Submitted by Johoku t3_zmjkv9 in rva

Hi, while I’ve returned to RVA a few times since we moved our when I was a kid, we pretty much exclusively spent time with family, avoiding the city center. Now I’m trying to google things I remember, but it’s difficult to tell what’s still “the same” 33 years later. Can you help me out? Old pictures are fine, too, because I lack specifics on some of these I can’t event find a photo.

New York Deli - I mean, it sure looks like it’s going well; there’s the subway tile and everything; wasn’t there just one of them ages ago?

“New York Deli …except on Cary Street” - let’s imagine you kept walking past the Byrd, on the left side I remember a pretty definitive deli-style sandwich shop.

Sixth-Street Marketplace or Similar - I think this might have actually closed before we left, but man there was a wonderful department store anchor and a food court with white and black style and sort of a relaxed bistro dining atmosphere. What might be similar to this?

Christmas HO train set displays - there were three or four of these downtown. Maybe there was nothing more beautiful to 7-8 year old me?

Any statues that AREN’T confederate war heroes - man, even living abroad for 15 years I saw on the news all the statues coming down. I’d like to see something I grew up with.

And, perhaps the number one definitive vibe: yet another New York-style place, except a bakery that sold rectangular croissants with strawberry jam and cream cheese. It was near a downtown park with a lake. Reddit trophies if you can help me with this

Finally, is there a place to find elementary alumni photos/lists? JB Fisher kid here; Ms. Jackson’s kindergarten class 87-88; Ms. Bowlin 1st grade 88-89, and for what it’s worth was Giving Tree preschooler the year before that.

Thanks!

Edit: the model trains were in the banking center area; “shocko bottom,” if that makes sense to y’all

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheCheeseDevil t1_j0bc9fy wrote

George Washington and his merry band of Revolutionaries are still standing on the edge of the Capitol grounds.

Johoku OP t1_j0bcg8o wrote

Thanks, that’s perfect.

thoselongsleeves t1_j0bpwod wrote

the Bill "Bojangles" Robinson statue is still there in Jackson Ward, too

koshertacohouse t1_j0bvzy6 wrote

I was going to say the Arthur Ashe Monument, but I took a second to check the math and TIL it only went up in '96 so OP probably missed it by a few years.

Chickenmoons t1_j0bem7e wrote

Sounds like you’re talking about Coppola’s Deli in Carytown. They’ve been around since around then. Rostov’s coffee is still around too but they moved to Main st. in the Fan.

For pastries like you’re talking about Sub Rosa in Church Hill, Idle Hands on the Fan or Up All Night in Lakeside would be your best bets for getting something similar.

Sixth Street Marketplace still exists it’s just boarded up and very sad looking. Coliseum is also still there but closed up and gated off.

The Diamond is still here but at the end of its life and scheduled to be replaced but I’ll believe that when it happens.

Maymont is still here and worth a visit. The Carillon too for that matter.

Johoku OP t1_j0bf9i6 wrote

Damn, thanks! That’s definitely Coppola’s Deli.

wtfareyounow t1_j0be72s wrote

The 6th street marketplace was dead on arrival. People would go just to go to Benetton then not at all. I worked at a place in the food court when they opened. I had to quit because the good weed I used to counter ennui cost more than my $4 hour lifestyle could handle.

Johoku OP t1_j0bfm8x wrote

This is bizarrely helpful. I’d cross for one side to the other for a single, brilliant purpose - look at the Kite Store and it’s weird wind-up European bird toys

opienandm t1_j0bpa8o wrote

The bakery was likely Jean-Jacques in the Carytown Court shopping center. It closed in June 2020 after the deaths of the owners. Very sad.

Johoku OP t1_j0c1r3y wrote

Oh man, Jean-Jacques? That’s one of the few places I COULD remember; terrible news.

foodlion t1_j0cafry wrote

I think it was an agreed upon murder-suicide, if i remember correctly 😕

kfrenchie89 t1_j0devc4 wrote

I believe it was a double suicide actually. Due to Sirius financial troubles.

smellslikebadussy t1_j0bdx54 wrote

Those croissants sound really familiar - was it a coffee shop on Cary Street near Babe’s?

(For whatever it’s worth nostalgia-wise, Babe’s is still there.)

Johoku OP t1_j0bfpry wrote

It might be! I’m literally pulling out memories from, at latest, September 1989. Checking now, but yes it was a coffee shop.

thoselongsleeves t1_j0bq1en wrote

Was Betsy's a coffee shop before Betsy got it? That is close to the Cary location you all are talking about.

Johoku OP t1_j0cdtbf wrote

We’re talking now with mom. Claire’s? (eclairs?)

RVAblues t1_j0dfd4n wrote

It was Jean-Jacques’ Bakery. They are (sadly) closed now. We currently do not have a European patisserie in town that I know of anymore, but you’ll find really good croissants at Sub Rosa in Church Hill.

thoselongsleeves t1_j0cg3z0 wrote

That was before my time in Carytown, unfortunately.

The only Claire's from when I was a kid was the one at the mall.

kfrenchie89 t1_j0c0ey9 wrote

New York Deli is still there but not what you remember. It was an actual NY style Jewish delicatessen then and very 70’s looking. It was bought, badly renovated/painted but in the same space. I think it was recently re renovated and hopefully better. You can see remnants and I’m told the roof patio is great.

It’s one of the oldest restaurants in town with the same name and the same space. There aren’t a ton left. Robin Inn and helen’s both are old too.

Joe’s inn has been around for that time! Looks the exact same. As was Millie’s but it’s only open for brunch now.

Much of Carytown looks/feels similar similarly. Cary court has been Cary court the whole time. It’s the oldest court in the country I believe.

Maymont and Byrd park (paddle boats) should feel familiar to you.

Many beautiful old schools remain the same. Notable mention to fox elementary.

Cappola’s is also the same! That’s the sand which shop. Same block as NY Deli.

Much of the river entrances have remained pretty much the the same. Pumphouse is often nostalgic for many esp being next to nickel bridge.

Walking through Oregon Hill still looks like Oregon Hill but with lost students. They’ve done a great job of keeping VCU encroachment out but we will see how long it lasts.

6th street should have never been built but uiy can go by and see the sign all covered in graffiti which is interesting. It’s just wasted space.

Johoku OP t1_j0c10rq wrote

Thank you, this was a wonderful review and it’s exactly the info I couldn’t really discern by googling.

Sailinger t1_j0c17lz wrote

Fox elementary burned down this spring. They’re currently rebuilding it, apparently trying to save the existing brick exterior.

chasetwisters t1_j0d0pdq wrote

If I recall the trains were at the James Center with the Grand Illumination. I haven't been in years to know if they still do them.

PercyDovetonsils t1_j0d2pj5 wrote

In the Omni? That’s the memory I have but I haven’t been down there in years and my memory is getting faultier daily.

chasetwisters t1_j0d31j5 wrote

That could be, yeah. Sounds like we're both fuzzy on the details but recall the same similar thing.

stickynohte t1_j0dnhrk wrote

Most elementary schools keep all of their old yearbooks - I wonder if you could give JB Fisher a call and arrange a time to pop in to sift through old copies.

If you grew up with Ukrops, obviously the grocery store itself has long gone, but they have a Market and Food Hall close to the University of Richmond.

Edit: there’s a richmond_before_now Instagram page that might be able to help too - he indicates the pictures themselves are from 2003-2016, but could possibly serve as a resource to bring back old memories.

Johoku OP t1_j0e32xz wrote

Stony Point Ukrops represent. I can’t quite put my finger on it but it was just a wonderful shop. Loved the big pictures / murals. Pour one out for Safeway as well on that note.

Tayl44 t1_j0exh0u wrote

Classmates—try the Facebook group Support Richmond Public Schools. They might have ideas on names or connecting.

Option_Perfect t1_j0f02z1 wrote

Bitter's (sp?) Suite has been closed for a long time.