Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

1600hazenstreet t1_j7nfm8n wrote

When folks find out Canadian has more restrictive immigration policy than the US.

ghostfacekhilla t1_j7q70n2 wrote

Canada let's in way more immigrants per their population than the US. It's just skill based rather than the joke of a system the US uses.

[deleted] t1_j7wsb3v wrote

And based on a skill based criteria almost none of these migrants would be allowed in.

sweetdicksguys t1_j7ndocm wrote

Is it still racist if it's a blue state doing it?

Evening_Presence_927 t1_j7qh4g0 wrote

It’s racist because a Republican is doing it. Let’s not act like Adams is a real democrat.

−6

Icy-Performance-3739 t1_j7ogtmt wrote

Purple state. There is a place called wall street in new york state. Guys there are pretty fucking conservative lemme tell ya.

−24

lordfili t1_j7poyjm wrote

You clearly know nothing about Wall Street in New York State.

Icy-Performance-3739 t1_j7pvht3 wrote

Wall Street owns the federal reserve banks majority shares and they are throttling the interest rates and creating the recession so their pig party doesn't conpletely delete he american economy and lead to ww3. So you tell me what conservative means bruv. If you don't think bankers are conservative then you don't understand anything about the world man.

−7

Silvery_Silence t1_j7q2gxh wrote

You do realize there can be conservative people in a blue state and that doesn’t make it purple, right?

sweetdicksguys t1_j7pxryi wrote

Are there enough red voters in wall street to negate the blue voters everywhere else ?

Silvery_Silence t1_j7q2e12 wrote

Ny is not a purple state. It is a reliably blue state. Blue states can have red areas and republicans in them. That doesn’t make them purple.

Icy-Performance-3739 t1_j7q6cur wrote

But aren't blue and red both just really conservative neoliberal branches of the same sects or factions of the cosmopoloid classes

−2

[deleted] t1_j7l4s79 wrote

Quelle suprise! At least the ones from Haiti will be able to communicate.

Granbabbo t1_j7p44dk wrote

They are not mutually intelligible, but I guess it would be faster for a Haitian to learn French than English.

yunglaflamingo t1_j7obrbn wrote

> "Some want to go to Canada, some want to go to warmer states, and we are there for them as they continue to move on with their pursuit of this dream," Mr Adams said

Adams like "we are there for you as long as you get the hell out of here"

werdnak84 t1_j7n4gyi wrote

....... sorry. DeSantis and Abbott are not in New York.

Ares6 t1_j7lon6c wrote

To be fair, Canada is much better. They would have access to all amenities of the first world.

−14

brooklynlad t1_j7ltnxi wrote

Tell that to the people in Quebec who are dealing with housing issues already.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-s-housing-crisis-is-worsening-data-confirms-1.6248549

_Maxolotl t1_j7me8wp wrote

Scary rate of rent increase compared to how it's been up there.

Also nowhere near catching up with big American cities' housing clusterfuck just yet.

−2

Ares6 t1_j7lus6o wrote

That’s an issue in almost all developed countries. However, they won’t have to deal with the other issues in the US like crime rates, healthcare costs, lack of social safety nets, and other issues plaguing the US. Most people would choose to live in Canada over the US given the option.

−20

Tatar_Kulchik t1_j7m6guw wrote

Crime in USA is quite low. And where there is rampant crime tends to be located in very specific areas.

Healthcare is expensive, but at least the quality is good (many people from rest of world will travel to USA for special surgeries and treatments).

There is welfare, foods stamps, ebt, etc... Could be better but this isn't INdia where the only social safety nets are through private charities and organizations

ANd many developed countries have a variety of these issues.

Ares6 t1_j7malbj wrote

Crime in the US is low in comparison to the countries these people came from, correct. But when compared to countries of similar wealth, crime in the US is much higher. Crime in the US is much higher than in Canada. Crime in the US is a symptom of poverty and inequality.

The US spends more on healthcare than any country in the world. So while it’s systems may be great. It’s unaffordable to most people. As these are migrants, who will for the time being take on low wage jobs. Healthcare in the US would be unaffordable to them. One bad injury could set someone into bad medical debt.

The US has worse safety nets than in much of the countries on its caliber. Getting food stamps is not easy. The way the system of welfare is designed in the US is that you have to ensure you make just enough to qualify. Going over that amount will make you ineligible. The issue with this is that going over the requirements would actually make you worse off economically. Which is why it’s so common for people to not even take a raise at work. Or stay in the same position. This combined with expensive healthcare makes you worse off economically than a poor person in Canada.

Many developed countries have issues. In fact every country has issues. The issues unique to the US are problems that were fixed in the past. But made worse because we forgot why those systems were in place. Or just absolute refusal to fix an issue and do everything else instead of fixing them.

−13

Tatar_Kulchik t1_j7mrimg wrote

>Crime in the US is a symptom of poverty and inequality.

Correct, which is why crime is located in very specific areas. The areas I have always lived worked or studied in US have been very safe.

It's not like it is a wide spread issue. It's very localised.

Ares6 t1_j7q36cj wrote

Which in comparison to other developed nations is still awful. There really isn’t an argument there. Crime in the US should not be as high as it is. Especially for a developed country.

Tatar_Kulchik t1_j7q6fv5 wrote

Yes there is an argument. Crime is located in very specific areas. It's not like it is a widespread issue affecting the whole of the country evenly.

In fact, if you remove the 'bottom 10% of society', crime in the US drops like 40%.

​

Here are some crime stats across countries:

https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/crime_stats_oecdjan2012.pdf

Rape is much higher in many OECD countries outside of USA.

So is robbery.

So is assault.

So is burglary.

So is vehicle theft (and anecdottaly, my car has never been stolen in USA or Russia, but my car in England was stolen :) )

Ares6 t1_j7qa5ly wrote

Your source proves my point. In almost every instance the US is ranked high in crime rates. And removing percentages to make things feel better for you is wrong. The US in fact has a crime issue. A person is more safer in Germany than in the US. They are safer in Canada than in the US. Crime in the US is a known issue. There is no argument here. If you are comparing the US to a third world country than yeah sure it’s safer. But as your stats show, in much of the developed world. You are much safer in other countries outside the US.

Tatar_Kulchik t1_j7mrl44 wrote

ANd to think of how many millions still come to the USA... omg!!!!!!!!!!

koreamax t1_j7luys0 wrote

Let's see how Canada handles a massive influx of illegal immigrants

Ares6 t1_j7lx80t wrote

Actually fine. Canada has set out plans to welcome in 1.5 million immigrants into Canada by 2025. Which is per capita 4x the amount the US gets. Canada has been settling in many economic migrants.

Canada is currently suffering from a labor shortage. They just took in a record amount of immigrants of over 400 thousand. Which is huge for their population size.

−12

koreamax t1_j7lyxcd wrote

Immigrants are different than illegal immigrants.

[deleted] t1_j7n3uyj wrote

[deleted]

koreamax t1_j7n6bo6 wrote

Are you talking about me? My wife's parents were illegal immigrants.

Edit-lol you deleted your comment

Ares6 t1_j7lze4t wrote

Canada has set out to take in both.

−3

huunnuuh t1_j7miwku wrote

No. Just try it. Walk into Canada without going through customs. You will be arrested. You will be given the opportunity to claim asylum. As an American, your claim would likely be rejected and you would be eventually deported.

Anyone in Canada has a right to claim asylum. Most aren't actually granted asylum though. And we simply deport people who have no legal right to be Canada. Two people are deported from Canada every hour, on average.

Don't confuse a very open immigration policy that accepts many in large numbers, with an unregulated or unrestricted immigration policy. Part of the reason Canadians are so accepting of immigration as we are, is because the system is controlled by us and we decide who gets to come as a skilled worker, and who is actually a refugee.

koreamax t1_j7nhof3 wrote

They also get a lot of skilled workers because of the commonwealth.

Intelligent_Dance103 t1_j7orz0h wrote

> And we simply deport people who have no legal right to be Canada.

How do you do that? We over here in Europe have not found that magic yet!

huunnuuh t1_j7pki71 wrote

Living on a continent where the only land border is with the USA makes it a lot easier.

Also, the numbers are small, so techniques they can't realistically use in Europe or the USA are usable here. If they refuse to identify themselves, or refuse to go home voluntarily, and the country of origin is making deportation difficult, we just imprison people until they agree to leave. This policy has its human rights issues, but it does work.

PinkKitty48 t1_j7o3790 wrote

Oh sweetie...you're gonna get a big old slap of realization when you get out to Canada and realize it's not better then here

albeinsc4d t1_j7p1k15 wrote

the misuse of "then" always creates the best unintended lines.

−2

Tatar_Kulchik t1_j7m66n2 wrote

hahahahahah, america isn't first world hahahahahahahah oh wow hahahahahahah.

AbazabaYouMyOnlyFren t1_j7nz96i wrote

They'll have plenty of room. The NYC metropolitan area has about 1/2 the population of Canada in a much smaller space.

harlemtechie t1_j7orxiz wrote

Most of it is unhabitable.

AbazabaYouMyOnlyFren t1_j7p3a8k wrote

I don't think that's true. The vast majority of it is, and even a fraction of that is 100x the size of NYC.

Unless you can cite a source that says otherwise...

I don't really understand why they're being kept in the city anyway, there's lots of room further upstate. Albany doesn't have courts to handle their cases?

_Maxolotl t1_j7m5v9p wrote

this is disgusting.

politicians in rich countries playing hot potato, but with people.

−14

_TheCommish_ t1_j7md7al wrote

If they didn’t wanna be hot potatoes they coulda stayed home. They are economic migrants not asylum seekers.

Pushed-pencil718 t1_j7mvlsm wrote

Exactly this. They voluntarily came here. They aren’t contributing to this country and they have a home country to return to if they don’t like the way things work here.

spicytoastaficionado t1_j7nknmn wrote

>They are economic migrants not asylum seekers.

Yup.

There is a pretty narrow criteria for what qualifies as legitimate asylum claims.

If you read any of the local reporting on migrant arrivals in NYC, you consistently see countries of origin such as Peru and Ecuador, and migrants themselves saying they are seeking work and a higher standard of living.

If that was a criteria for having a legitimate asylum claim, literally billions of people from around the world would have a right to asylum here.

_Maxolotl t1_j7me197 wrote

I see the SI Live comments section has entered the chat.

−26

huunnuuh t1_j7mgrxy wrote

Canadian here. The majority who cross irregularly either withdraw their applications, or are denied refugee status. The large majority of applicants from certain countries (e.g. Nigeria or Mexico) are routinely denied. Refugee status is for people fleeing government persecution, not for poor people. The majority of the world is quite poor relative to Canada. Even if we were a far more generous people than we are in practice (quite stingy, really), we cannot realistically admit all of the people who want to move here because they come from impoverished countries.

Anyone can claim asylum in Canada. An American can try it if they want. Cross the border and present yourself to the nearest customs agent. You will get a government stipend of about $800 a month until you find a job, and some health care benefits... before being fast-track denied and deported.

Since we're a bureaucratic mess up here sometimes, it'll still take months. During which you can stay in Canada and get access to healthcare etc. And there's always the long-shot option that your claim of persecution, which is individually reviewed, might actually be accepted. If you can afford a plane ticket to the USA, and can cross over the Canadian border, then you can try this. Anyone can. That's what's being exploited.

There are some people fleeing persecution who would be refugees by Canadian law. We do accept quite a few of the border crossers. Chinese dissidents are a prominent source of refugees. Some people get desperate and will try anything anywhere they think they might be accepted. And Canada has a reputation as being accepting of refugees. An accurate one. Canadians are generally extremely pro-immigration, and we resettle more refugees permanently, than any other country in the world per capita. The government selects and brings tens of thousands of refugees from other parts of the world here, every year. But, bluntly, we prefer to do this on our terms.

_TheCommish_ t1_j7mefwd wrote

This is not a “dumb conservative” take. What should happen to them? We don’t even have space for the current homeless population what’re we supposed to do with even more?

Why don’t you open your apartment up and let a family stay with you? The shelters are full, the hotels we use as shelters are full. They could freeze to death on the streets if that would make you feel better?

The humane option is sending them somewhere else where they can actually be taken care of.

huebomont t1_j7mqvv6 wrote

We should build more housing, shelters, etc. We have plenty of resources we just don’t want to prioritize this.

−19

_TheCommish_ t1_j7mtjsa wrote

Nice to wish and dream but the reality is there is no place for them here. Better they live not in one of the most expensive cities in the world anyways.

Besides of all the things for this city to prioritize, i don’t think economic migrants are one of them.

huebomont t1_j7mu5lk wrote

oh so you’re not really interested in solving the problem, my mistake!

−14

flightwaves t1_j7mun16 wrote

Even if we did those things we’d build it for the people already here. Not these folks.

huebomont t1_j7mwro0 wrote

most new yorkers didn’t start out their lives here.

building new housing as a general concept is explicitly about new people coming in. if no one were coming in, a housing shortage wouldn’t develop. building housing helps everyone. you can’t do it for some people without affecting others, i don’t even know how that would work.

−11

flightwaves t1_j7mx68r wrote

Your lack of understanding is crazy. Even if you started building housing now, it would take years just to house our own homeless let alone new migrants. Stop letting your fantasy land cloud your judgement.

huebomont t1_j7mxubq wrote

I completely understand how much housing we need. Which is why we should build it and should have been building it for decades. What are you arguing in favor of exactly?

−3

flightwaves t1_j7my2sn wrote

I’m arguing we should stop taking migrants. We don’t have the space for them now and won’t for years as we should prioritize our existing homeless population.

What are you arguing for? Keep bringing them in and housing them in $500 per night hotels?

huebomont t1_j7mymv1 wrote

We’re not “bringing them in”. They’re coming here or being shipped here. I’m arguing for building housing (a long term solution) and expanding shelters (a short term one.)

We don’t need to house these people indefinitely for free but it’s ridiculous to say we don’t have the resources to provide infrastructure to give them a landing place for a week or two while they figure out their final landing place. These people aren’t coming here expecting free room and board for life, they have a plan and then some asshole in Texas ships them here and they don’t know where they are or how to get where they wanted to go. We can give them a place to regroup and also work on having enough housing so that they can afford the rent if they want to stay, along with everyone else who wants to live here.

If you think that’s fantasyland then I’m not sure what kind of positive vision for the city you possibly have because it really isn’t that imaginative.

flightwaves t1_j7myu0l wrote

> These people aren’t coming here expecting free room and board for life, they have a plan and then some asshole in Texas ships them here and they don’t know where they are or how to get where they wanted to go.

Source...

huebomont t1_j7myz6z wrote

dude, catch up on the news, starting with the article this whole comment section is about.

−1

flightwaves t1_j7mzjlx wrote

Nah you keep with the news. These people are making asylum claims but very few of them actually qualify for asylum. They're coming for work and to send money home which itself isn't a bad thing except we don't got the space to house them and we can't keep opening up shelters for them.

th3guitarman t1_j7n8to1 wrote

What about all those empty office spaces that business owners are so desperate to fill with workers who want to stay home?

What about all the empty lots they left unlisted to keep rent prices high during and after the pandemic?

There is space right now, actually. Just no will.

−2

flightwaves t1_j7nb9my wrote

Okay but then you have to feed, provide medical care, give their kids room in our schools etc.. where does it end?

th3guitarman t1_j7nexmp wrote

We should and could also do this for our own citizens.

Also, people do things. So, they would eventually join the local economy.

"Where does it end" they aren't the mouse you gave a cookie, they're other people.

−1

Cyril_Clunge t1_j7n6hwz wrote

Yeah, I arrived in New York to earn a living wage and not to be exploited.

huebomont t1_j7n9qnq wrote

glad you made it here! don't pull up the ladder behind you.

Double-Ad4986 t1_j7nooo3 wrote

the venezuelans were literally begging to go to canada and away from the city after slumming it in the streets near the hotels when they refused to go to the perfectly good shelter in brooklyn...it's not even our fault atp

iv2892 t1_j7o2htj wrote

I was watching an interview on Univision , and there were a couple of Venezuelans (I’m not generalizing , these were only the ones that were interviews by channel 41) and they were complaining how this is supposed to be the American dream , how are being left in the cold , or not provided with housing and a stable job. One of them even complained about people trying to steal their $150 caps and $200 shoes 🙄

spicytoastaficionado t1_j7q0ab1 wrote

There is this weird dynamic on this sub where any reporting about migrants that isn't a puff piece is branded as right-wing tabloid fodder by some members.

It is easy to use that deflection tactic for a Post article, but when outlets like Univision and ABC7 report similar stories, it gets a bit harder to use that ad hominem attack.

Mental_Resolve_6280 t1_j7mwwg4 wrote

Mfs come to this country wanting everything handed to them and only stuff they want like a permanent house w out paying rent and taking funding from NYPD wtf and food from their country. Bro gtfo they gotta send all of them Back quick

iv2892 t1_j7o2l2u wrote

On Univision they were playing a couple of male adults complaining that they were not given housing and stable jobs . While also wearing $200 shoes 🤡

Coldcase0985 t1_j7mmwao wrote

Please open your doors for them. Host a family

_Maxolotl t1_j7mv3ym wrote

Nah, lets use tax money for it instead.

−13