Submitted by Hurlaroid t3_yleh8r in rva

Hey y’all,

Relocating to Richmond in December to Church Hill and wanted to see if anyone else has already solved for having an electric car but only street parking? Do you install the charger at the curb? Put it in the alley? Stick to using public chargers?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RulerOfTheRest t1_iuy0f5v wrote

There is 0 guarantee that you'll be able to park in the same place every day on the street, and you can't block the alley. Ideally, you'll be able to get your car into your backyard from the alley and place one there, and unless you're buying your house, don't expect to have a fast charger...

Good luck!

lunar_unit t1_iuy5mai wrote

Closest public Tesla Superchargers to Church Hill are probably at White Oak Mall on Laburnum, near the Petsmart & Target. About 20 Superchargers in a parking lot close to Interstate 64.

There are also a few Tesla Destination chargers sprinkled around the East End, including at Triple Crossing Brewery on Hatcher, but IDK how accessible the rest are.

RulerOfTheRest t1_iuy7eop wrote

That would be the ideal way, plus it'll make sure that you always have a spot to park in, and you won't have to worry about moving it when they do street cleaning. When my brother lived in Westover Hills, they had a couple of spots in the back and it made their lives so much easier.

dreww4546 t1_iuy90y0 wrote

There's an apt near me in museum district that just run some sort of cord out the window. I'm not sure how they make it work.

JustDyslexic t1_iuykmh0 wrote

There are actually a couple standards. Musk did say anyone could use the Tesla charger but no company has taken them up on it. Tesla also hasn't opened their chargers to other companies

There are a fair amount of chargers around the area

Charlesinrichmond t1_iuyl9ha wrote

I don't think electric car and street parking is a viable recipe for happiness I'm afraid

lunar_unit t1_iuynbde wrote

Your post made me think of exactly this. There are millions of street-parked cars in every city across America that will eventually be replaced with EVs. How overnight charging for so many vehicles will be addressed is a huge question.

1151am t1_iuyrs3s wrote

!remind me in 10 years.

Joking aside, and not that I think I'm right and you're wrong, but people were saying the exact same thing in 2012 and here I am still driving my 1994 accord. I think you're a little too optimistic about the future.

Hurlaroid OP t1_iuyupwu wrote

Idk man I was in Shanghai in 2019 and everything had gone electric, scooters to sedans. Most car manufacturers are looking to phase out gas power in the next 10 years at this point. We shall seeeeeee

−2

bird-child t1_iuyvk35 wrote

I’ve seen some folks in Church Hill charging their cars via an extension cord through their front door. Not sure if you’d need an adapter or some other special equipment though.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iuyxr4i wrote

Even if they do given that cars have a 10 to 20 year lifespan there will be a gazillion gas cars on the road still. Take a look and see if you can find any 2012 civics driving around right now...

goodsam2 t1_iuzi2mg wrote

Disagree on 10 years gas cars last 15 years. They won't be selling basically any new gas cars but how to figure that out is probably hooking up to city power in those spots

goodsam2 t1_iuzicyc wrote

I think trickle chargers in a couple of spots but the best way to be green is density and less personal motorized vehicles.

In Richmond this probably looks like living close to work and a grocery store and going to a 1 car household as a couple.

Edit: they did a study and the average American moving to NYC cuts their carbon emissions in half.

freaknprtorican t1_iuzjmr9 wrote

You guys have no idea what you're talking about. The Tesla charging standard is significantly more efficient than the CCS standard others use. Not only that, but "Lord Suck" is currently making every effort to open Tesla superchargers to other [equally valid] EVs.

Manufacturers just don't want to.

https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Apple's Firwire was significantly faster than USB, but USB was way cheaper. So all the [frugal companies] invested in USB. CCS isn't much different.

Great technology constantly loses to cheaper technology.

*Edited for harsh language the morning after.

−3

freaknprtorican t1_iuzjx50 wrote

Well the local electricity Monopoly announced a large charging park(inglot) not far from Church Hill, but everyone here dumped on it.

−1

1151am t1_iv0iz7s wrote

I don't disagree with that. I have nothing against electric vehicles. I hope to be able to afford one one day.

My point was that people think electric vehicles will be the only vehicles soon, meanwhile they've been predicting that since the first Tesla left the factory doors. Add to that the fact that millions of people will never be able to afford even a used electric vehicle anytime soon.

in ten years, are electric vehicles going to be very popular, most likely selling more than gas vehicles? Definitely.

Are they going to be popular enough that we'll have street chargers for people living in the city? I highly doubt that will happen within the next 10 years.

ExtremeHobo t1_iv0s6p0 wrote

I have several friends with electric cars in the city that get by only using public chargers. It's not a big deal unless you have some insane commute.

goodsam2 t1_iv0ub5f wrote

I think it will happen in some places.

Electric cars have been doubling in production worldwide for awhile and are projected to be cheaper than new gas cars on initial price in the next few years. The batteries needed to cross the $100/KWH mark and they are at $120. Battery prices have been plummeting for decades and renewables when they are on are turning into basically free energy with how much they have plummeted in cost.

Right now it's hard to see but projections show this is peak demand of oil because 10% of new cars worldwide are electric. The US lags in the electric car market.

It's also in America the average purchase price for a new vehicle is $47k so price isn't as big of a concern in the aggregate so this has runway before it gets cheaper.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iv1jh2l wrote

exactly. And I bet it will be going fine a decade from now. Don't get me wrong, I would like electric, but I expect I will be driving my Toyota truck for a good long time. And even when I sell it, someone else will be driving it.

leave alone the whole structural issue of chargers