Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

StuperDan t1_ismwa7m wrote

Who gets to decide who is allowed to procreate? You? People who agree with your worldview? What happens if you don't agree with the deciders?

You can't legislate biological functions and imperatives. You might as well make a law requiring rain only on Wednesdays. No human is capable of playing god this way.

SideburnSundays t1_isn9ha6 wrote

It has nothing to do with world views. It has to do with a) being mentally stable, and b) providing basic care, neither of which are the slightest bit subjective.

−3

StuperDan t1_isn9wj3 wrote

How do you propose this parental fitness standard you imagine be administered and enforced? And again, who decides the standards?

EnvironmentalSound25 t1_ispl61k wrote

Basics. Lack of abuse. Stable housing, food, etc.

Quilva t1_isrv6uv wrote

Plenty of people only turn abusive after the stress of raising a child

SideburnSundays t1_isnbd5s wrote

Psychiatry and psychology already have objective standards based on the scientific method. That’s my entire point that you’re failing to grasp.

−4

StuperDan t1_isne2kb wrote

I don't think many practicing psychiatrists or psychologists would agree with your sophomoric assertion.

DearMrsLeading t1_isq67qz wrote

I had a psychologist in high school that thought being gay should be considered a mental illness still. Every group has shitty people that don’t follow the standards.

EnvironmentalSound25 t1_isn467v wrote

We do already remove children from unstable care providers. Proposing that we screen all parents before something awful happens isn’t that far of a reach.

−6

Isord t1_isn67zt wrote

It's a pretty fucking far reach since you'll need to engage in forced abortions, sterilizations, etc.

EnvironmentalSound25 t1_isn6dpx wrote

That’s more than a reach, that’s a fucking leap. I’m talking about protecting kids, not sterilizing people.

−8

Isord t1_isn6fwt wrote

Any plan to control who has children and who does not inherently requires those.

EnvironmentalSound25 t1_isn6tgb wrote

Sorry, I guess I’m not being clear — I’m not referring to controlling who is allowed to procreate at all. My point is that many societies already do have some systems in place to control the conditions under which children may be raised. No forced abortion nor sterilization required.

Isord t1_isn7aeh wrote

Ah, the top of the chain was talking about controlling reproduction so I assumed that is what you meant.