Submitted by jrhodes4797 t3_11dpcin in personalfinance

Hi there. I've begun sitting down and beginning to strategize the best way to pay off my credit card debt now that I have returned to full-time employment. Currently I have three cards:

• Amazon Prime credit card (lowest balance)
  • Wells Fargo propel (highest interest rate)
  • Citi AAdvantage card (highest balance)

In total, I currently owe $12,500. As it stands, I cam currently being charged about $150/month in credit card interest, and my credit score remains around 760 (I was at 812 in July).

I currently have enough in my savings to cover this entire debt and have a significant amount of money left over. I am utilizing a high yield savings, which accrues me interest of around $180/month which offsets the credit card interest, but doesn't leave me with much to build off of. I recently got a new job which sees me making a bit less than I was previously, but average monthly income is about 4500. In addition to this debt, I have around $1800 in various bills and expenses.

So the question is: What is my best approach here? I don't have any foreseeable need for this money within the next year, but was optimally going to begin the process of purchasing a home within the next 5 years. With all of this being said, what is my best strategy? Initially I was thinking about just wiping out the entire debt and starting fresh with some stricter financial rules for myself (I manage my money well, but was not working for 6 months which lead me to fall behind like this). But I witnessed my parents financial struggles for my entire childhood, and have developed a deep fear of ending up in the same position- to be honest the thought of pulling from my savings kills me. But I know that this debt isn't doing me any favors, and paying it off in small amounts is going to take a long time and hinder any further saving abilities.

​

So do I pay the entire balance off, or pay a portion (say $8,500)?

​

Thanks for any help!!

Comments