Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

1600hazenstreet t1_iuf7xty wrote

Saw a lady with small child openly smoking a blunt in subway station. i guess they only care about violent crimes and everything else is okay.

stork38 t1_iug9td9 wrote

That's actually not a crime

lucyisnotcool t1_iuhgzf0 wrote

>That's actually not a crime

The New York State Clean Indoor Air Act actually does prohibit smoking and vaping on "public means of mass transportation, including subways, underground subway stations, and, when occupied by passengers, buses, vans, taxicabs and limousines" and "ticketing, boarding and waiting areas in public transportation terminals".

So, yeah, someone smoking in the station probably is a crime. Clearly not on the same level as violent crime, but still illegal.

stork38 t1_iuhhrcy wrote

Again, not a crime.

"The enforcement officer for a city or county health department or State Health Department can assess a fine of up to $2,000 for each violation."

Smoking in the subway is just a ticket (violation of the MTAs rules)

lucyisnotcool t1_iuhi4g9 wrote

Thank you for clarification!

• awaits deployment of pre-election surge of State Health Department officers to the subway system *

JerryFartcia t1_iufl3ld wrote

Out of all the crimes that can happen....that's pretty low on the fucking list. Clutch those pearls harder.

−4

Grass8989 t1_iufv5gm wrote

Yea, why have a functioning civilized society, it’s not like we pay some of the highest taxes in the country or anything.

JerryFartcia t1_iufvh1a wrote

If you think smoking a blunt signals the breakdown of society, idk what to tell you

−4

Grass8989 t1_iufvrab wrote

Smoking a blunt (or anything) in an enclosed train car or platform is an extremely selfish douchebag move. No amount of virtue signaling will change that.

JerryFartcia t1_iufwa9b wrote

Whos virtue signaling? Lol. Words have meaning. You should learn them.

Yes, it is an extremely selfish, douchebag thing to do. Never said it wasn't. I said it was low priority. Jesus, slow down and read better.

−8

Grass8989 t1_iufwlpk wrote

You’re the one who excused it. The OP never said it was the only crime, or the most important crime, they just pointed out that it’s ridiculous and should be enforced and then you snarkily called them a “pearl clutcher”. But okay.

JerryFartcia t1_iufxiza wrote

Nope, wrong again. Never excused it. Getting sick of your putting words in my mouth. I said it was low on the list of priorities.