Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Velvetundaground t1_iy9jvep wrote

#Oh loook at me everybody, look how weird I am, please give me attention. I am sooooo weeeird.

Drusgar t1_iya4xln wrote

I understand the sentiment, but your name indicates some admiration for Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, so isn't there some strange irony there?

[deleted] t1_iyb1skt wrote

[deleted]

−25

Drusgar t1_iybc8y1 wrote

I mean, it might not be your cup of tea, but Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not because they sold a bazillion albums but because they trailblazed and inspired a legion of fellow musicians. He didn't always write the music the public wanted to hear, but he wrote the music that he wanted to hear and sometimes we liked it.

DovahSheep1 t1_iybcuab wrote

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a fucking joke it means literally nothing

−13

jimithelizardking t1_iybxem7 wrote

Well at the very least it means you’ll get strangely pissed off when it’s brought up

puckit t1_iyawbec wrote

He really does seem to have been insufferable.

Stoneghoul t1_iybrwb7 wrote

He was a fascist, fuck him.

dielawn87 t1_iycr3y9 wrote

I mean, so was Heidegger and he was probably the most important philosopher of the 20th century.

GibsonMaestro t1_iyb275s wrote

Yes, but his inherent need for attention fueled the art that has been enjoyed by millions

tmotytmoty t1_iyb2ig3 wrote

oh look, here comes Mr. ~ Surreal ~ and his stupid deformed dog

Sproutykins t1_iyawt3g wrote

What’s wrong with this, though? It’s highly entertaining and a lot of people like it. The only thing I take irritation at is that it’s immoral to keep something like this as a pet.

trumpskiisinjeans t1_iybpwo0 wrote

I actually kind of like some of his art, but I cannot stand this man. Wasn’t he literally on the side of fascists during the Spanish civil war?

BunsinHoneyDew t1_iydvuov wrote

His Narcissism was legendary.

If you want an interesting rabbit hole you can see the first iteration of the "Dune" movie they tried to make.

They wanted Salvador Dali in the movie, and he wanted to be paid an obscene amount of money so he could have the title of the highest paid actor ever.

I think Pink Floyd was also being asked to do the soundtrack... would have been a hell of a spectacle.

XXSeaBeeXX t1_iybm5c4 wrote

Tbf, he was kind of the only one doing this at the time.

PtrWalnuts t1_iyad15d wrote

Who’s that was really interesting and he was wacky.

−3

VRom19 t1_iybkbyp wrote

Rumor has it that Mr.Dali weirdness was just an act, seemed that when there were not cameras around or public the guy was pretty much normal and boring, also that much of his art wasn't crafted by him but by his disciples instead.