Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

misterpeanutsman t1_ivcpmo6 wrote

with a record like that i assume providence police were also recruiting him

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivd6y7q wrote

He was cut.

FunLife64 t1_ivf0w2n wrote

To be fair he was cut AFTER the backlash. Including the NHL commissioner openly criticizing it.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivf5fcj wrote

Oh, the Boston Bruins organization completely embarrassed themselves in this whole ordeal.

He was a bottom half of the draft prospect as is and they did zero due diligence and basically bid the max amount for a guy who wasn’t eligible to play and had zero other teams interested.

fishythepete t1_iveuniv wrote

Goes without saying that what this guy did was heinous, but he was also 14. I have to wonder how many folks willing to string him up made mistakes at that age.

−11

frenetix t1_ivf3unw wrote

Not many of us make the kind of mistakes that end up with a criminal record. It's not like this was a stupid one time event like a fight or a stolen car.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivf5lif wrote

It also took place over years and the closest he’s come to showing remorse is regretting that there’s consequences

fishythepete t1_ivf6hnr wrote

>the closest he’s come to showing remorse is regretting that there’s consequences

You know this how?

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivfjuio wrote

Multiple statements from his, his agents and lawyers and a victim who’s said he’s made no effort to apologize.

This isn’t a new story. There’s been a lot written about it in the last two years.

fishythepete t1_ivfkrqp wrote

>Multiple statements from his, his agents and lawyers and a victim who’s said he’s made no effort to apologize.

He, his agents, and lawyers say he his only regrets were that he faced consequences and that he made no effort to apologize? Weird. I read an article that noted an apology was part of the original sentencing, and that the victim’s family wanted a personal apology over and above that.

>This isn’t a new story. There’s been a lot written about it in the last two years.

Cool. Maybe you can source some of your assertions?

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivgwbj0 wrote

The Arizona republic put a pretty long piece about it when he was drafted and kicked to the curb the first time.

There was a ton of coverage when this shit actually happened. The only thing that’s changed since then is he’s looked sorta good in the USHL and the Bruins were dumb enough to treat him like some prized gem and skip any level of due diligence. The only new part of the story is the Bruins deciding to look like idiots.

fishythepete t1_ivf6t74 wrote

So where is the line drawn? Stealing a car is fine, bullying isn’t? Is it the racial component? I’m honestly curious what leads you to believe that in the case behavior by a 14 year old is irredeemable.

There’s a movement to make it impermissible to ask about felony history precisely because we believe justice should be meted out by the justice system, not the general population, and because we recognize that people can change.

−1

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivgx1u3 wrote

When the “mistake” is nearly a decade long pattern of malicious behavior, I think showing real contrition and an effort to atone for the behavior is the first prerequisite.

The reason pretty much everyone except you and Cam Neely have a “fuck this kid” viewpoint is because it’s pretty clear that contrition and remorse is in doubt.

fishythepete t1_ivhwc9x wrote

Imagine unironically using the phrase “a decade long pattern of malicious behavior” to refer to something that started when he was in first grade. Completely unhinged.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_ivhy73t wrote

Not as unhinged as defending and excusing someone physically and mentally torturing a developmentally disabled kid for years. That is not normal kid behavior. That’s sociopath shit.

I don’t even get what your angle is here? Are you just that sycophantic towards the team where you refuse to admit it’s fucked up after even they admitted it? Or do you feel personally oppressed because you “nobody lets you say the n word anymore” or some shit.

Nothing about this pattern of abhorrent behavior was normal “boys will be boys” shit.

sandsonik t1_ivjiqwh wrote

Imagine behaving like that for TEN years, and only stopping because you were criminally convicted. Completely unhinged. It's not a one-off stupid kid thing, anymore than Dahmer torturing animals was. It's a personality trait.

Jerkeyjoe t1_ivbz4g1 wrote

When I heard this I had a thought about it. People who act like that are scum, and yes that should be taken in to account when being considered for any job. But on the other hand If this guy is truly sorry, regrets his actions and put work into correcting his actions, I'd be happy to see him succeed

−38

Dopey-NipNips t1_ivckpuu wrote

He didn't apologize until the court ordered him to, then did absolutely nothing else until the bruins made him apologize again