Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

krumpet_ t1_itprusw wrote

Sucks to suck....

This officer gave a rioter a tip so he could avoid getting caught.. then was upset that the rioter told the FBI they were buddies...

Of course you are buddies. There are people I have met physically and I wouldn't tell them how to avoid being arrested by the FBI. The heck?

perverse_panda t1_itpxtfz wrote

This is also the same cop who found the pipe bomb near the Capitol that day. And it turns out he's buddies with one of the rioters.

Maybe that's a coincidence, maybe not...

amandapanda1980 t1_itqp3vs wrote

Totally forgot about the pipe bombs. They never figured out who that was, did they?

Chippopotanuse t1_itrha9p wrote

Well when the guy who found the bombs is sympathetic to the cause…how the hell are they gonna find the suspect?

R_V_Z t1_itrohmk wrote

Hell, we still don't know who ripped out the panic buttons from congressional desks.

Miguel-odon t1_ittrapb wrote

Or why Mike Pence's security badge got disabled temporarily during the riots.

itsajaguar t1_itq6pq8 wrote

He also later offered him a tour of the capitol. He knew the guy was a criminal, told him to delete evidence to avoid prosecution, and stayed in contact with him.

Ksh_667 t1_itr821k wrote

>He also later offered him a tour of the capitol.

Glad that never happened....

canada432 t1_itqd92v wrote

It's a great source of amusement to me to see them, over and over again, be completely willing to throw anybody under the bus to save their own skin while simultaneously believing everyone else just like them is trustworthy and will stay loyal. Every one of them would give up anybody they know, even their own family, for a day off their potential sentences. Yet they all think that every single other person is stupid enough to keep their mouth shut and take the bullet for them. Every one thinks that all the others are suckers, and that they're the smart one. A bunch of idiots all thinking the others are the idiots and all just continuously conning each other.

littlebubulle t1_itqx8p5 wrote

Often it's because they have enablers who actually let them screw them over while still covering for them.

So they keep thinking everyone else is a sucker. Until they're stuck in a room with only defectors around and no enablers.

On the other hand, the is this story about a professional poker player teaching a poker class.

When she asked her students can you deduce when a player bids high on a hand. Most of the students answered that the player must have a good hand.

The pro player was baffled by this answer and asked them what they would do if the had a good hand. The same students answered to bid low or check so the other players won't fold.

Than she asked why they expected other players to do the opposite of what they would do.

krumpet_ t1_itrkeaz wrote

Well put my friend. A sign of great intelligence is assuming you are the dumbest in the room and try to learn from everybody else. Really trying to listen and take it all in trying to do the best you can with all the information in front of you. Their great leader had literally the smartest people in the world to accomplish anything and ended up advising everyone to drink bleach. Granted he did coordinate the entire mob to to siege the capitol, but even that he failed at. And turns out his great buddy Putin also sucks at war. There are multiple wagons circling Trump right now. The wise choice for this guy would have been to retire to a remote place to never be heard from again. But he had to be President and wave 35,890...red flags that his wealth was due to defaulting on debt, committing fraud, perjury, and most likely money laundering. Now he is leaning heavily into treason and espionage. All the while leaving an infinite paper trail of everything. I bet if the FBI digs up the spot where he and his cronies were gathered on his golf course, they'd find some interesting things. Those idiots didn't even bring golf clubs. Trump is the quintessential Stupid Asshole.

Squirrel_Inner t1_itt4lku wrote

no, no, he’s sorry and oh so embarrassed, really. I think he clearly learned his lesson.

It’s not like our justice system will be looked at as pathetically corrupt if he just walks away without real consequences…

NegScenePts t1_itps9uw wrote

Yet another person who only regrets getting caught.

pegothejerk t1_itpxduj wrote

Likely doesn't even regret his stance on all of it. Just hates the negative attention he "suffered", aka consequences.

nexusjuan t1_itrapn1 wrote

"I never wanted this to happen" Means, I do not regret my actions only the consequences.

dinosauroil t1_itq280p wrote

He just regrets that you're still allowed to complain about police directly helping nazis.

drakejones99 OP t1_itpkh3v wrote

WASHINGTON — A former police officer charged with obstruction for telling a Jan. 6 rioter to remove a Facebook post about being in the U.S. Capitol testified Monday that he was "embarrassed" about having spoken to the man, who he claims duped him about his level of involvement in the attack.

Michael Riley, who sent messages to Jan. 6 rioter Jacob Hiles shortly after the insurrection, when he was a U.S. Capitol Police officer, told jurors Monday that he believed Hiles when Hiles posted that he was forced into the Capitol by the pro-Trump mob.

Riley testified that he regrets having reached out to Hiles “every day” and that it has been “the worst year" of his life. Riley was charged in October 2021 and resigned from the department that month; the details of his departure and his current status have been concealed from jurors.

Under a plea deal with the government, Hiles pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and was sentenced to two years of probation, along with 60 hours of community service and $500 restitution.

Riley, who fishes in his free time, befriended Hiles, a boat captain with a social media following, shortly before the Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021. After another member of the Chesapeake fishing community tagged Riley in Hiles' Facebook post about entering the Capitol, Riley sent a private message telling Hiles to take down the part of his post in which he admitted going into the building. "Just looking out!" Riley wrote in a message in which he said he shared Hiles’ political views. Hiles told the FBI about Riley's messages after he was arrested.

“I was embarrassed, because I had reached out to him in the first place and allowed myself to get in a position like this,” Riley said in court Monday. “I never intended for any of this to happen.”

He later deleted his Facebook messages with Hiles because he was extremely upset, he testified, insisting he wasn't trying to obstruct any investigation.

“I was mad at myself, and I was mad at Jake,” Riley testified. “I was very upset that he was telling the FBI that we were buddies."

The messages might suggest Riley was trying to help Hiles avoid charges, but Riley insisted to the jury that he thought Hiles would be charged if he went into the building regardless of his messages.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Anne P. McNamara asked Riley whether he had wanted Hiles charged.

“If he went into the building, yes,” Riley said. “It’s not that I didn’t want him to be charged,” Riley said — he just didn’t associate him with someone who had broken into the building or injured officers.

McNamara pointed out that Riley could have posted his message to Hiles publicly.

“Just because,” Riley replied.

Prosecutors argue that Riley wasn't duped by Hiles and that he crafted the narrative to avoid a conviction. On cross-examination, Riley was pressed about whether Hiles misled him.

"Has every single defendant told you the truth when you spoke to them?" McNamara asked.

"No," Riley replied.

McNamara also highlighted messages that showed Riley referred to Hiles as a "moron" and a "r-----" and said he was "not a bright guy."

"This was the moron you were duped by?" McNamara asked.

"It is," Riley responded.

Riley testified that he believed he has helped arrest more than 1,000 demonstrators over his 25-year career as a Capitol Police officer but that he had never been called to testify before a grand jury and that he couldn't have thought a grand jury would be interested in Hiles' conduct.

He also talked up other aspects of his career, including how he helped sweep the Capitol for bombs as part of his role in the K-9 unit and helped respond to an officer who sustained a head injury on Jan. 6.

Riley testified that he was upset by what happened on Jan. 6, and messages showed that he wanted those who initially breached the Capitol, destroyed property and injured officers to be charged for those crimes.

“It was upsetting to me. I was upset to see our country going through this. We had a lot of officers who were hurt," Riley said.

...More at source via link.

Hooterdear t1_itpwv3r wrote

"This was the moron you were duped by?" McNamara asked.

"It is," Riley responded.

SeeThroughBanana t1_itr163m wrote

I mean it makes sense. It is easy to be duped if you are severely underestimating the other party involved no matter how stupid in hindsight it may seem.

0gv0n t1_itrazzh wrote

>he has helped arrest more than 1,000 demonstrators over his 25-year career as a Capitol Police officer

What do you want to bet those were all "hippie liberals."

zeeper25 t1_itprvgf wrote

P.O.S. lock them all up, including Capitol Police who enabled or covered up for the traitors.

[deleted] t1_itqjryn wrote

[deleted]

DrinkingBleachForFun t1_itskbg7 wrote

> I’m so embarrassed, I have so much egg on my face right now. They’re never gonna let me live this one down. 😖

— Guy Fawkes.

TheValgus t1_itq4gje wrote

Good.

You are an embarrassment.

Stop being one.

edgeplayer t1_itr1ohc wrote

The insurrectionists needed a few, maybe 12 to 20, Capitol Police to allow them to cross onto the lawn. They knew before the day that these Police were with them and would let them through. Here we see one guy chumming up to a Capitol Police Officer in order to add one more to the list of "turned" Capitol Officers. We can see this being realized in the video of the event. Riley was groomed by Hiles to gain access without creating a scene too early. After the event Hiles has sought to keep Riley implicated to save his own skin. No wonder Riley is embarrassed.

Ksh_667 t1_itr8wm5 wrote

Was just coming here to say about the video. I'm in uk & I've never been more shocked than when I saw the behaviour of some of the Capitol police that day. Letting ppl thru, encouraging them, beckoning them over tbe barricades or just outright walking away leaving a clear path of ingress. That made my blood run cold & made me really fear for my American pals.

santz007 t1_itpx9hx wrote

Embarrassed.... Only because he was caught, lock him up

PPQue6 t1_itqu6sg wrote

No no, he's embarrassed because he got caught. There's a big difference there.

Outrageous_Garlic306 t1_itq53go wrote

Embarrassed? “Is my face ever red!” More like, “Are my underpants ever brown!”

Garbear681 t1_itre70y wrote

Fk you and everyone else involved in making this st happen. You deserve no sympathy.

CritaCorn t1_itrzmhb wrote

He embarrassed he got caught, that’s all

DaveMeese t1_itrmgor wrote

May that embarrassment turn into constant humiliation for the rest of your life. You conspired with a traitor. Enjoy that fact.

Art-Zuron t1_its767l wrote

Temporarily embarrassed dumbass. Embarrassed he got caught that is.

BabyNapsDaddyGames t1_ittgjjd wrote

Embarrassed by the act of helping a traitor or because you got caught?

gizmozed t1_itue5gs wrote

A slap on the wrist for one of the undoubtedly many Capital Police who aided and abetted the Jan 6 rioters.

As far as I can tell, there have been few consequences so don't be surprised when it happens again.

MostlyPseudonymous t1_itpt99j wrote

"Riley, who fishes in his free time..."

Most spurious data point ever.

−22

Nozomi_Shinkansen t1_itpvsof wrote

No. It establishes his reason for having a previous connection to Hiles.

NattyBumppo t1_itpys0t wrote

It's only "spurious" if you don't read the rest of the sentence lol

billpalto t1_itq3ph3 wrote

Did Riley know that there was a coordinated conspiracy that tried to overthrow the election and install a dictator?

Did he agree with that sentiment?

Or was he duped into thinking it was just another demonstration? America has always been pretty tolerant of demonstrations.

−33

zzyul t1_itq9myt wrote

Riley testified that he has helped to arrest over 1K demonstrators over his 25 year career as a Capitol police officer. Funny that he has a long history of arresting demonstrators but then decided to help a J6 demonstrator avoid being arrested. Seems like he only arrested people if he didn’t agree with what they were demonstrating against instead of enforcing the law equally.

TheSocialDynamicist t1_itr6adh wrote

Well since we could all see the violent coup attempt happening live, and it was the primary topic of discussion for the next few months I doubt anyone is innocent is still pretending it was just a demonstration.