Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Gohanto t1_j1msko5 wrote

“In January 2020, De Vouno was docked five vacation days after he was accused of using his aerial talents to fly an NYPD spy plane in a penis-shaped route to send a message to a supervisor he was angry at.”

Not the point of the article but this is still hilarious.

freeradicalx t1_j1nmobd wrote

> an NYPD spy plane

I'm sorry but what the actual fuck? 😲

ConfidentClusterfuck t1_j1nolbf wrote

I think the concern is more with the “spy” part than the penis shaped flight path.

NuYawker t1_j1npcu7 wrote

Sure. And that's why I linked the article. It explains what the plane does and the penis story. 2 birds, 1 stone.

sonofaresiii t1_j1owo0m wrote

I think the reaction is more about why a city police force, even the NYPD, has a $4m spy plane.

The article doesn't really answer that question besides an off-hand mention about counterterrorism

which leaves me with the same question as the other guy: Why the hell does the NYPD have a $4m spy plane? Why are they running counter terrorism operations that requires a $4m spy plane, and what exactly are these counter terrorism operations?

This seems like a job for the feds. (And the article does say the feds paid for it, so I'm trying to connect some dots here and guess that maybe the NYPD had better resources in place so it was easier for the feds to just supplement that and hand off the operations to NYPD, but again... why? Why is the NYPD already better equipped to handle counter-terrorism than any federal agency?)

Unlikely-Opinion t1_j1pg4u3 wrote

Theres a story where the FBI "confiscate" surveillance equipment from NYPD .

ConfidentClusterfuck t1_j1pt82q wrote

Thank you! You put this much more eloquently than I did. The article acknowledges it but doesn’t go into much detail.

ratheismhater t1_j1t4s8t wrote

A 4 million dollar "spy plane" that's just a souped up Cesna, nonetheless

genius96 t1_j1nz292 wrote

NYPD is on par with some militaries in terms of spending and toys.

SBAPERSON t1_j1obufb wrote

They are about 10% of the candy crush leader boards as well

jaylay75 t1_j1o8c10 wrote

NYPD is larger than the FBI in terms of staffing and a larger budget.

Friendly_Average_122 t1_j1qzkuj wrote

I’m a big fan of his penis sky drawing as a passive aggressive comment to his boss

freeradicalx t1_j1nxc02 wrote

For scanning ships near the harbor for radiological weapons... Huh. Seems like something the navy or coast guard would be better suited for. Not that it doesn't seem like an important task but definitely not something I'm comfortable giving cops planes for, and the article illustrates why.

thatgirlinny t1_j1o8sq2 wrote

We’re completely bound by water. Leaving surveillance and investigation of same to Federal entities is kind of daft.

ZeBridgeIsOut5 t1_j1pbic8 wrote

I dunno, I think that seems like the common American cultural oversimplification that letting feds do stuff is automatically wrong.

Dozens of countries probably federally patrol their water borders perfectly well. Americans just often assume state and local control is better, even if it often isn't any more efficient or effective.

Often in stuff like this the city and state are forced to share responsibility because the feds are wildly and purposefully underfunded.

thatgirlinny t1_j1pjz3n wrote

I never sais I’m operating on an assumption that all Fed depts are inadequate; this is about both complementary and differing skill sets and priorities.

We need NYPD to have marine capabilities for myriad practical reasons. Bridge jumpers, accidental drownings, local crime investigations where perps involved the waterways? Local wins, and likely has a lower cost-per-investigation price than a Fed agency, who lack the relationships with other municipal resources to solve crimes, find a missing person, etc.

Ships registered to other countries in these waters? Large-scale rescues at sea? Fed agencies should handle with cooperation of NYPD Marine units.

Darth_JarJar300 t1_j1pz8sm wrote

Should the NYPD be disbanding their organized crime task forces too?

brownredgreen t1_j1qhq1n wrote

Forgot about the Bronx, huh?

thatgirlinny t1_j1r5k08 wrote

No water boundaries in the BX? You might consult a map, son.

brownredgreen t1_j1r62xc wrote

"completely bound by water"

The Bronx is not completely bound by water. Son.

thatgirlinny t1_j1rup33 wrote

It’s bound by water, and requires surveillance and protection. Don’t get your knickers caught in a dumb technicality,

LoneStarTallBoi t1_j1o5wsu wrote

combining cop entitled terror with pilot divas creates exactly the kind of bullshit you'd expect.

sincerelyhated t1_j1nqc2i wrote

Countdown until Elon does this for the gents at r/elonjettracker

maximumsettings t1_j1pas5y wrote

Honestly, when I hear “spy plane” I never imagine “single engine cessna”.

Sylvennn t1_j1tg514 wrote

The worst part of this whole thing is ending that sentence with a preposition.

Lacrosseindianalocal t1_j1ncsab wrote

Mike Down is by far the sexiest candidate for Nassau county executive. His past will enable him to cut through the corruption and end red light camera tickets.

−20

my_metrocard t1_j1n0neb wrote

Even if he wasn’t involved in the scheme, he had to have noticed something was amiss when there was an extra $1.5M floating around.

thatgirlinny t1_j1oat9f wrote

Well her scheme allowed plenty of public service employees to evade mandatory jabs and keep jobs others lost, so he knew.

Mattna-da t1_j1p08w1 wrote

Oh no the article said there was an investigation and the cops said the cop wasn’t involved in the criminal scheme in his house

InterscholasticPea t1_j1q0cvb wrote

It’s that simple. he is NYPD, he should have been questioning where all these money are coming in from. Million from a nurse salary?

This is what 20 years of corruption and entitlement would do to you.

myevillaugh t1_j1onz0k wrote

Assuming they were in accounts he had access to. Or it wasn't cash that his wife hid somewhere. He has plausible deniability here.

AbazabaYouMyOnlyFren t1_j1n6bgl wrote

Sure, he's not going to know anything about the 1.5 million in cash coming into the house... /s

That's a huge pile of bills, even if they were all 20$ that's still 75,000 of them.

ssn156357453 t1_j1msyit wrote

Wait is he fired for his wife’s crime?

PaperbagWriter__ t1_j1n3szf wrote

He didn’t get fired, he was consigned to desk duty. To my mind if the guys wife was involved in a $1.5m fraud it’s reasonable to question whether he had any involvement or just knew about it (that much money coming into the household and you don’t know?) and desk duty while you find out seems reasonable.

brianvan t1_j1nqpod wrote

When you are a newspaper that writes everything toward the point of view of cops from Long Island, desk duty is a public square castration. I thought the Constitution forbade cruel and unusual punishment! They shoulda just docked him 2 vacation days like any other cop who beats to death a misdemeanor suspect

ratheismhater t1_j1orgph wrote

Jesus... Fire this guy and take away his pension. It's not fucking hard to deal with the corrupt shit in this city.

InterscholasticPea t1_j1q0jwz wrote

He is just arrogant pos. The plane he flew to draw that picture is wasting tax payer dollar with fuel costs.

astrashe2 t1_j1n0mt6 wrote

I'm not completely certain that I remember the story correctly. But the city had told employees that they had to get vaccinated in order to keep their jobs. A lot of people, including many police officers, paid this guy's wife for cards that said they had been vaccinated when they hadn't.

I don't have any knowledge that this is what happened, but at the time, I thought that it seemed possible or likely that he, as a member of the NYPD, was bringing in the customers, and she, as a health care professional, was generating the cards.

jVCrm68 t1_j1nlhaf wrote

Didn’t she have access to the COVID vaccine database and actually entered the fake info into the system?

StrngBrew t1_j1nw8hx wrote

She owns a healthcare facility

> Julie De Vuono, owner of Wild Child Pediatric Healthcare in Amityville, was charged with forgery and offering a false instrument for filing, a felony. after she allegedly used her Long Island medical center to make $1.5 million by selling fake vaccine cards.

ccai t1_j1o6ogv wrote

Thorough investigations also need to be done on the individuals who got vaccinated there. I'm willing to bet good money plenty of his buddies on the NYPD and nearby forces went there for fake cards. Fire and charge any of the officers that won't get a "booster" (probably first actual dose for many) from a highly monitored facility. They are just as complicit in the fraud and anyone of them who actually got the vaccines shouldn't have any issue with it.

InterscholasticPea t1_j1q0zbs wrote

How do you prove that the individual knows? It’s a legitimate healthercare facility, not some Joe’s Deli. Anyone who got a fake card could just claimed they got jabbed there.

ccai t1_j1q2999 wrote

Anyone who genuinely thought they got the vaccine will likely want to be replaced the shot they weren't given. Boosters are a thing and according to actual science do work.

Anyone, especially any LEOs who faked it and is unwilling to get the shot again is likely a complicit piece of crap who committed fraud who should be fired and prosecuted. You can't 100% prove they didn't get it at the time of receiving the card, but if they aren't willing to get the vaccine again on record is pretty much guaranteed to have faked it in the first place and need to be purged out.

thatgirlinny t1_j1ob061 wrote

That’s exactly the story, and he as one of the public service employees who probably had a fake vaccine card, got to keep his job.

elizabeth-cooper t1_j1n13ez wrote

She hasn't even been convicted yet. It's fair enough to say that a police officer shouldn't be married to a felon, but so far it's just a charge.

Turbulent_Link1738 t1_j1n8d03 wrote

Well she wasn’t a felon when they got married. It’s unfair to fire him not for not divorcing her.

−7

sunflowercompass t1_j1nh9ek wrote

Funny how the bail reform opponents are all suddenly "innocent before proven guilty" when it's the right people being charged.

Turbulent_Link1738 t1_j1njl97 wrote

Nah she’s still going to prison. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she withheld knowledge of the money. People hide some crazy shit from their spouses

−7

ccai t1_j1ng8fr wrote

He is supposed to uphold the law, I highly doubt he didn't know she was committing fraud on a large scale. If he's willing to overlook that, there's plenty he's willing to overlook as well and therefore failing to do his job - uphold the damn law.

PandaJ108 t1_j1n1xio wrote

No, he essentially was regulated to desk duty since January (when wife was arrested) until he retired in August. He can’t associate with felons. If she is convicted either he and her better move out. But being regulated to desk duty in the as the process plays out seems fair. Though clearly he disagrees.

hornyjacks t1_j1nllsj wrote

> He can’t associate with felons.

But working for the biggest crime syndicate in New York was fine?

30gorillas t1_j1p5kam wrote

i am sorry for being that guy but the word you are looking for is relegated. to relegate is to consign or dismiss to an inferior rank or position. to regulate is to control or supervise by means of rules.

Beerbonkos t1_j1ofxy3 wrote

I don’t think he’s fired. Just assigned to desk duty. still getting paid. It takes a lot for NYPD to lose their job

hjablowme919 t1_j1pt68t wrote

Note: she was handing out phony vaccines cards to… members of the NYPD, among others. Her husband was absolutely involved.

_Maxolotl t1_j1n46h1 wrote

Good. And it's not enough. They made a lot of those fake vax cards.

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_j1ns9jt wrote

To be fair: there was a lot of fake vaccine crap in NYC. Likely accounting for most if not all of the higher than average vaccination rate.

Everyone knows a pharmacist who would inject into a garbage can and give you a card for a small fee. Dose was used, paperwork followed. Literally no way to catch this happening unless someone got greedy.

−18

An-Angel_Sent-By-God t1_j1o5lpo wrote

No, I don't know a pharmacist who was willing to commit fraud for a small fee. Perhaps you should reconsider the company you keep.

Refreshingpudding t1_j1o6ifw wrote

I don't know one but they busted a bunch. It is fair to assume there were a lot more that were not busted

Fun fact about the NYC vaccine database. When you log in it tells you it's illegal to use it for purposes of verifying employee vaccination status. The message was not there at the start of the pandemic.

ccai t1_j1q5i8q wrote

You'd be surprised. When I graduated I worked a weekend job at a Tribeca pharmacy to help pay back my loans as quickly as possible. The owner and pharmacist were 100% pill mills dispensing ridiculous amounts of amphetamines to their patients.

I had a couple of people come in for refills of Adderall XR 20mg after already receiving 15-18 months worth in about an 8 month span, some people on Vyvanse 50mg, 60mg, 70mg at the same time every single month. All had ridiculous documentation like lost or damaged doses in the system. I always refused to refill for those individuals and had them come back on a weekday when the owner and other pharmacist were around. Some don't give a shit and do it for a quick buck. After I saw it wasn't some one time fluke aka 3 patients in a single day trying to pull that shit with the tech confirming it wasn't abnormal, I immediately quit. I didn't want to risk my license, but apparently the supervising pharmacist was willing to do it. If they're willing to fuck with the DEA in plain sight as that info is recorded upon dispensing via PMP reporting databases, I doubt they cared about actually dispensing the vaccine if it made them great money doing so. You'll more likely see it among small independents, rather than CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid and the bunch.

And at my last pharmacist job before I made a career change, one of the silent partners at the independent heavily suggested I should start 'giving out the vaccine'. I readily refused and didn't hold a vaccination certification anyway so that ended the conversation real quick. While my friends and I wouldn't risk it I'm not too sure about every pharmacist as plenty have been caught fraudulently dispensing high dollar medications (4-5 figures/month) and not even bothering to order it nor inform the patients of the medication. At some point some Chinatown pharmacies were handing out HDTVs in exchange for a 3-6 month prescription of whatever high reimbursement cream was for the given months and other unethical highly illegal fraud.

It's a fucked up world out there right now with some of the shittiest reimbursement rates to date with PBMs working hard to steal the business themselves and keep a bigger share of the profits by switching people to in-house mail order. Keeping an independent pharmacy open with 100% legit business is ridiculously difficult without massive volumes, so a promising income stream with minimal work will attract the attention of the unscrupulous.

If you work in the field, you realize it's a small world... Even if you are in the company of decent people, word travels about shit like this.

DMCer t1_j1od6ol wrote

You must live in Long Island, not NYC.

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_j1ohzqz wrote

Nope. But everyone I know has a family member, friends and coworkers who had the hookup.

Anyone who wanted a vaccine card but didn’t want to get vaccinated had the option.

Which is more reason to not have sympathy for anyone who lost their job for not getting vaccinated. They did it purely as a political stance. Fuck em.

−9

UWTF t1_j1o91l4 wrote

Wish I had known this existed

−13

RepresentativeAge444 t1_j1nnvxc wrote

A lot of the comments under the article at the NYPost site are brain melting. What a cesspool of ignorance.

aced124C t1_j1p93lj wrote

Ohhh yeah plenty of them have fully brought into the yellow journalism that is the NYpost and some of them have been swimming in that cesspool for a verryyy long time lol Its a perfect echo chamber when you have people in closed of social groups with nice cushy sometimes union jobs (This part kills me the most, as a long time activist/member) that also watch Fox News.

[deleted] t1_j1nsvvv wrote

[deleted]

Refreshingpudding t1_j1o6p5o wrote

FDNY, sanitation and NYPD were about 50% vaccinated, I don't see any reason why they would have all folded since a lot of the antivax is political. The scale of fraud was huge

[deleted] t1_j1opw84 wrote

[removed]

−7

AirlockBebop t1_j1ovjln wrote

My niece in Cleveland died on the 9th of December of Covid related pneumonia. Big thanksgiving dinner and everyone got sick. I’m so tired of hearing it isn’t real. Feel free to have an opinion about the fraud doctor but please enough is enough is enough about Covid.

ratheismhater t1_j1orlgk wrote

Wake up bro! And probably learn how to read since you're probably at a grade 2 reading level if you somehow think germs aren't real, lol.

BxGyrl416 t1_j1pteuu wrote

A cop married to a woman committing vaccination fraud. Nooo. What are the chances of that? /s

builtfromthetop t1_j1o1mpt wrote

Ah yes, probably the same type of guy who says to just "obey the law!"

aced124C t1_j1p9vor wrote

When they're on the job and there's a chance you got a cell phone in your pocket recording a civilian interaction that's absolutely whats going to be said or implied in some way. Rules for thee not for me or however it goes lol its the worst when you have family friends that entirely approve of or joke about stuff like this in the profession. Though as a fellow islander I'm sure you have probably seen this already

NatLawson t1_j1or52y wrote

So we are supposed to believe you did not profit and were unaware and you did not promote any part of the fraud of your wife's medical business?

Prosecution rests, your honor.

OGhudso t1_j1pszyd wrote

Fuck the NYPD

MaroonSiesLessUno t1_j1p7zx3 wrote

Nothing a little tracing can’t solve to determine whether he used any of the 1.5M in proceeds

InterscholasticPea t1_j1q169i wrote

It’s funny the comments in NYPosts are completely opposite polar of the sentiments here.

DidjaNotice t1_j1srq65 wrote

Ultra-naive of anyone to imagine there aren’t invisible planes & drones flying above us to collect data and surveil 😆😆😆

Big_Game_Huntr t1_j1pxio2 wrote

Amazing to me how many people on this thread hate the fact that NYPD has a airplane for counterterrorism efforts…. Instead of thinking that there couldn’t be enough of those in the air.

−3

[deleted] t1_j1no80y wrote

[deleted]

−12

King9WillReturn t1_j1nsqgj wrote

>did not stop the transfer of COVID

This shows that you are completely full of shit. ^It never claimed that it would stop the transfer. Just that your odds of dying or filling the hospital would be greatly diminished. Maybe stop spreading bullshit Fox News/Trump/GQP talking points? It's been three years. You could have educated yourself by now.