Submitted by JamFranz t3_zhzfr9 in nosleep

Let’s call her ‘Jane’, because I don’t know her real name and neither does Andy. He’s been obsessed with her from the moment he laid eyes on her when we found her body in the wall. It’s not healthy at all.

You might be thinking, ‘Oh sure, blame it all on the other woman. Your husband is a grown-ass man and is just as much at fault as she.’

Typically, I’d agree with you. Typically, I’d say that I didn’t want to be in a relationship with someone that isn’t interested in me anyways, but I believe that something is very different with our current situation. I think my husband is in danger.

She left him a note this morning, written on the back of a torn piece of the old wallpaper that plasters the walls of much of the house. I was with him when found it among his supplies. He held it to his chest dreamily, refused to let me see it.

If that wasn’t bad enough, I eventually found where it came from – a patch of wallpaper was missing from the wall in the kitchen, ten feet from the ground. I couldn’t help but picture her scaling the wall, unnaturally. In my imagination and nightmares (that I’ve had more of recently, by the way) she comes and goes from the attic and crawls along the walls, always faceless, nameless.

Andy is an artist and I do freelance graphic design, so it was easy enough for us to pack up and move out here. He mainly paints landscapes but will include people when it feels right.

He confided in me that he felt he was losing any talent he may ever had – maybe he didn’t have any in the first place. Maybe he wasn’t even an artist at all, he’d just gotten lucky that a few of his pieces were extremely popular since some recent ones had been received with mediocre feedback. I thought his work was incredible and told him so. I told him that’s how it is sometimes and I felt the same with my work on occasion, but make something you’re happy with, not everything will be perfect.

Though it remained unspoken, we both thought he needed a change of scenery. When he did eventually and nervously ask me what I thought of moving out to the country, I quickly agreed. I was born in the Midwest and still at times found life in the city to be overwhelming (not to mention expensive considering our inconsistent paychecks).

We found this little farmhouse, miles and miles from the closest town of under 500 people. I think it had been owned by the city or bank, because we bought it sight unseen other than one picture of the exterior on the website we found it on. I mean, we figured it needed work, but we could afford it so that was a major selling point.

But, we’ve made a terrible mistake that may take our lives, or at least his. It turns out that we own this house on paper only. The true owner is whatever we share this space with.

As we first stepped out of the car and traversed the dusty driveway up to the house, I couldn’t help but notice the items littering the yard, like disjointed snapshots of the lives of prior residents. Disintegrating women’s shoes and stained clothes half-buried in the dirt, a sun-bleached jewelry box with deep and messy rips through the wood, a heart shaped wedding frame with a squelching black liquid in place of a photograph. Of course, none of this had been in the picture of the house when we saw it online.

As for the house itself, as soon as we opened the door, I knew something was off about the place. The windows didn’t seem to let in enough light despite there not being a cloud in the sky. I’ve since noticed that there’s some sort of darkness in this house that even the brightest of days and cleanest of windowpanes cannot permeate.

The walls were cracked and bulged in odd places where plaster looked to have been hastily and amateurly applied. A smell like that of long forgotten food permeated the air. Even after airing out the place, I still catch the occasional scent lingering throughout the house, in the air itself and absorbed by the hardwood floor and cabinets, but Andy swears he doesn’t smell it. There’s an air of sadness and longing here, that never seems to go away.

There’s also this odd smelling, greasy looking residue staining the area around the entrance to the attic that drips onto the floor. I don’t know where it comes from, but no matter how often we try to clean it, there’s always more of it.

Typically I like open floor plans, but for a reason I can’t explain, the high ceilings and few walls here felt threatening, as if any opening in this space is an invitation for something else to fill it. Sometimes I felt the presence of that ‘something’ in the form of a choking heaviness in the room, other times as anger. No, anger isn’t strong enough – it feels like pure hatred.

As we moved in our last box and locked the front door behind us, my chest tightened as I had a panicked thought – there’s nowhere to hide.

I still get that feeling sometimes. What I have yet to figure out is what exactly am I trying to hide from in our own house? Is it her?

I wish I could describe it better, the feeling I get in this place. The weirdest thing is that Andy loves it here. He’s been painting again, nearly constantly. What worries me is that from the moment he met her, and since his visits to her in the attic, his art has become much darker.

Before we moved here, he used to paint by the beach but because it was hours away he didn’t get to go often. He’d instead paint from memory, or he’d paint us together based on our old vacation pictures. Even during our first few weeks here, he painted the landscape with the light handed and airy style he was known for.

After he met her he still painted landscapes, but much darker. He’d painted the farmland you can see from outside our window, but the tall stalks of amaranth that he’d once painted as they swayed in the wind like ocean waves on the grain became a scorched and blackened field. The sky was a shade of red-orange, but in the way that indicated a long burning fire in the night, not a serene sunset. Instead of people he painted long things, with strange bodies and heads that rose above the blackened stocks, twisted and, curving in ways that no neck ever should.

I’d gone into town a few times but the people there were not friendly at all – not at all like I remembered people in the place I’d grown up in. Although to be fair, they were typically friendly until they found out where we lived. They weren’t even rude, more so the way they treated us reminded me of how my parents treated an injured bird I’d found as a child. They'd told me not to name it, not to get too attached, because they knew the poor thing wasn’t going to make it and didn’t want me to get my heart broken.

As bad as things are during the day, the nights are always worse. Not only is each night an ordeal inside the house, but outside as well.

I don’t go out if it means I’d be coming or going after the sun sets. Once glance at the fuzzy nighttime footage of the thing that spends the daylight hours under the rusted Ford Bronco in the yard was enough to make me regret us ever installing that video doorbell.

The house was creepy when we moved in, yes, but it all went downhill after we tried to renovate the place. We’d started with removing the haphazard patches of plaster on the walls so we could replace them with actual drywall, since those were the biggest eyesore.

That’s when we met Jane.

As we had cut through the first lumpy and malformed portion, a long swath of white-blond braided human hair tied up in a green ribbon spilled out. I had screamed, and Andy gasped and jumped back.

The hair was stained and sticky, parts of the head it was attached to just barely visible in the shadows beyond the opening. We didn’t need to cut into the wall further to know that we’d found something terrible. Andy went to grab his phone to call the police, and I had to leave the room and buried my face in my hands.

When Andy went back in, he called me over, his voice shaking.

She was… gone. Only a few strands of pale hair tinged red at the roots snagged on the jagged drywall remained to assure us that she’d ever been there at all.

That was the last time we’ve tried to change anything about this house, but things are still going downhill fast. Although I haven’t seen her again, I can feel that she’s still here. Worse, he has become utterly obsessed with her.

One night, I woke up, hearing creaking footsteps from the attic and panicked. I turned over to wake up Andy, but he wasn’t there. I looked for him everywhere and eventually found footprints in that liquid leading up to the attic.

I listened closely and could hear his voice, he was having a one-sided conversation and laughing. I had started to climb up the old wooden rungs myself, until I felt something up there hovering right by the pitch-black entrance – almost as if it was daring me to come to it in the darkness.

He goes up there almost every night now. When he does sleep in our bed, I swear I’ve woken up to him hovering mere inches from my face. The look he gives me when he does this – well I’d never seen such a look on his face before we moved here.

And, maybe it’s coincidental but it looks like he’s aged a decade or even two in the past few months. He doesn’t leave the house at all, and barely eats.

On top of all that, his paintings are getting worse. They aren’t even coherent anymore, just dark paint smeared across the canvas with no apparent method to his madness.

He’s also become quiet and withdrawn. He still talks, just not to me. I hear his voice echoing from the attic at night, and sometimes when he thinks I can’t hear, I’ll catch him talking to the walls themselves during the day. I know he’s talking to her, because he uses the same loving tone that he used to use with me.

Some of my things have disappeared, too. The other day I found some jewelry Andy had given me years ago glinting in the sun, carelessly tossed outside as if its very presence in the house was deeply offensive.

Yesterday, he painted over what had been his favorite painting of us on vacation that we’d had above the fireplace since we moved in. Muddy reds and black had been applied madly across the once beautiful landscape – covering us and the tall redwoods in incoherent smears. He then hung it back up as if that was perfectly normal and without as much as a comment, although he did have an odd smile on his face.

I don’t know what she is or what’s gotten into him, but I’m worried about him. Each day he seems to get worse, and I’ve noticed he’s started wearing a tattered and stained green ribbon tied around his wrist.

How do I get him to stop seeing her?

​

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Odd_Critter t1_izpaeqf wrote

Burn the house. It's the only way to be sure.

LC_Anderton t1_izrpodi wrote

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit 😏

Marcos_Rock t1_izovipd wrote

Call a priest

JamFranz OP t1_izoxsxf wrote

That's a good idea. Maybe they can convince him.

Wtfatt t1_izr8ykj wrote

Nah- OP don't need no priest. OP needs Constantine

SparkleWigglebutt t1_izqbqjl wrote

Girl, don't let that man steal your shine! The easiest way to stop your man from seeing other women is to just take his eyes. If that doesn't work, get a divorce. Don't get mad, get everything. <3

FolkloreInMoonlight t1_izrq8no wrote

I love how dark and twisted this is. And dear OP, that's your house, your man and your life, go get them. Make the rules and do it your way. Rooting for you!!!

Orange__Moon t1_iztzhsv wrote

Well yeah. It's one thing if someone just doesn't want you anymore BEFORE you've given them everything. That's fine, you let them go and wish them luck. But if you've given them everything, the best years of your life, while they mistreat you, you can't let them get away with ditching you with nothing and going and and learning from their mistakes with you by being awesome to someone else who just showed up out of the blue. That can't be tolerated. Some wall woman doesn't deserve everything good that OP has earned right?

whiskeygambler t1_izoxn2x wrote

Move out

JamFranz OP t1_izoz2di wrote

So you don't think we can salvage our relationship? 😟

FollowingFlaky t1_izp75vg wrote

Well yeah because if you move he's not going to go with you if he feels like that about her. You are going to have to try to find a way to trick him out of the house.

Call the cops and tell them he's been talking about hurting himself and having Baker acted for a few days. He won't be arrested, he'll only have to go stay at a psych ward for 3 days, and hopefully away from her, and see if things change.

nykki_ross t1_izsode3 wrote

This is an underrated idea and I support it fully

otakme t1_izqvv96 wrote

Put him in the grippy socks hotel, maybe the space will help him remember who he is, and they can help him psychiatrically if he needs it.

Also call any priests you can to clear the house of any lingering dark entities. The woman you have seen isn’t normal and should definitely be vacated from the premises.

Croast78 t1_izqtpf2 wrote

You move out and let the house consume him before it consumes you both. Either you leave or you will die. Look at the yard for proof of what happens. Lol

Wishiwashome t1_izr0ojy wrote

You can’t if you are dead! Get out of there right now. He probably won’t come with you, but find out the story behind the house. One of those native town’s people will talk. If you can trick him into leaving, do so. If not, get help to get him out and burn the house to the ground! Had to edit, good luck

Croast78 t1_izr4efa wrote

Yeah, there is always someone who will talk in town and/or one person who survived the ordeal - like an estranged wife that left when the same stuff went down with her husband.

LavenderBoombox t1_izpkssk wrote

definitely ask the people in town whats up with the house! see if you can find anyone who'll explain

AnandaPriestessLove t1_izrnimq wrote

Yes, perhaps a kind hearted townie will have some advice if you are circumspect about it.

REL97 t1_izr8osa wrote

Find out from the people in town who she was. Find HER husband/lover. Dig him up and bring him to your house. Plaster him in the wall for the hell of it

clownind t1_izq1hk2 wrote

Burn it all down, the marriage and the house.

Thecrazytrainexpress t1_izqmlq3 wrote

Girl , I would’ve ended it after I caught him hovering over me . That’s a red flag

danel8408 t1_izpv9ip wrote

Divorce him so he's not your husband anymore.

nejnonein t1_izq2149 wrote

Leave now and hire movers to go get your stuff. Do not return. Let him stay there or go with you, don’t tell him that ultimatum, just leave. Don’t talk to him, just leave.

Deb6691 t1_izq5nt4 wrote

Leave him there. The spirits own him now.

Wishiwashome t1_izqurev wrote

Why are you still there, OP? For crying out loud, leave ( hotel, Walmart parking lot, a tent, whatever), ask anyone and everyone in that small town what happened at that house. You MAY be able to save your husband BUT if you are dead you won’t be able to do anything for him. He may be too far gone, but he will surely be if that house and Jane get to you before him!

OneOfTheFewRemaining t1_izqva2y wrote

All I can think is that if you don't leave quick, your things will be amongst the trash in the yard, And your bodies in the walls. Stop cleaning, grab only what you think is most important and leave, he likely will not but he isn't himself. Run, Change your name if you need and start a new life

Prestigious-bish-17 t1_izrx07d wrote

Honey, up your game a bit, you cant let some green ribbon hag take your man, you need to start making changes and advances.

tie him up with chains after knocking him out, don't forget to dig his eyes out and pin them to the wall, so you're all he can look at, feed him on regular basis, tell him stories of your love, in your best clothes and sexy makeup, and don't forget the nicotine.

All the best love💅🏾

alwaysatonna t1_izqirgb wrote

The ghost girl is Probably already attached to your husband so even if y'all move or burn the house wherever y'all go she's going to follow

Shadowwolfmoon13 t1_izqw2it wrote

Cut your losses! He's hung up on that Ghost - and why would you want someone like that? He's possessed. Leave before She convinced him you aren't wanted. Then burn that sucker down.

janindu_r_t_ t1_izsawur wrote

First I'll try to give my advice, or rather what I would do if I really find myself in that situation. I also added some folklore and beliefs from the older generation of my country I was reminded of when I heard this story for the more enthusiasts of the subreddit.

Don't act rash and stupidly, jumping into belief after a belief. Act rationally. (As if that was not obvious though.)

1. If I were in that scenario I would definitely leave the house. Convince your husband to do so. (I believe he is the victim of this situation, so if you are powerless against it, save yourself first and immediately seek help. Maybe call your friends to drag him out of the house but don't do anything stupid.)
  2. Seek religious help. Religion always heals your mind when it comes to unexplainable things.
  3. Also seek psychiatric help. Your husband really needs that and also you may want it too after the whole experience.
  4. Talk to your parents/siblings/loved ones/trustworthy friends about it. It helps a lot.

And here's that folklore if you want.

I'm a Sri Lankan Buddhist and here the older generation including my parents believe sometimes when people die when they are experiencing negative emotions such as lust for something (maybe even the house or a family member), fear or hatred or if they committed sinful deeds, they will be born in the afterlife as spirits, who we call "Pretha" (Details: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preta) or "Kumbaanda", where they become somewhat connected with the said house or member. Most of the time, as they say, these spirits are not harmful (they are enduring suffering themselves as they say these spirits live in extreme hunger or thirst) and cannot be seen by human eye, but sometimes they let their presence be known often for past family members or close relatives (even from another past life) or if the victim is somewhat lacking of merit in their life. When that happens our elders either commit merit as our religion says like alms giving or a Pirith chanting(What is Pirith: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paritta) or (at least they used to) resort to ancient exorcism rituals called "Thowila." (More info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demons_of_Sri_Lanka)

LividBike4910 t1_izql385 wrote

It sounds like whatever was there has taken possession over the husband you once knew. I would run and run fast, there’s no salvaging this

thijs2508 t1_iztbelw wrote

Have you ever done something another woman so bad that she would want to get revenge against you? Maybe your husband was involved in it? Or you stole him from another woman? It sounds like someone summoned an Ancient Nubian curse on you and your husband. Basically, the restless spirit of a deceased ancient Nubian priest is taking control of your Husband and steals his energy to make both your lives hell. The spirit is angry because someone violated his burial site. The spirit presents itself as a woman (or man) that seems so perfect to the victim that he or she becomes addicted to communicating with the spirit. The spirit continues to drain the life energy of its victim and fills it back up with darkness, untill the victim dies.

But don't worry, there is a remedy. Long ago, this curse was first reported to the Catholic Church in 325AD, when a certain Lucius Decius was cursed by an Egyptian woman whom he rejected. His wife, Cornelia, who was a Christian, requested help from the local Christian Bishop, a native of Aswan, of Nubian origin. After performing a ritual to identify the Nubian Spirit, the Bishop tracked down its burial site which was ruined by tomb raiders and restored the grave according to Ancient Nubian customs. This includes closing the Sarcophagus and the chamber it is located in, as well as returning weapons, personal belongings and most importantly, his priest amulet to the chamber. A visualization of all of these items is included in a painted portrait or statue of the particular subject. After Cornelia and the Bishop restored the grave, they released the Curse forever and Decius and Cornelia lived happily together.

So, you would have to identify the Spirit that's haunting you and your husband, if necessary with the help of a priest. Then once identified, travel to Nubia (Modern day Sudan and Southern Egypt) and locate the spirits burial site to restore the grave and release your husband from the curse. This process may take you a while, especially since the burial site of the spirit that haunts you may be buried deep below the sand of the Sudanese desert.

JamFranz OP t1_izthydi wrote

Not that I can think of! Thank you, that's good to know, I'll see what I can find out!

Melodic_Preference60 t1_izquq7e wrote

How did you afford a house with those two jobs? House prices are ridiculous.

JamFranz OP t1_izscg8b wrote

I guess the fact that we could should have been the first red flag. 😔

BlueberryS00mth13 t1_izqbxon wrote

Call someone to remove the spirit, and if he can't be saved then divorce, move out, and possibly try to get him mental health. Hope you guys can be together still after all of it.

itsmandymo t1_izr66x4 wrote

I think if you're not careful, someone else is going to end up in the wall. I'm pretty sure she has possessed him. I don't even think you're dealing with him at all at this point.

JEDIMASTER105 t1_izrfk7f wrote

Dress gothic, show a lil leg and cheat with a ghost dude. Float wile sexin it, if that dont work put him out continue relationship with ghost dude. Repeat float wile sexin it.

AGrainNaCl t1_izsn5b8 wrote

You need to get more hands on if you want to have a chance of saving your husband. You’re going to have to go up into that attic… Before you do though, you’ll need to do some research. The townspeople? Find someone that will give you some information. Fire and holy water aren’t out of the question, though I doubt they’ll be enough.

DisneyVillainForever t1_izsp1e2 wrote

I wonder what happened to her in her lifetime? Did she lose a lover and now she tries to take any man that resides within? Your jewelry was tossed to the lawn much like the jewelry box you noticed as you moved in. Plus, the townsfolk seem to know that there is something wrong with that house and seem like they are waiting for the cycle to repeat and potentially complete. Could there be a way to see if this woman, Jane, suffered? Does anyone recall hearing anything of a redheaded woman who once resided there? Interested to know what you find!

Top-Noise5959 t1_izr6wb0 wrote

Do something to burn the house, get your husband out... and claim insurance.

Odd_Persepctive_391 t1_izrop9b wrote

Bail. Bail on the house the relationship, all of it. Burn it all to the ground (not the husband cuz that’s a crime)

xhotxchocoxfudgex t1_izsqrzi wrote

Honestly, before moving into any house that’s previously been lived in, I’d look up information on the house and its history. I’ve seen way too many horror movies to make me suspicious of moving into homes that were built centuries ago.

But my advice for you would be to go and talk to the people in town and ask them about the house and what happened to the previous owners. Then I would call a priest for an exorcism and get the husband away from the woman and out of the house before burning it to the ground. Or I’d just grab whatever I can of mine and run the heck out of that place with or without him. But then I’d be worried about the place consuming him and then taking hold of the next people to buy the house.

sacarstic t1_izsxqiq wrote

It's difficult. Tit for tat, butter for fat! You start seeing another man.

Millie2244 t1_izui5lm wrote

Pretty sure he is possessed OP, you need a priest at the least. I think if you’re lucky and caught it fast enough you might be able to break her tie to him if you can get him out and away from the house long enough. Good luck !

MissEmma19 t1_izrbmy9 wrote

Being really honest, I’m not sure you can. You could try calling a priest or something but really just try moving out or giving him therapy

kingdoesitwell t1_izrdnnp wrote

Priest/minister would be your best help.

LolitaxL t1_izrh9he wrote

This is really sad. I hope you’re ok.

Icebox2016 t1_izrinah wrote

I see her also. Used to be when I slept but sometimes I'll see her on the bodies of other people. I can't tell if I'm losing my mind or if what I'm seeing is real.

Tomato_Juice_187 t1_izrl5ce wrote

Call a priest he might need an exorcism. Get closer to God and have the priest go and throw holy water. Or contact a paranormal investigator so you have proof of what goes on in your home. You might have to leave the home alone if nothing can be done to it. I hope things get better for you and your husband, god bless you both.

enderseerminecraft t1_izrxgut wrote

Get a wrecking ball, destroy that shit, then call an exorcist.

stevies1474 t1_izs5yk4 wrote

Leave and never return. Yes, that means leave him there as well because she is infecting him.

laundrybag29 t1_izs77ln wrote

Girl at this point burn the whole town no saving can be made🙏🏼 Jokes aside, have you tried to talk to a therapist that may recognize this behavior? have you tried talking to a priest? I’m not christian but I have heard that they can help or knows anyone that is educated on this matter

qwaynick t1_izso925 wrote

Stop being the other woman! Don’t give him his cake and let him eat it too. Leave him and see how he reacts. Either way your problem will be fixed.

tech686 t1_izswh4c wrote

You can't stop anyone from doing what they want to do 🤔

mommykraken t1_izu7p4u wrote

He’s gonna murder you in your sleep. And the phantom lady wants your husband and is jealous of you