Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_sarten t1_ixh9rc9 wrote

You must leave by boat under a full moon if you do not want to return

honeybunches17 t1_ixh0md2 wrote

14 years - grew up here and left after high school, just moved back to be closer to my parents. I was nervous but wow, Richmond rules haha

2ndruncanoe t1_ixh9i4h wrote

Same here, 15 years. Took a while for the career stars to align (niche scientific specialty).

Ditovontease t1_ixh267t wrote

4 years but I was spending the weekends in richmond anyway so

also a lakeside boy (as in he grew up in lakeside) told me that there's an urban legend in richmond that unless you leave via "the old indian trail" (which is Parham), you'll be back.

DeannaZone t1_ixgjk04 wrote

Me and my husband were trying to move out of VA since we got together, however, I set a time limit, if we do not move after 10 years attempting, we would stay here. After 10 years of research, VA is better then elsewhere, despite stuff going on lately. So technically all that research and searching outside of Richmond, about 1 year's worth.

BugggJuice t1_ixg95ic wrote

longest i lasted was march 2020 to august 2022

Odd_Attention_999 OP t1_ixg9v70 wrote

Interesting. What made you come back?

BugggJuice t1_ixga4g1 wrote

i'm someone who doesn't have a license or a car. when i was living with my parents in the burbs i had no sense of independence. urban sprawl meant if i wanted to go anywhere i'd have to bike 5 miles there's and it just wasn't feasible for me

i needed to come back here because although things are still tough here without a car, our public transport is still way more robust than where i was living prior.

i can walk, bike, bus, uber anywhere here so i was able to regain independence that way.

getting a car is definitely still on the this of things to do but that might be another year or two in the making.

tldr: i have a greater sense of independence here

BlueXTC t1_ixh0af8 wrote

First time 1.5 years. Second time 10 months. Once you live here is calls you back and when you come back you wonder why you left.

[deleted] t1_ixh5bnb wrote

[deleted]

coconut_sorbet t1_ixhdpat wrote

I've read this four times and I still don't get the pun...

Charlesinrichmond t1_ixhevas wrote

ha! I only read it twice... then I went looking for the explanation in the comments to see what I was missing

anonyngineer t1_ixkhvi4 wrote

Thought I'd be the longest, but only 28 years for me.

DefaultSubsAreTerrib t1_ixh4dzk wrote

Still trying to boomerang my way out of Richmond...

rolieepoliees t1_ixot079 wrote

Same! Best of luck to us getting out (and hopefully not boomerang-ing back in)

xTiredSoulx t1_ixh7urr wrote

Left in 98, back in 2006.

_sarten t1_ixh9m1a wrote

6 years the first time. Now, it is just home base for lots of travel.

noahrbc t1_ixi0fu4 wrote

Is this really a Richmond thing? I feel like this basically applies to anywhere someone grew up.

Cultural_Ad9508 t1_ixkwg98 wrote

I’ve lived in 3 other states and I do think this is a unique feature of Richmond. Atleast, the extent of this phenomena is unique to Richmond. Quality of life in RVA is hard to beat in my opinion.

RedditorsAreRetarts t1_ixic7w2 wrote

Nah it’s just another way the smalltown RVA tribe tries to pretend that Richmond is a unique gem in the solar system and that the stars orient toward the 804

bettygreatwhite t1_ixh0j2c wrote

First time, about 15 months. Second time, two and a half years or so.

Lanky_Ad_9605 t1_ixhbaa9 wrote

Aside from college, 5 years in Asia.

twocakes2 t1_ixhc8f4 wrote

1 year and 3 months

Dawgs1103 t1_ixheq6b wrote

2005-2020

RVA > Vail > Athens GA > LA > Durham > NYC > RVA

What a long strange trip it’s been!

BubbleWrapGuy t1_ixhu5wi wrote

3.25 years. I still miss the weather and how walkable everything was in relation to where I lived, but I don't miss how expensive everything was.

theythinkImcommunist t1_ixj0fql wrote

Left for a job in 1991. Spent 19 years in TN and SC. Turned out to be a good decision, job wise. Took early retirement and came back To Richmond in 2010 for a small company job. That turned out to be a toxic work place and I'm not retired but happy we moved back.

Impossible_South605 t1_ixisc8r wrote

One year. Moved to Charleston sc this year. Wayyyy overpriced and overhyped. Everyone here is from New York or Ohio. Can’t wait to be back in RVA.

machsmit t1_ixiu840 wrote

16 years - moved to Boston for college and got stuck, permanent remote work means I could move back closer to family

Last-Egg4029 t1_ixj5hi7 wrote

3 years, each time and it's been 3x now

jeffcren t1_ixjbixx wrote

Left in ‘94, moved back in ‘98.