Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

capt_lunatic t1_j18cvf1 wrote

I highly recommend Weather On The Way for iOS (if you have it.) There are pro versions you can upgrade to but you get like 5 trips free initially. Just used it to drive to Illinois from Pittsburgh.

happyjazzycook OP t1_j18e3r7 wrote

This is great, thanks so much everyone. I need to be there sometime early afternoon to help my Mom get my Dad settled into his nursing home room (merry f-ing christmas to us) and I'm ready to go, just have to figure out the best time, weather-wise, to leave.

alquix t1_j18vcm9 wrote

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he will have good care. We resisted with my grandmother but ended up being better for her. Still difficult and sad.

happyjazzycook OP t1_j191lm8 wrote

Thank you, this wasn't totally unexpected but the timing couldn't be worse 🙄

malepitt t1_j18d6gr wrote

Elements of weather conditions are incorporated into the highway conditions map https://www.511pa.com/

RollTideMeg t1_j18ujz7 wrote

This is awesome. It shows the salt trucks in my area (not in Pgh City limits)

HistoryHunk1991 t1_j18k5o0 wrote

511PA app gives pretty accurate road/highway conditions. Plus any accidents or advisories.

We had to pull off the turnpike because the road was so bad. Currently enjoying Dennys breakfast in Bedford.

1_Anywhere_But_Here t1_j18v5ka wrote

Was it just getting icy? I'm hoping it improves in a few hours with rising temperatures.

HistoryHunk1991 t1_j18ykjt wrote

When we drove into Bedford (Eastbound) the roads were covered in snow/slush. But, that was before the plow trucks scraped it off. Mt. Pleasant to Somerset was a mixture of rain, ice, and snow. We decided to keep on heading East. The roads are not that bad past Bedford towards Breezewood.

pghgreatest t1_j19cf9k wrote

Somerset weather is always weird . Not sure if it’s cuz of altitude

1_Anywhere_But_Here t1_j18yoz8 wrote

Awesome. Thank you so much for the update. I really appreciate it. Safe travels and happy holidays to you and your family!

ballsonthewall t1_j18d1j3 wrote

You'll be fine today, light to moderate rain. Nasty stuff doesn't arrive until early tomorrow.

Jazzlike_Breadfruit9 t1_j18daw2 wrote

It’s snowing in Altoona right now.

beingrudewonthelp t1_j18eksl wrote

I also saw a couple snowflakes a little north of pgh, but it's now turning to rain as I speak. I think travel today will still be mostly ok. Drive like it's raining if it's raining, ofc. But nothing to freak out about, yet.

ballsonthewall t1_j18ewjr wrote

Yup! Some cold air is trapped near the surface over central and eastern PA! We think of weather as 2D rain and snow plotted on a radar map, but temps aloft are often the crucial factor in different winter precip types!

pinkpharmacist19 t1_j18fe5g wrote

Curious about tomorrow in our end. It’s so hard to tell how things will be and at what time to make the safest choice

Buttface_Miscreant_ t1_j19vv3b wrote

Disagree with others here saying roads will be fine by evening. The flash freeze in the morning will cause icing. Most road treatments are ineffective below 15 degrees and we won’t get above freezing until Wednesday of next week.

Personally, I wouldn’t plan to go anywhere.

ballsonthewall t1_j18k8v8 wrote

the front will pass in the morning hours, expect temps to drop through the 30's to near 0 from around 4 am to around 11 am. rain will change to snow and wind will gust to 50+ mph. traveling at that time will be dangerous to impossible. once things pass through and snow tapers off late morning, it's going to be cold and icy but manageable.

pinkpharmacist19 t1_j18l54j wrote

Thanks for this! We won’t be leaving until later in the evening so are hoping it’s okay by then

ballsonthewall t1_j18lq8l wrote

take your time and you'll be fine by then, major roads will definitely be treated

DudeBroManGuyFellow t1_j193rwi wrote

There's a party that I feel pretty obligated to attend tomorrow - and there would be familial and work consequences if I skipped/played sick.

I don't want to go.

Are you telling me the roads are going to be fine? :(

robin_terrae t1_j18no6s wrote

I was supposed to leave for Jersey tomorrow (22 - 99 - 80) and I’m putting it off until Saturday.

Wonderful_Ad_2201 t1_j1dgbra wrote

My mom was supposed to drive to NJ on Saturday. She’s coming up on Sunday. Very windy conditions in NE PA today so be careful.

onlypostcausimscardw t1_j19qcw9 wrote

Be prepared for pile ups crashes. As in being in one and being stuck in one. 3-4 years ago is when they had the interstate shutdown for 3 days and people were stuck in there car.

Bring food, water, lots of extra clothing, blankets and a full tank of gas.

If you’re find you’re self in one, stay in your car. That’s your protection. I see so many videos of people getting out dodging other cars.

radcupcake t1_j18ssyx wrote

I use Morecast’s route weather

https://morecast.com/en/plan-your-route

You can put in your trip and the time you plan to leave and it’ll give you the weather along the way. I’ve used it for years, I frequently drive across the state.

1_Anywhere_But_Here t1_j18uyqr wrote

I'm someone else who's also looking to head east at some point today. There are turnpike cameras and like others have said the 511 website is helpful with advisories. If you check out the cameras, from like Somerset through Harrisburg there is snow right now, but temperatures are supposed to increase around 1:00 2:00, which should hopefully help.

Edit: Sorry, just saw that you said 79 and not 76, which is the turnpike.

ministryofsound t1_j1b0954 wrote

Just get there before tomorrow; travel tomorrow won't be possible