Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ButtSoupCarlton t1_iwrfqmn wrote

I live in Philly. I’ll always be from Boston. Unless I’m talking to someone from Massachusetts. Then I’m from Lowell. Unless I’m talking to someone from Lowell. Then I’m from Chelmsford

Electrical_List_2125 t1_iwrz01p wrote

This is what I do too!

Republican_Wet_Dream t1_iwshlna wrote

I’ll always be forever be from Brooklyn Although I haven’t lived there in 47 years. I wish I could say i was from Philly. My kids can see it but I can’t say it if I said it it wouldn’t be true

Electrical_List_2125 t1_iwslenj wrote

I think Brooklyn is a pretty cool place to be able to be from, but it’s definitely a matter of perspective. 47 years in a place has to count for something

TreeMac12 t1_iwrkwrq wrote

Learn to use the word “near.” As in in “I live NEAR Philadelphia” or “I grew up NEAR Philly.”

WorkFriendlyPOOTS t1_iwut239 wrote

Nothing annoys me more than when I meet people & they say they're from Philadelphia & then I find out they're not from the city at all. Using "I live near" is definitely the way to go.

This even happens with people who live in the city but in different neighborhoods. I don't know why, but I've noticed a disproportionate amount of people I've met claim to "live" in Fishtown do this a lot too.

"I live in Fishtown" then I go to the neighborhood & they're like "oh here's my address" turns out it's a 20 minute car ride away. I 100% agree, just say "I live near" instead.

synthetikxangel t1_iwrgxic wrote

If your address doesn’t say “Philadelphia, PA” you’re not from Philly

esunFun t1_iwrhsae wrote

Strangely, many not from Philly would disagree with you.

CathedralEngine t1_iwrmsew wrote

So, my cousin, who lived in Northeast Philly for 46 years and just bought a house in the suburbs, is not from Philly, but the person who just moved to Fishtown from NYC during the pandemic is from Philly? If your answer to that question is yes, you’re definitely not from Philly.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws26v1 wrote

Yeah like if you grew up here and the city is pretty much still on you… You’re from here… ya know? Like… Meek Mill is from here no matter where he lives now. Will Smith, though he seems to forget sometimes, is from here. Jilly from Philly is still… Well… From Philly. (Jill Scott). Eve is married to some billionaire, yup, still from Philly tho… Amber Rose… M. Knight Shamalan.. Lil Uzi Vert.. Mario Lanza (Burried in Italy, still from here) All still from here.

ambiguator t1_iwrxmie wrote

Even if it does, different folks have varying degrees of acceptance.

For example, in deep South Philadelphia you have to be able to trace your roots back to Christopher Columbus in order to say you're from here.

−3

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws2fuz wrote

Columbus never even made it up here so thats just flunkies that did nothing but shoot spit balls at each other in history class. Lol

CookedDenimRawPizza t1_iwrm342 wrote

I met someone traveling and when I said I was from (well by from I mean live in) Philly and they told me they also lived in Philly. When I asked what neighborhood, they hit me with West Chester. Lame.

chillout87 t1_iws6kv1 wrote

That has the same vibes as saying Villanova is a Philly college

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws3bzc wrote

Hahahahaha! Yeah its annoying because then if these people act stupid while they’re traveling, we get the rep.. I’ve checked a bunch of people before. I was in Miami and heard a group of dudes sayin they’re from South Philly and bein all loud and fake ass wise guy-ish… I never seen these guys before. Turns out their parents or grandparents had houses here and sold out 15, 20, 30 years ago with all the white flight crowd. I feel like they all went to public school in jersey and just realized they had no personality and needed to adopt one real quick. Sad. Lol.

Moose2157 t1_iwrjng1 wrote

If you spent your formative years in the city limits, you’re from Philly.

If you spent your formative years in the suburbs, you’re from just outside Philly.

poopfeast t1_iwrmdkc wrote

Yeah this is generally it. I lived in the northeast until I was 8, moved to the burbs until I was 18 and went to college back in the city and I’ve been here for the last 15 some odd years. I usually say I grew up in the burbs but have spent the majority of my life in or around the city.

thirst_annihilator t1_iwrnkbx wrote

come on now poop feast, youve lived in philadelphia for the majority of your life youre from philadelphia!

poopfeast t1_iwrnro3 wrote

Those years between 8 and 18 were instrumental in making me the poopfeast I am today

thirst_annihilator t1_iwrnyro wrote

did you eat the horse poop after the birds won the bowl? if so, it might be easier for us to be like “oh that guy? hes not actually from philly”

myothercarisapynchon t1_iwrg6gf wrote

as a native philadelphian i find it severely irritating when people claim to be from philly but are actually from bryn mawr, or deptford, or somewhere in delaware even. if i was not from philadelphia but one of these surrounding areas, i would say i was from the greater philadelphia area, or the suburbs of philadelphia.

MasterKenshi13 t1_iwrgzob wrote

Yeah people wanna claim philly but don't live there or deal with philly problems, it just sounds cool to them. People living in Bryn Mawr and beyond whose parent's don't even let them go to the city like that wanna claim it. Irritating indeed.

​

And the septa part, the 'P' doesn't stand for philly so to me it doesn't matter where septa goes.

typeytypetype t1_iwrhdsy wrote

I think there's a difference between people adamantly claiming they're from Philly when they're not for the 'cred', and telling outsiders that you're from Philly as a means of generalization.

DisciplineShot2872 t1_iwri7ia wrote

I'm new to Philly (but my address is Philadelphia). My ex wife, who I met in LA always said she was from Philly. She was from Wynnewood and avoided the actual city at all costs. She was exactly the sort you're talking about.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws50k5 wrote

Right… People wanna come get educated in Philly, work a high paying corporate job in Philly, run businesses and amass wealth for themselves in Philly… But they wanna live outside the city and not participate in needed solutions for the city, and they vote their tax bracket (for tax breaks) outside the city. But when they’re traveling and need a solid identity, its “Philly baby!” all the way. Clowns

BasileusLeoIII t1_iwrllyl wrote

> Yeah people wanna claim philly but don't live there or deal with philly problems, it just sounds cool to them.

do you think this is the likely motivation?

Or do you think it's just a lot easier to say "I'm from Philly" rather than explaining what Bryn Mawr is and how you commute from there into Philly for work, or giving them a word salad mouthful about the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area

CookedDenimRawPizza t1_iwrmk0u wrote

Why can’t you just say “I’m from outside of Philly” or “I am from suburban Philly”. It’s just as easy and not word salad at all.

Odd_Push_307 t1_iwrhbq4 wrote

That’s only weird to say if you’re saying it to a Philadelphian in Philadelphia. Why on earth would someone say “I’m from Bryan mawr” to a Californian they met on vacation in Mexico?

Dryheavemorning t1_iwriinb wrote

They could just say they are from the Philadelphia area, that would be accurate and give a person a sense of where they are from without being misleading.

Moose2157 t1_iwrlf14 wrote

People act like saying “Just outside Philly” is a mouthful and is also inundating the other person with information. Doesn’t seem like either to me.

CathedralEngine t1_iwrjwm8 wrote

Yeah, exactly. It gives a ball park proximity of where in the country you’re from. If they’re familiar with the area they might ask where in Philly, and then you can go into more detail.

Little_Noodles t1_iwrjxco wrote

I can’t bring myself to care all that much when people do this, because it does make a certain sense. But that’s what the qualifiers “a suburb bordering” or “just outside” are for.

Like, I used to work at a school “about 30 minutes southeast” of Philly.

Weinertabogon t1_iws0bca wrote

lol agreed. ive been in countries where people didn't even know where Philadelphia is, so i would say like "near NYC" or "2hrs from NYC"

typeytypetype t1_iwrgy6i wrote

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure what there is to get bent out of shape about. I grew up in Montco, but have been living in Philly for more years than I did Montco. Around here, I tell people exactly where I'm from, but if I'm talking to someone unfamiliar with the area I just say I'm from Philadelphia because it's easier and I assume no one cares enough for me to bother clarifying.

myothercarisapynchon t1_iwrhjyu wrote

i think it’s exciting to have that in common with someone, until i ask what neighborhood and they look back at me blankly because they are not from philadelphia lol

typeytypetype t1_iwri3gs wrote

Hear that, and agreed, I would think it's weird for people to tell other locals that they're from Philly when they're not actually.

myothercarisapynchon t1_iwridm9 wrote

yeah, i guess my experience with this is mostly from when i went to drexel years ago. i do think it’s different when whoever you’re talking to wouldn’t be familiar with whatever small locality you actually hail from

Little_Noodles t1_iwrj4p4 wrote

You’re at least living here now, though, and have been for a while. That’s a way different thing than someone that grew up in MontCo, mayyyybe went to college here with no intention on staying, and then moved back saying they’re from Philly.

I didn’t grow up here, and I moved around the country a bit after college, but I’ve been here as long as I’ve been anywhere and don’t plan to leave.

Where else would I say I’m from? The town I haven’t lived in for 20+ years and never will again? The only conceivable reason to do that is if the person is very obviously asking where I’m “from” as shorthand for “where did you live as a child?”.

Like, if I’m in a bar in Philly and someone asks if I’m from here, I tell them I grew up down the shore in South Jersey, but moved here after grad school, because I’m not sure which version of the question they’re asking.

But if I’m somewhere I needed an airplane to get to and someone asks where I’m visiting from, where I lived when I was 11 isn’t relevant, and I’m from Philadelphia.

Though I’d agree that the audience matters. If “Philly” barely means anything to the person you’re saying it to, it really doesn’t matter if you say you’re from Philly or “just outside” Philly. You should say “just outside”, but the person you’re saying it doesn’t care and neither do I, really.

typeytypetype t1_iwrjvu2 wrote

Agree with all of that. I think of my brother, who lives in CA and also grew up in Montco, and he regularly tells people in CA that he's from Philly. Not because he's trying to claim some 'status' as a Philadelphian, but because no Californian knows the surrounding county names or cares. However it'd be pretty cringe if he went around telling people here that he's from Philly.

respondstostupidity t1_iwsel32 wrote

> I'm not sure what there is to get bent out of shape about

It's kind of irritating because you think you might know someone's family or be able to relate to them but then when they say Lancaster, they may as well have said Nebraska.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws4d1x wrote

Exactly! Its even more annoying when you’re watching someone trying to fight somebody at a club somewhere in like… Houston or Austin or Dallas and they’re like “Yo I’m from Philly. Back the fuck up!” and you can just hear the gears turning in their head about how effectively they can use the word “Jawn” in their next sentence… and you can also tell they’re from like Upper Darby or Broomall or Radnor. Hahaha. But hey, they took a school bus into North Philly into the highly secured St. Joe’s Prep area of 17th & Girard for 4 years. So you know… They’re practically Bernard Hopkins inside. Lmao

John_EightThirtyTwo t1_iwrljlc wrote

When I was on a work trip to New Zealand, a coworker told some people he was from Philadelphia. I felt an urge to say, "You are not; you're from Pennsauken."

I said nothing, because I didn't want to be that guy, but also because some person in a bar in Auckland is not going to know what a "Pennsauken" is.

Strictly speaking, the rule is what u/synthetikxangel said: if your zip code starts "191", then (and only then) you can say you're from Philadelphia. But the thing is, there's no mechanism for enforcing that rule. So, Bala Cynwyd? Feasterville? Kennett Square? Whatever. But don't turn to me for confirmation, because I'll say, "Nah, he's from Pennsauken."

kick0push t1_iws47ah wrote

Yup! When I’m on the east coast, I might say “I live in south Philly” or “I’m from king of Prussia” or whatever, just examples. But when I lived on the west coast I’d just say I was from Philly.

okjkay t1_iwrm6s3 wrote

I grew up in lower bucks and have lived in Philly for almost 20 years. When I'm travelling, I tell people I'm from Philly because I am pretty sure they are just asking where I live now when they ask, "where are you from?"

When someone at home (Philly) asks where I'm from I say, "I grew up in the suburbs and moved to Philly for college and never left." I can't imagine telling someone who grew up in here that I'm from here.

Florachick223 t1_iwrt6q3 wrote

Agree that traveling vs not is the key distinction. I'm only "from" Philly if someone asks while I'm on vacation in another state

canadacentennialbaby t1_iwsx1kb wrote

Because you know that person who grew up here is going to ask you where you went to high school and it will be embarrassing when you say "Lenape" or "Devon Prep".

I have lived here mostly since 2007, grew up in South Jersey close enough to see the skyline, and I still won't say I am from here unless I am in a different time zone. It's exhausting.

ReturnedFromExile t1_iwrskil wrote

people understand what suburbs are. “ outside “ philly or “ near “ philly works fine. or you can be dishonest

oksis215 t1_iwrsyiw wrote

why would septa be the boundary lol

AbsentEmpire t1_iwrhcza wrote

Outside of the Delaware Valley sure, people won't know where you're talking about otherwise, and quite frankly no one cares.

Within the Delaware Valley it is not unreasonable to expect people to be more familiar with the counties and townships, so you're just being intentionally vague if you say this.

If you come across another person in a different region of the world who's from the area while traveling, than it makes sense to follow your initial statement with your actual place of residence, as they'll likely have a vague idea of what you're talking about.

DaCheat452 t1_iwrk1ol wrote

Unless you're traveling outside the country or talking to someone bad at geography, then no.

I would use greater Philadelphia area, or something like that.

ReturnedFromExile t1_iwrt26d wrote

In my experience, the people that claim they are from Philadelphia when they are traveling are the same people who shit all over Philadelphia when they’re in their suburban home.

uptown_gargoyle t1_iwrkhcw wrote

I've always found there to be a lot of ambiguity in the word "from" in that sentence. If somebody was born in Philly, what's the minimum amount of time they have to live there before moving out before they're allowed to say they're from Philly? E.g. If somebody was born in Philly but moved away at age 2 and spent the rest of their life in Boston, are they "from" Philly or Boston?

CookedDenimRawPizza t1_iwrlste wrote

My mom who was born in a certain city and lived there till about 5 before moving to the burbs refers to the burb as where she is from and not the city.

Electrical_List_2125 t1_iwrzmbg wrote

That’s a great question! I left Boston at age 4 so I never say I’m from Boston. In my last city, being able to say you’re from that city means you at least went to high school there, but if you came for college/higher degrees or work, then you’re a transplant

CreamiusTheDreamiest t1_iwroa0a wrote

If you are talking to someone from PA or NJ I would specify county if you are just outside. If to people not from the area at all I would just say Philly. No one would know montco so you should just say Philly for example

Lanthemandragoran t1_iwrrpjg wrote

I lived the first half of my life on the NJ shore and the second half here. I am having an identity crisis lol.

PhillyPanda t1_iwrps3i wrote

If I’m talking to someone in philly and they ask where I’m from, I’m from Connecticut (if they know CT, they can ask where, usually not worth going into detail)

If I’m traveling and they ask where I’m from, I’m from Philly

AdviceFresh9616 t1_iwscb67 wrote

I grew up in south Philly and always hated when people from the burbs or NJ said they were from Philly.

Now I've been in NJ for 20 years. I now say I'm FROM Philly but I live OUTSiDE Philly.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws0zkr wrote

If you’re not from Philly, you may say, I’m from the Philadelphia area, I’m from the Philly burbs, I’m from just outside of Philly, I live in South Jersey so I basically root for the Philly sports teams, I’m from Millville - you know, Mike Trout’s home town? - yeah so like I root for mainly all the Philly teams cause I’m just 40 mins out from Philly.” Or something like that. I’m really annoyed when I go to say… Myrtle Beach.. and some num nuts requests Philadelphia Freedom or something from the Piano Players at Crocodile Rock cause “We’re from Philly baby!” , you walk up and say “hey man, I’m from South Philly. Where you from?” And they reply, “oh well I’m from Harleysville”…😬🙄😑

TreeMac12 t1_iwskgjz wrote

I root for Notre Dame, that doesn’t make me from South Bend, Indiana

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iwsn8dk wrote

Its just an example of stuff people say in bullshit small talk convo. But I would say school rooting interests are different.

canadacentennialbaby t1_iwsxpqr wrote

I read num nuts as nuns and thought I would totally give a bunch of nuns at a bar in Myrtle Beach requesting Philadelphia Freedom a pass if they claimed to be from the city. But no one else!

Robert_A_Bouie t1_iwrje2f wrote

Depends on where I am. If I'm in another country, I'm from the East Coast of the US, about 170 kilometers South of New York. If I'm in the US/Canada but outside of the Tri-State area, I'm from Suburban Philadelphia. Around here I'm from Delco, between Chester and Media.

chillout87 t1_iws0a0i wrote

If you live in the Philly zip codes/county lines and vote for the Philadelphia mayor, you’re in Philly.

Anything outside of that is “near” as the top comment says

esunFun t1_iwrielr wrote

You can say it for generalization since people are unfamiliar with smaller areas. If push comes to shove, you should state where you actually are from. There is always the better of alternative of saying you are from PA or NJ.

sparc941 t1_iwriis5 wrote

have been here for 18 years, lived somewhere else for 18 years. it's my home, but i'm still an import.

CathedralEngine t1_iwrl9q4 wrote

If you run into a transplant while traveling and they ask where in Philly you’re from, just tell say, “I’m actually from wherever, it’s just easier to say Philly when I’m traveling” and then ask them about the Eagles.

PhillyAccount t1_iwrrymi wrote

This is the world's dumbest argument

Life-Wealth-3399 t1_iwrv730 wrote

I always say I was raised in Philadelphia sometimes I get specific and say the roxborough section of Philadelphia.

ltahaney t1_iws24au wrote

I tell people I'm from Philly. No one in Belgium cares enough to know what i mean when i say bristol boroughnottownshipyouhavetounderstandtheyarereallyverydifferent, sorry guys. I feel guilty every single time.

If we get to talking i do explain that I am from a town where if I go one direction on the train I'm in Philly in 40 minutes and the other direction it's New York in 2 hours. They think that's cool. Oh and they find it funny that my commute which is between two separate major cities (Antwerp and Brussels if you're curious) is less distance than between many separate parts of philly.

cielorossa t1_iwsdc39 wrote

I say I am from Philly even though I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I came to Philly for college at 16, then grad school and never left. I've lived the great majority of my life in Philly and formative years, my kids are born and raised here, I know almost every square mile of the City, in and out, paid wage and property taxes for the entirety of my adult life, and defended this City tooth and nail from all of the suburbanites calling us "Filthadelphia". I'm from Philly.

Shout out to all the 90's baddies who remember Strawbridge's Christmas exhibit!

TreeMac12 t1_iwslel5 wrote

Do you mean Wanamaker’s?

canadacentennialbaby t1_iwszc3q wrote

Nope!

Tell us you aren't from the area without telling us you aren't from the area. With this and the Delaware Valley comment, you are batting a thousand.

TreeMac12 t1_iwt40op wrote

Oh I’m from the area. I was born under the EL. Now I live four blocks from the EL. I’m just not a “90’s baddie” whatever that is.

Right in your link it says the Wanamaker’s Christmas show has always been more popular.

How long have you been a fellow Delaware Vallien?”

Embarrassed_Gate8001 t1_iwvlkgl wrote

It’s crazy how proud people are to say they’re from Philly.

Bronkko t1_iwrulcy wrote

If you live in the outskirts it depends on who you are talking to and where they are from. I've lived in the city for a long time.. but I didn't grow up here and currently live in sj. But for example if I'm talking to someone from England on the internet.. it defaults to Philadelphia.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws5dt3 wrote

Princess Grace was from Philly. Kelly drive is named after her father.

RexxAppeal t1_iwtd79y wrote

If you live in Pennsylvania, East of the Blue Route and South of the Turnpike, and you’ve ridden a SEPTA bus, go ahead and tell people you’re from Philly.

TreeMac12 t1_iwue9fr wrote

You mean “South of Cheltenham Avenue” and “East of Cobbs Creek Parkway.”

WorkFriendlyPOOTS t1_iwut9q0 wrote

To answer the question, I'm not sure when you can say "I'm from Philadelphia". I think the unspoken rule in NYC is that you live there for 10yrs before you can call yourself a New Yorker. I would say for Philadelphia maybe 7yrs, as long as you've been converted to Philadelphia sports teams... because how can you rep being from Philadelphia if you're not rooting for the city & their teams? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

TheOGinBC t1_iwzb0gi wrote

Depends where you are and who you’re talking to; if you’re talking to someone from PA, NJ, or DE, you say a precise location/outside of Philly. If you’re talking to someone from afar you’re from Philly. -OG From BC

Cobey1 t1_iws3t7r wrote

When I hear someone say they’re from Philly, I assume (& hope) they were born here. I wouldn’t say I’m from somewhere I wasn’t born.. If you were born in NYC and moved to Philly as an adult, you’re not from Philly, you’re from NYC. You could say I live in Philly, Philly is my home… but you’re not FROM Philly. If Philly didn’t make you who you are today, you’re not from here.

Republican_Wet_Dream t1_iwshfhc wrote

I’ve been here for 32 years and I still can’t say I’m from here. I wish I could.

Thefnordisonmyfoot t1_iwrifu1 wrote

I grew up in Glenside and took the train into the city by myself or with friends regularly starting when I 13. I'm from Philly.

−12

esunFun t1_iwrjbij wrote

Is there anything wrong with saying you're from Glenside since you spent your childhood I'm assuming growing up there? Seems strange to claim Philly with examples of spending time in the city.

Thefnordisonmyfoot t1_iwrl6sw wrote

I was born in Germantown and when I talk to people from Philly sure, but when I first left home I went from Kensington to fishtown to 55th and 5th, 10th and locust, 40th and Walnut, 25th and delancy,man I got around. What's enough.

Edit: forgot Allen's Lane

esunFun t1_iws7b58 wrote

I think the fine line is hazy. I think when it is out of line and not enough is where people from Philly really want to stop the "band-wagoning". I could bring in examples like university students like Temple and Drexel from New Jersey or Delaware. Seems to make for a confusing situation where you would think they would say where they're from since they're living in Philadelphia to Philadelphians but get caught in their lies. The bottom half of the paragraph is a tangent so feel free to ignore.

TreeMac12 t1_iwrloag wrote

Dr Oz grew up in Wilmington, which has a Septa station too. He lived in the dorms at Penn in his teens and early 20s. Would you say he is “from Philly?”

Thefnordisonmyfoot t1_iwrpopm wrote

Deeply offended by the Dr Oz comparison Born in Philly. Grew up 4 miles from the city limits.
Spent most of my life living in the city. Love the city and always will.
Hope I can afford to move back. So bite me with your down votes. I wouldn't expect any different from Philly people so ima go over here and cry with Mike Schmidt and Santa

−3

TreeMac12 t1_iwrtndc wrote

I took a bus to New York. That doesn’t make me a New Yorker. I took a plane to Cancun. That doesn’t make me Mexican.

Stock_Enthusiasm6035 t1_iwrgh9j wrote

I don’t know why I’d want to say “I’m from Philly” anymore.

−18