Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SmurfsNeverDie t1_j3zh0jq wrote

I love these articles because they usually come a week or two before disaster and then everyone says that we got hit outta no where

thisismynewacct t1_j40wcx9 wrote

Don’t forget the alternative where they say we’re getting a class 3 kill storm and then we get an inch of snow.

Ok-Strain-9847 t1_j412u4j wrote

Then the Sanitation Dept gets blamed for not picking up the garbage while they run out of salt for the roads.

MrPhilNY101 t1_j41arpl wrote

Agreed, I love the weather forums , follow them during peak winter and hurricane season. In winter , without fail, moaning by posters about how terrible any winter is with no snow, the worst ever... Of course, two weeks later, the storm of the century.

Without fail.

SPNYC1983 t1_j41pd1t wrote

I really love snow and I hope they’re wrong. Few things make my dog happier than snow and we live right next to Central Park now. I’m dying for some playing in the snow mornings.

_Maxolotl t1_j3z8mky wrote

January and February in NYC are the peak snowfall months, not December, and we're not even halfway through January yet.

On the ten year average, January is a little snowier. On the 20 year average, February is a little snowier. So regardless of climate change and La Niña, just random chance could mean we don't get much snow by mid January.

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j3z8ysb wrote

The average normal snowfall amount till date is 7.4 inches. The latest date we’ve ever received measurable snow is Jan 29th and we’ll be reaching at least the 20th without measurable snow this season. This isn’t normal.

iv2892 t1_j3zvgnf wrote

Didnt we have some measurable snow around a week before Christmas. I don’t think it was even an inch , but the snow did stick . At least in parts of the Bronx and Manhattan

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j419udi wrote

Yes this is referring to central park’s measurement center which I believe is considered the ‘official’ NYC center, but other boroughs received a dusting back in early December

pandaappleblossom t1_j40eqqa wrote

yeah, i read an article saying its the least amount of snow since 1978 or something

sagrr t1_j41uxl3 wrote

If there’s been any year where Jan 29th was the latest date, wouldn’t that mean this is normal?

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j426uxa wrote

Not necessarily. Numbers are currently way below average and this is already the 6th longest we’ve gone in winter without measurable snow. It’s an outlier.

603er t1_j44pmwo wrote

Ok. It’s not normal. Meanwhile it’s snowing endlessly in Utah. What do I do with that information

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j401txd wrote

Sounds like denial to me. This is without a doubt the warmest January I’ve ever experienced and will likely be the warmest ever for the city. We’re almost halfway through the month and it hasn’t even gotten below freezing, never mind the snow. And it’s not just the first two weeks. Current conditions are unlikely to produce measurable snow over the next two weeks either.

Edit: data for NYC weather history in 2023, showing the minimum temperature of 33 degrees so far:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ny/new-york-city

_Maxolotl t1_j40vgz7 wrote

Oh I don't deny climate change at all, broadly, regionally, locally. Winters in the 90s were colder, I remember it quite clearly. And we have data that shows it too.

I just hesitate to blame it for a single anomalous situation that is (so far) within the bounds of normal variation.

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j41bzyu wrote

Oh sorry, I meant the kind of denial when you subconsciously don’t want to believe something because it’s so horrible.

−5

sagrr t1_j41v6oz wrote

Why do you think that the span of what you’ve experienced in your lifetime is indicative at all to what’s “normal?”

−2

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j420hc7 wrote

I’m actually a Geographer and one of my hobbies is studying historical weather data for the tri state area. If conditions hold, this will be the warmest January since records were kept, which I assure you is much longer than I’ve been alive.

sagrr t1_j420wze wrote

We’re not even halfway through January lol. And you referenced “your experience” in a prior post as a comparison point.

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j421ypv wrote

Based on the data I’ve seen and the current weather forecasts, I guarantee you this January will be in the top five warmest of all time. I’ll message you on February 1st to say I told you so.

sagrr t1_j4224c0 wrote

It was 9 degrees less than 1 week before New Years

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j422cjf wrote

Oh jeez a single data point that’s not even relevant to our conversation

sagrr t1_j422gxy wrote

Lol ok bud - let’s call it here. Have a nice day.

candcNYC t1_j40hsev wrote

It has definitely gotten below freezing. Maybe not daytime, though.

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j41b955 wrote

According to the data below, you’re wrong. January 2023 minimum temperature in NYC so far is 33 degrees on 1/8/23.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ny/new-york-city

candcNYC t1_j43wllm wrote

Lol, okay, calm down. So 33° and what was the official real feel with the wind? Says 15mph winds…. so definitely felt freezing when I walked my dog.

−1

Imhappy_hopeurhappy2 t1_j43ytby wrote

Lmao I didn’t realize we measured temperatures based on your feelings! Somebody tell water that it freezes when YOU say it freezes!

candcNYC t1_j44kl46 wrote

Lol, dang you really have a stick up your ass about this!

I’ll assume you’re being facetious and have seen “real feel” posted alongside measured temps.

−1

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_j402tij wrote

I’ve said this before.

Snow accumulation before the new year is atypical for NYC. Like a handful of times my entire life and most of those were a dusting.

We’re 12 days into the new year. Declaring the year snow free is like declaring the game over bottom of the first inning. There’s a lot of pitches to be thrown still.

We could still have a long miserable winter of 20 snow storms. I’d guess not given weather patterns. It’s been relatively dry. But it’s hardly over.

People are insane when they think NYC normally has snow around thanksgiving. That would be exceptional.

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j41916s wrote

It says in the article the average snowfall up to this point this season is 7.4 inches. Central Park has received 0 inches. This is abnormal.

Labiologie t1_j4580ro wrote

Idk I’ve only lived here for about 5 years and it’s happened at least twice before new years. 2018 had that big unexpected snowstorm in November, and last year there was a good amount of snow a week before Christmas. I don’t remember other years, but I’m sure it’s happened more than a handful of times in your life.

ctindel t1_j3zh257 wrote

I was outside wearing a t-shirt last week it was insane. But if it means I don't have to shovel snow, bring on the global warming.

−26

SheiraSeastar1993 t1_j40kvz2 wrote

You’ll be shoveling buckets of water out of your attic soon enough

ctindel t1_j40rq7i wrote

Does anybody shovel buckets of water?

I gotta imagine NY and the feds will create a seawall long before the water makes it to my neighborhood since I’m not in a flood zone.

−5

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j3yvb71 wrote

TLDR: Climate change resulting in rising average winter temperatures and La Nina resulting in storms not conducive to generating snow in the region

The latest we've ever gone without measurable snow is Jan 29, and it's looking like we'll blow past the record this winter season :\

rick6787 t1_j3yvmgv wrote

Where are you getting your 18 day forecast?

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j3yxeye wrote

The La Niña system stays strong and will stay strong for the rest of winter. Next 10-14 days are pretty warm overall. I’ll stick with my prediction.

jonishay8 t1_j3ywkw6 wrote

Same place he’s gotten all the other slush he’s spraying

−16

extragreensauce t1_j3z0vmf wrote

there was a day or two with light snow in December and some days with morning frost as well ...

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j3z940m wrote

The headline was shortened for Reddit but the article is discussing measurable snow

kraftpunkk t1_j3zquvu wrote

Our winter doesn’t start until the second half of January now. We’ll be seeing snow in February and March.

doodoobug46 t1_j40flet wrote

We need a snowpocalypse that shuts the city down for 2 days. Thats all I want. I'm not asking for much.

Lost_sidhe t1_j41hrat wrote

When was the last good snowpocalypse? I remember one I think in Feb 2009? And then the big one that went from DC to Boston was... 2016? I remember that one because I was at a conference in Chicago in February (I thought that was a cruel joke), and everyone at the conference flying back to the east coast got stuck in O'hare. (I lucked out because I'd attached a weekend in San Fran to my business trip before returning home) - and we had a pretty good storm at some point during COVID (early 2021? - I think we were all still in lockdown) - but it wasn't a snowpocalpyse.

Labiologie t1_j4586mb wrote

November 2018 had a bit of a snowpocalypse - it was only about 6” of snow but was completely unexpected, fucked the city up for a day.

doodoobug46 t1_j4ebty4 wrote

We had a snow storm that closed down njt and the mta in like 2019 bruh

werdnak84 t1_j3zshbg wrote

Snowfall not arriving until late January isn't new there. That's been the case for the past several years.

FrankBeamer_ OP t1_j419gxr wrote

This is not true

https://gothamist.com/news/how-nycs-2020-2021-snowfall-stacks-against-other-years

We have consistently, even in the ‘poor’ snowfall seasons like 2019-20, received some form of measurable snow prior to end January. This is the first time since the 70s we have received at maximum a dusting this late in the season (assuming it doesn’t snow the next 2 weeks, which it won’t per current weather patterns)

Labiologie t1_j4588wy wrote

2018 and 2021 both had snow in either November or December: I don’t really remember the other years.

werdnak84 t1_j46pznx wrote

Weather is unpredictable and there are exceptions to everything.

Labiologie t1_j46rd0j wrote

Well yeah, but it’s not quite accurate to say we haven’t had snow before January for the past several years.

A_Human_Like_You t1_j4242kw wrote

Love that people are getting mad at others that don't care for the lack of snow. Like you can recognize that climate change is fucking horrible while also not wanting to deal with slush and hard snow slabs everywhere for weeks.

IAmChillaxing t1_j400rof wrote

I’m all for snow, just not a blizzard

EasyE0287 t1_j40pnjh wrote

Tonga volcanic eruption last year also trapped water vapor in the atmosphere that will take 1-2 years to dissipate. Will have moderate warming effect this year and next year.

grated_testes t1_j406n9v wrote

Winter only started a couple of weeks ago. The best is yet to come.

lupuscapabilis t1_j41c2x1 wrote

We just got lucky. The one that destroyed buffalo barely missed us.

rmg t1_j42ecxw wrote

/r/titlegore

anthonymm511 t1_j46sfns wrote

This will be the warmest January in recorded history in New York. Mark my words.

SumyungNam t1_j40vuii wrote

Last few winters been pretty cold and since this winter been warm the article be like climate change lol

−2

bittinho t1_j3z8us6 wrote

Obvs global warming is bad mmmkay but I don’t hate our downright balmy winter.

−8

bitter_vet t1_j3z0jzr wrote

Fuck snow. thank god.

−11

savageo6 t1_j3z212k wrote

If only it wasn't due to a global quality of life reducing issue that will cause suffering for billions...

bitter_vet t1_j3z28pv wrote

Kids don't even get snow days anymore so its truly pointless. They're supposed to do remote learning instead.

−25

hau5keeping t1_j3z4cf7 wrote

> Kids don’t even get snow days anymore

Wait till you find out what else climate change is responsible for

ECK-2188 t1_j3yyi9s wrote

I can deal with bitter cold. Just don’t give us snow.

Thank you mama Gaia 🙏🏼

−12