Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

GratefulDawg73 t1_iueeykl wrote

Anecdotal, but while at Fulton Street yesterday, I watched two female cops dancing for most of the 10 minutes I was down there.

robrklyn t1_iufv4r0 wrote

Taking a break from playing on their phones.

iamiamwhoami t1_iugozrp wrote

People always complain about this, but I've seen this maybe once. Makes me think this concern is overblown.

−8

robrklyn t1_iuh9hjc wrote

My husband rides the trains every day. He has a game where he takes the pics (that Adams asked for) and sends them to me. I have dozens. I also see it on the rare occasion I take the train. I am also a city employee. I would have lost my damn job if I was ever on my phone like that.

bisonrbig t1_iuidb2i wrote

I see it every single time I see a cop on a train or in a subway station.

matzoh_ball t1_iuifyfj wrote

Better than being assholes for no reason I guess..

But honestly, as long as they're present it may do *something* in preventing crime, even if they're dancing

sanspoint_ t1_iuep1sa wrote

They're gonna bust some churro ladies and some fare hoppers, and call it a success. Meanwhile, nutjobs threatening people on the platform will be ignored in favor of getting a high score at Candy Crush

beautifulcosmos t1_iufnng3 wrote

The churro ladies and the mango ladies should form a multi-borough crime watch.

Better-Use t1_iufsuon wrote

Time to get off reddit, you literally listed every Reddit stereotype on /r/NYC for cops.

stork38 t1_iug9pku wrote

He forgot to add that they did it all while parked in the bike lane

PhillyFreezer_ t1_iugf92i wrote

…maybe that’s because people see this literally all the time lol? Do you ride the subway at all? These aren’t false stereotypes

iamiamwhoami t1_iugp4vj wrote

I actually never see this and I ride the subways every day. I only ever see people on this sub complain about it, which makes me think it's just regular Reddit cop bashing.

−1

Bkgrouch t1_iuf2gf4 wrote

Candy crush? No no no those phones are used for logging things they don't carry notepads and pencils any more 🥴

Silo-Joe t1_iuf3j4t wrote

I think this will be a temporary boost of police officers. Right after the elections, there will be fewer of them there.

ioioioshi t1_iuf7g8x wrote

Yup, the budget can’t sustain all this overtime.

Grass8989 t1_iufkh61 wrote

It’s funds specifically from the state, the governor could petition Washington to provide more funds if necessary. This isn’t part of the NYPDs budget.

franticredditperson t1_iufq3nk wrote

Instead of having a boost in officers, how about a boost in the requirements and discipline of existing officers? But of course Adams doesn't want to do that to help his police friends out

Grass8989 t1_iufxuty wrote

How about you be the change we need and join the NYPD, they are hiring. If all of the “policing experts” from Reddit joined the NYPD we would have a perfect police department!

FrankFriendo t1_iugq9qa wrote

Or they just hired better people and held them to a higher standard?

Grass8989 t1_iugr4xg wrote

It might surprise you, but people aren’t exactly lining up to be a cop these days.

RE5TE t1_iugyahk wrote

36K people isn't a lot of people to you?

🤔🤔🤔

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/ccrb/policy/data-transparency-initiative-mos.page

Silo-Joe t1_iuily7h wrote

RE5TE t1_iuir5m6 wrote

Do you know what the normal amount of quits and retirements in a year is? This chart only has "quits", which makes it seem much larger.

It's 2000 total usually. So this year is looking like it'll be 3000-4000 with the extra quits. 11% turnover instead of 6%. That's nothing.

Anyone who thinks these are the "best and brightest" leaving is stupid. Anyone who leaves before their pension without a good reason is also stupid. Good riddance to the bottom 11%.

Grass8989 t1_iujgwxp wrote

Also, the people that are joining are largely PoC, no one talks about how we have probably the most diverse police dept on the country. Gotta love white elitist that scream that PoC police officers are somehow “racist”.

RE5TE t1_iujm05e wrote

You said

>people aren’t exactly lining up to be a cop these days

Now they are, and they're diverse? Make up your mind man.

Grass8989 t1_iujmpn5 wrote

Of the people that are applying *. Obviously there aren’t 0 people applying to be police officers.

−1

mahabraja t1_iuhijwo wrote

If I'd imagine what someone who knows what the bottom of a boot tastes like was thinking, it sounds just like your comment.

−4

MoosesAndMeese t1_iugw706 wrote

2/10 unoriginal line. Obviously you don't have any original thoughts of your own.

If you don't like crime, why don't you become a criminal yourself and show all these bad criminals how to be good criminals?

See how stupid you sound? Smartest bootlicker one can possibly find in the wild right here

−6

Grass8989 t1_iuiz1z4 wrote

You live in Tennessee.

MoosesAndMeese t1_iujvj81 wrote

Yup and we have a fuck load of cops always around, yet still a higher violent crime rate than NYC. I see more cops than ever but crime rates haven't changed

Also I'm from the NYC metro

Silo-Joe t1_iugfxsc wrote

That seems more difficult. Most don’t want the overtime as I understand it, based on the PBA comments.

RSRename t1_iue8gt5 wrote

Pretty ironic how I just walked this tunnel on the way to work and there was a man actively shooting up.

Infinite_Carpenter t1_iuf6mq1 wrote

Sounds like we have a health care issue too.

myassholealt t1_iugbx1p wrote

One we as a nation are not willing to address. Cause to keep the current healthcare system would require high taxes to pay for the cost of treatment for addicts who have no means or healthcare. Americans don't like taxes.

And to overall the healthcare system so it's not so expensive or difficult to get consistent treatment would require corporations lose their stronghold on an industry that's been a goose that lays platinum eggs. And not only will corporations not do that, American people will fight on the corporations' behalf as well.

MoosesAndMeese t1_iugx9eh wrote

Americans would rather have the worst and most expensive healthcare in the developed world than see a poor person they think doesn't 'deserve' it get any healthcare.

RE5TE t1_iugyw3i wrote

This is true. It wouldn't require "high taxes" to pay for better addiction treatment. Our taxes are already paying for overdose treatment or crime that comes from drug addiction.

The treatment solves the problem earlier and cheaper. Maybe that's the key. Don't focus on the "raising taxes". Focus on "cutting healthcare costs". Cut our healthcare costs with universal healthcare!

MoosesAndMeese t1_iuh1lka wrote

It's true. Over half of Americans avoid their regular doctor visits because of cost, which only makes it worse because they end up waiting until the issue has already manifested, thus driving the cost higher.

In addition, somewhere between a quarter and a third of America's total healthcare costs don't even go towards healthcare. It's all the bloat and complication that private insurance companies cause, just the natural effect of adding extra unnecessary middlemen who want their own profits.

Medicare for all isn't expensive. It would reduce total costs for everyone and shift the cost from average people into taxes, and all we would need is a functioning tax system that ultra rich people can't dodge with legal money laundering.

Infinite_Carpenter t1_iuhqlv1 wrote

I’m not sure why you singled out addicts but yes.

myassholealt t1_iui09tz wrote

>was a man actively shooting up.

Because it was the specific context of this comment chain.

Infinite_Carpenter t1_iui1x72 wrote

Gotcha. Just remember addicts aren’t costing the system though. It’s the system administration that’s costing the USA. Healthcare profits are a sham and simply exploiting Americans.

putney t1_iueolfe wrote

For nearly three years, we had a law about wearing masks on the subway. Who never wore masks? The popo.

I don’t for a second trust NYPD to do a thing: they’re low IQ morons with guns

Grass8989 t1_iuebtlm wrote

In all seriousness, this is an article about a specific initiative that the governor/mayor just started, hardly “fear mongering”, and definitely warrants discussion.

Shawn_NYC t1_iuew3wz wrote

I must confess to being rather insulted that I had to listen to 2 years of people gaslighting us that subway crime was all in our heads only for them to belatedly ineffectually spend millions on a "surge" in a panic.

Trueloove t1_iuh4ey9 wrote

That's because NY was empty then, now there is tourists, students and workers coming back so.. Now it's time to pretend to do something.

nonmaterialgirl55 t1_iug2xao wrote

The more police I see, the better I feel. I hope the impact isn't just cosmetic and they'll keep it up.

RecommendationOld525 t1_iugy3ow wrote

The more police I see, the less safe I feel, especially when I’m in a crowded subway station and they’re holding semi-automatic rifles. :)

EDIT: Glad to know y’all don’t worry at all about being a victim of police violence considering all the downvotes I’ve gotten. Must be nice to live in that world.

−9

the_bionic_investor t1_iugu7uj wrote

I wish we could bring back involuntary mental health holds, we need a better solution than just criminalizing mental health episodes.

PoorFilmSchoolAlumn t1_iuefi31 wrote

Nothing eases my tension like the presence of police.

ctindel t1_iueqmdg wrote

Police walk and drive all around my neighborhood and don’t stop people openly dealing drugs, I don’t think the criminals of this city have anything to worry about.

againblahisnothere t1_iug05yw wrote

It’s because they can’t. This is exactly what the DiBlasio administration wanted…https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/dy8k97/how-new-york-quietly-ended-its-street-drug-war

NetQuarterLatte t1_iuggs6w wrote

It's kind of amazing that De Blasio and others in the party believe that normalizing severe drug abuse is somehow a progressive policy.

In reality, they are implementing policies to bring back the 1800s, when as much as 1 out of 200 people in the US was addicted to an opioid. Then it took us almost a century (with drug trades by colonial powers, opium wars and more) to realize the damage such drug abuse can cause to a society.

There's a valid point on not criminalizing weed and such that I strongly agree with.

However, I disagree with the extreme we have today: allowing severe drug abuse to the point of causing damage to our society (which we are just starting to witness) is anything but progressive. This is regressive as fuck (1800s kind of regressive).

Grass8989 t1_iugi2rc wrote

Not wanting to normalize hardcore drug use has now become a “right wing” ideology.

wherearemypaaants t1_iugms80 wrote

The point is that severe drug addiction is not the purview of the police and arresting people for low level drug crimes is an enormous waste of your tax dollars and police resources.

−2

ctindel t1_iug1f4d wrote

#sad

I can’t wait to leave this crumbling city.

againblahisnothere t1_iug2jz9 wrote

I hope you find your new home and are happy. No sarcasm.

I’m sticking it out in hopes it will get better.

molasses_and_asses t1_iuisjr6 wrote

"I’m sticking it out in hopes it will get better." They're not going to until people start demanding better. That's why elections matter.

People should want the place they've lived their whole lives and had roots to be livable.

ctindel t1_iug354u wrote

I still gotta convince my wife to leave. She grew up here so it’s not going well so far.

I don’t know if it will make me happy but I’ll have more money and won’t be picking up needles from my stoop. No mortgage and a shitload less in taxes opens up a lot of options to come back to the city for long weekends and avail ourselves of cultural options.

Would probably just keep the house here and rent it out so it’s not like a 1-way door; if we hate it we could always come back.

I too would like to see it get better but I think wfh is the game changer here. More and more businesses and people will leave and the city will continue a downward slide, that’s my prediction anyway.

againblahisnothere t1_iug6bet wrote

I grew up here. It’s hard to leave family- it’s why I don’t see myself leaving anytime soon.

Are you planning on having kids? I feel like that could be a good reason to leave. I can’t imagine having kids and worrying about their safety. I wouldn’t be ok with them seeing open drug use.

And yeah you can always come back if you don’t like it.

ctindel t1_iug7es6 wrote

I grew up in CA and had no problem leaving family. We already have 4 kids, she doesn’t want to leave because she likes the schools they’re in for now. Depending on what happens when they have to do the middle school application bullshit might change her mind, or not who knows. Most people are just afraid to start fresh and she’s one of them, I’ve always been unusual in my ability to just up and go where life’s opportunities are and cut losses when things aren’t as good as they used to be.

Grass8989 t1_iues1cv wrote

A “victimless crime”

−6

ctindel t1_iues8v3 wrote

It’s victimless until the corner boys start shooting at each other like they did a few months back.

I don’t have a problem with people selling drugs I just don’t think we should allow them to do it on the street.

Grass8989 t1_iuetbpa wrote

Correct, but that’s the progressives take on essentially every crime outside of murder.

−2

thisisnotarealperson t1_iuiyuls wrote

The subway crimes people are worried about are shovings, assaults, and theft, right? How does an increase in police in the system keep you safer if one isn't standing right next to you at all times? How is this not a band aid and/or security theatre?

Quentin-Code t1_iueqvu8 wrote

Looking at the picture illustrating the article my first reaction was “uhhh… the subway I take every day really look like an apocalyptic dirty place”

iamiamwhoami t1_iugpe2a wrote

It's impossible for people in this sub to be happy. People complain about crime in the subway and when the government does something about it they complain about that too. Admit ya'll just want to complain regardless of what's actually happening.

i_promiss_2b_nice t1_iujtt99 wrote

Today in flushing I came across a woman with no pants or underwear on clearly having mental issues. Called 911 for EMTs and like 20 cops showed up. Figured they took her to the hospital but damn if I didn’t see her two hours later in Skyview Mall amongst all the kids trick or treating. Wish I knew why shit like this is just allowed and largely ignored in our city

1600hazenstreet t1_iuf7xty wrote

Saw a lady with small child openly smoking a blunt in subway station. i guess they only care about violent crimes and everything else is okay.

stork38 t1_iug9td9 wrote

That's actually not a crime

lucyisnotcool t1_iuhgzf0 wrote

>That's actually not a crime

The New York State Clean Indoor Air Act actually does prohibit smoking and vaping on "public means of mass transportation, including subways, underground subway stations, and, when occupied by passengers, buses, vans, taxicabs and limousines" and "ticketing, boarding and waiting areas in public transportation terminals".

So, yeah, someone smoking in the station probably is a crime. Clearly not on the same level as violent crime, but still illegal.

stork38 t1_iuhhrcy wrote

Again, not a crime.

"The enforcement officer for a city or county health department or State Health Department can assess a fine of up to $2,000 for each violation."

Smoking in the subway is just a ticket (violation of the MTAs rules)

lucyisnotcool t1_iuhi4g9 wrote

Thank you for clarification!

• awaits deployment of pre-election surge of State Health Department officers to the subway system *

JerryFartcia t1_iufl3ld wrote

Out of all the crimes that can happen....that's pretty low on the fucking list. Clutch those pearls harder.

−4

Grass8989 t1_iufv5gm wrote

Yea, why have a functioning civilized society, it’s not like we pay some of the highest taxes in the country or anything.

JerryFartcia t1_iufvh1a wrote

If you think smoking a blunt signals the breakdown of society, idk what to tell you

−4

Grass8989 t1_iufvrab wrote

Smoking a blunt (or anything) in an enclosed train car or platform is an extremely selfish douchebag move. No amount of virtue signaling will change that.

JerryFartcia t1_iufwa9b wrote

Whos virtue signaling? Lol. Words have meaning. You should learn them.

Yes, it is an extremely selfish, douchebag thing to do. Never said it wasn't. I said it was low priority. Jesus, slow down and read better.

−8

Grass8989 t1_iufwlpk wrote

You’re the one who excused it. The OP never said it was the only crime, or the most important crime, they just pointed out that it’s ridiculous and should be enforced and then you snarkily called them a “pearl clutcher”. But okay.

JerryFartcia t1_iufxiza wrote

Nope, wrong again. Never excused it. Getting sick of your putting words in my mouth. I said it was low on the list of priorities.

FrenchFryFatale t1_iufx9mk wrote

Every time that stupid nypd commissioner announcement comes on I rage a little inside.

Zay93 t1_iui0id5 wrote

Until you keep people in jail nothing will change

JeanLucX t1_iuj91yv wrote

They need to make sure nobody could enter without actually paying. I seen kids jumped over the MTA thingy all the time to skip on fare. They can put doors or bars there and make sure there will be maybe two entrances only and put some MTA ppl there to make sure ppl can't enter without paying. I bet that will reduce the crime rate. But ultimately, the city needs to solve its homeless problem. Moving them from the subway to the street won't actually solve anything. If anything, it will only make matter worse. You can avoid them by not riding the subway but it is hard to avoid them on the street.

aajval t1_iufzbfd wrote

What happens when you spray raid in the kitchen , they go to the living room. It would be nice if instead of announcing they just told us the following day or following week how effective they were at catching them in the act and arresting them. Right now a bunch of criminals or reorganizing their calender for the week. What happened to the element of surprise . I hope if I call you on a domestic dispute you don’t call the person I’m Complaining about and let him Know you are on your way. I’m happy you are going into the subway system but if you have no arrest, then I know the criminals are lurking outside more then ever. Perhaps you can have police on standby in key areas outside and when a crime happens, instead of sending 13 police officers send 2 or 4 and perhaps some of those people sitting around the precinct that are not officers to join them if necessary just so that there is a larger presence. They can just sit in the car if necessary. A more practical solution would be to concentrate on feeding the poor and cracking down on all illegal motorist . Implementing a law that any crime committed using any type of vehicle would be grounds for permanent seizure of those vehicles. These people are committing crimes on these bicycles and scooters with no license plates on them. They are almost impossible to catch even if robbery happened in the presence of police because they escape going up one way streets through traffic which police cars cannot travel through as quickly which is why there are so many of them. One time I was at the gas station a bunch of those bikes showed up, perhaps that’s a good place to get them. Focus on the larger gas stations so that they would be forced to drive further which can make things more uncomfortable for them and provide you with strategic places where you can do a check point which won’t be a violation of there rights since everyone is required to have license plates.

ShadownetZero t1_iugz4cb wrote

I don't get why people are shitting on this before seeing the results.

Would you prefer nothing be done??

PorchHonky t1_iui39v9 wrote

Just spent the weekend in western PA and I am way more terrified of America and Americans then I am of subway crime.

i_promiss_2b_nice t1_iujtf0v wrote

Won’t work at all if the worst that happens is they get a summons and can be back on the train the same day.

arbenp t1_iugarbo wrote

Oh darn I might have to start paying

−2

Peachqueen1994 t1_iuhzxq4 wrote

It's not. The police aren't doing anything now. Adding more police, cameras, etc are not going to fix the problem. You can't displaced the homeless and be shock that they are taking over the subway (eric adams). The homeless have been telling us that the shelters are not safe. They rather sleep on the streets then a shelter. Obviously, people with mental health issues need treatment. Putting them in jail isn't going to do anything.

In order for subway crime to decrease, homelessness and mental health crisis needs to be fix. The problem is no one wants to pay for it. Our government officials don't want to create programs or put effective systems in place to solve the problem. Until that happens, new yorkers are the one being targeted on the subway.

−2

virtual_adam t1_iuf9k8g wrote

Maybe because

• there is barely any crime to crack down on in the stations

• the little crime there is, is limited to a ~5 second response time within ~20 feet. so we literally need a cop ready to sprint every arms length

And no, a disheveled man who looks like they haven’t showered in a month yelling about time travel isn’t a crime and they can’t stop that. Even though some of you feel that’s a crime personally committed against them

−9

Grass8989 t1_iufaetc wrote

What about the man mumbling to himself that hes “going to fucking kill everyone”.

Sickpup831 t1_iufnixv wrote

What crime would you arrest him for?

−3

Grass8989 t1_iufr64a wrote

Ideally he’d been placed on a psych hold, but if directed at some one, definitely menacing. It’s also against the MTAs code of conduct to act aggressively so removal from the system at the very least.

Sickpup831 t1_iufssdl wrote

Then he’s out on the streets mumbling that he’s going to kill everyone. And hospitals don’t hold people for very long unless they’re being violent or accepting the help. There is literally no place or actions to be taken against these people under our current laws until they actually hurt someone.

−4

Grass8989 t1_iuft5lx wrote

Probably better on the streets then on a platform where someone can be shoved into an oncoming train, or in an enclosed train car.

ELnyc t1_iufslk9 wrote

Idk if it’s fair to say that there’s barely any crime to crack down on (maybe it is?) but your second point is definitely an issue. Whenever I actually encounter someone who seems dangerous (eg pacing the platform yelling in people’s faces about how he’s going to kill all the [insert various racial/ethnic/religious slurs], there are never any cops around, it’s hard to call 911 or something with the person standing right there flipping their shit, I don’t know what I would say if I did call (“there’s an angry racist down at 34th st but he’s not saying anything to me personally and he hasn’t actually done anything to anyone yet”?), and by the time I could go and get someone in the station, the train would come and everyone involved would be long gone. I’m also always concerned about getting the police involved and somehow making the whole situation worse.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue4v39 wrote

More crime posts from the fearmonger group. u/pichuLovy Posting dailynews crime articles rapid fire style to scare you all. Ignore him and this targeted campaign. We see you for what you are dude time to move along.

−19

drpvn t1_iue648o wrote

Just block him and it will be like he and his posts don’t exist.

PichuLovy OP t1_iue8z25 wrote

I would prefer people debate me on why they disagree with my thinkings, but some people would just rather rely on an ad hominem argument.

[deleted] t1_iueaggj wrote

[deleted]

Fact-Cyborg t1_iueax30 wrote

I am not here to debate. I am here to point out fearmongering when I see it. That is it.

−3

drpvn t1_iueb4qe wrote

Oops, I confused you and OP.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue6woz wrote

These people need to be rebuffed. Not just ignored.

−13

NetQuarterLatte t1_iue7qwi wrote

But you do know that the best way to come back to those crime posts is to prevent crimes in the first place?

drpvn t1_iueayeu wrote

My own theory is that the a lot of the people who complain about posters like OP would be bummed if they stopped posting, because they enjoy fighting with them.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iueba2c wrote

Nah, I would be thrilled. This isn't something I commonly do. You can check my post history. I only recently started this because it is a problem I am fed up with. Go back a day or two and you wont see comments like these from me.

−4

drpvn t1_iuebh3m wrote

I don’t want to check your post history. But I still think you’d be bummed. I think you’re enjoying this thread. Mind you, I can’t prove it.

Edit: I did scroll back through your comments. Seems like about half your comments are calling another commenter an idiot or a moron or impugning their motives in some way. So this thread seems pretty on brand for you. This all reinforces my view that you really do enjoy calling people names on Reddit.

PichuLovy OP t1_iue7iym wrote

I'd love to know what "targeted campaign" I'm running here.

I post things that concern me and what I find interesting. If you don't like that I post those things, then you can feel free to block me.

I mostly post things that are pro-democracy. If that concerns you so much, then just say so. Obviously, I am also concerned about crime that occurs in the city where I live. However, I don't believe the new plan that will flood the subway with cops is a good solution.

Again, feel free to block me if it bothers you so much. However, I would rather you criticize the policy itself, and not just the person (me) who posts the article about the policy.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue824g wrote

This isn't about what concerns you this is political for you. A quick look into your post history shows that. You coming here to spread fear in an attempt to gain your party more voters/increase turnout through outrage is the campaign. Go Astroturf elsewhere.

PichuLovy OP t1_iue8d0s wrote

Are you suggesting Kathy Hochul is paying me to post news in /r/nyc and other news subreddits?

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue8waq wrote

Are you pretending you are pro hochul? Yet are here posting about crime the major area she is suffering in when it comes to recent polling? To be clear i am suggesting you are pro zeldin. Is he paying you?

PichuLovy OP t1_iue9833 wrote

I am pro-Hochul. As I said previously, I don't think the plan to flood the subway with cops is going to work.

Just because I support someone doesn't mean I have to agree with every single one of their policies.

Again, I would rather you provide an argument for why this policy is going to work rather than just attacking me and the article itself.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue9lm3 wrote

You tried to post 2 separate crime articles to this sub three times in under a day. One was removed. This has nothing to do with the content of the article.

edit: was not within an hour but in the same day.

PichuLovy OP t1_iuea67p wrote

Those were both the same NY Daily News article. I believed the original was automatically removed, for some reason, and tried to post the Yahoo article, which is just a summary of the same exact article (with credit given by Yahoo). I've tried contacting the moderators to see why it was removed and how to prevent it from happening next time, but no response yet.

Again, are you going to provide an argument for why you believe the policy of flooding the subway with cops is going to work, or will you just keep on attacking me and my post history?

Fact-Cyborg t1_iueakwr wrote

Yes this one was posted twice once removed the other is from 4 hours ago about a stabbing. I am not arguing about the subway crime. I am arguing about your intent in posting these articles. THIS IS ABOUT YOUR POST HISTORY. It is not a discussion about crime. Stop desperately trying to astroturf.

PichuLovy OP t1_iuebfr5 wrote

>It is not a discussion about crime

Well, that's what I posted this article for on here.

Fact-Cyborg t1_iue9fjj wrote

Of course you don't need to agree with every policy, but I doubt your motives and am unsure of who you really support at this point.

PichuLovy OP t1_iueayda wrote

I told you, quite clearly, who I support. It's up to you whether you want to believe that or not, but it should be quite clear based on my post history that I'm not some 1-month old account that exclusively posts in /r/conservative and doesn't live in New York City or even New York State.

I mentioned this in an earlier comment on another thread, but I did lurk in this subreddit quite a bit, and only now have really started participating due to the importance of this election. To be completely honest with you, I do plan on lurking here again after the election.

Grass8989 t1_iueb6fc wrote

We should also not allow posts that immediately demonize the NYPD without due investigation right? That’s preemptively spreading a false narrative as well, right?

Edit: And the downvotes just prove the hipocracy of the “abolish crime posts” crowd

Fact-Cyborg t1_iuebd9x wrote

That is right. Anything else or are you satisfied?

Grass8989 t1_iuebymm wrote

I’m glad you agree, but I promise the rest of the mob that want to abolish crime posts on this sub don’t.

[deleted] t1_iuerc3l wrote

yes New Yorkers are convinced that the only way to be safe is to have cops grope every man of a certain age and complexion every time they step outside

−19

Grass8989 t1_iuerlh8 wrote

Yea, that doesn’t happen.

[deleted] t1_iuerqqn wrote

Right, it was ruled an unconstitutional practice but not without lawsuits and effort. Lots of New Yorkers resent that and want to bring it back

−12