Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mamacrass OP t1_itz4gqn wrote

This story is full of crazy nuggets:

> Listening to arguments for four hours, the presiding judge, Peter Michaelson, reportedly sighed, cradled his head in his hands and rubbed his face as he listened to a chain of events unlikely to have much precedent in American jurisprudence.

> Wright, a 48-year-old Kroger executive, was at Shotgun Willie’s in the Denver suburb of Glendale on 2 May 2019 when he fought with another man and got into a chase through the club, BusinessDen reported. Wright died shortly after being tackled by a bartender, Derek Hendricks.

> On the night Long [the lawyer representing the strip club] died, he shared drinks and played cards with a woman employed by Shotgun Willie’s as an entertainer, according to a local CBS affiliate.

> The entertainer reportedly perceived Long to be “extremely” intoxicated. Another employee began taking him home before bringing him back, to let him sleep in his car.

>Staff members checking on Long every few minutes noticed he wasn’t breathing and called 911, the CBS affiliate reported. Paramedics brought Long to hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.

> The deaths of Long, 70, and Wright have landed Shotgun Willie’s in the media spotlight about five years after it drew public ire for displaying a sign that read “Toxic Masculinity Welcome Here”.

WoundedKnee82 t1_iu06avy wrote

Seems like a stupid question but why didn't they just call Long an Uber or Taxi?

>On the night Long [the lawyer representing the strip club] died, he shared drinks and played cards with a woman employed by Shotgun Willie’s as an entertainer, according to a local CBS affiliate.

>The entertainer reportedly perceived Long to be “extremely” intoxicated. Another employee began taking him home before bringing him back, to let him sleep in his car.

Because they killed him you say? Makes sense to me!

Fourbits t1_iu26yh2 wrote

Why would they kill their own lawyer?

24-Hour-Hate t1_iubpqqd wrote

Actually, there's another reason why they wouldn't. Over service. In many places, including Colorado, it is not legal to keep serving drinks to someone who is visibly intoxicated (and you don't go from appearing perfectly sober to "extremely intoxicated"). It puts a bar or other establishment at risk of serious fines, loss of license, etc. as well as liability for any injuries caused to third parties (and family members probably count). So they wouldn't have wanted anyone to see that he was that drunk because it would have been proof of illegality.

IGotNoStringsOnMe t1_itzxm92 wrote

I know that I've probably just watched too many movies, but damn if that doesn't sound like they murdered that lawyer. O.O

TellYouEverything t1_itz5byx wrote

That’s a limp-ass shotgun right there in their logo.

The whole place seems cursed.

chocobrobobo t1_iu0fz23 wrote

Seems to be a purposeful part of the design, as well as "Willies". Very phallic, which is fitting.

Reyemreden t1_iu1l34m wrote

It's not giving me any good vibes, it makes me think that I wont find the strippers very attractive.

chocobrobobo t1_iu1mpf3 wrote

What are you, an inner city boi? Out here you wag a tail at anything without a stick tween it's legs. Only thing is that shotgun already blew it's load.

Morepastor t1_itz85qi wrote

While I have empathy for his family the plaintiff was allegedly acting up, fighting in the bar and died as a result of being detained. I’m not sure bouncers or private security are expected to know these things. The bar sounds like a dive bar with boobs. There are plenty of higher end strip clubs in the area Colorado even has a strip club that is a “fine dinning” steak house.

As for the lawyer, if you ever find yourself in a card game with a stripper while being intoxicated you may loose a lot. Sounds like a complicated night.

MyDudeNak t1_itzetiw wrote

Killing or hurting someone while detaining them very rarely absolves responsibility, it is why no one will stop you if you walk out of a big-box store without paying for example.

The bartender isn't going away for murder or anything, but it definitely seems valid to pursue a wrongful death settlement considering the circumstances (no bouncer at a dive bar? Tackling someone who is running? Chokeholds? These are rookie mistakes.)

IGotNoStringsOnMe t1_itzyv0j wrote

>it is why no one will stop you if you walk out of a big-box store without paying for example.

Meanwhile I've seen bouncers beat the shit out of people and literally throw them out of bars. IDK what the legal protections are if any for bartenders operating as their own bouncer, but actual bouncers seem to have a fair amount of confidence in working rowdy patrons over that's lead me to assume they have some amount of legal protection normal staff dont have.

Caveman108 t1_iu2yks9 wrote

Nah, they’re just usually violent assholes that get employed to do what they love. Known more than a few, mostly in the Chicago area. Couple I’ve met had done time for assault, one went away for homicide.

Morepastor t1_itzjesz wrote

I don’t disagree but the ask isn’t likely the reality. I’m not an attorney but have been involved in cases like this where the intent wasn’t to harm but it happened. Usually the settlement they offer is close to what you may get in court after all things considered. Without intent or some sort of racism involved it’s not a $5m case. Even if he was a top retail executive how much was his lifetime earnings. That’s all I am saying, sad that he died. He made some poor choices that night and others did as well. I don’t think a bad heart is to blame. It’s likely that defense is being used as a precursor to get the outcome they want/can afford. If they prove he had a bad heart then the lifetime earnings would probably be less. Bottom line he should not be dead, the bartender should not be dealing with guilt and the family is likely getting told things by an attorney who thinks he has a George Floyd style case against this club. Basically going to be hurt one more time imho. Maybe strip clubs like that don’t have insurance. If your lawyer is playing cards with your strippers maybe they don’t.

My good friend was once hit by a taxi in NYC. Being head of his firm he decided he’d sue. The taxi company had seen it all and by the time the suit was filed the cab and it’s LLC had filed bankruptcy and moved the medallion. He got nothing but the trip to NY.

timojenbin t1_itzt7fo wrote

>I’m not sure bouncers or private security are expected to know these things.

Probably not relevant. And probably not the only angle for liability.

Morepastor t1_iu00qr3 wrote

That’s why and who they suing per the article. I am sure there is more to it. The article did not go in depth. If you are on private property and breaking the law in Colorado they have the right to use force to remove the person. If the person is a threat to anyone else (he was) then they could use more force and the Castle Doctrine could even protect you if deadly force was used depending on the situation. Since they are in civil court and no charges seem to have been filed I think legally the force was considered justified? Involuntary manslaughter would be the criminal charge if not. I’m not a lawyer though.

TransformativeOne t1_itz68c2 wrote

There must be some strong stripping going on in there that results in two patrons dying.

[deleted] t1_itzx50o wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_itzx536 wrote

Sorry, but your account is too new to post. Your account needs to be either 2 weeks old or have at least 250 combined link and comment karma. Don't modmail us about this, just wait it out or get more karma.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

PHARA0Hbender t1_iu14hmo wrote

As a Denverite, this is the most on brand thing for Shotgun Willies imaginable to happen. The place, like most strip clubs here, especially the ones on Colfax are known for shootings and other nefarious deeds like drug dealing and other gang activity. The reason amongst others why they keep shutting down. Places get wild here.

M1K3jr t1_iu1xf86 wrote

A lifetime ago I was a private investigator, conducting surveillance on a stripper that worked at SW's... this was like early 2000's. It was surreal.

Her claim originated in a lower-rung establishment in Colorado Springs, where she resided. We didn't know where she worked/went during the daytime.

She'd drive to Denver like she was on her way to deprogram a nuclear device, and time was running out. We're talking close to 100mph thru the gap (slang for the sucky drive between Colorado Springs and Denver) It took a couple tries and multiple investigators in different vehicles on mobile surveillance to track her to SW's (working while collecting on workers compensation).

Then I had to go inside with covert surveillance cameras to document her physical abilities/activities.

I distinctly remember going to the men's room to check my cameras and etc. A normalish middle aged man walked in, walked towards the wall opposite the door. Stopped about a yard shy of the wall, puked on the wall, did a pretty decent 'about-face' and walked right back out. He remained in the club.

The whole thing was horrible and terrifying. I was certain I was going to be beaten to death by the bouncers.

No one made me. Got evidence, got the Frick Out.

GOLDANDAPPELINC t1_iu3nf4g wrote

The Gun Club is... definitely that kind of place. Glendale is that kind of place. It's not a suburb, it's an enclave for... reasons.

readerf52 t1_iu2i8sy wrote

A sad story, but I had to really laugh at this: “…a request for permission to take jurors to Shotgun Willie’s was denied”

A wise judge.

bigbangbilly t1_itzi8jn wrote

I thought Shotgun Willie's was a gun store for the past few days.

generic_edgelord t1_iu05sg5 wrote

I mean there could be a veritable gun show in there depending on the clientelle

TricksterWolf t1_iu0hsz5 wrote

Willie should be more careful with that shotgun of his.

sharrrper t1_iu0semm wrote

From what I gather the first guy died after getting into a fight and getting tackled by a bouncer. The lawyer died after just getting severely wasted.

Pending any additional evidence sounds like two completely unrelated incidents other than the unfortunate overlap in location.

Elrigoo t1_iu1qz8q wrote

They both died of poor life choices at the same titty bar.

acartillo78 t1_iu0noo3 wrote

I'm not familiar with key law. Is it anything like bird law?

lounge_l1zard t1_iu1mzmd wrote

nottheonion is on fire this afternoon. First I see the anti-helmet lawyer died on a motorcycle without a helmet. Now this!

There is something poetic here...

Dracotaz71 t1_iu1rbh3 wrote

Been there, Nice place actually. Not so great neighborhood. I was a bouncer at another club for a few years in the Denver area. Colorado law ensures all bouncers/bartenders take classes every 6 months on self defense and how to handle most situations including violent ones. We were all trained how to detain a person, mostly wrist-locks and arm holds, never choke holds. Always top concern for everyone's safety... including the drunk idiots looking to brawl.

big_juice01 t1_iuaydpg wrote

“Justice delayed is not justice served.” — tell that to Ken Paxton who was indicted over 7 years ago and still doesn’t even have a trial date set.

TievX0r t1_iu2hhgp wrote

At this point, It wouldn't even surprise me if they find out its because the place is full of vampires or something... Like a discount From Dusk Till Dawn...

Nokneemouse t1_iu2ixte wrote

> The deaths of Long, 70, and Wright have landed Shotgun Willie’s in the media spotlight about five years after it drew public ire for displaying a sign that read “Toxic Masculinity Welcome Here”.

Charming.

[deleted] t1_iu2ulgm wrote

[removed]

AutoModerator t1_iu2uli7 wrote

Sorry, but your account is too new to post. Your account needs to be either 2 weeks old or have at least 250 combined link and comment karma. Don't modmail us about this, just wait it out or get more karma.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

barry_thisbone t1_iu374xy wrote

Shotgun Willie's is wild. Every year on Valentine's Day they host a "fat girl twerk-off" if that gives you any idea what type of establishment this is

GOLDANDAPPELINC t1_iu3n1xy wrote

Thing about the Gun Club, is it's in the club, if you know what I mean. Starting trouble there's a bad idea. Four or five big guys with no necks will regulate the situation.

DrGonzo138 t1_iu3vjk7 wrote

For a place that "welcomes toxic masculinity here", not surprised to hear of multiple deaths. What a shithole.

Naughtai t1_iu36g0d wrote

"a request for permission to take jurors to Shotgun Willie’s was denied."

Also: "toxic masculinity welcomed here."