Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

themagicbong t1_j6ker5n wrote

Whenever I hear bora Bora I always think of vin diesel at the end of XXX when he just says "Bora Bora." After whatever crazy shit he had to do, lol.

mk72206 t1_j6mq2h4 wrote

I always think of Pulp Fiction

“But you do not speak Bora Boran either…”

FerociousGiraffe t1_j6o3i5h wrote

Same. Sitting there on the rock or whatever in the water, shivering cold.

Bora Bora is amazing. Xander has great taste.

BeefEater81 t1_j6myimm wrote

Whenever I hear Bora Bora, I always think of Full House.

"How was Bora Bora?"

"Beautiful, beautiful."

garry4321 t1_j6opram wrote

I think of the community made "Bora Bora Island Adventure" map in little big planet. My buddies and I all got lit and played that map back in the day, and we still all talk about how much fun that was.

IgnoredAegina64 t1_j6jttsi wrote

Pretty sure it is the Wii resort island

NomenNescio13 t1_j6k5ezk wrote

Nah man, gotta be Moana's island.

por_que_no t1_j6m79bf wrote

Fact: the dude who collects for using the moorings in BB is named Moana.

iTwango t1_j6kxchn wrote

Immediately thought Wuhu island as well

wynlyndd t1_j6k0rts wrote

Question : the lighter blue waters on the inside of the atoll ring. Are they sandy or rocky with coral debris?

nashbar t1_j6k4hjh wrote

It’s sandy and relatively shallow inside the reef, the image is heavily edited making it hard to tell where the beach ends and water starts. There’s often dolphins feeding/playing in the opening of the reef, tour boats feeding sharks/rays near the top of the image and some artist communities on the atoll on the left of the image.

I sailed there in 2018.

por_que_no t1_j6m7je8 wrote

I was backpacking and surfing through the south Pacific in the 80s and wound up on Bora Bora and somehow scored a fare on the beach at Bloody Marys for next to nothing when they were closed. My girlfriend and I were the only guests except for the always drunk American fisherman who lived on his fishing boat there. Think his name was Leo. We'd swim with mantas right off their dock. Things have changed since then I imagine.

Four_beastlings t1_j6mxbtk wrote

I, too, want to be part of an artist community and for tourists to feed me.

nashbar t1_j6my2p9 wrote

You can be a dolphin when you grow up if you study hard

redshift83 t1_j6ksu6b wrote

sandy in most places, but you'll prefer rocky because of the sea life it brings.

pcakes13 t1_j6kmrun wrote

Having been to a number of islands in French Polynesia I can say Bora Bora is nice, but I’d pick Raiatea & Tahaa over it every time.

temptedtempest t1_j6l1b7q wrote

Could you elaborate? So few people have been to all and have an opinion based on experience.

pcakes13 t1_j6locb1 wrote

>Super short version of why I'd pass on Bora Bora is that it's ALL resorts. Any piece of land on the atoll that can support a hotel, has a hotel, and they're SUPER swank. Four Seasons. The Intercontinental. You get the idea. There are a some on the main island, but that's not why you go there. You go there to stay at a super-swank $1200 per/night over-water bungalow. Now that's super crazy and awesome, and it is awesome, but for what it costs to spend 5 nights in Bora Bora you could spend 2 weeks in Raiatea AND take a cruise on a catamaran. Now I wouldn't necessarily stay for 2 weeks, but it's quiet, beautiful, and had better snorkeling than Bora Bora did. Bora Bora was a bucket list location for sure but I'm not sure I'd go back based on the cost alone.

Copy/paste of a reply I made to another person.

tfaw88888 t1_j6m25yf wrote

my ex-gf was born and raised in raiatea and yes, what a place.

redshift83 t1_j6lhj7n wrote

There is very little to do on bora bora relative to all the other options. It’s stunning beautiful from the room and the snorkeling is the best (must hire a tour though). Otherwise not much is there. I’ll go back but moorea is just as nice or nicer.

twoinvenice t1_j6nam7m wrote

For diving or snorkeling trips where you are going to stick to the more developed islands, the diving around Moorea is better in general…plus it’s quite a bit less expensive. When go back, if I’m not doing a full on dive trip to some of the farther out islands like Fakarava, I’d probably do the same thing I did last time - like 5 nights on Moorea and 3 on Bora Bora.

M0NTY26 t1_j6odn2k wrote

Bora bora? More like bora boring.

CrystalStilts t1_j6mi4yw wrote

I’m partial to Fakarava. There’s a pass there you can snorkel and float down it takes 30 min but it’s super shallow and for snorkeling and seeing all kinds of coral. You just walk back beside the pass and you can do it over and over and over and see so much reef and life it’s pretty amazing. Plus it’s a smaller atoll with less tourists. We flew last time but my husband wants to cross the Panama Canal and then the pacific and spend a year sailing around the south pacific so we can spend 6 mos in the Tuamotus off grid before our daughter gets too old and is in school. If anyone has any other suggestions of their favourite places in the Tuamotus please leave suggestions below also if you have a favourite anchorage.

drmcsinister t1_j6ln03y wrote

It's also worth noting that Raiatea and Tahaa are in the background of that picture. They are super close to Bora Bora, so you can spend nights on both sets of islands in one trip. Air Tahiti has island hoppers and it's like a 15 minute flight between them.

Source: my wife and I did that for our honeymoon.

onelittleworld t1_j6lh5j2 wrote

Mo'orea is no slouch, either.

arctander t1_j6mugun wrote

Agreed - I *really* enjoyed Mo'erea followed by Raiatea. I recently saw $800 round-trip flights from LAX to PPT and considered going for a week.

twoinvenice t1_j6nbgb4 wrote

Air Tahiti Nui has those deals quite often - definitely sign up for their newsletter.

The thing that surprised me the most the first time I went to Tahiti was that the flight really isn’t that long, only a bit over 8 hours from LAX to Papeete. I don’t know why but before going I had always felt like the flight would be more of a looong adventure like it is getting to other places in the South Pacific (like the full day + of flights and sitting in airports that it takes to get to the eastern part of Indonesia).

arctander t1_j6nhdjv wrote

Exactly. I've been to the Maldives and it took nearly 40 hours door to door. Tahiti is a walk in the park by comparison.

IndignantDeleter t1_j6l214n wrote

Any specific resorts?

pcakes13 t1_j6l6879 wrote

Raiatea Lodge. Small, like 20 rooms total.

https://raiatea-lodge-hotel.com/en/home/

Super short version of why I'd pass on Bora Bora is that it's ALL resorts. Any piece of land on the atoll that can support a hotel, has a hotel, and they're SUPER swank. Four Seasons. The Intercontinental. You get the idea. There are a some on the main island, but that's not why you go there. You go there to stay at a super-swank $1200 per/night over-water bungalow. Now that's super crazy and awesome, and it is awesome, but for what it costs to spend 5 nights in Bora Bora you could spend 2 weeks in Raiatea AND take a cruise on a catamaran. Now I wouldn't necessarily stay for 2 weeks, but it's quiet, beautiful, and had better snorkeling than Bora Bora did. Bora Bora was a bucket list location for sure but I'm not sure I'd go back based on the cost alone.

BootyMcSqueak t1_j6l72tu wrote

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Ginge00 t1_j6l9fef wrote

My wife and I spent 5 days at the intercontinental on Moorea, it was amazing, we did a jet ski tour around the little islands of the coast and it was fantastic. Highly recommend Moorea.

pcakes13 t1_j6lrj9v wrote

We swam with rays and black tipped reef sharks in the shallows by that hotel. Moorea also has a super cool marine reserve on the other side of the island where you can chill in your own hammock between snorkeling.

Pbranson t1_j6mze5d wrote

I second Raiatea Lodge. Stayed there in March and it was great.

Deep_Classroom3495 t1_j6l63b0 wrote

For me it’s Maldives.

pcakes13 t1_j6l84w0 wrote

I have yet to be to that Maldives to compare them to French Polynesia. That said, Raiatea and Taha'a are other islands that also happen to be in French Polynesia.

TheBrazenBeast t1_j6lyqtg wrote

Came here to say I preferred Isle of Pines to Bora Bora for beauty

anyDodge91 t1_j6jucz5 wrote

Somewhere I will never be able to afford to go .

Beautiful as fuvk though

tangoshukudai t1_j6kuvm0 wrote

Costco has packages for about $5K which includes hotel, airfare and all you can eat food.

highline9 t1_j6kwj4n wrote

Really??? Thanks for this…didn’t know they did travel

fargmania t1_j6kx98a wrote

Their travel services are pretty awesome, if they're going where you want to go. I use their car rental service whenever I travel - it's always the best deal.

lirael87 t1_j6lezbo wrote

Costco travel has some great hotels and deals! We did our Bora Bora/Tahiti trip with them and several Mexico getaways.

Aspy343 t1_j6lkyw7 wrote

I just found rooms (not in hotels) for around $40 a night. Flights won't be cheap from anywhere I guess

de_hell t1_j6kxc5o wrote

If you live in US you should be able to afford . Just save up a little.

−21

M1dj37 t1_j6lcg4q wrote

I don’t think you know how unreasonable that suggestion is in the us these days.

Spartan2470 t1_j6k033p wrote

Credit to /u//u/braybraywoowoo.

Also, it looks like this image has been vertically stretched.

Edit: IgnoredAegina64 appears to be a bot. The account has the following two activities:

Its comment in this thread is a copy paste of /u/freewaytrees's previous top comment.

Its comment here is a copy/paste of /u/OrangeJuiceAlibi's previous top comment.

For anyone not familiar with karma-farming bots (and how they hurt reddit and redditors), this page or this page may help to explain.

once_showed_promise t1_j6ls834 wrote

I heard it's a great place to visit, but living there takes atoll.

jiccc t1_j6m35bt wrote

Why is that? Purely the cost of living?

−2

olgil75 t1_j6m6o6c wrote

They're making a pun because the island of Bora Bora is surrounded by a ring of coral reef, which is otherwise known as an "atoll."

jiccc t1_j6m86da wrote

Aaah thank you. Did not know that.

I_Worship_Brooms t1_j6md7bi wrote

Well for me personally, island there and isle take a while to get used to things. Shore, it's beautiful at first, but the heat can be a beach.

CrystalStilts t1_j6mhzaj wrote

Although that’s a pun many islands and atolls in French Polynesian only have ships deliver food every 10-14 days so when the ship first arrives you have tomatos and lettuce and broccoli, eggs butter etc. at the shop. By the 7th day there’s maybe a few carrots and potato’s and a few onions until the ship arrives again to resupply that smol island or atoll.

SaintDanger t1_j6ldpmz wrote

Went there for my honeymoon. Eleven years later I still frequently recall the splendor of waking up in that over water bungalow and jumping directly into the ocean, perfect white clouds and clear blue waters. Tahiti left me awe struck. What up Intercontinental Thalasso!! Take me back!!!

timmaywi t1_j6l0aqr wrote

Bora Bora? More like Bora Boring

pscrilla t1_j6lpm79 wrote

Okay 🙄🙄🙄 it’s a beautiful island and and incredible place to visit. Tahiti is filled with incredibly island and I’d certainly recommend Tahaa and moorea. But no reason to hate on Bora Bora

Shiromi55 t1_j6lroac wrote

It's from an ad. I guess the joke flew over your head :( look it up, I think it's from a Progressive ad.

qwertyusrname t1_j6k84o6 wrote

Beautiful, been there the water looks fake

BearMethod t1_j6jyovk wrote

"Bora bora, Jay. Bora bora"

DinaDinaDinaBatman t1_j6k16dj wrote

wow cool pic, i havent seen it from this angle before.... i have a black and white photo of my grandfather with some of his crew going ashore in a longboat circa 43-45 by the looks of the alcove and surrounding mountains i would say my grandfathers pic was taken in the entrance to the alcove {center pic here)

Stillallwell t1_j6ksi26 wrote

There's prolly a smoke monster on that island.

healing-souls t1_j6js6dg wrote

It'll be sad to see it go

Chinghouse t1_j6knu0v wrote

straight out of One Piece

cld1984 t1_j6l521s wrote

Pretty sure that’s Te Fiti

Rumokain t1_j6la8zu wrote

I want to go to bora bora, but I'm poora poora.

just_some_dude05 t1_j6lnn5m wrote

Just spent an hour researching moving to Bora Bora

LivesOfJay t1_j6lnsw9 wrote

Literally one of the few places in the world that I have to see at-least once.

SupaPoopa300 t1_j6m0vfc wrote

You know why I don’t travel to Bora Bora? Cuz’ I am Poora Poora.

evenmonkeys t1_j6o2v0j wrote

How does the island not flood all the time with changing tides? Or does it?

dchallenge t1_j6kji1y wrote

Can’t hear Bora bora without hearing it in a Pirate accent.

-Suck-My-Fish-Stix- t1_j6l2r9w wrote

It almost doesn't even look real...it's like a really detailed looking painting wow

TheSchlaf t1_j6l5ukp wrote

So nice, they named it twice.

jfq722 t1_j6lbn62 wrote

Great movie, too: Bora, Bora, Bora ;)

dlee420 t1_j6ljywh wrote

El presidente

ggchappell t1_j6lp5d3 wrote

> The most beautiful Island in the World!

Based on your pic, that's tough to argue with.

Tenalp t1_j6lrew9 wrote

I tap it to cast Ponder.

ijustateaburger t1_j6m0ld6 wrote

I couldn’t believe I had to scroll this far down on this here neckbeard website to find a Magic: The Gathering comment. In response I’ll tap 2 blue and Counterspell.

iFlyskyguy t1_j6lrfye wrote

Fuuuuuuuck Bora Bora... it's the Dubai of Oceania. Sold out to look like literally every soulless, manicured, Hilton-esque, resort "oAsiS" on the planet.

Moorea is infinitely more beautiful

Maximum-Face-953 t1_j6lumkk wrote

Looks like never never land. Is there a big compass in the water near this

nato2271 t1_j6ly43l wrote

I want to go to there..

bat_in_the_stacks t1_j6m0xyd wrote

It looks like it will drown everyone at high tide.

ThePooley t1_j6m3l80 wrote

You forgot the nuclear thing.

BMWDUKE t1_j6m4rzh wrote

What is there to do there? It looks absolutely barren.

tornadogenesis t1_j6m6cv0 wrote

I think you mean: Bora Bora, "the most beautiful island in the world!"

Tetrylene t1_j6m85uc wrote

Looks prone to a crysis

hldsnfrgr t1_j6m8zrq wrote

Tora Bora pales in comparison.

atomicrutabaga t1_j6mba61 wrote

When I hear “Bora Bora” I think of the Bora Bora Waters febreze. I love the vent clips for the car.

SPlRlT- t1_j6mhsdz wrote

Reminds me of Scarif from Star Wars, was this island the inspiration for it?

kaminabis t1_j6mz6pn wrote

Too bad water levels are rising

gotmewrong66 t1_j6n8617 wrote

Nice quotes, Randy, looks official

Babock93 t1_j6nzbdz wrote

Yes … doesn’t look like Much to do there though

codamission t1_j6on2te wrote

You cannot look at this and tell me it isn't a supervillain lair.

Dr-Retz t1_j6p9woi wrote

Looks warm.

JonesyOnReddit t1_j6kcz3q wrote

I prefer the Maldives, plus theres 1200 of them so while expensive its less expensive than Bora Bora.

redshift83 t1_j6kt0n8 wrote

seems like a question of where you live.... europe -> maldives direct vs USA -> tahiti direct. how long does it take you to go to maldives? SFO->PPT (Tahiti main land is 8.5hours).

redshift83 t1_j6lgmvx wrote

I wouldn’t make bora bora the focus of my trip to FP but it’s definitely nice. I didn’t notice bugs at all when I was there, but some people complain incessantly (my wife).

JonesyOnReddit t1_j6kweoe wrote

I was awake for 50 hours straight on the trip back one of the times, can't sleep on a plane or in a terminal, its kinda an awful trip. To be fair the last few hours of that was to watch a football game and hit 50 hours. I'm in the US. Never found a way to do it without an overnight layover in dubai or sri lanka (at least not affordably).LAX->Dubai->(sometimes)sri lanka->male->boat or sea plane to resort. For whatever reason, both times I went, the sri lanka stop was only on the trip there or the trip back, not both.

​

I've looked at Bora Bora instead but its more expensive, apparently has a ton of bugs (none in maldives), and looking at bad review of bora bora trips compared to bad review of maldives trips is comparing real complaints to Karens.

minifat t1_j6kt4y8 wrote

Anyone remember playing Bora Bora Island on LittleBigPlanet?

nexostar t1_j6kt573 wrote

Must be strong af riptide

karlmeile t1_j6l4eng wrote

It feels like where earth began. It’s beautiful

MaxR76 t1_j6l9ez1 wrote

Mata Nui

CalabreseAlsatian t1_j6lbbd8 wrote

“Most beautiful”?

Somebody hasn’t been to Stater Island.

Flashjordan69 t1_j6miw05 wrote

Controversial take here but Orkneys better 😉

icnoevil t1_j6k3xea wrote

Hey, I thought that was a cave where Ossoma Bin Laden hid out.

−5