Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

whenwillthisend19 t1_ite6d9x wrote

Reply to comment by SWPenn in what did Gimbels sell? by Daywalkingvampire

Forgot Eiben &Errs on 10th? Where the bus bought it. Bought my first set of golf clubs there. 1969 maybe.

SultanOfSwat0123 t1_itew72n wrote

So funny Eiben story. He owned C. Mel Eiben’s Jewelry shop downtown too. I was like 14 years old golfing at Frosty Valley and I get paired with C. Mel Eiben and his grandson. Now old man Eiben was VERY old at the time and the grandson was probably old enough to be my father. Had no business being anywhere within 1000 miles of a golf course as he could barely move. But I was a polite kid and listened to his stories the entire round with great fervor. Nearing the end of the round he tells me he wrote an autobiography and basically demands that I give him my address to send it to me. I complied thinking I was appeasing him and that it would be free and about a month or two later it comes packaged (autographed and all) in a large manilla envelope in the mail with a mailing address to send like $25 back for the book. I was a kid but I will never forget thinking, “Holy shit I got hustled by a 90 year old man.” It was hysterical. My next thought was, “How the Hell am I going to explain to Mom that I need $25 to send to this old guy for a book I didn’t want?”

The next time I go to my mom’s I’m going to have to do some digging around as I’m sure it’s still there hidden away somewhere.

https://obituaries.post-gazette.com/obituary/casper-melvin-eiben-1081516808

His obituary even mentions the book, Forks in the Road. Based on my math he would have been about 84 so not quite as old as I thought but holy cow what a character.