Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jpk195 t1_j7faemh wrote

This is histotripsy - it’s like lithotripsy for cancer cells. There’s nothing mystical about this - it’s localized tissue destruction using incredibly high mechanical forces.

What’s new is that it induces an additional immune response.

snappedscissors t1_j7ffkl4 wrote

My favorite local tissue destruction idea is to tag iron nano particles with appropriate molecules to go stick to cancer cells, then stick the patient in an MRI machine. (Was it an MRI machine?) The particles heat up and kill the nearby cells, but the rest of the patient is unharmed.

dkysh t1_j7fq4mw wrote

I suspect these "physical disturbance" techniques could cause part of the cells on the principal tumor to detach, becoming potential metastases.

"Conventional" cancer treatments either make sure that the cell commits suicide/the immune system kills it, or remove the tumor from the body.

SOL-Cantus t1_j7g5byw wrote

This is 100% correct. We have a vast array of mechanical means to kill tumors, but very few pass the extra test of preventing therapy induced metastasis or other significantly detrimental damage. We're approaching a point where combination products may start to be viable, but that's "approaching" in the sense that the technology is just now becoming viable for further testing. We're nowhere near marketing of "nano tech" solutions (as many silicon valley types like to claim/dream up).

Edit: An addendum is that one of the biggest revelations these days isn't in treatment, but in the ability to track abnormal cell features. If you can target cancerous cells for uptake of specific elements/molecules, you can far more easily deal with larger growths well before their malignancy spreads further. This, however, only works for well defined tumors. Once you get into things like lymphomas, you're in a very different ballpark.

ThrowAway1638497 t1_j7flsuy wrote

I believe it was a microwave with gold nano particles. But it was years ago I first heard of it. probably went through a few iterations.

cygnoids t1_j7fndcc wrote

The do this currently with gold nanoparticles and directed light. Unfortunately, the light can only penetrate a few millimeters into the tissue so it’s not effective for most cancers. It’s called photothermal therapy.

New chemistries for PTT have been developed that can penetrate further into the tissue but still wouldn’t work for most cancers

snappedscissors t1_j7h445e wrote

I have a cat that was used to test some iron based ones. I’m not sure if it ended up working well enough in that for. The cat didn’t have cancer, they were targeting reproductive tissue before spaying surgically to be able to examine the outcome in the tissue.

DistortedVoid t1_j7j23uo wrote

There's a form of that already in existence, lookup microwave ablation.

zenzukai t1_j7fzfr2 wrote

Couldn't mechanical disruption lead to metastasized cancer?

sambull t1_j7ehvr8 wrote

oh no.. your going to get a lot of those crystal frequency people all riled up..

next you'll tell me they'll use vibrations / resonate cavities and microwaves to create a local polarized vacuum enabling extreme speed craft... or i guess that's what the navy claims https://patents.google.com/patent/US10144532B2/en

Ksradrik t1_j7f3y38 wrote

I always suspected that airplanes and vacuum cleaners run on pseudoscience.

Accelerator231 t1_j7faro3 wrote

Yeah. Really? Moving fast enough and a weird wing shape means you can fly?

Nonsense.

mario_x32 t1_j7fhmgg wrote

Wait till you learn that some people claim the egyptians build their pyramids using soundwaves. Mind Blowing.

TheRealBlerb t1_j7fnwhq wrote

A lot of ignorance in this thread

LeYellowFellow t1_j7gjea1 wrote

“If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. ” – Nikola Tesla

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”

• Nikola Tesla

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.”

• Albert Einstein

“Everything in Life is Vibration” – Albert Einstein

TheRealBlerb t1_j7gw90o wrote

Unfortunately, the current industries are churning and are fueled by the modern mechanics we’ve designed. We have to examine the mechanics of the universe and mimic it, just as our ancestors had to.

Hell, just last night I was singing with a water bottle on the table and watched it vibrate when I hit the perfect pitch. Doesn’t take a rocket surgeon or a beyond-basic knowledge of physics to come to these conclusions.

dissolutewastrel OP t1_j7ecrnj wrote

Reference:

> Pepple AL, Guy JL, McGinnis R, et al. Spatiotemporal local and abscopal cell death and immune responses to histotripsy focused ultrasound tumor ablation. Front Immunol. 2023;14.

> doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2023.1012799

HalfOrcMonk t1_j7fp0cm wrote

I don't know why everyone is so concerned about saving mice.

boomerangotan t1_j7gj6ze wrote

I wish we had an "in mice" tag on this subreddit so I don't get hopes up

dr_Octag0n t1_j7f8qdg wrote

Equips Weirding Module

kilrok t1_j7iqa1l wrote

Wrong subreddit, right comment. Long live the fighters!

Black_RL t1_j7fs2tu wrote

Maybe the cure by mantras has some truth to it?

zorflax t1_j7kqb53 wrote

Don/t cats purr as an adaptation to accelerate bone fracture healing? Maybe this is similar?

AutoModerator t1_j7ecjsz wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

paulgnz t1_j7gkacw wrote

Soooo.... turn the bass up?

Dominisi t1_j7ilg8q wrote

Unfortunately this study will be used as reinforcement of snake oil salesman selling sound therapy over the internet to desperate cancer victims.

My biological father fell pray to this, stopped his cancer treatment, and thought he was "melting" his small cell lung cancer tumors by drinking liquid he bought off a holistic healing website along with a $1000 dollar sound setup.

Truly sad.

TheLoneNazgul t1_j7iyxr2 wrote

How is drinking liquid the same as this post

Dominisi t1_j7ntiho wrote

Did you just stop reading at that point or?

TheLoneNazgul t1_j7o1bz7 wrote

No I read the whole thing. Explain to me how a snake salesman selling your father liquid is in anyway comparable to this post, besides the obvious attempt to discredit anything that isn’t mainstream healing

FalseTebibyte t1_j7hg1i5 wrote

and if you do it at a large enough scale for enough people, the ensuing physical damage is problematic, but when used on a large scale, is effective in inoculating an entire population effectively through the medium known as 'fear'

Tahoeclown t1_j7f1uqu wrote

Been saying this for years. There has to be frequencies/or combined frequencies that kill cancer cells but are benign to regular cells. And this probably applies to a much much broader application. Sound is the future.

−13

Draemeth t1_j7f51j6 wrote

I think the mistake people can make with findings like this is jumping from the reasonable “this new finding unlocks another small puzzle piece in a very large puzzle” to “this is the missing piece!”

Tahoeclown t1_j7f5lqd wrote

For sure. But, sometimes its that people can’t see the application and it takes years or decades to be accepted.

−4

Agitated_Narwhal_92 t1_j7fjdey wrote

Stahhhp. Just go with CRISPR. Why waste time talking about wild cure ideas which will probably never even see daylight? The earlier we can perfect and commence human trials for Gene therapy, the quicker it can be made available for market.

−14

The_Puss_Slayer t1_j7fnele wrote

"Nooooo don't make broad stroke searches for multiple cancer treatments, only look at this exact specific theoretical treatment I deem as the best with 0 human trials"

What.

Agitated_Narwhal_92 t1_j7fnwa4 wrote

Are you serious, there have been multiple human trials woth CRISPR. WHAT. We keep hearing a fucktonn of cancer cure researches. Someone checked the algae that grows on a sloth's body because of mack of movement and found anti cancer properties in the algae. What are we, gunna harvest sloth algae now? What I meant is the money that is spent on cancer research is finite and such resource should be allocated to something that can give verifiable result in a reasonable time frame. Which CRISPR does. Sound waves, algae, Indian and Chinese mushrooms and herbs, might contain a lot of good properties that may help orevebt cancer to certain extent, doesn't mean we treat it the same way we treat CRISPR.

−10

sorenflying t1_j7fqb0q wrote

CRISPR was literally discovered in random bacteria, you can’t just not look at anything that has promising leads. Grant funded research requires you to apply for this money and preliminary data is given as reasoning for why the researcher should be funded for what they are interested in looking at, so this could have had very promising preliminary data for them to even get this far. Also not every treatment works for every single person, if CRISPR ever becomes a widespread treatment option it doesn’t guarantee that it works for every single person, immunotherapy has this very issue.

Source: Am a PhD candidate in a renowned cancer immunology lab

Noobexe1 t1_j7g9lmp wrote

CRISPR is less feasible than the kurzgesagt video you watched made you think. It’s an experimental technology, not some kind of button you press to remove cancer from people.

TbonerT t1_j7fo9r6 wrote

These are easy, though. Scientists have figured out that an hour in a room with a 40hz LED significantly reduced Alzheimer’s symptoms and then it turns out that they can also do it with a sound.

crazyhadron t1_j7fa0mr wrote

The further science progresses, the more ancient practices and traditions seem valid.

Discovery through the scientific method converging with thousand of years of trial and error.

−19

TbonerT t1_j7foe1v wrote

That’s just confirmation bias.

JoshuaACNewman t1_j7geu6q wrote

No, drinking mercury makes you immortal and your personality is determined by the color of your bodily fluids.

And saying Ohm causes mechanical stresses in cancer at their resonant frequency.