Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LightGraves t1_j5l2vgo wrote

Moving to Philly from Texas this Friday. I’m excited and nervous.

Ill_Collection_70 t1_j5lh1d8 wrote

i moved from north fort worth, about to hit a year here. :) hope everything goes smoothly!

LightGraves t1_j5lheaw wrote

Thank you! Did you end up driving ? I will be moving from the city that starts with the letter D

Ill_Collection_70 t1_j5ljqys wrote

yeah i held out as long as i could but i moved first and drove my car down about 5 months later. i walk most places now and take public transportation but it’s nice to have a car to get out of the city!

starshiprarity t1_j5lny4b wrote

I drove when I moved from Houston (also lived a long time in DFW). It was almost pleasant- one 16 hour day, one 8 hour I think. Except for a bit of time in Birmingham, there were no cities and no traffic or road issues

I sold my car soon after, so it made a good farewell trip, too

LightGraves t1_j5m1ht3 wrote

I’m actually from Houston. Lived there most of my life and lived in DFW these past 2 years. I’m going to miss Texas but I’m ready for what Philly and the east coast can offer :)

derekno2go t1_j5jyoe5 wrote

31M and I might be taking up a job offer (just above 60k) in Philadelphia either this April or the following spring in 24. I would be relocating all the way from Montana, but I am originally from New York. I miss living in a city, but don’t necessarily want to move back to NYC, but when I lived there, I went down to Philly from time to time as I had some friends there, many of whom are still there and many of my NY friends and family who went to school down there remained in the area. I’ve had my car since 2020, and have a bit of a sentimental attachment to it as it’s taken me across the country three times and all the way to Alaska. I would like to live in a walkable neighborhood (at least in the beginning) but would also like to have a car for day trips.

mortgagepants t1_j5ljo0g wrote

there are a few neighborhoods that are walkable but have parking. port richmond, point breeze, south south philly.

not telling you what to do, but cars sometimes go from value added to albatross really fast. 3rd time towed or second time break in and intercity bus, train, amtrak, daily rental, seems better and better.

paytown90 t1_j5san76 wrote

Fwiw I moved to Bella Vista about 4mo ago with a small Subaru SUV. There’s free parking on a couple blocks in the area but it’s a nightmare to find unless it’s mid day on a weekday.. but even during the day on weekdays is a pain in the ass unless you’re cool spending 30 min looking for parking far away and only moving it every time you absolutely need it.. you’ll learn you don’t need it often quickly.

Once I got a residential permit for the area I’m in it made parking tolerable, and I’m glad I kept a car. In Bella Vista and Queen Village on weekdays you can find parking most streets. evening and weekends is a hassle but you’ll find something within 10 min of looping blocks that will land you a 10 min walk away

If you move to Passyunk or other neighborhoods south of Washington it’s a pain but most streets are free.

If you end up in a zone with residential parking get your PA license sorted out asap then get your car inspected and registered also asap so you can get a residential permit.

Living between south st to center city you’ll be better off getting a spot in a lot.

Can’t speak to other areas of town.

Reason I mention my make and size of car earlier is because I knew we needed to go down to one car from two and initially considered moving here in our other car which was a long van. Ended up selling the van before the move because of parking concerns. Very glad I did because trying to fit a SUV is one thing, but if I had to find parking for a 22’ van or truck I’d still be circling the neighborhood.

St0necutt3r t1_j5k1x88 wrote

Just moved, have a bunch of cardboard that needs to be recycled. Are there any places that accept cardboard drop offs?

NewcRoc t1_j5keg86 wrote

Break them up, wrap it in twine or packing tape and leave it on the curb on your trash day. Recycling should pick it up.

Evil_Bebos t1_j5kivo0 wrote

There is a sanitation center on grays Ave in West Philly. I took a huge stack of cardboard there after a move.

correlationist1 t1_j5ksyf1 wrote

I am planning to move from Las Vegas to Philadelphia at the end of the month, I was wondering if anyone else has been there, done that? What’s your experience like?

I am a single male early 30s, wfh, planning to get a place in the center city to explore the city. Mainly concerned about taxes as Philly has a city wage tax and PA has a state tax. Are people as friendly? it is easy to make good friends? Dating scene?

demography_llama t1_j5mvga2 wrote

If you're wfh I suggest living in a walkable neighborhood near Center City with restaurants, cafes, and parks.

People are kind, but not nice (I'm a Midwest transplant and still super friendly). I like it. People have an f-you oh let me help you with that attitude. Volunteering and community sports are a great way to meet people. I can't really speak to the current dating scene beyond I met my now-spouse here. Dating pool is definitely better than the Midwest town I came from.

Taxes are what they are. Philly is still a cheaper option compared to nearby cities DC, NYC, Boston, etc

SgtKetchup t1_j63o0tw wrote

The tax burden between Nevada and PA is actually not all that different since our sales tax is much lower. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494 The wage tax in Philly is also partially offset by comparatively low property taxes, compared to many of the surrounding suburbs.

Compared to Nevada, your taxes also provide additional tangible service benefits such as usable public transit.

mortgagepants t1_j5lixwv wrote

wage taxes don't really start to kick in until you make over like 40k i think. so just use that to plan roughly what you'll owe, unless your company will handle it.

−6

ChawwwningButter t1_j5kukgk wrote

trying to buy a house in DelCo and then renovate in time for our family in to move in by the summer. we have a baby that will need daycare; is it too late to sign up for waitlists at this point? we don't even live in philly in yet, so I'm not even sure which daycares to look at

halfdeserted t1_j5o8zgz wrote

Get on wait lists asap! The better daycare and preschools have longer lists.

Erythronne t1_j5n4igl wrote

Any recommendations for a good driving school in the city? Planning to finally get my license this year and recommendations would be appreciated.

idriveawhitecamry t1_j5ophqu wrote

Best area for a commute to Fort Washington?

I’m moving from the Midwest to PA for a job. I’ve never lived on the east coast before. I don’t have any contacts in PA so looking for somewhere I can make friends quickly.

Stats:

• 24 YO Male
  • Engineer
  • likes going out to bars with friends
  • very physically active
  • have a dog
  • single
  • love to bike
  • love nature but also like a city feel
  • own a car

I’m also considering living in a suburb to avoid paying that atrocious wage tax. Looking for a commute under 30 min. What are your thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

thefrozendivide t1_j5q9jz4 wrote

There's no way you're making it from Center City to fort Washington under 30 minutes during regular business hours. Ambler is a cute little town that you might like that should check all of your boxes. You're definitely going to want to check out every town in person first.

That_Obligatior16 t1_j5rmvjj wrote

Agree that it's not really possible to commute from the city to fort Washington in 30min, and that Ambler is a very nice suburban town, and to visit in person before committing to anything.

I'd add that Conshohocken is another suburb that you could consider that is popular with your demographic. It has a slightly more (but not all that) urban feel compared to Ambler feeling more like a small town.

Another thing to consider with respect to the wage tax is that it's just one component of the cost of living, and it's worth looking at the whole picture before balking at the wage tax bill. Manayunk (another area you could consider) is a very similar area to Conshohocken in many ways, except Manayunk is in the Philadelphia city limits and Conchy is not. Rents for similar apartments in Manayunk happen to run $100-$200/month cheaper compared to Conchy. So if you're making around median income it's only a difference of whether you're paying that $100-200 to you landlord or to the municipality (and since property taxes are lower on average in Philly than most of the suburbs its really just taking a different route to the municipality in the end).

Upbeat_Estimate1501 t1_j5ks623 wrote

Feeling like I'm sort of just waiting. I plan to move around primetime in August, not seeing any listings opening up then -- which is good, as I need to save up money.

I asked before where to get the most bang for my buck. Hoping to get a place that's 2BR/BR (mayyybe 3?) for under $2k as I'm a girl who tends to get lucky in finding good deals historically. I work remotely so commute isn't an issue, just looking for neighborhoods with a coffee shop I can go to once a week, walkable groceries, and close to transit.

Some of y'all gave me a few suggestions Queen's Villiage, Germantown, West Philly. I have a friend up in Port Richmond and I see listings in my price range there. But now my last question that Zillow can't answer to wrap it all up: other neighborhoods that are really queer friendly? Mt. Airy seems out of my price range with those constraints for now. Any other places I'm missing?

uptown_gargoyle t1_j5ksyyn wrote

West Philly between 40th on the east, 52nd on the west, Woodland to the south and Walnut to the north. Specifically the Baltimore Avenue corridor, but generally the entire area is very queer.

trifflinmonk t1_j5n8mae wrote

West Philly is v queer friendly and my partner and I snagged a 3 br in the area you described for 1650. Def on the cheaper side but it is doable

throeaway1884784 t1_j5l1ib6 wrote

Hi, we’re considering a move near Chinatown for work from the suburbs. Anything we would need to know/be concerned about in the area? Special rules for trash, recycling, specific neighborhood crime concerns? We know about the proposed stadium, so that part is covered.

I’ve lived in the city before, but it was 20+ years ago, so obviously some things have changed. lol

edited: more specification on certain points.

hamletdenmark t1_j5l6p8z wrote

Hi all! Was sent here from r/samegrassbutgreener

Trying to decide where to live after college. I’m between Philly and NYC. With my masters in education I’d make starting in NYC - 68k and Philly - 51k

I’m just wondering on the Philly salary if I could afford my own, decently modern apartment, in a good neighborhood + a car. (the tiktoks and videos about Kensington worry me. I’m not so worried ab nyc bc I live an hour away and go there a lot even to “worse neighborhoods”). I’ve looked at apartments.com and more but don’t really know anything about the areas..

Would love some advice here! :)

Edit: why am I being downvoted for asking for genuine advice :/

demography_llama t1_j5muizk wrote

You're being downvoted because bringing up Kensington tiktok videos connotes that you haven't researched the city yet. Kensington is in a small, isolated part of the city, yet is often the social media poster child for Philly.

The typical neighborhoods to consider when starting your search are Rittenhouse, Fairmount, Graduate Hospital, West Philly near UPenn, Washington Square West, Old City, Society Hill, Queen Village, East Passyunk, Fishtown, Northern Liberties, etc. If you need to bring your car prepare for street parking or paying more for an apartment that comes with parking.

As others have noted, 51k will provide a decent standard of living compared to 68k in NYC.

phlwhyamihere t1_j5m1ye1 wrote

51k will get you farther in Philly than 68k in nyc

Beer_Summit t1_j5m70hu wrote

^ this.

For instance, to have the same standard of living in Manhattan as you'd have in Philly for $51k, you'd need to earn $117k.

To have the same standard of living in Brooklyn as you'd have in Philly for $51k, you'd need to earn $85k.

If your perception of Philly is shaped by tiktoks and videos of Kensington, then it's time for you to get off of your computer or phone and actually visit Philly for at least a weekend and drive around the city. You'll discover that we have plenty of nice, safe, and affordable neighborhoods.

DoGreat_DieGood t1_j5lon9c wrote

Kensington is largely isolated and not something you stumble upon, since there's really no reason for you to travel up there on a regular basis lol. Street View is your friend! You can definitely afford a nice apartment in a decent neighborhood on that salary.

penguinchange t1_j5muumy wrote

Is there any tip for riding the patco safely or is it a gamble at this point

I don’t mean for that ^ to sound bait-y, I know I’ve heard the el/septa is worse but still - the bums and stuff are out of control on the patco now. There was a dude at the haddonfield station tonight cursing and throwing trash all over the lobby, a dude stumbling around and staring oddly on my train cart through the seat crack, and lots of agressive dudes always in the 15/16 station. Is 12/13th or 9/10th better ? Is the cart by the front where the conductor is the safest? I have no choice but to use the train to commute home, but am very emotionally exhausted these last couple days - depending on what cart I choose I feel relaxed enough to read and next night a dude sits right next to me and positions himself to stare at me the entire ride as some sort of a power move. At the moment the only solution I can think of is pepper spray over the left shoulder for good luck!

thefrozendivide t1_j5q9r6a wrote

Patco is spectacular and nothing like the BSL OR MFL. It's clean, on time, and a pleasant ride.

LFKhael t1_j5qdean wrote

Just don't get off at Broadway/Walter Rand if you can help it.

penguinchange t1_j5rk8d1 wrote

i have been taking the patco home from jersey into the city for the past 6 months , usually later at night and during these colder months it’s kind of not always as pleasant as it was in the summer so I think it maybe depends on what time you’re talking

a-german-muffin t1_j5p19nr wrote

Back when I commuted on PATCO, 12th/13th was usually the least terrible of the bunch—the end of the line was only busy at peak commute times, whereas 12th/13th and 9th/10th would get used a bit more (people going to Jeff, etc.).

As for the trains themselves, sitting up near the conductor's usually a good bet if you're feeling unsafe — but PATCO's usually pretty responsive if you reach out about issues, which might help, too.

PhillyPanda t1_j5y9a96 wrote

I don’t have any issues going from 15/16th to 8th and market. Homeless in the station, but that’s gotten better since the encampments during the pandemic, but not really on the cars themselves

xcharmanda t1_j5x0jkr wrote

Currently on a month to month lease. How soon does a landlord need to give notice that i’d need to leave? 2 months before the move out date?

orangehoody t1_j5kcp8z wrote

Any recs on a decently safe neighborhood near the patco for 4/5 people coming from south jersey? We currently have our eyes on a house around center city. We're also looking around mantua and gray's ferry but I hear that's a bad neighborhood. We're also looking to bring a dog and a bird with us.

Hannah_M_K t1_j5lqf3b wrote

Just my opinion but I live in deep south Philly near Oregon and west of broad and I recommend it. I believe the patco stations are between 15th and 8th on market so if you are looking over in mantua it wouldn't be much farther to commute from down here. It also has the benefit of being very close to the bridge to get to South Jersey if you have a car. South west isn't as trendy as passyunk but is quiet and family friendly. And everyone has a dog lol. Good luck!

SgtKetchup t1_j63odrp wrote

Living along the BSL provides easy connection to Patco, especially in the north if you have access to the Broad Ridge Spur for quick connections at 8th and market. It's about 15 minutes from Olney to 8th via the BRS for example.

Afraid_Echo_6651 t1_j5lb0oh wrote

Just moved to fishtown. Does anybody know if the paved lots under 95 are free to the public or do you to pay/permit, etc. thanks!

SubjectMindless t1_j5mb452 wrote

Hi all! What are your thoughts on the area around cross streets N 7th/W Thompson? Do you feel it’s a lively area/safe? Per google looks good and the listing I see seems great. Thanks for your time! And if this isn’t the place to pose this, apologies!

psychoanalyzed7 t1_j5mmcs9 wrote

Hello! I am moving to Center City from Canada and am bringing my car. Is it possible to get a parking permit/garage with a Canadian license plate? What is my cheapest option? Thank you!

trifflinmonk t1_j5n85a0 wrote

to get a street permit, you need Pennsylvania license and plate

thefrozendivide t1_j5qa304 wrote

If you get a spot in a parking garage, you can park wherever you want there, Canada plates or not. I would budget about $250 to 300 bucks a month for that option. If you are going with a street parking permit, not only are you going to have a pretty much impossible time finding parking in center city, but you're also going to need to register your car at your new address in the city.

Proper-Code7794 t1_j5p4d0h wrote

It depends on where you live sometimes you don't need a permit for street parking other parts of the city have free parking

Sam-Hinkie t1_j5wjzf7 wrote

My lease is coming to an end soon and I wanted to move to a luxury 1 bedroom apartment in center city. My other option is to move back home to the suburbs for a few months. There are pros/cons for both options, but my biggest concern is that here won’t be as many rent specials available in the summertime like I see now. Is this true?

I know the benefit of saving while home could offset this, but also having to live back home for a few months and moving twice in a short time are enough to negate most of that benefit.

My overall question is will I most likely not get the best bang for my buck for apartments in a few months?

Hour_Form5859 t1_j614kv4 wrote

Anyone have any experience around 18th/Norris or 18th/Berks area? Looking for apartments and I am a little worried about safety.

Ill_Collection_70 t1_j5llp05 wrote

who would i call to get some barstools shortened to counter height?

starshiprarity t1_j5lp0mi wrote

Are they wood? A hacksaw and a felt sticker will get the job done in twenty minutes while still looking good. You could find a carpenter/woodworker but you'll end up paying as much as you did for the chairs on the first place

Ill_Collection_70 t1_j5jr5q8 wrote

Any body shops that cover the deductible?

−6

alittlemouth t1_j5jv1a0 wrote

Are you asking for recommendations of places that will help you commit insurance fraud?

Ill_Collection_70 t1_j5jx58b wrote

didn’t know it was. got into a hit and run accident and my insurance is requesting reimbursement from the other party after the claim has been paid. i don’t want to pay out of pocket and wait to be reimbursed.

−2

alittlemouth t1_j5jyft0 wrote

Unfortunately for most insurance companies you’ll have to. This happened to me last year and it sucks. I think I got my deductible back a month or two later.