Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MasterKenshi13 t1_iwrgzob wrote

Yeah people wanna claim philly but don't live there or deal with philly problems, it just sounds cool to them. People living in Bryn Mawr and beyond whose parent's don't even let them go to the city like that wanna claim it. Irritating indeed.

​

And the septa part, the 'P' doesn't stand for philly so to me it doesn't matter where septa goes.

typeytypetype t1_iwrhdsy wrote

I think there's a difference between people adamantly claiming they're from Philly when they're not for the 'cred', and telling outsiders that you're from Philly as a means of generalization.

DisciplineShot2872 t1_iwri7ia wrote

I'm new to Philly (but my address is Philadelphia). My ex wife, who I met in LA always said she was from Philly. She was from Wynnewood and avoided the actual city at all costs. She was exactly the sort you're talking about.

SouthPhilly_215 t1_iws50k5 wrote

Right… People wanna come get educated in Philly, work a high paying corporate job in Philly, run businesses and amass wealth for themselves in Philly… But they wanna live outside the city and not participate in needed solutions for the city, and they vote their tax bracket (for tax breaks) outside the city. But when they’re traveling and need a solid identity, its “Philly baby!” all the way. Clowns

BasileusLeoIII t1_iwrllyl wrote

> Yeah people wanna claim philly but don't live there or deal with philly problems, it just sounds cool to them.

do you think this is the likely motivation?

Or do you think it's just a lot easier to say "I'm from Philly" rather than explaining what Bryn Mawr is and how you commute from there into Philly for work, or giving them a word salad mouthful about the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area

CookedDenimRawPizza t1_iwrmk0u wrote

Why can’t you just say “I’m from outside of Philly” or “I am from suburban Philly”. It’s just as easy and not word salad at all.