Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

countrygrmmrhotshit t1_ixfbexl wrote

What does it say about the political party who wants less voting?

Flatline2962 t1_ixfc02f wrote

Let's go to one of the fathers of modern conservatism, Paul Weyrich, co-founder of the Heritage Foundation:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw

"As a matter of fact our leverage in the elections goes up as the voting populace goes down"

Seems pretty straight forward. That was 42 years ago and nothing has changed since.

countrygrmmrhotshit t1_ixfd54j wrote

Pretty soon they’ll say “the constitution originally allowed only white, landowning males to vote and we believe in the founding fathers vision”

Toaster_bath13 t1_ixfebwa wrote

Only landowners can vote.

Only white men can own land.

Voting not racist now right? /s

CasperWithAJ t1_ixicoow wrote

I’d bet anything that KKKlarance Thomas would vote for this

pegothejerk t1_ixfidh6 wrote

Fun fact - there were women who could vote before women's suffrage and the 19th was passed, but they were granted that ability from inheriting large estates and sociatal standings, and those women almost never wanted women in general to get the right to vote because they feared changing society would cause them to lose their standing in society and their comforts at home. Women like that were also largely responsible for fighting against women's suffrage, just as there are minorities and women today voting with conservatives against their own interests.

Deyln t1_ixfn0ep wrote

And estate and inheritance is also one of the larger factors for the definition and adoption of the concept of gender.

GozerDGozerian t1_ixgsp2k wrote

Can you explain this a bit more?

−1

D00M_H4MM3R t1_ixhsp7d wrote

The words “inheritance” and “estate” are not used in that article. It is indeed quite lengthy, but has nothing to do with the point you made above.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_ixhloi9 wrote

I believe it also depended on the time and place. Like, Wyoming almost passed on becoming a state because Congress was against them having universal suffrage in their state constitution; they put it in anyways. New Jersey had women's suffrage based on the same criteria as men, needing to own X amount in cash or property, but that was taken away in 1807.

Chasman1965 t1_ixfzc1o wrote

The US Constitution never said such a thing. States determined the qualifications for voting. Amendments to the Constitution changed it so the states couldn't block people from voting because they were black, female or under 21.

sonoma4life t1_ixg7uq0 wrote

i've never met a conservative that doesn't have ideas on limiting voting.

DonnieJuniorsEmails t1_ixggwg2 wrote

and it all boils down to the same bullshit:

"They won't vote for my platform to hate and attack them, so they shouldn't be allowed to vote at all".

shank1093 t1_ixhz5ls wrote

Like trying to raise the voting age 🙄😡 And if they did, then its: You can enlist and fight/defend/support/die for your country (government), but you can't vote (or have a say) in how it's run. GTFO!

dybyj t1_ixi13w9 wrote

My friends describe me as a conservative democrat(?) even though I’m not a democrat… so hi?

Kramereng t1_ixjod6d wrote

Neoconservative, Bill Kristol, had somewhat similar thoughts, saying:

> "If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.

quangtran t1_ixgbciv wrote

After the midterms, conservatives are now saying out loud how much they hate the idea of more people voting, and that just because you have a right to vote doesn’t mean you deserve it.

Cfp0001-Iceman t1_ixh784o wrote

The Republican Party has gone full treason. They proved they don't give a shit about voting by staging a coup and not being remotely upset about it.

SsurebreC t1_ixflorn wrote

Here's the issue. Before when a party lost, they took a hard look at themselves and wondered where they went wrong to persuade the population and then adapted their views to be better in line with the population. This is while also trying to obviously sway their views to the original idea, otherwise the party will lose coherence over time and perhaps merge with the other party.

But what's been happening is... lack of acknowledgement of mistakes. Not that mistakes weren't made - they were - but the idea of making a mistake, i.e. making an error... is somehow a grave sin. That they're somehow mere mortals now instead of divinely anointed representatives who are incapable of making mistakes.

This makes sense too, since they tend to court the religious group and if you say the infallible God speaks through you then how are you able to make mistakes without undermining your entire message? Not only are mistakes not allowed but no change in policy is also allowed otherwise it, again, undermines the entire message. This is particularly true when that's a central message that you've been running for decades. A core component of your party are people who believe this for literally generations now. They support you not only in votes but fundraising as well. You cannot lose those people even though their numbers are dwindling due to age and growing irreligiosity of the subsequent generations.

So whether or not you believe it, you are required to never change. Since the population is leaving you behind and your views become outdated where a shrinking fridge of the population has your support, what can you do? Seems like you have only two options:

• bite the bullet and change, or
  • destroy entire voting blocks to make sure that your hardcore supporters vote and everyone else has a hard time

The problem is that the definition of conservatism is preservation of the status quo. There's no problem with this - a car requires both a gas and a brake pedal to function best. The problem is that Republicans have stopped being a brake. They slammed on the emergency brake and want to reverse. They froze the progress of the United States at a particular time - somewhere around 1950s (but with 2020s economics and affordability measures) - and want to go back to that time. That's not conservatism. After all, conservatives should slow down progress until enough of the population has adopted the new norms. Case in point: romantic love was a liberal idea that's widely adopted and even championed by conservatives. Same with interfaith and interracial marriage, not to mention divorce (ignore the very fridge but very loud mouth breathers). This is fine - this is conservatism. You rail against progress but when the tide turns, you adopt it. As a result, conservatives should - and I'd say must - adopt the new norms which includes not only abortion (which they mostly do with primarily the Evangelicals causing problems since even majority of Catholics approve of abortion) and they also should be adopting new norms like gay marriage as well. This is what conservatism is. You fight against liberals changing the status quo (since not all of it is good) but once it's become widely adopted (and abortion and gay marriage are now widely accepted) then they should change their stance.

What's holding them back? The Evangelicals that they've been courting for decades. Kissing up to the religious right is what's holding the party together.

This also explains why they're so ready to pounce to any other source of revenue, such as big business and even foreign interests. It's because members of the Happy Clappy can only make you so much money, particularly when the generations are literally dying off and the young mostly scoff at your ideas.

There is a way out but it'll be messy. There is a growing divide among the religious conservatives and that wedge is environmentalism. I.e. a growing number believe that God has given them stewardship over the Earth so they must protect it. This means splintering off, fighting big business, and adopting more liberal ideas on the fiscal front with large investments into new technologies. This should cause a rift wide enough to break the religious right in half which would allow the Republicans to change the platform to something people would actually vote for. At least that's my hope. I'm not holding my breath. I think there's a higher probability that we'll have an actual left-wing party in the US. Not Democrats since they're center-right but actual left-wing politicians. Whatever change we'll have, it'll be messy but it'll be quick. The failure of the Tea Party (and the current crumbling of the Trumpists back into the GOP) has clearly shown that the US favors only two main parties.

We'll see what happens but those who want fewer people to vote certainly stand against American core principles.

Durdens_Wrath t1_ixgxs19 wrote

2 things here.

1. Mr. Conservative, Barry Goldwater famously warned the GOP about getting into bed with the religious. And he was 100% right.

2. Evangelicals are basically Truth, Regret, and Mercy. If they admitted a mistake, their whole Great Journey comes falling apart.

ganymede_boy t1_ixfbg3q wrote

More people vote = Republicans lose

They know this.

code_archeologist t1_ixfly9k wrote

Crazy idea I know, but what if the Republicans were to start advocating for popular policies that helped everybody and that everybody liked... Instead of whatever it is that they are doing now.

angiosperms- t1_ixfuj7t wrote

They don't even have any policies right now. So literally any policy would be a start

northernpace t1_ixfz3l5 wrote

Sure they do, trickle down tax cuts to corpos.

Mfcarusio t1_ixgr4wr wrote

Considering som of the other stances, just be grateful they've not found a way to argue that corporations, having been granted some form of personhood, should also be allowed to vote.

Petey7 t1_ixhasag wrote

An idea I’ve seen in a couple pieces of fiction recently is corporations being given the ability to run for political office. Just imagine Coca-cola being the president of the US, the senate majority leader being Disney, and the speaker of the house being Amazon.

montex66 t1_ixgm1nz wrote

Republican policy now is tax cuts for the rich and voting against everything democrats are voting for. That's it for now but after January it will be to impeach Biden for something something or other.

Flatline2962 t1_ixfbpt0 wrote

The GOP: "We don't want you to vote, but if you have to, vote for us!"

detroitiseverybody t1_ixfssqm wrote

Also GOP: If we win the vote count was extremely accurate.

If Dems win ... total chaos, cheating, dead people voting, hiding R votes, and busted machines people!! Will not concede! We won!

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_ixhjvam wrote

That's the cognitive dissonance in their whole argument. Especially considering, that there are likely many local Rs that won, but noting was wrong with that election, despite them being on the same ballot.

Stav80 t1_ixfuii9 wrote

Edit: but if you can vote ..

irkli OP t1_ixf0alw wrote

Poor babies

"In their petition, the Republican committees argue that only 10 counties – “all of them Democratic-leaning” – plan to conduct early voting that day, “eviscerating the statutorily required uniformity among Georgia’s counties.”

nekochanwich t1_ixfcrwe wrote

> Allowing a lower court ruling that permits Saturday voting to stand creates “an unequal system, where some counties will vote on November 26 and others will not,” lawyers for the GOP committees wrote.

Who's stopping these other counties from voting on November 26th?

QwertySomething t1_ixfeaub wrote

No one.. aaaand...we can vote through the first week of December too. Saturday is a good day and Warnock did his homework to get people out. I'm in GA.. but I mailed my vote. It's all silly...he immediately sued the state right after the runoff was announced. Shenanigans always. Runoffs were even based on a racist practice to limit votes for a black candidate...

critically_damped t1_ixg9d0o wrote

No one is. You really gotta remember that they say wrong things on purpose.

foxbones t1_ixglnb8 wrote

Nothing. They live in areas where you can walk into the single voting place on election day and finish in 10 minutes.

Cities have way more people and tons of voting places were randomly closed so a lot of people vote early because lines can be extremely long on election day which is a day most people work.

It's as simple as early voting allows more people to vote, so Republicans want to get rid of it.

Heated13shot t1_ixh1ybw wrote

The lawsuit is clearly trying to see a "lowest common denominator" presadent too. There are more gop counties than dem. Once this case makes headway just axe early voting in all red areas to 10am-2pm on half the weekdays and bring the same damn suit.

Siollear t1_ixfca77 wrote

Cant the other counties just allow Saturday voting as well? How silly. Not our fault republican counties are run by utter morons.

Flatline2962 t1_ixfcibq wrote

They can but supposedly according to the GOP it's a cluster fuck trying to get ready for the runoff election and can't run early voting, because the GOP passed a law in 2021 that cuts the runoff lead time from 9 weeks down to 4.

Which creates precisely this kind of chaos and undermines the entire election to people only tangentially paying attention.

Ok-Letterhead-3276 t1_ixfe9tm wrote

If only they had years of lead time to prepare a plan for this exact scenario.

usrevenge t1_ixffppv wrote

If only covid wasn't a road map for easy to do mail in votes.

You should get your vote form in the mail. Check a few boxes for who you want. And put it back in your mailbox.

That is how voting should be. The only other step is you should be able to check online that it was accepted and look at what your vote counted toward.

Bunnies-and-Sunshine t1_ixghcnk wrote

Our state will notify you that they received your mail-in ballot via e-mail and again when your vote is counted. It amazes me that this isn't commonplace.

IceciroAvant t1_ixhvayp wrote

This is how Oregon does it. No in-person voting at all. Get your mailbox in the ballot, along with a guide, do some personal research, bubble in the ballot, drop it back in the mailbox.

ClubsBabySeal t1_ixfz37t wrote

If you're saying that you should be able to look at the results of your vote, no. Bad idea. Accepted is good, they do that for me. Except this year. Because the ballot never arrived in the mail. First time that has ever happened.

FSDLAXATL t1_ixhlqj7 wrote

Same here. Signed up for absentee ballot, never got one.

BoomZhakaLaka t1_ixgl3c5 wrote

now now, the answer is clearly to require that a full count be completed by midnight same day.

Flatline2962 t1_ixfcboq wrote

FTA:
"The time-crunch election workers now face can be traced back to the controversial 2021 election law passed by the Republican-controlled Georgia legislature, which cut the time allowed for a runoff from nine weeks to four."

​

I'd say "if it wasn't the consequences to our actions" but let's face it, this is precisely the kind of cluster that the GOP want.

frisbeescientist t1_ixfj3g9 wrote

Step 1: break system Step 2: whine about broken unfair system

A classic strategy

IceciroAvant t1_ixhvhb5 wrote

This is how they reduce government to enrich their corporate masters.

Step 1) tax/funding cuts

Step 2) complain about how the department which is now underfunded is not competent, and should have no money at all.

Fomentor t1_ixfkuwd wrote

Of course Republican’ts don’t want to allow voting on Saturday; they know this would disadvantage them. Republican’ts hate democracy.

SnooCats373 t1_ixh4h2s wrote

Saturday is the Jewish sabbath and GOP just wants to keep it holy.

Out of respect and some such.

Fomentor t1_ixhc1hz wrote

No, it is an old holiday in Georgia for Robert E Lee’s birthday. By the way, being an Abrahamic religion, Christian’s share the same sabbath as Jews. That they don’t agree on what day of the week that is amuses me immensely.

AudibleNod t1_ixfb0l0 wrote

Seems weird to want to restrict voters to vote for Herschel Walker.

irkli OP t1_ixfg4pf wrote

Perfectly reasonable ask, if you are a fascist trying to gain power you do not deserve.

thenextamerican t1_ixfs8hj wrote

Voting is a Constitutionally protected right. Never let a Republican tell you they’re Constitutionalists. Like the Bible, they pick and choose which parts give them power. The hell with the rest.

slicknilla t1_ixfn18a wrote

Fair elections are notoriously unfair to the republican party.

Alwayssunnyinarizona t1_ixfehdv wrote

Watch these MFers cry foul when hundreds of white people are stuck in line waiting to vote on Tuesday for one reason or another.

Stav80 t1_ixfu7b5 wrote

Why? Do you not want people to be able to vote? Pretty Sus in my opinion.

[deleted] t1_ixfs072 wrote

The Republican Party hates American democracy because they can't compete in the marketplace of ideas. Can't win without cheating.

irkli OP t1_ixfx1ss wrote

The GOP is obviously trying to favor itself.

Re-AnImAt0r t1_ixfetej wrote

stop the people from voting! when the people vote, we lose!

50FootElvis t1_ixfq71t wrote

I see Georgia Republicans remain as vile and traitorous as ever. Hmmm.

bandit69 t1_ixi4rcb wrote

It's not just the Georgia Republicans. It's Republicans across the entire country.

008Zulu t1_ixfpp2q wrote

"Cheating is the only way we can win!"

jargjangle t1_ixgmfcy wrote

Republicans hate Democracy. Republicans hate Americans. Republicans want to feel your face under their boots for ever and ever.

sundogmooinpuppy t1_ixgf3gx wrote

Republicans are so vile. Seriously, they are trying to overthrow democracy. Fuck them. The are also destructive to the environment. They are responsible for the deaths of many Americans with their lies about Covid/vaccines.

jschubart t1_ixfg3k0 wrote

Runoff elections are not included in the portion of the law they are arguing over. It specifically mentions primaries and general elections. This lawsuit is not going anywhere.

cunt_isnt_sexist t1_ixgrzp6 wrote

So because republican counties are likely not to vote on Saturday for made up reasons, democratic counties have to be limited too? Fuck off you little piss babies. Bad enough you tried to claim Robert E. Lee's birthday was a holiday, which it isn't; and now this? Fucking cheaters.

bdy435 t1_ixh9xpd wrote

Republicans hate democracy. They can only win by cheating.

Aurion7 t1_ixgkf0p wrote

Oh hey, the mask fell off. So much for 'securing elections' or whatever the fuck.

ntgco t1_ixhsvhr wrote

Of course they dont want people to vote, what's more American than suppressing the right to vote?

sonoma4life t1_ixg7rus wrote

why don't they just ask Republicans to go vote?

MCPaleHorseDRS t1_ixh4tdo wrote

It’s crazy they can’t win without using. Other suppression tactics.

bandit69 t1_ixi4f87 wrote

One of my favorite and most accurate quotes:

“If conservatives become convinced that they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy.”

David Frum – a former Republican speech writer.

montex66 t1_ixgm629 wrote

I for one am convinced - CONVINCED - that this time Republicans will show us their 'repeal and replace' healthcare policy they've been hiding for over a decade. Yep.

bandit69 t1_ixi43cx wrote

“all of them Democratic-leaning”

"Your honor, those people are likely to vote Democrat. We can't have this. Please put a stop to it."

NotOK1955 t1_ixhj3ce wrote

Republicans once again trying to move the goal post in order to win the game.

zemplis t1_ixizaqw wrote

Republicans do not support democracy.

dwsmithjr t1_ixm2hmq wrote

They know if they had to rely on the popular vote in a free and fair election where EVERYONE can easily vote legally, they would lose every time.

That's the motivation in all of their "election integrity" initiatives.