Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Werewolfdad t1_j2bmiaj wrote

An index fund is a type of investment, not an account. What type of account is it in?

nkyguy1988 t1_j2bml4m wrote

Being an index fund isn't a consideration for tax and penalty. What type of account do you have it in? That's what matters.

Escape2Freedom OP t1_j2bmylz wrote

I have a brokerage account. All my money went into the S&P 500. It's all stocks.

nkyguy1988 t1_j2bnfsc wrote

So is it in a taxable brokerage, Roth IRA brokerage, traditional IRA brokerage? What is the tax status of the account. You have not answered that, and that is the most critical piece of information.

Escape2Freedom OP t1_j2bo1w1 wrote

It's an individual taxable brokerage.

nkyguy1988 t1_j2bojqt wrote

Depends if you are selling for a gain or loss. Nothing will be due when you sell for tax. There are no penalties in taxable accounts. If selling for a gain, you will either have long term or short term capital gains tax due. If selling at a loss, there is no tax due and you can claim up to 3000 in a tax deduction, net of offsetting gains.

Just withdrawing cash from the account is not a taxable event.

Werewolfdad t1_j2bn5nm wrote

You buy funds inside of accounts. What type of account is it in?

Escape2Freedom OP t1_j2bo928 wrote

Individual taxable account.

Werewolfdad t1_j2boikh wrote

Those don’t have penalties. Taxes depend on your gain or loss

Escape2Freedom OP t1_j2bomle wrote

Okay that's kind of a relief. Sounds better than withdrawing from my 401k account.

Bad_DNA t1_j2bxjxl wrote

Yes, you leave tax-advantaged accounts alone until you have exhausted all other accounts. But why do you have to withdraw? No job? Emergency spend? Bad budgeting?

jtothewtothes t1_j2bou5r wrote

Whatever gains you pull out will be taxed as income if you held the stocks for less than a year. This is only money you made in the market, not your initial investment. It will b subject to the same income tax brackets for you paycheck. It will essentially add to your taxable income.

If you held the stocks for more than a year, then the tax rate is a flat 20% for all your earnings.

So save some aside for the tax bill upcoming.

Also as we are approaching the end of the year, it may be relevant for you to realize that your withdraw(on short term gains) will tax earnings onto your 2023 income and you wont owe the bill until April 2024. So keep that money around to pay the tax until then..

Escape2Freedom OP t1_j2bp7tj wrote

Thank you for breaking everything down.

I held it for a few years now. I will keep that in mind!

Coronator t1_j2bv3bv wrote

What do you mean "withdrawing early"? How long did you think you have to keep it?