Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BigOmet t1_iv1k7dj wrote

Now this is an Oniony title.

ash_274 t1_iv2g0ko wrote

Especially if they lose the appeal

Mentalfloss1 t1_iv1l578 wrote

Next thing you know trains will be using tracks! It’s a slippery slope.

NetDork t1_iv1v66x wrote

For slippery slopes you need those cog railways, though.

DrugsArentAlwaysBad t1_iv1ma2q wrote

Lmao I wouldn’t go that far, buddy.

Gotta keep it in the realm of possibilities

ramriot t1_iv43gz7 wrote

I don't doubt it.

I got a bus lane fine once (private company OBO council) , the lane started under an unlit railway bridge with an unlit warning sign. There was a prior warning sign further up the road but before the side road I turned into the main road from.

I wrote this all into my reply because no way I'm paying for that.

Ended up needing to write three more times as they kept referring it upwards.

My 3rd letter was supposed to be forwarded by them to the independent adjudicator & on this letter I added a post script to the effect that I will be copying all prior correspondence to the local MP who was collecting reports of such abuses.

Got a reply in under a week, to the effect that "since such considerable time has passed since the original infraction, they would be dropping the infraction".

I still passed on the letters & last I heard the company lost their contract & something like £45,000 in fines were returned.

Hungry_Treacle3376 t1_iv4l0dn wrote

Good on you! Most people will say "oh, they made it right so I'm not going to report them" because they're only thinking about themselves. But you went out of your way to do the right thing and might have helped those people get that money back. I love to see it.

Xineado t1_iv1nhhp wrote

This country is falling apart.

tommyboyblitz t1_iv272ov wrote

wiuld this jist be a mistake? wrong reg reported or glitch in adatabase

Alundra828 t1_iv2cetp wrote

Almost certainly, yes.

The bus was issued a PCN, which is done by automated ANPR cameras. The VRM would've been missing from a whitelist maintained by the council, and clearly it was not updated or deployed to the unit, so a mistake happens.

Usually there is a person in between the issue of a PCN and the actual sending of the PCN, but obviously someone was asleep at the wheel, or budget cuts meant they couldn't personally verify them.

So, the PCN was sent out erroneously.

It's trivial to appeal as well, they'd just need to call up, say it's a bus, and it will probably immediately get cancelled.

Nagrommmm t1_iv2xe7c wrote

Man it’s like a 3 paragraph article lamooo

That’s being said, yes it was an error. And yes the Leeds Council has apologize and canceled the ticket

Xinandi t1_iv1n2b0 wrote

Irrelevant. Any bus from anywhere can use a bus lane.

SomeoneSomewhere1984 t1_iv5w41g wrote

False. Bus lanes are for local public transit busses. Some cities might allow some other busses to use them, but a travel bus can't just assume the right to such a lane.

After-Trifle-1437 t1_ivjsgtu wrote

Next: "Pedestrian fined for being on the sidewalk"

Mitthrawnuruo t1_iv2il2k wrote

All I see is a bus impeding the flow of traffic and creating a hazard.

−16

kevinds t1_iv3b0i1 wrote

> All I see is a bus impeding the flow of traffic and creating a hazard.

Of other buses?

Mitthrawnuruo t1_iv3cv65 wrote

And other traffic, yes.

−10

kevinds t1_iv3dfgz wrote

> And other traffic, yes.

Other traffic doesn't use a "bus" lane.