Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

da_london_09 t1_itpwiux wrote

No raises in 16 years? I would have left long ago....

icestormsurfing t1_itq0x9c wrote

To go where? There's only so many venues in the city and not very many openings.

da_london_09 t1_itq2w68 wrote

So how long do you stick around knowing that your services aren't appreciated in any way? I think after a handful of years without any sort of increase you might want to look elsewhere. Otherwise it gets to be like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.

icestormsurfing t1_itq3xrf wrote

Right but again unless you're independently wealthy, you have to jump to something that pays your bills. I know some former PG reporters and photographers personally and they don't always have a lot of options. It's not a great climate for either career.

No-Lifeguard-8173 t1_itq3rqz wrote

What did blacksmiths do when cars became popular? What did typewriter repairmen do when computers became popular? What did blockbuster employees do when netflix became popular?

Cryptic_Skies t1_itq6b4k wrote

> what did blockbuster employees do when netflix became popular?

probably cursed the ceo of blockbuster for not purchasing netflix when they had the chance and then got an account.

may not apply to the bend oregon location

sopmaeThrowaway t1_itqftec wrote

I left my job as a photojournalist back in 2008 when the tribune review shut down gateway news. There was nothing else to do. I sure wasted a lot of money on a career that didn’t exist 3 years later.

da_london_09 t1_itqlfuk wrote

Photo Journalist isn't a career anymore? What?

DesertedPenguin t1_itqx6zn wrote

As a full-time with benefits career? Not really. Most major news outlets have a select few photographers on staff as full-time employees and then hire freelancers to fill out the rest of the coverage they need.

Small papers in the suburbs and in rural areas don't have any full-time photographers and use only freelancers.

Kidspud t1_itpybpa wrote

Anyone else judging the writers who continue to cross the picket line?

fuckmelikeawh0re t1_itpnkp6 wrote

If the paper is holding back black journalists and printing xenophobia why in the world would we want them to stick around? How many employees are we talking? Can't we all just help them find better jobs and move on from this?

−6

pedantic_comments t1_itpvmwr wrote

It’s not the paper doing this - it’s conservative owners, the Block family.

This was a well-respected, liberal publication with a history that goes back over two centuries. It’s not easy to rebuild cultural institutions with legacies like this - it would be much better to repair it.

fuckmelikeawh0re t1_itr9h2o wrote

Keyword is was. Why are we supporting a person most claim is a right wing maniac? If Trump swoops in and buys a nostalgic Pittsburgh company, treats the employees like shit and turns around to use the profits to push his agenda we are all cool with that as well?

Yes, some of the employees will have a rough transition, and I feel for that, but why help feed the beast? Bankrupt them then the city paper can buy the name back....

pedantic_comments t1_itrau4w wrote

You are assuming if you kill the PPG, something as good or better will reappear. This is very unlikely.

You are also assuming that we, as a city, will somehow retain these journalists with no employer AND you’ve made up your mind that the news desk shares the political views of their employer - which is absolutely not the case.

Support workers. Support unions. Support rigorous investigative journalism. These people work hard to bring news to you and are fighting back for causes you support.

You wouldn’t close a grocery store because the workers strike and want a raise but the owners are Republican kleptocrats, would you?

fuckmelikeawh0re t1_itrbqbz wrote

So chic fil a donating to anti-gay organizations is cool with you? Trump hotel rewards member? I spend money with businesses that have views I agree with whenever possible, and in 2022, I have a fuck ton of options... it's 2022, those writers can still get their word out quite easily and will only be a lost asset if they decide to be...

−1

pedantic_comments t1_its7ng6 wrote

Maybe this argument made sense to someone who doesn’t know the difference between a chicken sandwich and a local newspaper?

fuckmelikeawh0re t1_itsy9zs wrote

Keep supporting tyrants I won't stand in your way. Mastriano needs donations too !

nmezib t1_itryhlf wrote

Because the journalists aren't the managers.