Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Robert_A_Bouie t1_j5zdz37 wrote

Why does the fucking Art Commission get to weigh in on restaurants appropriating public spaces? Shouldn't that be L&I, Streets or Zoning?

mybigbadthrowaway t1_j5zjc1y wrote

The Art Commission is chartered with reviewing anything that is installed on or over a public right of way. They're the last step in the process.

It goes Streets Department, L&I, Art Commission if I remember correctly.

Little_Noodles t1_j5zj2e3 wrote

It’s a pretty natural extension of responsibilities they already have.

The board is part of the city’s Department of Planning and Development and is supposed to vet the structures (and other forms of development) to make sure it “is beautiful, orderly, and appropriate so that the City is a desirable place to live, visit, and do business.”

Murals and public art and stuff like that is only part of their job. One of the big complaints about streeteries has been that they either look like shit from the start, or are built cheap and look like shit in two months. So part of the approval process goes through the agency whose job it is to tell business that their janky crap looks like shit.

CockercombeTuff t1_j5zpufm wrote

>“is beautiful, orderly, and appropriate so that the City is a desirable place to live, visit, and do business.”

Clearly they take the narrow view of this.

Little_Noodles t1_j5zq5tp wrote

‘Tis a mighty lift indeed, and their purview is, in fact, narrow.

They only have authority if city funds or public space is involved, IIRC

CockercombeTuff t1_j5zrcvo wrote

It was intended as a bit of snark. But the fact that this all goes through Streets, L&I and this Art Commission just screams exhausting bureaucracy.

44moon t1_j60dewj wrote

so we have them to thank for all of the beautifully-designed new construction in the city

−5

Little_Noodles t1_j60it6o wrote

No. Anything not built with city funds, or not on city-owned property doesn’t get passed through the Commission.

They get only get oversight over streeteries because they’re located on public streets