit: I think it got my apps confused. Task Rabbit not Tasker

rml24601 t1_ixenk9z wrote

Bought mine from Crate & Barrel - fully-assembled. Granted, I purchased a child’s desk but it is surprisingly large & it works for me. YMMV.

vakr001 t1_ixenrv8 wrote

Check Raymour and Flanigan

Vulg4r t1_ixeod2c wrote

> easily be assembled

How easily are we talking, and what size are you looking for. my current desk is a butcher block I got from home depot similar to this., and just mounted it this standing desk frame

Assembly was easy and took about an hour, and I am 100% confident the butcher block will last for life and about 85% sure the frame will last for life. The only challenge I had with assembly was I did it in a small space which slowed it down a bit.

Also fuck bobs furniture. Garbage tier.

tex8222 t1_ixexmkf wrote

Look for used office furniture stores, or estate sales in 55+ communities. Lots of good deals to be had, not juat desks.

wbradford00 t1_ixeyfe7 wrote

Where are you located roughly? My job is moving and may have a desk or two available some time next week.

valman61 t1_ixf97ps wrote

I went to glenwood office furniture in hillside. I bought corporate office grade stuff but they have everything. They deliver and install for you. Outside of the long Backorders due to pandemic the experience was excellent and I enjoy being asked on teams calls if I’m in the office when I am home

pa07950 t1_ixfg359 wrote

I found a fully assembled desk but had to take it apart to fit into my friend's pickup truck. I saw a note on Facebook about a company shutting down and giving away furniture. We both picked up high quality cubicles and removed the sidewalls.

BubblesUp t1_ixfhi6s wrote

I found a desk on Wayfair then did a reverse image search to find the same thing on another site for a large discount. May be worth a try.

surfinboyz1123 t1_ixflqi8 wrote

PTI office Furniture. Prices are awesome..great customer service and tons of options

interactivecdrom t1_ixfmhvt wrote

i’m trying to get rid of a huge ikea desk. in orange NJ

Linenoise77 t1_ixfn01f wrote

Your asking for quality, but naming places that are anything but.

Ikea furniture is very easy to assemble, inexpensive, looks ok, and you will get a few years out of it provided you don't move it around.

Staples stuff they sell in the store, particularly office furniture, for the most part is garbage. Its meant to be a desk you spend a little bit of time at, not work full time at. There is a reason real office furniture is expensive. That goes for your chair too.

None of the stuff is rocket science to build, its all insert tab A into slot B. If you have a screw driver and a hammer you are good to go.

A REAL desk that isn't going to come apart on you in a few years and shows up put together is going to be north of 4 figures. That is why they are so expensive, the shipping and delivery of it.

The dude who builds your staples furniture is probably making 15 bucks an hour and cranking out a half dozen pieces an hour.

nicehuman16 t1_ixfpsqn wrote

I don't know where you live but we have gotten nice furniture at the Restore Store in Randolph, but they are all over the place.

Revolutionary_Fee282 t1_ixfwzxt wrote

When Covid happened I ended up working from home so much I went desk shopping and couldn't find anything I liked for reasonable price, so I just made my own. Very simple, no drawers, but I didn't need much more than a basic desk. Bought a precut and finished 60" piece of butcher block countertop at Home Depot, a set of legs on amazon and a can of stain. Cost me about $250 and 2 hours of time (Most of which was letting the stain dry). Ended up with a simple desk but far more sturdy than anything I could buy for much more money.

ChrisPBacon4u2 t1_ixfzz1d wrote

Try a used office furniture store. A bunch can be found on a Google search and they have great prices. I used one in Ridgefield Park, NJ

riche_god t1_iy32xbf wrote

Tbh most desks that you buy from anywhere will have some type of level of difficulty. Also, a lot of the places you name has a paid service to put it together for you.

Jimmytowne t1_ixdr9zr wrote

Depending on how north you live, I’ll assemble it for $100 as long as it’s already in the room you want it assembled

Jfield24 t1_ixgcgoc wrote

You could just put it together yourself.