Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hitler_the_stripper t1_jdmed9k wrote

Spacious, high ceilings, indoor pool... rent is probably too high for me.

CensorshipIsTheDevil t1_jdmfh6s wrote

No windows, that ought to bring it down to a more reasonable rate. Still high, but more reasonable.

nycfunguys t1_jdmkmvq wrote

"You don't need no window where you're sleeping, it should be dark!" Eric Adams

soontwobee t1_jdn7iy5 wrote

If it's too light the swagger of a converted office apartment might blind you and you could trip and hurt yourself 😥

human_eyes t1_jdmd9pc wrote

Any more context here? What am I looking at?

PonyEnglish OP t1_jdmedw1 wrote

It’s an early construction photo of the just completed Grand Central Madison station on the LIRR. The station is about 140 feet below the street.

pittsburgh1901 t1_jdms0c0 wrote

Picture is from 10 years ago. This series has more pictures: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2275380/New-York-City-expanding-nations-biggest-transit-hub-16-stories-beneath-Grand-Central-Terminal.html

"they hauled out so much rocky debris from under Grand Central that it could have covered Central Park...almost a foot deep."

astoriaboundagain t1_jdn5j52 wrote

Where'd they put it?

fletcherkildren t1_jdn8zko wrote

Didn't they use it to extend southern Manhattan, IIRC the trade center and Battery Park used to be under water

astoriaboundagain t1_jdn9mfn wrote

That extension was done with landfill from the original WTC excavation in the 70's.

I know a lot of this project's rock came out in Long Island City. You used to be able to see the exit pit on the N train curve on the approach to Queensboro Plaza.

avantgardengnome t1_jdncl7c wrote

Battery Park City came from the WTC excavation but The Battery itself was also landfill that came from street widening and stuff like that going back to the mid 1800s. The original western edge of lower Manhattan was essentially Greenwich Street all the way up to about 15th St in the Meatpacking District. (So the WTC site was indeed once underwater, but idk if that land came from Grand Central or not).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Manhattan_expansion

zachotule t1_jdo5qg9 wrote

Can’t find any info on that but they’re certainly doing a lot of work on Manhattan’s shores that have been using lots of rock and dirt. Everything from the restoration of the East River shoreline in the East Village and Lower East Side, to Gansevoort Peninsula, has used quite a lot.

Abeck72 t1_jdnfsns wrote

"And when they're all completed, estimated for 2019, they will bring subway and commuter rail service to vast, underserved stretches of the city, particularly the far East and West sides of Manhattan." lol

smackson t1_jdmreaa wrote

poppenweiler t1_jdnb4t4 wrote

Oh, bugger off.

Rob_T_Firefly t1_jdngbpa wrote

This is New York City. We fuck off here.

smackson t1_jdoq3wp wrote

Don't drink coffee I take tea my dear.

Like my toast done on one side

Rob_T_Firefly t1_jdoqyca wrote

I also prefer tea.

The other thing is so interesting. Left or right?

coldlyofficer952 t1_jdmaenx wrote

Watch out for the mutants.

projektako t1_jdmhecg wrote

If they're teenagers that like pizza, I'm ok with them

PorchHonky t1_jdmk9vi wrote

At least two of them are Leela’s parents.

DistantStorm-X t1_jdmtm43 wrote

Not many realize that this is a shot not of before the water was pumped out, but after it was put back in. After they found the Door, at the very bottom.

Thankfully one of the sandhogs was a grizzled, salty type, still familiar with the Old Stories. The giant bronze Seal was covered in ancient muck, and heavily oxidized. They almost broke it. But the old vet washed off some of the mud and slime, and instantly knew what it was.

Those tunnels are sealed off, now. Most of the plans showing their location destroyed. But the pool is still down there, and the Door, and the Seal. And what lies beneath that, in the deep forgotten dark.

It waits. And it seethes.

IIAOPSW t1_jdngab6 wrote

So...that's the excuse you're going with for Second Ave phase 2 not being built?

thelastknowngod t1_jdo133v wrote

> the old vet

Not sure if you're talking about a horse doctor or some dude who was in 'Nam.

simcitymayor t1_jdmwr1j wrote

Back in 2012 and again in 2016, they (MTA/Skanska) gave out free tours for people who lived in the construction zone of the Second Avenue Subway. Granted, the construction wouldn't reach me until 2035 at the earliest, but they said that qualified, and I wasn't going to argue. The tours sounded (and were) very cool.

On the first tour, they were still "mucking", which means hauling rocks out to the surface. They joked that you could keep as many as you could carry, and would break off pieces to anybody who wanted one. I took two. They're on a shelf in my living room.

bigdickmassinf t1_jdo4se5 wrote

How did you find the tours?

simcitymayor t1_jdo72cb wrote

I don't have a clear memory how I first-first heard about it. I had a friend to worked for Skanska in legal, and they mentioned it, but I might have also heard about it through the 2nd Avenue Sagas blog. The criteria was that you had to live within 1 avenue block of 2nd Avenue to qualify. I did, but much further south of the construction zone. They didn't care.

Either way, I emailed somebody, they added me to a list, and they were really good about updating people about when tours were available (all options were early morning Saturdays, if I recall), and what would be expected of them (wear clothes that can get dirty, shoes you really don't care about, you'll end up walking a couple miles before the tour is over, but not a lot of stairs because it's a mine-shaft-ish elevator sto get in and out. You'll meet at this location near 71st st for the introduction, safety lesson, and to issue gear, the tour will walk you over from this station to the next one, expect to get "rained" on, and we'll come back up there instead of the way we went in...

The second tour I think was available only to people who'd been on the earlier tours. By this point it was almost a complete station. They were still putting up tiles and doing wiring, but things were dry, painted, and clean. The Bronx Borough president was on our tour, so there was a gaggle of photographers along with, but they basically ignored us normies.

Both tours were awesome in their own way, but I liked the first one better, and I had a lot of fun remembering all this stuff for this comment. If you ever are near an MTA contstruction zone, ask around to see if they're doing a tour.

tyjtyjrhbdf t1_jdm9tak wrote

16 stories?

How high is Manhattan above sea level? I always thought it was pretty close, so how they that deep without running into water I do not understand.Then again, I’m from Florida where it works like that a lot, maybe in New York it is all rocky and keeps the water out.

chug84 t1_jdmaorp wrote

You answered your own question towards the end. Partially submerge a rock in water. This is Manhattan. Drill a hole into this rock, down past the water line. This is what you have in this picture.

TarumK t1_jdmixxm wrote

And there's literally no cracks/gaps in the rock that would let water in?

reddititty69 t1_jdmmwxi wrote

There’s water in the picture. You just need to pump it out faster than it leaks in.

smackson t1_jdmrjxo wrote

Sounds like a recipe for big problems.

AltaBirdNerd t1_jdmy4ch wrote

Technology exists for this to occur and is widely used. The alternative is to not build anything. Or have LIRR tracks going over Park Ave in midtown.

gabeman t1_jdn4aix wrote

Millions of gallons of water is pumped out of the subway system daily.

barbaq24 t1_jdmjtz8 wrote

Manhattan exists and is able to support all the buildings in such close proximity because of the bedrock known as Manhattan schist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan#Bedrock

There are several places where the schist rises above the ground, or outcroppings so you can see what lies beneath. New York is essentially built on a rocky mountain.

reddititty69 t1_jdmn1ai wrote

This place is a schist hole.

Silo-Joe t1_jdmolyr wrote

With a schist creek providing water.

Tsquare43 t1_jdmr5xj wrote

Will schist talking in this thread ever end?

An-Angel_Sent-By-God t1_jdmxd3e wrote

Oh no, do you find what these people are saying offensive? Better get a lawyer and drag them through the quartz.

IIAOPSW t1_jdngfwk wrote

No one is talking. You're schistophrenic.

Amphiscian t1_jdn8mtu wrote

I took a geology class once, and the professor told us the word to describe the intensity of the schist pattern in a rock is schistocity.

Philip_J_Friday t1_jdmgv6m wrote

Manhattan is basically solid bedrock, much of it exposed (or was before being built up).

tictac_93 t1_jdnxm8i wrote

They're inside solid rock down there, same deal for our tunnels between Manhattan and LI or the mainland. They just go right down into the bedrock.

Treat--14 t1_jdmmb73 wrote

Is that what bedrock looks like

fluffstravels t1_jdmyflx wrote

Dumb question probably but can someone explain to me how the weight of all the buildings doesn’t just crush down through the tunnels? It always astounds me this doesn’t happen ever and I’m always a little freaked out by the idea.

OrpheusNYC t1_jdn1y2l wrote

Manhattan bedrock is very close to the surface and extremely strong. It’s why the island can support the architecture that it does.

fluffstravels t1_jdn33v8 wrote

Right but like how strong - i hear bedrock all the time but it still seems really vague. Like is there a point where if it’s thinned out too much it’ll break?

poppenweiler t1_jdn8yeq wrote

Take a look at the Manhattan skyline sometime. You'll find this bedrock under the tall buildings but not under the shorter ones. That one big reason why the tall buildings are where they are.

ImJLu t1_jdnqirp wrote

> It has been widely believed that the depth to bedrock was the primary underlying reason for the clustering of skyscrapers in the Midtown and Financial District areas, and their absence over the intervening territory between these two areas.[150][151] However, research has shown that economic factors played a bigger part in the locations of these skyscrapers.[152][153][154]

From the Wikipedia article, sources are linked there

poppenweiler t1_jdns55k wrote

Consider me factchecked.

ImJLu t1_jdnukcc wrote

Lmao dw, I just happened to be reading the article (linked elsewhere in this thread) right before reading your comment lol

Tall-Ad5755 t1_jecswka wrote

It makes more sense that the downtown was built. And then a less dense area to support that. And instead of replacing all that low density (and the best neighborhoods in hindsight) they just expanded above that area. Explains the age too; lower Manhattan is 400 years old while midtown started building up in the late 1800s.

Tall-Ad5755 t1_jecsfpq wrote

It’s so poetic that a grand city was built on top of all that schist.

As if it was always meant to be.

drmctesticles t1_jdop8ox wrote

They redid the foundations for the buildings above the caverns

GeorgeMagnus t1_jdqd8ud wrote

looking uptown you will see a cut off, an area where the sky rises stop. This is because the bedrock ends. No skyscrapers in Harlem, for example.

TSCHWEITZ t1_jdn22ih wrote

Went down here back in 2016 and it looked a lot like this. It is absolutely insane to me that the end product looks like what it does after seeing what they started with. As much ire as this product drew from the general public, this is still an engineering marvel.

RedditSkippy t1_jdmfzbr wrote

What am I looking at? Is this a sewer tunnel?

AltaBirdNerd t1_jdmgugf wrote

Grand Central Madison lowest platform level. It hasn't looked like that for maybe 5 years.

TSCHWEITZ t1_jdnbl4g wrote

There are actually a series of unground rivers under nyc. I work at GCT and we actually have to pump this water out or the basement would be completely under water.

stadiumjay t1_jdnhi8m wrote

I've been here so many times in video games 😂

nycjedi t1_jdmuuri wrote

Looks like Lx Lugers place

goodbyebluenick t1_jdn3qog wrote

The wrestler? I assume you mean Lex Luthor in the Christopher Reeves Superman flick.

NateSiebertt t1_jdn5lo8 wrote

I’ll bet they can find remnants of trade center dust down there

TheGreatRao t1_jdnaq5n wrote

Somewhere, somehow, Gene Hackman is plotting a killer real estate deal.

kyeelee t1_jdnbf1f wrote

Saw this in Daredevil.

DarkWebX t1_jdnvjmd wrote

Wow, I love the open area concept of this apartment. Surely this is a hidden gem!

999999008 t1_jdqkh54 wrote

I couldn't even bring myself to stand in that room for a minute Jesus that scary

bsanchey t1_jdn2xia wrote

There are alligators in that water.

msxsnatcher t1_jdn8wmz wrote

Did somebody think of Futurama?

Tr0llzor t1_jdnbnh8 wrote

Wait till they find the dragon

Rob_T_Firefly t1_jdnglpp wrote

There are even more stories than that beneath Manhattan since I accidentally forgot my copy of Stephen King's Skeleton Crew on the subway.

Space_Cowboy10859 t1_jdnje9f wrote

What a nice location for a zombie apocalypse or Eric Adams 2nd term election bid.

MacsTek t1_jdnkscw wrote

Futurama tho

DawgsWorld t1_jdnoc31 wrote

Let’s sell tourists pool passes.

imlilyhi t1_jdns5nw wrote

Looks exactly like the water you’d find near the beach on Coney Island.

Albedo100 t1_jdntno4 wrote

Why is the water green? I'm assuming with no sunlight, it can't be algae growth.

Hedonic_Monk_ t1_jdo3xqn wrote

Wait is this the same green ooze that keeps popping up in subways? What is that shit?

TonkaButt t1_jdo7gr9 wrote

Was half expecting a river of pink slime.

Pintexxz t1_jdo7y8c wrote

That green liquid is literally straight outta mutant ninja turtles

sutisuc t1_jdodi6j wrote

So that’s the secret of the ooze

TrashApocalypse t1_jdog79z wrote

Ohh shit, no, that’s the set of Futurama

LaSage t1_jdogzmw wrote

Reminds me of Lex Luther's underground laire

EmpireFW t1_jdoscvh wrote

Isn't that where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live?

guyinthechair1210 t1_jdpwxde wrote

so this is where spider-man fought against doctor connors.

NatLawson t1_jdr2bz4 wrote

I am Vinz, Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer...Volguus Zildrohoar, Lord of the Seboullia. Are you the Gatekeeper?

grandzu t1_jdrgkze wrote

See 14 dump trucks go thru?

s1l1c0n3 t1_jdrn7iy wrote

It's like the actual Batcave

parke415 t1_jdvu4ua wrote

So this is where supervillains build their secret underground lairs...

gerd50501 t1_jdmvy8c wrote

what is this? is this part of the sewer?

red__what t1_jdmlgab wrote

City should monetize this and put the money into MTA

−5